Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using DeGiro

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bob24 wrote: »
    Thanks. For some reason the answer came from the Portuguese customer service email address (although I had used the Irish one to submit my question and the rep’s email signature says Ireland service desk); maybe it has to do with then writing style?

I actually can’t see iShares Physical Gold either. It looks like there is no issue with shares but the choice of ETFs is very limited. I suspect it might be something to do with my account.

Would you mind checking if you can see the one with ISIN JE00B1VS3333? (ETFS PHYSIC SILVER)

It shows up for me when I search for it. I can see the buy and sell buttons for it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

It shows up for me when I search for it. I can see the buy and sell buttons for it as well.

Cheers ... when I type the code or the name in the search box, nothing comes up.

I will have to chase them so, but after exchanging 2 emails on the topic the guy who is replying to me doesn’t seem very interested in helping. Hopefully it can be routed to someone else.

Could it be because I chose a custody profile? (my understanding is that it shouldn’t block any ETF - and there are other ETFs I can see, but this is the only choice I can think I was asked to make when I registered)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Cheers ... when I type the code or the name in the search box, nothing comes up.

I will have to chase them so, but after exchanging 2 emails on the topic they guy who his replying to me doesn’t seem very interested in helping. Hopefully it can be routed to someone else.

Could it be because I chose a custody profile? (my understanding is that it shouldn’t block any ETF - and there are other ETFs I can see, but this is the only choice I can think I was asked to make when I registered)

That's very strange I have a custody account and it appears to limit what you can access, I cannot find anything for JE00B1VS3333.

I've emailed to DeGiro to see what I cannot see it on the Custody account.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mine is a basic account so it looks like it's something specific to custody accounts seeing as both of you can't find it when you search.

heffo500 wrote: »
    That's very strange I have a custody account and it appears to limit what you can access, I cannot find anything for JE00B1VS3333.

Thanks. That is what I suspected; can you please let me know if they give you a better answer than they did to me? (I have also sent a follow-up email and will share here)

What is strange is that it is not blocking all ETFs, just some of them. They should really be more clear about it if it is intentional, as I definitely remember that when I chose the account type the UI mentioned ETFs as being available for custody accounts with no exception listed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Thanks. That is what I suspected; can you please let me know if they give you a better answer than they did to me? (I have also sent a follow-up email and will share here)

What is strange is that it is not blocking all ETFs, just some of them. They should really be more clear about it if it is intentional, as I definitely remember that when I chose the account type the UI mentioned ETFs as being available for custody accounts with no exception listed.

Unless its them trying to force people to use a Basic account so they can earn money using your securities in their lending pool of DEGIRO clients’ securities and are thus able to be loaned to third parties.

Unless its them trying to force people to use a Basic account so they can earn money using your securities in their lending pool of DEGIRO clients’ securities and are thus able to be loaned to third parties.

If it is the case, they are being very misleading about it. It says black on white here that ETFs are available with custody accounts, and I don’t see any exceptions listed: https://www.degiro.ie/helpcenter/faq/my-account/1120#2142/what-types-of-profiles-does-degiro-offer

So they came back to me and said I can’t access it “as this is a ETC (exchange-traded commodity)” rather than an ETF and my profile doesn’t allow for it.

I find it rather strange as they don’t bother making that distinction on their own documentation (it is on their list of commission free ETFs) and this restriction is not mentioned anywhere on their website.

So still not very happy with them :-/

Let me know what they come back to you with.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Maybe a stupid question.... but before Buying is the commission shown separately to the cost of the equities etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Maybe a stupid question.... but before Buying is the commission shown separately to the cost of the equities etc.

On the order screen you can see a breakdown of costs before purchase I believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭mrskinner

Guys quick question and may not be for this thread but anyway,
    I have BOI paper shares and I want to digitise these and add them to my Degiro portfolio.

I am looking for a how-to guide to get this done as I haven't a clue. I'm an intermediate investor at best but as for the legalities of the system and sector i am pretty much lost, especially when it comes to paper shares.

I bought them a few years ago, paid massive fees and don't want to ever fall into that trap again. All help appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Peace.
    Anyone able to answer this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭corglass

mrskinner wrote: »
    Anyone able to answer this?

How many shares are we taking here?

Your best bet may be to sell your paper shares and buy equivalent number of shares on the platform and suck up the fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭mrskinner

Degiro doesn’t do paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

Hi. Just opened account, lots to learn! Want to buy on the Australian exchange ... cannot find the share I am looking for. Can you advise please ? Possibly need to request from their customer service ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Hi. Just opened account, lots to learn! Want to buy on the Australian exchange ... cannot find the share I am looking for. Can you advise please ? Possibly need to request from their customer service ?

Yes, you can shoot clients@degiro.ie / .co.uk an email with the name of the company, exchange and listing ticker. Can take a few weeks to add but never had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Keith Dalton

Sabre Man wrote: »
    You need to use these details now:
    Name of beneficiary: Stichting DEGIRO
    Account number: NL37DEUT0319825019
    IBAN: NL37DEUT0319825019
    BIC: DEUTNL2A
    Bank Name: Deutsche Bank AG
    Address: De Entree 195, 1101 HE Amsterdam, Netherlands

So just delete the old payee as it's obsolete.

I have used these details. And my bank does not recognise the IBAN number. They are saying that it is not a real IBAN number. I called into my branch and spoke with the girl at the counter. She try’d to set it up with no joy.

Any1 else have this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

I have used these details. And my bank does not recognise the IBAN number. They are saying that it is not a real IBAN number. I called into my branch and spoke with the girl at the counter. She try’d to set it up with no joy.

Name and shame the bank. It is a perfectly legit IBAN: https://www.ibancalculator.com/iban_validieren.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I'm new to the investment business. After a shaky start (€100 lost in first two days) I am in the green thankfully for now (+3.5% overall after a few adjustments).

I was just wondering if people put stop losses as a safety cushion on all the products in their portfolio even if they are going long?

I hate the idea of being down money (I didn't realise how easy it can happen) and wouldn't mind putting a stop loss just above my BEP on each product. I realise there is still a risk of the stock price plunging and not recovering to the stop limit. I don't like the sound of having to sell at a loss or having the nightmare of holding onto a losing stock.

Are there any other downsides I'm not considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I'm new to the investment business. After a shaky start (€100 lost in first two days) I am in the green thankfully for now (+3.5% overall after a few adjustments).

I was just wondering if people put stop losses as a safety cushion on all the products in their portfolio even if they are going long?

I hate the idea of being down money (I didn't realise how easy it can happen) and wouldn't mind putting a stop loss just above my BEP on each product. I realise there is still a risk of the stock price plunging and not recovering to the stop limit. I don't like the sound of having to sell at a loss or having the nightmare of holding onto a losing stock.

Are there any other downsides I'm not considering?
    If you cant bear to lose money, don't invest.

I was down 15% at one stage. Didn't touch it. Invested a little more. Now i'm nearly up 50%, in the space of 13 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Taylor365 wrote: »
    If you cant bear to lose money, don't invest.

I was down 15% at one stage. Didn't touch it. Invested a little more. Now i'm nearly up 50%, in the space of 13 months!

Very good, must be satisfying.

I can see how not touching it is vital. I would be up 10% now had I left it alone and not got greedy. I feel like I've been lucky with the hard lessons so far and am happy enough to continue with caution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

Just a heads up for anyone who hasnt seen it but you'll no longer be able to use Trustly to fund your account after January 31st

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

howiya wrote: »
    Just a heads up for anyone who hasnt seen it but you'll no longer be able to use Trustly to fund your account after January 31st

Never worked for me always kept getting errors.

JMMCapital wrote: »

And to be fair they are pretty quick to credit SEPA transfers.

If I issue a transfer from a decent bank in the morning (ie a bank which does multiple intraday SEPA batches), my experience has been that the money gets credited to degiro the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

JMMCapital wrote: »

I've never used it as they didn't support my bank (KBC). Just thought it was worth making people aware in case they didn't see the notice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭sk8board

Same here - aib transfer same day

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pluto_322

Originally Posted by Sabre Man viewpost.gif
    You need to use these details now:
    Name of beneficiary: Stichting DEGIRO
    Account number: NL37DEUT0319825019
    IBAN: NL37DEUT0319825019
    BIC: DEUTNL2A
    Bank Name: Deutsche Bank AG
    Address: De Entree 195, 1101 HE Amsterdam, Netherlands

So just delete the old payee as it's obsolete.

IBAN is correct : NL37DEUT0319825019
    BIC should read : DEUTNL2N

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

sk8board wrote: »
    Same here - aib transfer same day

Not for me unfortunately, still waiting 24 hours, Trustly used be super quick.
    Don’t seem to be able to save non-Irish IBAN in list of payees either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭sk8board

towger wrote: »
    Not for me unfortunately, still waiting 24 hours, Trustly used be super quick.
    Don’t seem to be able to save non-Irish IBAN in list of payees either.

Are you aib? If I transfer before noon, I usually get the lodgement email from DEGIRO around 3:30 and can get orders in before EU markets close

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭scheister

Are you aib? If I transfer before noon, I usually get the lodgement email from DEGIRO around 3:30 and can get orders in before EU markets close

I am currently 2 days waiting for a transfer into degiro. I am using KBC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Turns out I screwed up and transferred from a different AIB account than the one registered with DEGIRO. I’ve added that other one now as a linked account and all is good.

Advertisement