Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

mindhorn wrote: »
    Back again.

1st line - Godparents are Joseph Nolan and Margaret Kinely? My guess is that this should read Kinnealy?

1st line - Witness is Elizabeth...?

Perhaps you have a Kinnealy but there's also Kinealy, Kenneally, Conneally etc... I'd suggest Madden for the witness' surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭mindhorn

Hermy wrote: »
    2nd from the bottom - Army for both of them.

1st line - Uzelle, same as the bride? Otherwise Waldon, Waldron or something similar?

Thanks everyone, great help as usual.

The reason I think army is a bit odd is that he's approx. 50 years of age at this point. Occupations up until this point included labourer/porter/etc. Bit old to suddenly appear in the army? I know a couple of his children signed up to the RDF but wasn't expecting to see him have any involvement.

I was thinking Uzelle originally but looks too different to the text above (Mary Jane and Edward). And I think Madden looks right considering the style of the M for Mary. Missed the profession when looking at this the first time, does that say soldier for both father's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

<The reason I think army is a bit odd is that he's approx. 50 years of age at this point. Occupations up until this point included labourer/porter/etc. Bit old to suddenly appear in the army? I know a couple of his children signed up to the RDF but wasn't expecting to see him have any involvement.>

It is possible that he worked for the Army as a civilian. My great aunt was married to a canteen steward in an army barracks, but he wasn't a soldier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you looked for army papers for him?
    I also thought it was unusual that it did not say 'soldier' or give the rank or regiment, but perhaps as Kildare Fan says he was a civilian working with the army.

I checked nam.ac.uk but can only find a record of his son there (guess to be expected since that only covers the period 1920-1922). Also tried FMP. This reads 'Soldier' for both fathers, right? It's a tiny bit more specific than just 'Army'.

As an aside, he lived around the corner from the British Army Recruiting Office on Pearse Street.

mindhorn wrote: »
    I checked nam.ac.uk but can only find a record of his son there (guess to be expected since that only covers the period 1920-1922). Also tried FMP. This reads 'Soldier' for both fathers, right? It's a tiny bit more specific than just 'Army'.

As an aside, he lived around the corner from the British Army Recruiting Office on Pearse Street.

Did he always live there? I can see an older soldier on fold3.com , age given as either 38 or 44 (!) Joseph Whelan, but from Kingstown.

You prompted me to go looking again for his death cert (1929) and managed to find it, thanks! Cert states that he was an ex-British soldier so that confirms that. Address is the same as at date of death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1873/020691/7259757.pdf

Thomas McGivern, top of the page. His occupation please. He's a clerk of some description but I can't make out the first word. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Dispatch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Looks like "Wesfaulch"... could it be "Despatch"? (typo?)

A New earth got there before me.

Dispatch vs. despatch
    There is no difference between dispatch and despatch. The latter is an alternative spelling that was common in the 19th century and earlier, but dispatch has gained undisputed dominance in modern English. Despatch has mostly disappeared from the language—except in the U.K., where it appears in place of dispatch about a third of the time—and dispatch is the preferred spelling for all senses of the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Thank you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rusheens

I'd appreciate the help with the first word in the attached. The entry is under the first column, "Nature of Mental Symptoms", and it's the notation near the bottom, three above the gloved fingers of the digitiser.

I can't make out the first word, the rest says "...alternatively joyous & melancholic".

Many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Incoherence ( also 'alternately' and not 'alternatively')

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rusheens

thank you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Hi,
    I need help with deciphering a baptism record (5th entry on left page) dated 17 March 1824 on this link.

Father's surname if possible?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

montgo wrote: »
    Father's surname if possible?
    Gleeson?

Genealogy Forum Mod

‘of Mich. Tiernan and Mary Tiernan.’ ??

• Advertisement

Yes Hermy, it looks like Gleeson but I was hoping for Guerin/Geron. Although now I think it might be Gorman as I've found other baptisms in 1830s for children born to Michael Gorman & Mary (her surname is difficult to decipher as well).

Tks again.

Mick Tator wrote: »
    ‘of Mich. Tiernan and Mary Tiernan.’ ??

I think you might be right - first letter's a T rather than a G.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I thought the father was Geeran.

Thanks spurious for your input. I was looking for a William Guerin (many spelling variations) born c1824 so was hoping that this could be his baptism. I'll note it as a possibility.
    Thanks all for your assistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭VirginiaB

Hello everyone, Can anyone figure out the last name of the male witness to this marriage? Marriage is Martin Herrick to Ann Morris, parish of Eglish, Co Kings/Offaly on 6 February 1834. It looks like Jas. ??? Right side of image, about a third of the way down the page. Thanks.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635152#page/10/mode/1up

Looks to me like James K___y or R___y so maybe Kenny?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Rainy? I believe the initial letter is an R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

similar to a few below ? Riley ?

similar to the one above ? Kennedy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭BowWow

My initial thought was Neary, but would agree that first letter is "R".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think that's a K. There's a name a couple of lines above that that looks like Kennedy, plus there are two capital Rs at the top of the page on the right hand side. If it's an R, it looks a lot different to the capital Ps in the page - usually people's Ps and Rs are quite similar. Also, fourth from the bottom there's a Denis Roach (unless I'm mistaken).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭VirginiaB

Thanks everyone. Good observations but still a bit of a mystery. I appreciate your input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭louis346789

Hi Hermy
    Thank you. I have added the link.
    Louis

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Guys - lot of speculation here. Please keep this thread for just handwriting help.
    If you want us to split off for further discussion, just ask me or Hermy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Sorry pinkypinky.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 stutoken

Hi everyone,

Have spent the past few weeks researching ancestors and currently struggling with a RC mariage record. Have found the threads in the Genealogy section very helpful in guiding me on my initial searches so thanks for all the useful information and I hope to get invlved with the forum as my seach continues as I have found it very interesting so far.

I am looking at entry 768 for John Christley / Chritchley and Anne Dunne married in Balbriggan 16th July 1877 -

*I tried to post link to NLI site but not permitted as I am new used*

This leg of family tree has been one of the more difficult to trace due to the variations in the spelling of the name Christley. I've found documents with at least 5 different variations of surname spelling for just the one person.

From civil record of this marriage the fathers' names are listed as Robert 'Critchley' and John Dunne.
    The 1901 census return for John and Anne Christly have John's birthplace listed as Co. Meath.

Can anyone make out the names recorded for parents on the church marriage record and the home place for Robert Chritchley. It looks like 'oyne' at end of placename so I'm currently checking for palcenames with that ending in Co.Meath and have found Dunboyne, Kilboyne and Balrathboyne.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭ath262

NLI link for the above marriage - see entry 768

could the grooms parents residence be Skryne (County Meath) ?

bride's mother Christina Fagan ? not sure about his now, theres some sort of writing before the ch

grooms mother's surname looks like Critchley or similar, firstname maybe Johanna ...

Skryne looks like a good match. I'll check church records in that area if available later.
    Fagan also looks right for bride's mother. Will give me another avenue to search.
    When I started this a few weeks ago I got the bones of family tree pulled together with civil searches pretty quickly but didn't realise how much effort the church records would take to flesh it out fully.
    Enjoying it though even if it does keep me up to all hours at night when I get drawn down a records rabbit hole.
    Thanks for your help.

Skryne is correct. Found John Christly's baptism record in 1843. Mother is listed as Jane Christly.

Hi,

Another placename I'm having difficuly with in Clane Parish, Co. Kildare

I'm looking at baptism record for Simon Dunne of Charles & Kitty Dunne dated 27 April 1834

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634561#page/19/mode/1up

Placename is Mount .........

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Armstrong?

• Advertisement

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Barney224

Looking to confirm the profession of Charles Rodgers (father of John Rodgers) in the last section here. Is it Teacher?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1870/11387/8181092.pdf

I would guess Trader

Barney224 wrote: »
    Looking to confirm the profession of Charles Rodgers (father of John Rodgers) in the last section here. Is it Teacher?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1870/11387/8181092.pdf

looks like Trader to me

It's a coin toss between teacher and trader, to me.

For me it's trader.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Trader here too.
    I have more commonly seen teacher with some sort of qualifier, like 'school teacher' or 'national teacher'.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Barney224

Thanks for info. Is Trader not a bit vague? Was it normal to have a job title of Trader in those days? What would a trader have done?

• Advertisement

Barney224 wrote: »
    Thanks for info. Is Trader not a bit vague? Was it normal to have a job title of Trader in those days? What would a trader have done?
    I’ve always understood that by the Victorian era there was a 'hierarchy' which was roughly applied –

Hawker............. sold goods from a basket or tray while 'on the move'.
    Costermonger ....sold goods (mainly fruit) from a barrow or stall.
    Fishmonger.........sold fish as above
    Trader...............sold goods from a fixed stall or stand.
    Shopkeeper........sold from a leased or owned retail premises
    Merchant...........large retailer/wholesaler with sizable premises and operation.

Advertisement