Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom phonewatch & upc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cord

Do I get the same facilities as texter with voice dialer, like zones that have been activated OR is it just prerecorded voice? GSM then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

cord wrote: »
    Do I get the same facilities as texter with voice dialer, like zones that have been activated OR is it just prerecorded voice? GSM then?

It is just a pre recorded message with the voice dialer. If you use the outputs some can give different messages for the different events. A GSM will give more info plus you also will have remote access to the panel. It also has outputs that can be triggered by text to control lights, heat.

Last question and thank you for your help....you are always very helpful :) Wht would the cheapest gsm texter for alarm cost?

Last question and thank you for your help....you are always very helpful :) Wht would the cheapest gsm texter for alarm cost?

Always happy to help :D

For your system if it is the 8/12 then €318 to buy in most wholesalers.

More questions! Anyone heard/used a 2T SMS Text Dialler, manufactured in Ireland?

• Advertisement

More questions! Anyone heard/used a 2T SMS Text Dialler, manufactured in Ireland?

Heard but never used them, It would be interesting to see how this is priced compared to the HKC GSM-P although it wont give as much information as the HKC GSM for an activation. I will try find out tomorrow.

Thanks Altor...I am trying to find that out too. the existing texter is very informative in that it texts me what comes up on the panel

Thanks Altor...I am trying to find that out too. the existing texter is very informative in that it texts me what comes up on the panel

That will be the same as the HKC GSM. The GSM you linked to will just give alarm activation, Panic depending on the outputs its connected to. Hopefully find out more information from them tomorrow.

The GSM costs €260 to buy. It is connected to the outputs on the control panel to indicate the alarm events. It can also be connected to a zone for turning on and off the alarm.

Thank again Altor...which would you recommend? HKC GSM or the 2T SMS

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The HKC would give you more control & would be more straightforward.

Thanks Koolkid. I already have a texter card on my HKC 10/10. Will I need a new texter card or is that included in the GSM-P?

Sorry, I just looked at the alarm panel and I think its a 6 zone expanded to 10. Two zones have ID options. The texter plugs straight on to the board (black 4 lead Ribbon)

Thank again Altor...which would you recommend? HKC GSM or the 2T SMS

If the panel was an 8/12 the HKC GSM would be the one to use. As your panel is a 6 zone panel you can not use the HKC GSM-P as it does not work on this panel. The other GSM will work in this case.

Thanks again Altor, you must eat, sleep and work (on)Alarms :)

Thanks again Altor, you must eat, sleep and work (on)Alarms :)

Your welcome cord, always try my best ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Hi Guys,

Just in the process of transferring from Eircom to UPC and I also have PW, so I need to get my phoneline connected to the UPC modem some way.

I currently have my Eircom broadband modem in my hallway where I have a double RJ45 wall plate as below:

R3034371-25.jpg

Currently the left port of this wallplate is my incoming phoneline and my PW is connected via a cable at the rear of this wallplate ..( The actual PW box is on a different floor)

The right hand port is a lan connection to my router and I have the LAN port from the adsl modem connected to this point.

Now my problem is that where I am planning to mount my UPC modem, I do not currently have access to the phone line, but it is in the same position as the Router.

I am thinking of using the RJ45 cable (currently carrying LAN from ADSL TO Router) to bring my Phone signal back to this double wallplate .
    And then if I just look put a loop cable between ports 1 and 2 on my double wall plate, would this connect my PW to my UPC phone-line ?

Obviously I would need to disconnect the Eircom incoming line from the rear of Port 2, but would this work ?

I know that RJ45 and RJ11 ports / cables seem to be interchangeable some times, but I',m not 100% sure ...
    Will an RJ45 connector fit into the analogue line out port on the UPC modem , or is it only RJ11 ?

I hope someone can understand what I'm trying to do :-)\

Thanks for any help ..

Cheers,

Bob

You would need the line from the UPC connected to the point in the hall. The cable you have installed can be used. All you need to do is re-crimp the the cable with RJ11 head, plug into the UPC. Go to the hall and wire it direct onto the line that you will take the main cable off. If the phone has being given priority already all other points in your home will become active with your new line.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Here is a guide I posted previousally.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76106654&postcount=2
    Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Hi Guys,

Just to follow-up on my previous post ..

My Eircom number was ported to UPC today, so I reconfigured my phone lines in my house, including the Eircom Phonewatch line ..

I then done a Phone communicatons test on my alarm panel (Concord)
    8+ sys code + 2 ..
    I then rang phonewatch to check if it worked and they confirmed that it did !!

Success !!

Thanks to the posters here for the advice ..

Does anyone know why even UPC are telling people that this doesn't work ?

On the porting form Section No. 3 it states that:
    "Certain services such as Monitored alarms will not work with our phone service"

I can see why Eircom would be telling people, But why are UPC claiming that it doesn't work ??

From discussing with both of them it seems they simply don't know how an alarm digi works. What's more disturbing is that they are offering GSM as an alternative without informing the customer about the risks of jamming.

• Advertisement

bob11 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just to follow-up on my previous post ..

My Eircom number was ported to UPC today, so I reconfigured my phone lines in my house, including the Eircom Phonewatch line ..

I then done a Phone communicatons test on my alarm panel (Concord)
    8+ sys code + 2 ..
    I then rang phonewatch to check if it worked and they confirmed that it did !!

Success !!

Thanks to the posters here for the advice ..

Does anyone know why even UPC are telling people that this doesn't work ?

On the porting form Section No. 3 it states that:
    "Certain services such as Monitored alarms will not work with our phone service"

I can see why Eircom would be telling people, But why are UPC claiming that it doesn't work ??

Thanks for getting back to us bob11,

I hope all there customers that they tell there lies too read your post which again proves them wrong about there system not being able to be monitored over UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Anybody know if this alarm will plug into UPC or whether it is too old? Scopetronic Vista 5 http://www.gard.ie/scopetronic.htm

Other than text, any dialler that works on Eircom will work on a UPC line.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭miked78

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for this thread, its been really helpful and its been great to find that its possible to get phonewatch connected with UPC. I am in the process of trying to do this and am slightly unsure of the steps.

My phonewatch box and phone socket are in the hallway and the UPC connection is in the living room. Do I replace my existing phone socket with the double RJ11, wire up as has been detailed and then run the RJ 11 lead from the UPC modem (in the living room) to the double socket in the hall? I don't have any other phones in use around the house. The phone runs off socket 2 or does it plug into the UPC modem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Yes you connect modem to the socket and then the phone plugs into the second socket.
    Don't forget to disconnect the incoming Eircom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭miked78

Thanks for the reply KoolKid. So, UPC modem is attached to the UPC wall connection and then just run the RJ 11 from this to socket 1 on the double RJ11 socket on the wall in the hall, yes? Is the eircom line just disconnected from behind the socket?

Many thanks for the help.

Yes.
    Basically think of the RJ11 output from the modem as your incoming phoneline insted of the Eircom line into the house.

miked78 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply KoolKid. So, UPC modem is attached to the UPC wall connection and then just run the RJ 11 from this to socket 1 on the double RJ11 socket on the wall in the hall, yes? Is the eircom line just disconnected from behind the socket?

Many thanks for the help.

If you already have a socket in the hall, just run the cable from the UPC to this point. Disconnect the main line coming in and connect the UPC line to where the main line was. Then any phone plunged into the front socket will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

HI KoolKid thanks for the info. I want to try get this done asap, but im living with the parents so cant screw up or i'll never hear the end of it. In my pics is it the kinda purple thing the eircom is connecting into? Im just trying to wrap my head around the whole thing. Added pic of the double rj11 socket i got. Baby steps please I feel very stupid at the moment :(. Last question for this post is can I can it mostly setup so when I get upc its a quick connect up? Thanks alot

• Advertisement

You can get rid of that Eircom master socket alltogether, you don't need it. The |L1 & L2 Seems to be the incoming line, discard that. & replace it with the pair coming from your UPC modem connect the return from your alarm to the other pairs (Blue/blue white) & onto the socket for your phone. On the double socket you use the Green & Red connections only.

Advertisement