Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Garcia v Luke Campbell Fight Thread

Options
  • 02-01-2021 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭

Ring walks expected to be at 11pm Irish time on DAZN.

Looking forward to it tbh. Too many question marks over Garcia given his lack of rounds to have a concrete opinion on it imo but it's definitely a massive step up for him on paper. Campbell a much improved fighter under McGuigan. I don't think Garcia is any great shakes as a pure boxer, seems to be hittable and doesn't seem to have much of an inside game but I'm not sure Campbell is really the man to expose that to be honest.

Reckon Campbell gets dropped early, goes a bit gun shy and loses a decision in a 116-112 type of fight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Butson

Really looking forward to this fight.
    We will surely find out tonight if Garcia is all hype. Campbell is a very good boxer that has great ameteur pedigree and has been in there with Linares and Loma.
    I can see Campbell winning the rounds but getting dropped by one big punch from Garcia.
    If Garcia does win in style, it would do wonders for boxing in America. Like it or not the guy is huge on social media and that matters these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

Wow I came on here to check walk out times, if this is expected to be on shortly after 11 I'll 100% watch.

Not seen much of Garcia outside of highlights, was impressed by Campbell in his loss to Loma.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,686 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have not watched too much of Garcia, but if he is expecting to live up to the hype, then he should absolutely be beating Campbell, who is an amateur in a pro game. He does 3-4 things and that is it. Has beaten absolutely nobody, and the times he did step up, was shown up..

Garcia, also, has beaten nobody..

All the pundits are picking Garcia, several by KO-TKO.

walshb wrote: »
    I have not watched too much of Garcia, but if he is expecting to live up to the hype, then he should absolutely be beating Campbell, who is an amateur in a pro game. He does 3-4 things and that is it. Has beaten absolutely nobody, and the times he did step up, was shown up..

Garcia, also, has beaten nobody..

All the pundits are picking Garcia, several by KO-TKO.

All the pundits also back Dubois to blow Joyce out. Didn't happen.

Butson wrote: »
    All the pundits also back Dubois to blow Joyce out. Didn't happen.

I know..

Campbell winning should not at all be a shock..

• Advertisement

Great to see a US fight at 11pm here.

Is DAZN having issues for anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

walshb wrote: »
    Is DAZN having issues for anyone?

Working fine for me so far

Serious opening round with Alvarado Kriel here. High pace right out of the gate.

weemcd wrote: »
    Serious opening round with Alvarado Kriel here. High pace right out of the gate.

And the second round WOW.

Throughly enjoying this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Are there any other channels this is available on?

DAZN commentary already starting to grate me tbh.

They were trying to make comparisons for Alvarado, at a push I would maybe liken him to Valero.

Fun fighter Alvarado. Plenty of flaws that will surely be exposed down the line but can't complain when he's that entertaining.

Great end to this round too! Looks like a proper fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Are there any other channels this is available on?

Bump

It's only on DAZN. Only €1.99 well worth subscribing to.

This undercard has been excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Main event started yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Next fight. Undercard was surprisingly good, couple of cracking fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

DAZN commentary already starting to grate me tbh.

They were trying to make comparisons for Alvarado, at a push I would maybe liken him to Valero.

It just doesn't make any sense, why when they're spending millions of dollars on the sport can't they put a good commentary team together.

Perhaps I was spoiled growing up on commentary teams like Darke and Watt (okay he had his faults, but his voice was perfect), Lampley, Merchant, and Co. at HBO, Steve Albert and Al Bernsetin on Showtime.

Instead now we get Chris Mannix and Sergio Mora.
    Adam Smith and Matthew Macklin/Carl Froch/Tony Bellew.
    Christ it's depressing !

• Advertisement

In 20+ fights Garcia has fought nobody of note?

This will be a test, the boxing world will hope he is the real deal but I like Luke, he's limited but brave and very durable.

Actually thought he gave a decent account of himself v Loma.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Morrison J wrote: »
    It's only on DAZN. Only €1.99 well worth subscribing to.

Can’t get it in the six counties I don’t think

Big Ears wrote: »
    It just doesn't make any sense, why when they're spending millions of dollars on the sport can't they put a good commentary team together.

Perhaps I was spoiled growing up on commentary teams like Darke and Watt (okay he had his faults, but his voice was perfect), Lampley, Merchant, and Co. at HBO, Steve Albert and Al Bernsetin on Showtime.

Instead now we get Chris Mannix and Sergio Mora.
    Adam Smith and Matthew Macklin/Carl Froch/Tony Bellew.
    Christ it's depressing !

There's no chemistry between the commentary team, they're all operating as individuals and it shows. There's a playful give and take between successful commentators and it's not there at all tonight.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Can’t get it in the six counties I don’t think

Oh really? They've been advertising it as available in the UK and Ireland. Didn't realise.

Campbell is the youngest looking 33 year old I've ever seen ðŸ˜

He won silver at the world's in 2011, yanks saying he was an amateur world champ as well as Olympic champ.

Have feeling Garcia is pure hype job. Mightn't be exposed tonight but in good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Campbell is the youngest looking 33 year old I've ever seen ðŸ˜

He won silver at the world's in 2011, yanks saying he was an amateur world champ as well as Olympic champ.

Have feeling Garcia is pure hype job. Mightn't be exposed tonight but in good time.

He has an olympic gold medal beating Nevin in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

There's no chemistry between the commentary team, they're all operating as individuals and it shows. There's a playful give and take between successful commentators and it's not there at all tonight.

That's definitely a major factor, but they simply don't have the voices for it either.
    Grating was the perfect description of how they sound.

I mean even if you take Jim Watt from my previous post, he talked plenty of **** at times, but his voice was captivating and added to the occasion.

On the otherhand, while his voice does seem to be trying to imiate Michael Buffer, the ring announcer is excellent.
    Morrison J wrote: »
    Oh really? They've been advertising it as available in the UK and Ireland. Didn't realise.

Yeah it felt strange for them to say, ''Those watching in the US, UK, Ireland and around the World !'', differentitating Ireland from around the World. We've finally made it :D

He has an olympic gold medal beating Nevin in the final.

He's an Olympic champ not a world champ.

Garcia is wide open when on the offence. Haney or Loma would be licking their lips.

Edit: and he's down

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Pretty impressive first round by Garcia. Looks comfortable in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

What a punch

Advertisement