Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom phonewatch & upc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Good question but why would the alarm be on if your in the middle of a call ??

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Live4TheWeekend

For example, alarm is on at night, phone is lifted off the hook and connection to monitoring station is lost... :eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It will work with all alarms.
    This post explains how to do it with line seizure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Live4TheWeekend

Many thanks Koolkid. :D

Wouldn't have known about this workaround only for the alarm guy who came to fit the DSL filter to the alarm (part of vf's diagnostic) told me it was possible.

UPC told me this couldn't be done (three times) or I would have switched ages ago!

Memo to self - check Boards next time :o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Once again Eircom & UPC proved wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭altor

Looking at switching to UPC from Vodafone due to frustration with slow broadband. I've better things to be doing with my life than Vodafone diagnostics :mad: rant over.

Anyways, back on topic - does the wiring solution allow the alarm to take priority over other phones (i.e. seize the line if a panic button is pressed) to send signals to the monitoring station? Or if the phone is being used, does the alarm have to wait?

Also, will this solution work with all alarms - I have a HKC Securewatch?

Thanks in advance.

A simpler option is to run a cable from the UPC to the master socket. Disconnect the Eircom incoming line and connect the line from the UPC to the line for the phones in the house. This will make the master socket and any other sockets connected from the master socket a phone point. If you have a monitored alarm you are giving priority too then the line from the UPC will be connected to this and the line back from the alarm will be connected to the house phones. Just remember to disconnect the incoming Eircom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

Hey Lads

I know this has been discussed at length, and I've read the couple of threads on it with the instructions on how to swict the phone line but im not the most tech savy but will give it a go! I just wanted to run past ye what I have in the house and to see if my take on it is correct! Upc are activating the ph line tomorrow, and I want to switch the alarm into this. Will continue to have pw monitor the system.

Alarm control Panel ...
    ?ui=2&ik=8cd1250259&view=att&th=13977665b4818724&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_h6hswbr70&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P93OgwyyI6qvcaCc3IWMLC5&sadet=1346327984734&sads=JurFbL1fAM3UWJcNq6JE4WXd890

Junction box thingy..!
    ?ui=2&ik=8cd1250259&view=att&th=13977665b4818724&attid=0.2&disp=inline&realattid=f_h6hswhfl1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P93OgwyyI6qvcaCc3IWMLC5&sadet=1346328009700&sads=pSs1hhqRQVo-EH5lRxPp9DSueuk

Main phone socket..
    ?ui=2&ik=8cd1250259&view=att&th=1397767f26be6e6b&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_h6hsymzq0&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P93OgwyyI6qvcaCc3IWMLC5&sadet=1346328088649&sads=fovCw0SH34kx2CpO7RQ-8eRGFhE

So my understanding is to open the brown box in image 2 and disconnect the incoming eircom line.
    On the main phone socket do i need to open it and switch it to a double RJ 11 socket?
    or could I leave it as it is and just use the phone wire (RJ11 lead?) that runs to the kitchen and plug this into the back of the upc box?
    (Its hard to see in the pic but thats like a double adaptor for ph socket)

Appreciate any help!

Images not showing up . But to try explain it simply. Disconnect the incoming Eircom line & replace that pair with the pair coming from Phone 1 RJ11 socket on your modem. You can then plug your UPC phone into any existing phone socket.

Grand ta, looks like it'll be monday when the line is transferred. So ill give it a go and hope for the best!

not sure why them pics didnt show anyway this is them..

well I think ive done it... possibly the lazy way tho!

ran cable from upc modem to phone socket just plugged it in. From double adaptor thing plugged phone in (has dial tone)
    Disconnected incoming eircom line. I didnt however wire the RJ11 all the way back to the 'master socket' (pic 2 above) (I disconnect eircom line from here)
    Does this matter?
    From my understanding the only problem I may have created is with the line seizure for the alarm, but to be honest nobody ever uses this landline, so cant see it being a huge problem.
    I want to run a test on the alarm to see if its working however ive tried all the master codes I could find on this fourm with no luck.
    Can I just ring eircom to run a test? Account wouldnt be in my name so not sure if they would deal with me.

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Seems OK . Without line seizure though a burglar can come in & take the phone off the hook to prevent the alarm dialing out.
    Once you can quote the account number / password they should put it on test for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

+ 1 for line seizure . Especially since burglars are copping on

We are also advising people to hide the UPC modem & ,if possible, lock the room its in, the alarm only needs 20 seconds.

But what if they cut the power or the easily accessed UPC lines

Same as any line. Protect it.

Suppose so

But what if they cut the power or the easily accessed UPC lines

That is the main problem with UPC. The cables to most houses are just down the front of a persons home or else in the box at the side of there house.

altor wrote: »
    That is the main problem with UPC. The cables to most houses are just down the front of a persons home or else in the box at the side of there house.

The same as the phone lines really. We alarm them where we can or disguise & protect them. We are coming across a lot of phone lines attacked. Haven't seen any instances of them attacking the UPC cable to date.

KoolKid wrote: »
    The same as the phone lines really. We alarm them where we can or disguise & protect them. We are coming across a lot of phone lines attacked. Haven't seen any instances of them attacking the UPC cable to date.

Neither have I but as we all know it is only a matter of time, same with anything really. Maybe Eircom are doing everyone a favour telling them it wont work with there alarm :rolleyes:

As with the phone lines put the real cable behind the box.;)

• Advertisement

Cant do that with a coax coming straight down the front of a customers house. We all know what UPC are like running cables, bit like sky when they get going..

altor wrote: »
    Cant do that with a coax coming straight down the front of a customers house. We all know what UPC are like running cables, bit like sky when they get going..

If you want a more secure option branch off up at the fascia & into the attic .
    Can't see them getting a ladder & trying to cut the main feed between houses.
    Thats presuming the burglar knows the alarm is using UPC...

KoolKid wrote: »
    If you want a more secure option branch off up at the fascia & into the attic .
    Can't see them getting a ladder & trying to cut the main feed between houses.
    Thats presuming the burglar knows the alarm is using UPC...

Who knows if the alarm is monitored at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 brianof

Little help please :)

I would like to disconnect my eircom phonewatch alarm from my phone line without paying them €90 for the pleasure (it is no longer actively monitored by them but is still attached/hardwired to my phoneline). I've recently and fairly unsuccessfully switched broadband to vodafone who are saying my monitored alarm is the likely candidate of some (noise) issues I'm having on the line. [url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/231647/168520.gif[/url] is the filter being used by the system. I first tried disconnecting the pair of "Equip In" wires but my phone line died. Then I tried the "Equip Out" wires but the same thing happened. I figured one of these would work but it didn't. Has anyone else had more success than me at achieving this?

Thanks in advance.

Have you any extension points in the house.?
    If not it's just a matter of taking the line that's coming into the house to your modem and phone and disconnect everything else.

I don't think that I do. I just have the 1 line that the alarm has piggybacked on to. There are 4 sets of 2 wires (equip in, equip out, line in, line out) on the DSL splitter but the phone's dial-tone disappears if I remove either of the pair of 'equip in/out' wires.

Follow back the equip in line back to where the line enters the house.
    That will be the clean live pair . Feed that to your modem and phone and disconnect everything else.
    Do you have a multi meter by any chance.?

I've just had it explained to me by an engineer in here and I think I understand now. Basically, by removing the equip in or the equip out pairs I was breaking the loop resulting in my dial-tone disappearing. What I need to do is take the line in and line out wires out of the spltter and re-connect them to each other, essentially putting my phone line back to it's original state and completely bypassing the splitter and alarm.

That's it ..
    I was explaining to remove any excess wiring entirely. That would help your broadband along as well.

• Advertisement

brianof wrote: »
    Little help please :)

I would like to disconnect my eircom phonewatch alarm from my phone line without paying them €90 for the pleasure (it is no longer actively monitored by them but is still attached/hardwired to my phoneline). I've recently and fairly unsuccessfully switched broadband to vodafone who are saying my monitored alarm is the likely candidate of some (noise) issues I'm having on the line. [url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/231647/168520.gif[/url] is the filter being used by the system. I first tried disconnecting the pair of "Equip In" wires but my phone line died. Then I tried the "Equip Out" wires but the same thing happened. I figured one of these would work but it didn't. Has anyone else had more success than me at achieving this?

Thanks in advance.

You will get a line fault on the system by removing the line going to the panel. What you need to do is delete the monitoring stations phone numbers in the panel to stop this. Do you know what system you have installed?

Advertisement