Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honor Wifi 6 / AX router

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

sibersha wrote:
    Do you find it a bit limited with only 4 maximum devices on 2.4GHz?

I don't really use that band tbh. I had a couple of smart bulbs that needed it but they were more hassle than they were worth. That's just me though of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭sibersha

Thanks, I have a few smart bulbs and an older smart tv on that band, I have a spare powerline adaptor which could free up the tv's slot on 2.4 band.

Thorn whether to pull the trigger or not.

Can I keep my old router running 2.4GHz band and use this for 5GHz connections?

Turned off modem mode but turned of 5ghz on the virgin hub - kept 2.4Ghz on.

5Ghz is on for the router.....both seem to be working fine.

Cant vouch for performance speed on 2.4Ghz and i dont know how your old hub compares to mine, but seems technically possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭chillinpenguin

Hi Guys,

Looking at this and wondering could it be the answer to my problems?

I currently have VM hub 3. Brand new house but despite the heavy insulation, I have almost only one dead zones in the upstairs ensuite house.

My issue however is I have a lot of smart devices (lights switches etc) 30+ and they tend to drop off the network every now and then. Also, there is Zero outside coverage meaning a Ring doorbell or stepping out the back garden for some quite to take a zoom call while the 3-month-old screams is not an option.

Would this modem potentially help with the above issues?

If you have a lot of devices that would need to connect to it, you either need to look at a different option, or look at multiple units of this one. Each router can serve 16 devices simultaneously (more if some of the devices arent all in use at the same time). Im not sure if you get a daisy chain effect from having more than 1 in a mesh arrangement (i.e 16+16+16).

Id say its going to be an improvement on your Virgin hub, but i dont know if its going to solve all those problems for you (at least 1 wont - a couple might).

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭chillinpenguin

Thanks for the advice. While at home today I have split the network and put as much as I can on the 5ghz. To see will that help. I might pick up one of these routers anyway as I'm assuming it would have better signal strength than the Hub

I just need it to work 1 meter from the backdoor.

The offer has been extended for another 26 days it seems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 spj

Thanks again to the op for the heads up on this.
    Have just taken delivery of two of them.
    Anyone got any setup tips or learnings to share?
    Cheers in advance.

Download the huawei AI Life app - a lot of the functions and ability to check if things are working can be done from that. Otherwise, as i said before; i felt setup was quick and easy.

Let me know how you get on with pairing them into a mesh. I havent done that yet! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

R11 wrote: »
    I'm with Eir so have one of their crappy routers. I live in a 3 storey house and wifi reception is crap in our top bedroom. I have sky q box and got one of their mini booster things but doest do much to improve WiFi..... Would one of these improve WiFi to top bedroom?

Anyone try this with Eir?

Second one arrived. Plugged power in, plugged it into the first one. It autoregistered on the AI Life app as a networked router / extender.

Unplugged the second one, unhooked it from the first one.

Plugged second one back in, pressed the 'H' button on both and they paired wirelessly.

I unplugged the second one again and moved it up into the office room (which is more or less directly above the first router). My laptop chose to connect to the first one (which is downstairs) rather than the second one (which was paired to the first one) which was beside the laptop. Ok so.

Left second one in the office and moved myself and my phone into the kids room (which is the biggest deadzone in the house for wifi) and while my phone was choosing the second one to connect to (good), the internet speed was still very bad (at best 5Mbps) (bad).

****e.

I read an article a while back that it can be sometimes more important that the routers be on the same floor as each other to ensure good signal between them, as opposed to the second one being near to where you want good wifi signal, so i moved the second one from the office to the play room (which is next door to the first one and underneath the kids room). (Auto paired again once i plugged it back in, which is great for figuring out where to move it.)

Went back to kids room with my phone and problem is solved. Getting 140Mbps in the kids room, which is the result i was hoping for. Getting minimum that all over the house now (and out into the garden as the play room is at the back of the house and has a window out into the garden.

So takeaway from this will be make sure the two boxes are on the same level of your house to extend the wifi. They have no problem projecting signal upwards once they have decent signal between themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭ablelocks

patmac wrote: »
    Anyone try this with Eir?

would like to know this too. i had always assumed that at some point, the eir modem/router would have to be replaced (and from what Ive read here, this unit doesn't replace the eir box), so besides getting another decent bit of kit thru BA, do i actually need this ? I have a google mesh network of 5 units + the eir box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

wow...

Id love to know what a lot of that means.
    I have Sky broadband and there is a fibre network.

At the moment , the sunroom at the back of the house is a bit of a dead zone, and i use a wifi extender to ensure to ps and digi box.

these are connected to the extender plugged in in the sun room by cable, and it does help with speed.

IS there a better/alternative solution to that ? Or is that the only option?

Sorry for jumping in, but this thread has made me realise, im getting more and more clueless! :/

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

How easy would it be to set up a VPN with Nord or ExpressVPN on one of these?

very fine price.

thanks in advance

ablelocks wrote: »
    would like to know this too. i had always assumed that at some point, the eir modem/router would have to be replaced (and from what Ive read here, this unit doesn't replace the eir box), so besides getting another decent bit of kit thru BA, do i actually need this ? I have a google mesh network of 5 units + the eir box.

I dont know about the Eir router, but that mesh network should really be doing the job that the 2x Honor routers are doing for me. I dont think these routers are going to improve things for you.
    greenspurs wrote: »
    wow...

Id love to know what a lot of that means.
    I have Sky broadband and there is a fibre network.

At the moment , the sunroom at the back of the house is a bit of a dead zone, and i use a wifi extender to ensure to ps and digi box.

these are connected to the extender plugged in in the sun room by cable, and it does help with speed.

IS there a better/alternative solution to that ? Or is that the only option?

Sorry for jumping in, but this thread has made me realise, im getting more and more clueless! :/

I dont think extenders are great myself - do you have Sky TV as well? If so, their Sky Q boxes act as mesh wifi routers when you also have sky broadband.

I would imagine a better router would help, but i think it would have to be trial and error to find out for sure.
    Tigerbaby wrote: »
    How easy would it be to set up a VPN with Nord or ExpressVPN on one of these?

very fine price.

thanks in advance

It looks like the VPN providers have considered this; i found this via a quick google. Havent been able to read it but the fact they have a how to would be encouraging to me. https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn-setup/huawei-router-l2tp/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Baggly

your link (https://www.expressvpn.com/support/v...i-router-l2tp/)

only routes back to the current Boards page

thanks again

Apologies that article is still indexed on google but has been removed from that site. If you do a search in page for VPN here (https://www.gsmarena.com/honor_router_3_review-news-44727.php) it confirms you get support for L2TP and PPTP VPN standards. Id say you will be covered, as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gally45

Just want to double check can this be used as an access point only for wifi? I have a vodafone router/modem which needs to be connected to get vodafone tv. So I plan on running from this vf router through cat 6 to other side of house and then using a router (this one if suitable?) with access mode only to get a better wifi signal.

Maybe someone else can answer that in regards to the vodafone router - i am not familar with them. Think it should be possible, however. It was for my Virgin router.

Advertisement