Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Garcia v Luke Campbell Fight Thread

• 02-01-2021 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭

Ring walks expected to be at 11pm Irish time on DAZN.

Looking forward to it tbh. Too many question marks over Garcia given his lack of rounds to have a concrete opinion on it imo but it's definitely a massive step up for him on paper. Campbell a much improved fighter under McGuigan. I don't think Garcia is any great shakes as a pure boxer, seems to be hittable and doesn't seem to have much of an inside game but I'm not sure Campbell is really the man to expose that to be honest.

Reckon Campbell gets dropped early, goes a bit gun shy and loses a decision in a 116-112 type of fight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Butson

Really looking forward to this fight.
    We will surely find out tonight if Garcia is all hype. Campbell is a very good boxer that has great ameteur pedigree and has been in there with Linares and Loma.
    I can see Campbell winning the rounds but getting dropped by one big punch from Garcia.
    If Garcia does win in style, it would do wonders for boxing in America. Like it or not the guy is huge on social media and that matters these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

Wow I came on here to check walk out times, if this is expected to be on shortly after 11 I'll 100% watch.

Not seen much of Garcia outside of highlights, was impressed by Campbell in his loss to Loma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,621 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have not watched too much of Garcia, but if he is expecting to live up to the hype, then he should absolutely be beating Campbell, who is an amateur in a pro game. He does 3-4 things and that is it. Has beaten absolutely nobody, and the times he did step up, was shown up..

Garcia, also, has beaten nobody..

All the pundits are picking Garcia, several by KO-TKO.

walshb wrote: »
    I have not watched too much of Garcia, but if he is expecting to live up to the hype, then he should absolutely be beating Campbell, who is an amateur in a pro game. He does 3-4 things and that is it. Has beaten absolutely nobody, and the times he did step up, was shown up..

Garcia, also, has beaten nobody..

All the pundits are picking Garcia, several by KO-TKO.

All the pundits also back Dubois to blow Joyce out. Didn't happen.

Butson wrote: »
    All the pundits also back Dubois to blow Joyce out. Didn't happen.

I know..

Campbell winning should not at all be a shock..

• Advertisement

Great to see a US fight at 11pm here.

Is DAZN having issues for anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Is DAZN having issues for anyone?

Working fine for me so far

Serious opening round with Alvarado Kriel here. High pace right out of the gate.

weemcd wrote: »
    Serious opening round with Alvarado Kriel here. High pace right out of the gate.

And the second round WOW.

Throughly enjoying this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Are there any other channels this is available on?

DAZN commentary already starting to grate me tbh.

They were trying to make comparisons for Alvarado, at a push I would maybe liken him to Valero.

Fun fighter Alvarado. Plenty of flaws that will surely be exposed down the line but can't complain when he's that entertaining.

Great end to this round too! Looks like a proper fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Are there any other channels this is available on?

Bump

It's only on DAZN. Only €1.99 well worth subscribing to.

This undercard has been excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Main event started yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Next fight. Undercard was surprisingly good, couple of cracking fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

DAZN commentary already starting to grate me tbh.

They were trying to make comparisons for Alvarado, at a push I would maybe liken him to Valero.

It just doesn't make any sense, why when they're spending millions of dollars on the sport can't they put a good commentary team together.

Perhaps I was spoiled growing up on commentary teams like Darke and Watt (okay he had his faults, but his voice was perfect), Lampley, Merchant, and Co. at HBO, Steve Albert and Al Bernsetin on Showtime.

Instead now we get Chris Mannix and Sergio Mora.
    Adam Smith and Matthew Macklin/Carl Froch/Tony Bellew.
    Christ it's depressing !

• Advertisement

In 20+ fights Garcia has fought nobody of note?

This will be a test, the boxing world will hope he is the real deal but I like Luke, he's limited but brave and very durable.

Actually thought he gave a decent account of himself v Loma.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Morrison J wrote: »
    It's only on DAZN. Only €1.99 well worth subscribing to.

Can’t get it in the six counties I don’t think

Big Ears wrote: »
    It just doesn't make any sense, why when they're spending millions of dollars on the sport can't they put a good commentary team together.

Perhaps I was spoiled growing up on commentary teams like Darke and Watt (okay he had his faults, but his voice was perfect), Lampley, Merchant, and Co. at HBO, Steve Albert and Al Bernsetin on Showtime.

Instead now we get Chris Mannix and Sergio Mora.
    Adam Smith and Matthew Macklin/Carl Froch/Tony Bellew.
    Christ it's depressing !

There's no chemistry between the commentary team, they're all operating as individuals and it shows. There's a playful give and take between successful commentators and it's not there at all tonight.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Can’t get it in the six counties I don’t think

Oh really? They've been advertising it as available in the UK and Ireland. Didn't realise.

Campbell is the youngest looking 33 year old I've ever seen ðŸ˜

He won silver at the world's in 2011, yanks saying he was an amateur world champ as well as Olympic champ.

Have feeling Garcia is pure hype job. Mightn't be exposed tonight but in good time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Campbell is the youngest looking 33 year old I've ever seen ðŸ˜

He won silver at the world's in 2011, yanks saying he was an amateur world champ as well as Olympic champ.

Have feeling Garcia is pure hype job. Mightn't be exposed tonight but in good time.

He has an olympic gold medal beating Nevin in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

There's no chemistry between the commentary team, they're all operating as individuals and it shows. There's a playful give and take between successful commentators and it's not there at all tonight.

That's definitely a major factor, but they simply don't have the voices for it either.
    Grating was the perfect description of how they sound.

I mean even if you take Jim Watt from my previous post, he talked plenty of **** at times, but his voice was captivating and added to the occasion.

On the otherhand, while his voice does seem to be trying to imiate Michael Buffer, the ring announcer is excellent.
    Oh really? They've been advertising it as available in the UK and Ireland. Didn't realise.

Yeah it felt strange for them to say, ''Those watching in the US, UK, Ireland and around the World !'', differentitating Ireland from around the World. We've finally made it :D

He has an olympic gold medal beating Nevin in the final.

He's an Olympic champ not a world champ.

Garcia is wide open when on the offence. Haney or Loma would be licking their lips.

Edit: and he's down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Pretty impressive first round by Garcia. Looks comfortable in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

What a punch

Lovely shot by Campbell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Come on Campbell!

This lad is no De La Hoya. Being so flat footed seems to be his gimmick too ala Naseem Hamad.

We know what happens when you move up the levels

Campbell doing a lot of good body work that's going unmentioned.

Campbell doing a lot of good body work that's going unmentioned.

Interesting to see if Garcia has energy to throw same shapes in latter rounds

Dazn commentary is horrendous

• Advertisement

Garcia starting to get on top now.

Garcia is a bizarre fighter. Lots of shapes, his offence is all over the shop. Did he take up boxing late? He like a small Deontay Wilder in ways. Full of aggression but not a lot of quality.

Haney would beat him with ease.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Garcia is a bizarre fighter. Lots of shapes, his offence is all over the shop. Did he take up boxing late? He like a small Deontay Wilder in ways.

He’s impressing me in some ways, doing very well after being knocked down but yeah he seems like he still has an awful lot to learn. I suppose he’s only 22 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

This Dazn commentary is ridiculously biased..

Jubilant scenes jaysus.

They really want this lad to be the real deal.

• Advertisement

Not convinced by Garcia at all, he goes to sleep if he fights anyone heavy handed.

The commentators calling for teo & Davis fights haha

That was an impressive response after the knockdown in fairness to Garcia. Lovely finishing shot. Really needs to add some head movement to his game though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

DAZN are right up there with Sky Sports for hype!

Cracking bodyshot all the same

Good win in the end to be fair. Will have learned an awful lot from that fight. Cracking body shot.

On a side note

America has nearly 1/4 of the world's covid cases and yet they still allow fans in an indoor arena .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Garcia is very crude.
    I think if Campbell was a bit more composed himself he would have got him out of there.

Commentators are definitely hard to listen to though, there were seeing very little of Campbell's work barring the knockdown and hyping Garcai's wild misses.

Will watch it tomorrow..

What round it stopped?

He will make a fortune if went the route of early Mayweather/Hamed where people pay to see him get KO'd.

And he fights some tomato cans of course.

Something very annoying about his leaping about

Will watch it tomorrow..

What round it stopped?

7th round. It was an enjoyable watch, Garcia still looks very green and not ready for the big fights yet but an impressive win after being dropped in the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

ianob7 wrote: »
    On a side note

America has nearly 1/4 of the world's covid cases and yet they still allow fans in an indoor arena .....

Oh, no getting away from the C word.

• Advertisement
Advertisement