Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom phonewatch & upc

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If RF Jam is turned off then RF jam will not report.
    Can you clarify what panel you are referring to and what frequency are the devices?

WRT GSM jamming the major factor is that no physical tampering is required.
    However I have a few more reasons to be cautious then Fred listed.
    Its not only the monitoring stations that should be concerned about explaining why no signals were received. Likewise, as an installer, I would not like to be facing a customer after they suffered a break-in and no signals were received.
    You are going to get... This was the equipment you sold me, you told me there was no real risk of jamming etc etc..
    Also the fact that no physical tampering is required means they are not going to be seeing opening box's or cutting cables etc.
    With GSM I always take the same line with customers. I explain how easily & cheaply they can be jammed. I also explain how they work so they understand it will not flag a line fault either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

KoolKid wrote: »
    If RF Jam is turned off then RF jam will not report.
    Can you clarify what panel you are referring to and what frequency are the devices?

WRT GSM jamming the major factor is that no physical tampering is required.
    However I have a few more reasons to be cautious then Fred listed.
    Its not only the monitoring stations that should be concerned about explaining why no signals were received. Likewise, as an installer, I would not like to be facing a customer after they suffered a break-in and no signals were received.
    You are going to get... This was the equipment you sold me, you told me there was no real risk of jamming etc etc..
    Also the fact that no physical tampering is required means they are not going to be seeing opening box's or cutting cables etc.
    With GSM I always take the same line with customers. I explain how easily & cheaply they can be jammed. I also explain how they work so they understand it will not flag a line fault either.

You are right to do that, we are after all the professionals and are leaving ourselves open by not advising clients to such weaknesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

This all comes down to our system design proposal and what grade of system should be installed by assessing the potential security risk to the premises.

99% of alarm installations are installed to protect against opertunistic burglars and not from burglars particularly targeting a premises. The more are risk premises obviously needs more protection To stop the communications being tampered with.

I'm obviously not going to get into the ins and outs of disabling phones lines, UPC and GSM dialler but I assume all you lads when installing fixed line diallers explain the risks of tampering with those too?

Evolution1 wrote: »
    It's a bit mad to think Phonewatch openly tell the country that they only use gsm. Anyone know why they switch off the jam detection on the panels ?
    Even when it's turned back on they ignore any jam signals received at the station. Is jam detection not required under EN-50131?

In my opinion, it's a huge mistake but i'm not going to complain to much as I'm currently benefiting from PW's new installation policy.

This all comes down to our system design proposal and what grade of system should be installed by assessing the potential security risk to the premises.

99% of alarm installations are installed to protect against opertunistic burglars and not from burglars particularly targeting a premises. The more are risk premises obviously needs more protection To stop the communications being tampered with.

I'm obviously not going to get into the ins and outs of disabling phones lines, UPC and GSM dialler but I assume all you lads when installing fixed line diallers explain the risks of tampering with those too?

I think we might be better off discussing this subject elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Both the simon panel 433.92mhz
    And the simon xt panel 868mhz
    But regardless the frequency shouldn't matter in terms of jamming.
    Yes when it's turned off it will not report but even when it's turned back on and the panel recognises and reports to the station they still ignore it. It's crazy.
    As another poster said phonewatch assured him that the engineer should have switched the RF jam detect off

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Capone79

In my opinion, it's a huge mistake but i'm not going to complain to much as I'm currently benefiting from PW's new installation policy.

And that is?If you don't mind me asking

Capone79 wrote: »
    And that is?If you don't mind me asking

Only installing beams, no perimeter protection. Burglar has to be inside house before alarm triggers.

Their beams have cameras in them. People don't like the idea of a group of lads in a control room looking at them.

All their systems will have a GSM dialler, this makes them particularly vulnerable to jamming.

Only installing beams, no perimeter protection. Burglar has to be inside house before alarm triggers.

Their beams have cameras in them. People don't like the idea of a group of lads in a control room looking at them.

All their systems will have a GSM dialler, this makes them particularly vulnerable to jamming.

Oh ok, yeah mine has the same, beams etc, but It isn't on a gsm dialer, it is connected to a secure Eircom phoneline, which I'm trying to get rid of and get a cheaper alternative without compromising security.

Oh ok, yeah mine has the same, beams etc, but It isn't on a gsm dialer, it is connected to a secure Eircom phoneline, which I'm trying to get rid of and get a cheaper alternative without compromising security.

All new installation ate GSM only, not sure what their plan is for existing systems but im sure they all be changed over at some stage.

Secure phone line? Did they really tell you that?

• Advertisement

All new installation ate GSM only, not sure what their plan is for existing systems but im sure they all be changed over at some stage.

😆Secure phone line, I never figured our Scandinavian cousins as funny.

Ha, no, I thought it was. So are you telling me there is no difference in the phoneline and a GSM box, security wise?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

To disconnect a PSTN land line requires physical tampering and the panel will register a line fault.
    Jamming a GSM signal requires no physical tampering and will not register a fault on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭altor

I suppose it depends on the GSM used.

The new world used in many installation just provides a line, no polling. Lucky to have a test call programmed in many cases.

A polled GSM like dual com misses the poll indicating a problem, albeit after the 5 missed polls.

With the HKC GSM it will register a jam detect and will log the event.

Anyone know the type of GSM P.W. is using in its new system?

altor wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on the GSM used.

The new world used in many installation just provides a line, no polling. Lucky to have a test call programmed in many cases.

A polled GSM like dual com misses the poll indicating a problem, albeit after the 5 missed polls.

With the HKC GSM it will register a jam detect and will log the event.

Anyone know the type of GSM P.W. is using in its new system?

No I haven't a clue but I'd be interested in the GSM that can detect a jam.

Would I be able to use any GSM unit with Eircom PW or do I have to use their one?

What would be better would be if a duel path failure could be treated as an attack & get the same response.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭altor

No I haven't a clue but I'd be interested in the GSM that can detect a jam.

Would I be able to use any GSM unit with Eircom PW or do I have to use their one?

I dont know what GSM they are using. It could still be the new world.
    The HKC GSM has Jam detect and will log the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jurrrr

Have UPC not introduced a service to do this for the existing PW customers looking to change? I'm in the process and the hassle of it all is making me have second thoughts

I imagine that they are scared of going near it because if anything happened afterwards they could be held responsible. It is just the times we live in, a while back you could slip a chap a few bob and he would do you a favour but not any more.

kub wrote: »
    I imagine that they are scared of going near it because if anything happened afterwards they could be held responsible. It is just the times we live in, a while back you could slip a chap a few bob and he would do you a favour but not any more.

So there is literally nothing I can do other than the option in the 2nd post on this thread or the 200e option thing?!

• Advertisement

Jurrrr wrote: »
    So there is literally nothing I can do other than the option in the 2nd post on this thread or the 200e option thing?!

Well if you do not feel like connecting it yourself you can always ask Phonewatch to do it for you. They will more than likely fleece you though.
    Have you considered getting another alarm company in to sort it out for you and perhaps get the thing monitored elsewhere for less money?

kub wrote: »
    Well if you do not feel like connecting it yourself you can always ask Phonewatch to do it for you. They will more than likely fleece you though.
    Have you considered getting another alarm company in to sort it out for you and perhaps get the thing monitored elsewhere for less money?

Is it possible to just cancel everything with eircom and then get a new company to monitor the eircom alarm? Utilise all the sensors etc? Is that heard of? Can you recommend any good alarm companies?

Jurrrr wrote: »
    Is it possible to just cancel everything with eircom and then get a new company to monitor the eircom alarm? Utilise all the sensors etc? Is that heard of? Can you recommend any good alarm companies?

Can a mechanic who works in a Ford garage fix a Toyota car? Of course if the guy has the correct approach.

It is of course possible to cancel your alarm monitoring, i am saying that as Eircom sold off Phonewatch a few months ago and are now different entities.

As i am sure you can appreciate there are hundreds of alarm companies up and down this Island, many of which can and others who will not work on your existing system.

Best bet is ring around and ask them have they any experience in maintaining a Phonewatch system.

Advertisement