Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you report someone for Social Welfare fraud

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

GSBellew wrote: »
    Whilst I accept that you are correct in that there can be circumstances where it is legitimate, if that is the case reporting them won't affect them, as they will be found to be in the clear & above board, if not it is one less leach for the rest of us to pay for.

That might not be the case. I think payments can be suspended pending investigation. I'd want to be pretty certain they were committing fraud as loss of payment (even temporary) could have a significant effect on a genuine claimant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭leitrim4life

If there was a simple way to report someone id do it no problem, gov make it hard to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 maggot12345

I would certainly report someone if I thought they were claiming something they shouldn't be. If they are in the right they won't have any problems - if they are claiming and they shouldn't be they'll be stopped which as it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

My sister in law is getting lone parent allowance and majorty of her rent paid for. Her waste of space boyfriend who is father to her 2yr old is living in the house. Im so tempted to shop her if it wasnt for my little niece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If there was a simple way to report someone id do it no problem, gov make it hard to report.

there is an online form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

This has been asked a dozen times before. Sure I even replied back to them. often others would moan to me saying "you have to report cause my tax, my tax, my tax!!!" - our tax wouldnt go down if no-one did it at the same time. Let's be honest.

See... here's the bottom line imo. It seems that 99% of people in this world hate what others get/have. But you cant do anything about johnny up the road who is well off cause of his job. But joe skanger getting something he shouldn't? report report report seems to be the mentality.

This world is messed up. If I was on the dole and pulling a con about rent allowance someone would report me if they knew. But by the same token, if that person was illegally dumping their rubbish, and I knew it, i'd be the biggest scumbag in their book for reporting them in turn.

People are jerks. People are hypocrites. Do what you want. Don't tell anyone your business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

I think one needs to draw a distinction between the boasting super fraudster on multiple overlapping payments and some that is one doing an odd nixer that barely brings them up to living wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

ah lads can we not at least wait until the economy crashes before the ratting starts up again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Absolutely no issues if they’re long term on the fiddle
    I 'd be the same . Somebody doing their best to get by a rear a family , i'd have no problem with them earning a few quid on the side trying to make ends meet . The one's driving the nice car , foreign holiday's and regularly down the pub complaining how the government is not doing enough for them while bitching how bad they have it , no problem at all reporting them .
    Double standards I know but so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

AulWan wrote: »
    And you're incredibly niave if you think malicious reporting doesn't happen.

Why would I think that when I'm the one that brought it up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I wonder how much time is wasted in investigating unfounded / spurious / malicious claims each year?

Not to mention the stress endured by the person being investigated and their family. That's an affect.

I would never report anything unless I was 100% absolutely sure of all my facts in advance, and to me, it doesn't sound like the OP is.
    It isn’t his job to be sure, there are people hired to ensure concerns such as the ops are investigated. It’s the downside of being handed state money, being subject to investigation if there’s a concern raised. Anyone contributing anything in tax are totally entitled to query where their hard earned money is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Why would I think that when I'm the one that brought it up?

I actually think I brought it up first... but whatever ?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Don't know, it's deeply ingrained in our psyche!

"don't be tellin"

It isn’t his job to be sure, there are people hired to ensure concerns such as the ops are investigated. It’s the downside of being handed state money, being subject to investigation if there’s a concern raised. Anyone contributing anything in tax are totally entitled to query where their hard earned money is going.

I never said it was his job to sure. I said I would not report anyone unless I was 100% sure.

Though it is my opinion that making a report on someone is a pretty lousy thing to do, if you are not 100% sure of your facts first.

You don't know what hardship you could be bringing to that person and their family by your actions.

I never said it was his job to sure. I said I would not report anyone unless I was 100% sure.

Though it is my opinion that making a report on someone is a pretty lousy thing to do, if you are not 100% sure of your facts first.

You don't know what hardship you could be bringing to that person and their family by your actions.

Unfortunately the general public aren’t privy to the same access as those in official positions, making it pretty much impossible to be one hundred % certain. That is why, when you report your suspicions they’re followed up in a fair and thorough manner: I would say ripping off people who get up every morning and go to work is more lousy, to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭leitrim4life

Graces7 wrote: »
    there is an online form

Linky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Virtually impossible to be eligible for a medical card if you are working full time, regardless of the severity of your illness. 2 million people in the State have some type of medical card. I doubt anyone is ever convicted for medical card fraud.

People who return to work from disability are allowed to retain some of their secondary benefits such as FTP and medical card, and even part payment (depending on income). Its an incentive to both return to the workforce and a protection so that if the employment ends for whatever reason their claim doesn't have to start from scratch but can be altered from the original claim. T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭enricoh

A lad came into our place last week looking for cash in hand work as he is on disability.
    The boss was chatting to him n he mentioned what experience he had etc n that he wanted e20 an hour into his paw! That was the end of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

enricoh wrote: »
    A lad came into our place last week looking for cash in hand work as he is on disability.
    The boss was chatting to him n he mentioned what experience he had etc n that he wanted e20 an hour into his paw! That was the end of that!

You gonna report your boss for PRSI and employer contribution avoidance? How many other people is he playing this fiddle with?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

GoneHome wrote: »
    Ok I know of a least three people claiming jobseekers and disability while working on the side, another I know who has a medical card when his wife is on over €80,000, all people I know, we're breaking our ass getting up at 6 every morning to go to work, getting peed off with it, would you report them or say f**k it if they can get away with it leave them off?

Of course I would. Able-bodied people defrauding the state are nothing but bottom-feeders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

14dMoney wrote: »
    Of course I would. Able-bodied people defrauding the state are nothing but bottom-feeders.

Life is complicated.
    Joe Skanger frauds the social.
    Mike self-employed doesn't declare all his income.
    John corporate uses creative loop holes to not pay tax or hardly at all.

Unfortunately the general public aren’t privy to the same access as those in official positions, making it pretty much impossible to be one hundred % certain. That is why, when you report your suspicions they’re followed up in a fair and thorough manner: I would say ripping off people who get up every morning and go to work is more lousy, to be honest.

Well if someone starts bragging to you about how they're ripping of the system and getting away with it, then fire away.

But if something is only a suspicion in your mind, then I would leave it be. People get it wrong all the time, look how many people don't realise that someone on Disability Allowance is allowed to work a certain amount ofhours per week, or that someone on Jobseekers can claim for some days, while working others.

I've personally seen the hardship malicious / unfounded reporting has caused so I would not be in any hurry to do that to anyone without having all the facts. You could literally be taking the food out of someone's mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dawido

I live with my parents in a council house, I am working and have to wake up at 6 to make it into the office at 8:30 I am back home at 8p.m. So my father is on disability since he has carpel tunnel syndrome it's weird since he performs actions such as taking very heavy door out of the hinges with his hands (he did it because he was mad at my mother).. I think I am going to report him since he is kicking me out of the house and it's unfair he doesn't work and haven't worked since like 10 years.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭enricoh

You gonna report your boss for PRSI and employer contribution avoidance? How many other people is he playing this fiddle with?

Yes, yes i will.
    Hard to put a number on it - I'd say 27.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,580 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

another I know who has a medical card when his wife is on over €80,000, all people I know,
    Banie01 I'm certain on the fraud with the girl on €80,000 working for the HSE, a Medical Card, the husband stays at home minding the two kids,
    That's the problem with this couple, he's claiming he's just renting a room in her house even though they have two kids together, he's letting on his single on disabillity even though the partner is in a big job in the HSE earnign €80,000

Well that bullshít acorn certainly bloomed in 3 posts.

He went from having just a medical card to a medical card, disability and rent allowance living in his 80k a year wifes house.

You should definitely report them - I can't see why you are even starting a thread about it.

Of course none of that actually happened, did it?

source.gif

Well if someone starts bragging to you about how they're ripping of the system and getting away with it, then fire away.

But if something is only a suspicion in your mind, then I would leave it be. People get it wrong all the time, look how many people don't realise that someone on Disability Allowance are allowed to work a certain amount of hours per week, or that someone on Jobseekers can claim for some days, while working others.

I've personally seen the hardship malicious / unfounded reporting has caused so I would not be in any hurry to do that to anyone without being damn sure of my facts first. You could literally be taking the food out of someone's mouth.
    They wouldn’t stop paying someone based on an allegation, it would be investigated

They wouldn’t stop paying someone based on an allegation, it would be investigated

You don't have to take my word for it.

But ask yourself, what do I have to gain by making it up?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

macnug wrote: »
    I'm on that scheme, you don't get a medical card just all medications related to the illness are free. Still have to pay to see the doctor.

I'm on the LTI scheme as well. I didn't even bother applying for a medical card because I work fulltime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I'm sorry but 'its impossible to get a medical card if working full time'

Is bxxshxt.

It all depends, you could earn 1500 a week yet have 900 in outgoings and a long term illness and be granted one.

People seem to think because the medical card is a benefit that you cannot get one if you work full time. Of course you can. Its a means test after all.

Plenty of full time working families with huge mortgages would be ffed if they didnt have one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

What exact job are they doing in the HSE to be on €80k ? The payscales don’t add up. I think this is a bull**** thread.

Advertisement