Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,286 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You spend the entirety of the game upgrading your stamina meter, because you use stamina for everything. Gliding, sprinting, climbing, swimming... all methods of traversal require stamina. So the easiest way to get somewhere is fast travel to a point near it and glide/climb/sprint to it, and throughout the game you're given pretty much complete freedom to do so. It's hugely convenient when it comes to going back and doing puzzles and challenges. But in the last area of the game you get to (Kings Peak), if you step outside of the delineated pathways, your stamina meter completely drains. So if you want to get to anywhere in the final area, you pretty much have to follow exact paths. Want to glide over to something you see in the distance? Can't. Want to fast travel to a point where you can just climb up the mountain to a new thing above you? Can't. See a puzzle on the map and know you need the reward material for your next upgrade, well you're going to have to find and follow the exact (and boring) paths around the mountain until you get to it. It completely took away the freedom, methods of traversal and the stamina meter you've been upgrading for the entire game, to absolutely no benefit. Even in terms of story, there was a reason for it, but it didn't matter and didn't add anything. My enthusiasm for the game became like the stamina meter... just completely drained instantly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jesus, that's good to know. Will avoid that game so cos that's a killer to immersion and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Watching some character footage of that new Warner Multiverse thing.

Basically Smash Bros with Warner properties

But it's surprisingly more on the nose being a smash bros rip off then even the Nickelodeon one a few months back.

I mean I'm calling it now the Game of Thrones characters are basically filling the "pretty anime boys with swords" role in the smash bros games, they'lll be able to fart out characters from that show over and over and they'll all be "pretty medieval fantasy character with a sword"

Tom and Jerry are the ice climbers and I cant tell if Taz or Jake the dog is the kirby equivilent, both seem to be about eating their opponents?

credit where credit is due some ideas are nice, tom and jerry are actually attacking each other in every one of their moves, the other players are just caught in the crossfire

some of the alt costumes, if you are fans of the properties are genuinely surprisingly clever (jake the dog being Cake the Cat and alt batman is samurai batman)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,286 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Maybe others didn't have as big an issue with it as I did, and the vast majority of the game is really great. But yeah that section just knocked me completely out of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Just played about 2 hours of Fenyx Rising. Really good so far. Not going to dissect the game now or compare it to THAT game, as that just ruins things.

The main thing so far is that it's fun and polished and smooth on XBox Series X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That area is the worst, but once you clear it up a but and get used to it, you fly around it. As far as I can recall anyway. I did get the plat so I persevered, and still think it was one of the most enjoyable recent games. Just fun, and enough good humour to keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm looking forward to be playing Sniper Elite 5 this day next week. It's brilliant it's coming onto game pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I used to love when Inside Gaming / Funhaus did gameplay vids on Sniper Elite!

It was just 10-15 mins ball shots with Kovic being an elite ball sniper 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Shooting enemies in the nuts is the best thing about the Sniper Elite games.

• Advertisement

Metro Exodus is a great game. Its mostly linear with a semi-open world section. Don't let that put you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Another developer embracing UE5. It's quickly becoming ubiquitous for this generation of titles, for better or worse.

Some first world problems ...

UE5 will probably result in incredible next gen gaming on latest consoles, but at 30 FPS. I'll dig out the Digital Foundry video if someone complains about this assumption. So, basically incredibly realistic worlds, but back to lower frame rates to compensate for the extra grunt required.

Now, 30 FPS looks bad on OLED TVs as the TV responds so quickly, the frames are more pronounced and the image is juddery, whereas slower refresh rates blur the frames, so it's not so obvious.

So, juddery UE5 games on OLED displays or maybe lower resolution.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The targeting of 30 fps has been constant on consoles. The issue is that graphics sell and games that drop to 30 to look better always sell better.

Don't the current gen of consoles have 60 fps now?

What I'm saying is that the next gen engines, like UE5 will require more power from the consoles, for more realistic rendering, so we might be seeing a lot more 30 FPS games or lower res games to maintain 60 FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Current Gen can hit 60FPS on pure-raster/non-RayTraced games that are natively scaled at around 1080p and then checkerboarded/Dynamic 4K'ed. When they quoted 4k/120Hz on pre-release really they were just quoting the HDMI 2.1 spec and not remotely what they could do. Over time optimisation will lead to some improvements but not to the point where RT or even raster native 4K will run at 60Hz. Hell an Nvidia 3090 has trouble with intensive RT games at 60Hz without DLSS. I know UE5 aims to bypass some of the RT cost but I think Super's right in his estimate, and the usual mainstream tech media jumping on the bandwagon and lazily reiterating supplier claims will really bite them in the ass this generation. We've seen it over the last 20 years with them constantly parroting how each console gen would wipe high end PCs and in reality coming in at hugely more bang-for-the-buck but overall mid level performance point. Now most people who have consoles have a decent PC that can game to some degree. They have a personal reference and less of the nonsense PC master race vs. Console noise in the way. But it's also going back to an old PC game principal of games can be written to run better on future hardware today. Can it run Crysis :) , let it murder current gen but still look good doing it and then look better in 5 years without a remaster when you play it again. I think that may be the true advantage of games using UE5 across all 3 major platforms (deliberately excluding Nintendo Retro, hah, take that BoTW2 ... your non-existent map markers will have to be rendered in peasant engine 2.0 :) )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Based on the ‘city’ / Matrix tech demo, UE5 is pushing the limits of the best available PC CPUs and GPUs. I’m sure there’s lots of optimisation that will be done to make games run smoother on whatever hardware, but it’s definitely ‘heavy’ in its current state.

Said demo is quite the generational leap in terms of graphics, though. We’re going to get some stunning looking games in the not too distant future (although inevitably scaled back from the tech demos). We will definitely see a hit to performance as devs push cutting edge tech. But this is the first console generation in a while where developers really have the power leeway to push for 60 FPS across lots of games - hopefully that continues fairly widely, even if some of the most ambitious UE5 games will probably be dialled down to 30.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I know mods don't usually get much chat, bar the really big ones like Black Mesa, but this is seriously impressive work IMO: Fallout London, a from-the-ground-up build of Fallout 4 set in London. Looks really great with some suitably Stiff Upper Lip British iconography really selling the alt 1950s UK. Even has Voicework n all...

Looks class. I like how Bethesda allow people to build entirely new games with their engine, so long as they don't try to make money from it.

Have to respect that.

Some of the other notable game companies threaten/sue their fans for making fan remakes.

Totally. The level of effort and detail is incredible; I miss how shrunken the mod scene is these days. There's also the Beyond Skyrim project; you think London is impressive, BS are trying to build ALLL of Tamriel in the Skyrim engine. They've made impressive progress, down to quest lines n all, some regions more complete than others.

I've seen BS. I think the scope is too big for a part time team, tbh. I doubt they'll ever finish it, but I hope to be proven wrong.

I think projects like Skywind (almost complete) and Skyblivion are more realistic.

Oh I agree. Their reach is a bit much but admire their effort and enthusiasm. AFAIK Roscrea and 3 Kingdoms regions are closest to release.

I find this is the natural ebb and flow of gaming. Next gen console comes out and I buy it thinking why bother the expense of upgrading my PC when the new gen console looks fantastic. 3-4 years later and consoles start to struggle and I sell a kidney to get a new PC. That gets me another 5-6 years (and usually some upgrades along the way) until the next, next gen console comes out and I wonder why the hell I'm spending so much on a gaming PC when I can get a console. Rinse repeat...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The next gen consoles are still incredibly competitive against PC at the moment (outside of Ray tracing) but the last two years have been such a freakish period in terms of PC prices that PC gaming has been obscenely expensive. The performance you get from a PS5 or XBSX is great value compared to ripoff GPU prices.

But things are finally calming down price wise now and a new gen of GPUs will likely widen the performance gap. Still, it’s impressive to have a console generation that feels ahead of PC in at least one key way (direct SSD storage).

I'm lucky 🙂, I was only Nintendo until recently. So, I've a load of last gen classics, cross gen stuff and remastered stuff to enjoy on the cheap in up to 4K 60 FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I always wondered what percentage of PC gamers had rigs that are as good as, or better than, current gen is now. Tried to Google, which seems to think my search was about PC vs Console...

• Advertisement

It needs to be a very expensive rig. I could upgrade what I have but I find even upgrading you end up having to replace pretty much everything bar the hard drives, so I think my next gaming PC will be a laptop. I'm not going back from my 75" TV and Dolby Atmos speakers setup to sitting at a desk.

Advertisement