Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Bellatori

recedite wrote: »
    That's French.

I was too polite to mention it but yes... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I present here a story of one mans battle against evil, that sends a message of hope for us all.

"During the conference, the Rev. Cesar Truqui, an exorcist based in Switzerland, recounted one experience he had aboard a Swissair flight. “Two lesbians,” he said, had sat behind him on the plane. Soon afterward, he said, he felt Satan’s presence. As he silently sought to repel the evil spirit through prayer, one of the women, he said, began growling demonically and threw chocolates at his head."
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/andrew-marr-tells-david-cameron-to-shut-up-live-on-tv-9355655.html

I had a similar experience on the 15A once but lacked the spiritual tools to fight them off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Nodin wrote: »
    “Two lesbians,” he said, had sat behind him on the plane. Soon afterward, he said, he felt Satan’s presence. As he silently sought to repel the evil spirit through prayer, one of the women, he said, began growling demonically and threw chocolates at his head."
    Perhaps they'd been served toast with an image of Jesus on it?

Still, there must be worse hells than those filled with lesbians throwing chocolates.

robindch wrote: »
    Perhaps they'd been served toast with an image of Jesus on it?

Still, there are worse ways to spend eternity than in a hell filled with lesbians throwing chocolates.

What if they throw them really really hard?

What if they're marzipan?

What then????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Nodin wrote: »
    I present here a story of one mans battle against evil, that sends a message of hope for us all.

"During the conference, the Rev. Cesar Truqui, an exorcist based in Switzerland, recounted one experience he had aboard a Swissair flight. “Two lesbians,” he said, had sat behind him on the plane. Soon afterward, he said, he felt Satan’s presence. As he silently sought to repel the evil spirit through prayer, one of the women, he said, began growling demonically and threw chocolates at his head."
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/andrew-marr-tells-david-cameron-to-shut-up-live-on-tv-9355655.html

I had a similar experience on the 15A once but lacked the spiritual tools to fight them off.

I'm sure he thinks back to the good-ol days when STRAIGHT women threw stuff at him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I'm sure he thinks back to the good-ol days when STRAIGHT women threw stuff at him.

Like a lesbian would waste chocolates :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Like a lesbian would waste chocolates :rolleyes:
    27550_popup.jpg

endacl wrote: »
    27550_popup.jpg

Nutella used to be popular too until we heard about the palm oil.

Strawberry Haagen-Dazs has a certain resonance for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Bellatori

Oh that is just disgusting. How can a post describing resonancing with ice cream be allowed? There might be children watching.

• Advertisement

Russian media claims that Russia is up in arms over the Eurovision the other night. The Russian orthodox church says that's Ms Wurst is "another link in the chain of cultural legitimization of vice". Lots of guys are shaving their beards. Elsewhere, a Russian parliamentarian calls for the country to abandon the Eurovision and start up its own "Voice of Eurasia".

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Russian media claims that Russia is up in arms over the Eurovision the other night. The Russian orthodox church says that's Ms Wurst is "another link in the chain of cultural legitimization of vice". Lots of guys are shaving their beards. Elsewhere, a Russian parliamentarian calls for the country to abandon the Eurovision and start up its own "Voice of Eurasia".
    oscarBravo wrote: »

Russian media can eat their words :D

1966908_947094288653358_1736346436827719394_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That's a lot of people for tax fraud. . .

No doubt a sneaky Yankee plot to embarrass Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Was watching a movie and heard the letterbox rattling at 3am and found this:

ox09Uzml.jpg

Maybe they're too embarrassed to hand them out in broad daylight. I googled Michael Dimond and apparently he's the leader of the Most Holy Family Monastery which is a sedevacantist and radical traditional Catholic organisation. They seemed to be based in New York. Has anybody come across them in Ireland before?

Yeah we got a DVD in the post featuring the same guy a few weeks ago in Ranelagh.

We threw it on one night after running out of Nic Cage films to watch. It's pretty good craic if you're bored.

Pakistan - where a religious guy's feelings are hurt so 68 people face up to three years in jail each.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27391334
    BBC wrote:
    Pakistani police have charged 68 lawyers with blasphemy in what is thought to be the biggest ever case of its kind in the country.

The charges were brought in Punjab after lawyers protested when police detained one of their colleagues. During the protest the lawyers are accused of insulting a companion of the Prophet Muhammad. Police say they acted after a local man complained. Critics say blasphemy laws are often misused to settle scores in Pakistan.

The case in Punjab's Jhang district was registered against eight named lawyers and 60 unidentified ones. The lawyers had been campaigning for the arrest of five policemen they accused of illegally detaining and manhandling a lawyer in the city of Jhang last week.

A complainant told the police his feelings had been hurt when some lawyers ridiculed a police officer who shares his name with the second Caliph, Omar. The most serious blasphemy charges can carry the death penalty in Pakistan. But in this case the defendants face at most three years in jail if the case comes to trial and they are convicted, the BBC's M Ilyas Khan in Islamabad reports.

Many believe the case is an example of how easily the blasphemy laws can be misused, he says. They say the case is the result of a feud between police and the legal fraternity. No arrests have been made.

The investigating officer in the case, Inspector Ashiq Hussain, told the BBC that since the entire legal community of Jhang city had become involved, efforts were being made "to resolve the matter, and it may not lead to arrests". Even so, those named in the case, some of them Shia, may not now feel safe in the future in a country with a history of sectarian violence, our correspondent adds.

Allegations of blasphemy against Islam are taken very seriously in Pakistan. Correspondents say members of minority groups are often unfairly targeted. Last week a lawyer representing a man charged with blasphemy in Multan, in Punjab, was shot dead by gunmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Can you imagine an American type Crime Procedural where the local mob lord is arrested and then to get off all he does is blackmail his prosecutors with the threat of leaked rumours about blasphemy that they committed. So simple and so effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Pakistan - where a religious guy's feelings are hurt so 68 people face up to three years in jail each.

I bet you the name on the complaint sheet is the Punjabi equivalent of that well known personality Fict I. Cious.

Most likely they were detained on the serious crime of "pointing out the government is doing illegal stuff", and the religious "offense" is just a handy cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Not even actual blasphemy, but ridiculing someone with the same name as one of Mohammad's pals. Imagine being done for blasphemy because you said someone named Peter was a tosser!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

kylith wrote: »
    Imagine being done for blasphemy because you said someone named Peter was a tosser!

I think I know that guy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭swampgas

I find it galling that Ireland's blasphemy laws are used by Islamic nations to defend the use of their own harsh blasphemy laws, and also to support their demands for universal blasphemy legislation (link). Nice going Ireland.

And yet the constitutional convention didn't seem to think it was all that important :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

endacl wrote: »
    I think I know that guy!!

He's some tosser, isn't he?!

He's some tosser, isn't he?!

He is in the half penny place compared to Paul.

I know a very religious Paul. I frequently call him an Opus Dei tosser. Come get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Not even actual blasphemy, but ridiculing someone with the same name as one of Mohammad's pals. Imagine being done for blasphemy because you said someone named Peter was a tosser!

You would find yourself between a rock and a hard place...? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

"A Sudanese court has sentenced a woman to hang for apostasy after she left Islam and married a Christian man."

"She is said to be eight months' pregnant."

"Local media report the sentence would not be carried out for two years after she has given birth."

"The judge also sentenced the woman to 100 lashes after convicting her of adultery - because her marriage to a Christian man was not valid under Islamic law."

"This will reportedly be carried out when she has recovered from giving birth."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27424064

The Sudanese, great lads.

"A teenager in America says she was forced to leave her prom after fathers complained that their children would experience “impure thoughts” towards her."

She was then asked to leave the prom for home-schooled teenagers after she was again told her dress was too short.

She is now demanding a refund for her and her friends, who walked out of the prom with her in a show of unity.
    She wrote: "I felt violated by the sheer number of male parents that were assigned to do nothing for five hours other then watch girls in short dresses and heels dance to upbeat music.
    .indo_survey>.wrap{position:inherit; background:#FFFFFF; display:block;}
    I think that it is sick and wrong that they assigned them to sit on a balcony above us and look down on us and single us out for our clothes or dancing."

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/teenager-forced-to-leave-dance-after-ogling-fathers-complained-30277516.html

A tape of the commentary that went on up on the balcony would doubtless prove "interesting".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

http://www.amnestyusa.org/news/news-item/sudan-‘abhorrent-death-sentence-for-woman-on-grounds-of-her-religion

One religion is killing another, yet again. How much longer do we have to put up with shit like this? It's 2014 ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

AstraMonti wrote: »
    http://www.amnestyusa.org/news/news-item/sudan-‘abhorrent-death-sentence-for-woman-on-grounds-of-her-religion

One religion is killing another, yet again. How much longer do we have to put up with shit like this? It's 2014 ffs.
    A truly awful story. I wonder, does it make those christians who scream 'we are being persecuted' for simply not being allowed to discriminate against some people as much as they used to, even a little bit embarrassed?

MrP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement