Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you report someone for Social Welfare fraud

Options
  • 21-07-2019 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Ok I know of a least three people claiming jobseekers and disability while working on the side, another I know who has a medical card when his wife is on over €80,000, all people I know, we're breaking our ass getting up at 6 every morning to go to work, getting peed off with it, would you report them or say f**k it if they can get away with it leave them off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Am no a grass.

But seriously, snitches get stitches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Is there a reward? Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Is there a reward? Asking for a friend.

I hope there is, I'd make a fortune with all of them I know screwing the system

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Properly not ,just begrudge them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It would depend on their circumstances and the level of fraud..

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Don't know, it's deeply ingrained in our psyche!

I guess though with all the technology around welfare will catch up with them sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yes why wouldn't you ....

So many getting away with it from using fake bus passes to those that were cancelled or a family members. Similar to using the disability badge for parking....

Just because you think it's getting one up on the gubernment it's not.... We owe 200billion and counting and the gobsheens running this country seem to want to make that worse with all those on welfare whether here already or importing more.....

Our fighters from 1916 would be turning in their graves.....

Fook you all to the scammer backstards you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

GoneHome wrote: »
    Ok I know of a least three people claiming jobseekers and disability while working on the side, another I know who has a medical card when his wife is on over €80,000, all people I know, we're breaking our ass getting up at 6 every morning to go to work, getting peed off with it, would you report them or say f**k it if they can get away with it leave them off?

Nope. I don't agree with fraud but at the same time I'm not one for meddling in other peoples' business. They will quite possibly get caught out one way or another.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

Isn't this the millionth thread on this very question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Report all the insurance fraudsters ya know 1st OP ;)

On disability, the person could be on partial benefit or have permission to work 20hrs a week.

On Jobseekers they may be doing X's and O's

On the medical card I know many people who are in excess of the income limits but due to medical conditions or it being awarded and valid prior to some jump in the family income it remained valid until it's next expiry date/review.

If you are certain, if you know that none of the above apply then report away.
    Don't assume that you know all the circumstances tho, and in fairness given the amount of data and oversight for the majority of claimants it's naive to assume that unless they are dealing drugs or working nixers completely under the table, there will be a cash trail.

It would depend on their circumstances and the level of fraud..

It's probably low level fraud, claiming jobseekers or disability €200 per week but working cash in hand then as well, plus getting rent paid and medical card, it all adds up, it's us tax payer who are subsidising it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

would you report them or say f**k it if they can get away with it leave them off?

Doing the odd "nixer" on the side I'd be ok with but anything more and I think if your a decent human being you have to rat on them, it's not fair on all those people who get up early every day for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Absolutely no issues if they’re long term on the fiddle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

if they are doing a small job here and there to boost their income and pay a few bills then no i wouldnt . nothing major wrong with that
    you have t remember that those people are spending their money locally and helping the economy a bit

if they are taking the piss and milking the system then yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Snitches end in ditches,

so no i wouldnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Claimants of Disability Allowance are allowed to work up to 15 hours per week, in certain circumstances.

Someone can be granted a medical card based on medical grounds even if over the limit.

Someone can claim Jobseekers for days they don't work, while working other days.

My point is - unless you are 100% certain of your facts, then it leave well enough alone.

I'm always amazed by how much some people think they know about other peoples business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

You can work on Disability, you can earn I think up to €300 a week and still get a part-payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Yep in a heartbeat. Don't have a problem with someone in genuine need , but f**ked if I'd let a scammer go free.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Doesn’t sound like you actually have any evidence that the people you know are committing fraud. A more accurate question is whether or not one would report suspected fraud?

Honestly, nope. I just couldn’t bring myself to care enough for other people to the degree that I’d be so invested in their lives I’d want to see someone prosecuted for being suspected of committing fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

My mother worked all her life from a young age, had 4 kids and worked....

Gor terminal cancer with only months to live and as my dad worked she wasn't entitled to a medical card and here is the clinger his job paid absolutely sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There are back to work schemes where you keep benefits for a period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

How do you know they are committing social welfare fraud?

AFAIK someone on disability allowance can work. There is an individual rate or family rate depending on circumstances and an income disregard level, above which a percentage of further income is deducted from any disability payment.

Similarly for there are circumstances where a person may qualify for a medical card irrespective of their (or family) income.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Yep in a heartbeat. Don't have a problem with someone in genuine need , but f**ked if I'd let a scammer go free.

The thing I'd struggle with is how would you discern who is "in genuine need" and who "is not" (I suppose). Do we really know the full story? Do we need to?
    Before anyone has a potential go at me I work and therefore pay my taxes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

You may be entitled to a medical card without being means tested once you satisfy a list of certain conditions.
    It's also possible to work and be on a disability allowance, again under certain conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

I wouldn't just because of the amount of threads on Boards about the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Do they actually prosecute? What are the penalties?

banie01 wrote: »
    Don't assume that you know all the circumstances tho, and in fairness given the amount of data and oversight for the majority of claimants it's naive to assume that unless they are dealing drugs or working nixers completely under the table, there will be a cash trail.

Banie01 I'm certain on the fraud with the girl on €80,000 working for the HSE, a Medical Card, the husband stays at home minding the two kids, jesus we're breaking our ass working and still have to pay €60 to see the doctor, it annoys me that they can get away with it (and this is not here say she told me that she swinndled the system)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

Am no a grass.

But seriously, snitches get stitches.

Snitches don’t generally get stitches, unless they’re inflicted by uncouth thugs, which would justify the snitching in the first place.

Reporting criminally is never wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Banie01 I'm certain on the fraud with the girl on €80,000 working for the HSE, a Medical Card, the husband stays at home minding the two kids, jesus we're breaking our ass working and still have to pay €60 to see the doctor, it annoys me that they can get away with it (and this is not here say she told me that she swinndled the system)

But do you know his medical history?

Advertisement