Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foods to aid weight loss

Options
  • 25-01-2020 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Anyone suggest food/supplement to aid weight loss

Apple Cidar Vinegar Supplement

What teas are good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,132 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I hear a lot about Apple Cider Vinegar, as if its the answer to everything.

I would say the best thing for weight loss is a reduction in calories each day.
    No magic supplement is going to help if you don't take in less calories than you are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭blackbox

Sugar free chewing gum is the best thing to add zero calories and reduce intake as it helps to avoid snacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

userhere wrote: »

What teas are good?

To aid weight loss, reduce the amount of calories you consume. Drinking apple cider vinegar won't reduce your calories. Tea won't reduce your calories.

Better food choices will reduce your calories.

I'm not trying to be facetious...I'm just sick of people being conned by shady marketing that taking some product will help them lose weight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

The best food would be less food.

Do more exercise so you burn off more calories per day than you take in. Don't take any diet pills etc, just track your calories (my fitness pal etc) and you'll soon see how calorific those few bags of crisps or chocolate bars and what it takes to burn them off.

You won't be long improving your eating habits if you do this. Either that or you'll decide it's not worth the effort and delete the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

blackbox wrote: »
    Sugar free chewing gum is the best thing to add zero calories and reduce intake as it helps to avoid snacking.

On the contrary studies have shown that having sweet tastes in your diet will cause the body to crave more of them. So your sugar free gum is just like a Coke Zero in that it sets us on a precedent for sweet things, and also tells us that it’s ok to dip into these kind of foods. It’s not. It’s a Trojan horse than will bite you in the ass

• Advertisement

If a cup of tea means biscuits, cakes or buns, maybe forget about tea too if you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 userhere

No actually I meant teas like green teas etc.
    Tea with biscuits and cakes are not what I meant ...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think things like certain teas and apple cider vinegar or whatever have been proven to do things like speed up your metabolism etc...

... to a very, very minor degree. To the point where it's basically going to be negligible. And introducing something into your diet which you may not like all that much for the very little benefit you might get isn't going to be anywhere as good as finding things you do enjoy but which works with your diet, as it'll be much easier to stick to drinking/eating that than something like herbal teas (unless of course, you do really like herbal teas) or whatever else.

Find what you enjoy having and that works with your diet. That's what'll work for you long term and will have the greater overall effect rather than something that might ever so slightly increase your metabolism but that you find it a chore to drink/eat.

Also, I think NIMAN's point was more so that a lot of people tend to gravitate towards biscuits/treats with their tea, so even switching to a green tea or something could increase your cravings for what you might normally have with your tea, making it harder to stay off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm not trying to be facetious...I'm just sick of people being conned by shady marketing that taking some product will help them lose weight
    Up there with "detox" as the biggest waste of time, energy and money.
    Bandara wrote: »
    On the contrary studies have shown that having sweet tastes in your diet will cause the body to crave more of them.
    The studies I've seen have given this as a hypothesis rather than proving it. Largely based upon more obese people drinking diet drinks rather than healthy weight people. Correlation rather than causation.

Anyone suggest food.... to aid weight loss

Veg .......... carrots are 40kcals ish per 100g, chickpeas are 165kcals ish per 100g, spinnach is 40kcals ish per 100g.

Load up your food intake with loads and loads of beans, carrots and leafy green veg for a few weeks along with some meat/fish as lean protein sources and carbs and you won't be wondering about magic tea supplements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Myfitnesspal too to keep track of what's going into you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

No foods really aid weightloss to any significant degree (also some of those teas and apple cider vinegar etc are bad for your teeth, so be careful)

You need to frame your question around what foods will be most satisfying for the least outlay of calories - basically, whats going to keep your calorie intake in check but keep you feeling full and satisfied (and your paw out of the cookie jar).

Focus on including sources of good quality protein in your diet and try to balance and carb dense foods (rice/pasta etc) with lots of salad and veg, as they'll bulk out your plate and are not calorie dense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I am trying to be more mindful of my calorie intake since the new year. I have cut out bread and so am having porridge with seeds and blueberries for breakfast and lots of salads for lunch. I have swapped cauliflower rice and cauliflower rice plus for pasta and ordinary rice and have found it convenient and easy. My local SuperValu always have them in the freezer.
    I have also cut out booze which inevitably led to a lot of bad food decisions and late snacking.
    I am trying to avoid processed foods as much as possible.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

I find shiritaki noodles an amazing help. They have feck all calories and carbs and are full of fibre. I have them with stir fried chicken and veg instead of rice or noodles and they cut down the calorie and carb content of the meal massively and are very filling. They are also good in soups and broths. I get mine on Amazon but you can get them in Holland and Barrett too but they aren't cheap.

No actually I meant teas like green teas etc.
    Tea with biscuits and cakes are not what I meant ...

Sorry I wasn't trying to be smart, but I have known people to drink green tea during the day then have Chinese or pizza for tea.

I'm basically trying to say it's a whole approach thats needed. No point going out buying green tea or Apple vinegar if you then top it off later with junk or inappropriate food.

There is no miracle cure to weight loss. It is actually very simple, it's just that people can't find a way of eating less calories than they burn. If most people ate less and moved more they would lose weight, but many can't manage to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lisa2017

What teas are good?

Green tea & turmeric (you buy these teabag) can aid digestion.
    In my experience, as a coach, one of the best ways to loose weight is to become aware of your relationship with food. Then understand this relationship and finally create a new one (the one you want). So a 3 step approach.
    This is one of the most sustainable ways to loose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Apparently eating/chewing celery burns more calories than there is in the celery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Apparently eating/chewing celery burns more calories than there is in the celery

The chicken wings and blue cheese I always seem to eat them with are also negative calories, right?

Advertisement