Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to add to Fish and Rice for flavour

Options
  • 27-07-2020 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

What would you add to the following ingredients to ramp up the flavour

White Rice
    White Fish
    Carrots
    Peas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Lemon, goes well with fish and rice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I second lemon. Paprika gives dishes a nice flavour too, and fresh chives make it even more refreshing. I think that's my favourite flavour combination in plain food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Salt for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

bladespin wrote: »
    Lemon, goes well with fish and rice.

Put the lemon in the tinfoil with the fish in the oven. Delicious.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Ultima Thule

A dash of Soya sauce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Depends on the objective. You could just use soy sauce or a dressing with some lime, garlic, chilli, soy sauce and fish sauce all mixed together and drizzled over the rest. Would be high in salt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

samphire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Teriyaki sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

You could just add 1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric to the water when boiling them (don't forget salt) and maybe buy a better quality of rice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Some great suggestions on this infographic

https://i.redd.it/bfetd596wi751.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Have the fish with a rice cake.

Win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

with fish i have heated a small bit of pepperoni in the frying pan before so that the oil leaks out and then just fried the fish in that. gives a nice subtle hint of flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Chips

Tefral wrote: »
    with fish i have heated a small bit of pepperoni in the frying pan before so that the oil leaks out and then just fried the fish in that. gives a nice subtle hint of flavour.

Came in to say the same, only I use chorizo. Just a few small pieces releases enough oil to fry either the fish or rice in without being overly unhealthy, especially seeing as you don't need any other fats for cooking the fish. Adds salt also, so be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Came in to say the same, only I use chorizo. Just a few small pieces releases enough oil to fry either the fish or rice in without being overly unhealthy, especially seeing as you don't need any other fats for cooking the fish. Adds salt also, so be careful.

Bacon lardons work well too...

Also, rub some Sumac seasoning on the fish if you fry or grill it, it’s damn tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

frag420 wrote: »
    Bacon lardons work well too...

Also, rub some Sumac seasoning on the fish if you fry or grill it, it’s damn tasty!

Never even heard of sumac until a few weeks ago. It's really good as a rub as you suggested. Sweet and tangy and incredibly lemony.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭ongarite

Have the fish with a rice cake.

Win.

Eight o’clock in the morning I’ll have fish and a rice cake. At 10 o’clock, I’ll have fish. At 12 o’clock, I’ll have fish and a rice cake. At two o’clock, I’ll have fish. At four o’clock – just before I train – I’ll have fish and a rice cake. I’ll train, I’ll have me fish. I’ll come home, have some more fish, with a rice cake, and then have some more fish before I go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭trashcan

A dash of Soya sauce

Yep, soy sauce with rice gives it a great flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

At a bare minimum I'd be adding a source of fat or oil, a herb or spice, and salt.
    The better suggestions above combine those btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

ongarite wrote: »
    Eight o’clock in the morning I’ll have fish and a rice cake. At 10 o’clock, I’ll have fish. At 12 o’clock, I’ll have fish and a rice cake. At two o’clock, I’ll have fish. At four o’clock – just before I train – I’ll have fish and a rice cake. I’ll train, I’ll have me fish. I’ll come home, have some more fish, with a rice cake, and then have some more fish before I go to bed.

I use fish and rice a lot when I'm trying to lean in but that's a lot, why so limited???

Just being nosey soz ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

smoked coley is amazing for flavour as well imo

but yeah sumac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

A simple home made parsley sauce with a bit of vegetable stock added will elevate that dish quite nicely.

Another alternative is to cook the fish (cut into chunks) in cream with Samphire and small amount vegetable stock for taste for 5 minutes and you have a really luxurious meal. This works with rice, pasta or potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

For the rice, use a knorr stockpot, depending the flavor profile of the protein you are having they have lots of choices.

Personally i find the kaffir lime & ginger or smoked chilli and tomato the best.

I have used the lamb stock pot for noodles, amazing flavor added.

If you used soy with the fish, the kaffir lime & ginger to cook the rice would be a good combo i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭ongarite

bladespin wrote: »
    I use fish and rice a lot when I'm trying to lean in but that's a lot, why so limited???

Just being nosey soz ;)

Its a bodybuilding meme that got attention from BBC3 documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 90slovingDJ

soy and lemon

butter and lemon (life's too short - plus you need some fats)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    What would you add to the following ingredients to ramp up the flavour

White Rice
    White Fish
    Carrots
    Peas

There's a shaker mix I use on pretty much everything:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slap-Ya-Mama-Cajun-Seasoning/dp/B000KS3L4E/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=slap+your+mama&qid=1597934273&sr=8-2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

White miso paste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Pesto!

Advertisement