Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The house that boards built!

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

muffler wrote: »
    Its acceptable providing "you're invited" is included in the same sentence <snip>
    Tis Quazzies gig, but, going off topic, you're always welcome in my gaff for a pint when you're in town :D

Now, as the mods normally say, best get back to the point at hand..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,316 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Steve wrote: »
    Tis Quazzies gig, but, going off topic, you're always welcome in my gaff for a pint when you're in town :D
    Cheers Steve, I'll keep that in mind. Took me 3 days to recover after the last meet up :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Great thread, Quazzie.
    Just one thought on your last post: have you considered the possibility of the drinking water in the tank freezing if we get the low temps of the last 2 winters? :( It's unlikely the pumphouse will be insulated.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I remember reading this at the start thinking, my build will not go this slow. Here I sit months later with just about nothing done and awaiting planning permission. Like yourself I am in no major rush but the banks are going to torture me on the morgtage front.

Glad you added that about the 5% - 10% it was one of the first things I was told. The bank basicly don't believe me that I can build it for 65euro/sqr foot and want proof so inflating the morgtage above what I really need will be easy. I am actaully going for 25% above what I need but it's still within what I can pay asI want to 100% finish the house before I move in. Landscape and all. Sounds mad but I want as little disruption to the kids as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

jprboy wrote: »
    Great thread, Quazzie.
    Just one thought on your last post: have you considered the possibility of the drinking water in the tank freezing if we get the low temps of the last 2 winters? :( It's unlikely the pumphouse will be insulated.
    The pumphouse is built from Cavity block and is lined internally with 60mm Kingspan. I've been told by the plumber that this is probably unnecessary but I have done it anyways. I have taken his advice though and installed two frostlamps that are thermostatically controlled, which will hopefully be enough (famous last words)

TomTom wrote: »
    I remember reading this at the start thinking, my build will not go this slow. Here I sit months later with just about nothing done and awaiting planning permission. Like yourself I am in no major rush but the banks are going to torture me on the morgtage front.

Glad you added that about the 5% - 10% it was one of the first things I was told. The bank basicly don't believe me that I can build it for 65euro/sqr foot and want proof so inflating the morgtage above what I really need will be easy. I am actaully going for 25% above what I need but it's still within what I can pay asI want to 100% finish the house before I move in. Landscape and all. Sounds mad but I want as little disruption to the kids as possible.
    I had to resort to getting a personal loan which will see me finish the house so that I can move. It will be basicalyl furnished, and two of the bedrooms will remain incomplete till we get more money, but we are in the situation now that we are paying 97% of our mortgage payments, on top of rent so we just want to get in.

Just an update on prices.
    Flooring
    WE bought 8mm Walnut laminate flooring for the hall sitting room and play room. We got it in the end for €10.85 per SqM. This might seem a bit expensive to some when compared to others but this is quality material and I plumped for the 8mm in the heavy traffic areas of the house. We got the 90SqM of laminate floor layed for €450 which form I think is a pretty good price.
    We also got a price for the tiling which we've accepted and it is €8.95 per SqM, which again I am happy with as I've seen the guys tiling and its top notch.

Stairs
    We have commissioned our stairs to a local guy. Its gonna be a ivory painted stairs with walnut threads and handles. The price for manufacturing the stairs is €2300 with "3-4 hundred" to fit it. I'm happy to leave the fitting a bit vague considering that the stairs was less than half of our nearest quote. Again this guy came highly recommended from anyone I have talked to about it and looking at some of his work I can see why.

General Update
    The water filtration guy, electrician, and plumber are all scheduled on site to finish within the next week. That means heating will be introduced shortly. Our tiler says not to turn it on until he is finished the tiling, so I might have to wait an extra week. We have 14 doorkits on order (Walnut shaker, 4 glazed) and including all the skirting in red deal (painted white) the total price is €4000, which seems to blow every other supplier out of the water, and even better is that its a local guy so the money stays local which I've been happy to say is the case with most of the build.

General Update

The tiler arrived today and is tiling out kitchen and utility room. We got what I consider to be a good price, again from a local guy of €475 to tile 63sqYards* plus €245 for the adhesive and grout which he prefers to use**. I might have gotten cheaper if I shopped around a bit more, but I know this guy and I know his work so I'm happy to pay the money for the standard he gives.

I got a recommendation from the manufacturer of the stairs of someone to fit it, and he came out and offered a price, which was more than I budgeted but I accepted the premium for the guarantee of his workmanship. Using someone that the manufacturer recommends and uses regularly was important to me as I felt by splitting the job it might lead to problems whereas this means that all parties involved are in constant contact and know where each other is coming from. In terms of my stairs I'm only too happy pay marginally more for the peace of mind. Total pricing for fitting is coming in at €550, which includes the stairs and about 8M of ballustrade upstairs.

Next Up:
    Doors, Blinds for the windows, Final fix plumbing etc

Just a note on my kitchen. We bought an ex-display kitchen from a manufacturer in Kildare. The kitchen is exactly what we want and we are nothing but happy with the quality for the product we got, but because it was ex-display we had to make minor compromises and move some things around. The main one being the fridge and the sink. We were happy to do this but it also meant our socket layout in the kitchen was wrong. We now have two sockets which our electrician has stated is outside regulations due to proximity to the water source at the sink. Oops was my reaction. FUUUUU was my second. Luckily he has offered to rechase the walls where they are, go back to the source at at the top of the wall and relocate the sockets to suit. There is a decent bit of work involved but he assures me it won't cost more than "a couple hundred euro". Disappointing really but when it comes to Regs I'm a real stickler so it has to be done.

*i hate using SqYards but thats the price he gave
    ** I've been advised numerous times never to buy grout as all tilers prefer using whatever brand/type they are used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Quazzie wrote: »
    I consider to be a good price, again from a local guy of €475 to tile 63sqYards* plus €245 for the adhesive and grout which he prefers to use**. I might have gotten cheaper if I shopped around a bit more, .

Sounds like a great price to me, €475 to lay 63sqYards of tiles.

RKQ wrote: »
    Sounds like a great price to me, €475 to lay 63sqYards of tiles.

I'm happy enough with it overall. I never though the price of tiling was so much so it was initially a shock but people keep telling me that its a great price.

Just after getting a phone call and they are scheduled to be finished this evening. :D

Overall there is a genuine feeling of excitement in the evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

A few questions for you Quazzie, apologies if you're addressed these already.
    1. What u-value is the roof?
    2. Did you use phpp?
    3. What's your anticipated heat demand going to be?

Hats off for getting it built for 65/sq.ft. Gives us all hope!

• Advertisement

1. Its stated somewhere earlier in the thread. I'll see can I root it out for you.
    2. No. When I was designing this PHPP seemed like pipedream stuff. I see its a lot more common now, but I Never used it in the process of designing my house. 3. I'm not 100% sure but again I'll try root it out for you.

Not quiet getting in for under €65/sqft but hopefully for under €70 which I think is still pretty good.

1. Its stated somewhere earlier in the thread. I'll see can I root it out for you.
    2. No. When I was designing this PHPP seemed like pipedream stuff. I see its a lot more common now, but I Never used it in the process of designing my house. 3. I'm not 100% sure but again I'll try root it out for you.

Not quiet getting in for under €65/sqft but hopefully for under €70 which I think is still pretty good.

Still a great price considering the level of finish. It hasn't been without effort and connections in the trade though, and is well deserved. I'm also amazed at how accomodating you are to people and their various requests for further info - such as this one! Fair dues to you.

I spotted the u-value for the floor, walls and windows alright but not for the roof, hence the enquiry. The phpp has gained huge momentum as well in a very short time. It was still a novelty when you started. It seems to be the business! Time will tell.

I was asked this on another forum so I said I'd post it here too.
    draffodx wrote:
    Quazzie, quick question, do you find building your own house to be stressful or enjoyable? If you had a choice would you build a house all over again or just buy one somewhere already built?

That's two very separate questions. Firstly on whether it is stressful or enjoyable. It is immensely stressful. It is something that is all consuming. If you look at your life as it is now, and try to look at the few minutes you get at certain times during the day/week where you just sit for a minute or two and relax, well they don't exist any more. Every waking minute that isn't dedicated to something else is dedicated to thinking about the house. There are always a million tiny different decisions to be made, and every single one of them have to be lived with. Stuff you take for granted in a house have to be addressed, and because its your own house you really have to put thought into it. The only way I've been able to deal with this is to make the build really really long so that I have proper time to research all the little bits and try come up with solutions I'm happy to live with. Also it really throws off your interpretation of money. In normal life, depending on what our financial situation is we think of everything in terms of €10 or €100. For example you think I'll buy a pair of jeans so you think to yourself ok thats gonna be €50 (5x€10), when you are building a house this increment is changed to €1000. Figures quoted are in massive multiples so suddenly you think that €20 is nothing and only equivalent to what you previously equated to €2. I have found it hard at times to separate my personal budget management, and my house budget management. This at times has lead me to being reckless with my personal budget as I've impulsed bought with large sums because they felt like small sums.

Now for the second question about whether I would buy a house. No. Building has been massively stressful and has nearly broke me both financially and emotionally at times, but when I walk through my house I know it is exactly what I want, and I could never buy a house where I could state that.

A very honest, personal and thought provoking post Quazzie. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Just to fire a couple of other questions at you. Leaving the money aspect aside for a moment do you think it would have been less stressful say 6 or 7 years ago when there was less detailing and attention to be paid to the renewables, ventilation, insulation, cold bridging etc etc?

If you were starting all over again tomorrow would you still go down the direct labour route or engage a contractor? - budget permitting of course.

A very honest, personal and thought provoking post Quazzie. Thank you for sharing that with us.
    Thanks. Its not something I've ever really thought about but when asked the question it kind of just all came out.
    Just to fire a couple of other questions at you. Leaving the money aspect aside for a moment do you think it would have been less stressful say 6 or 7 years ago when there was less detailing and attention to be paid to the renewables, ventilation, insulation, cold bridging etc etc?
    In a word Yes. I was constantly always aware of the benefits of doing it the right way, but the stress came into it when I tried to figure out what the best way to achieve the results required. Its not like you can apply a formula to a house and say "Do A and B and then you will have C". The truth is its more like "You can do X or Y or Z, but if you use X you need to use A and if you use Y or Z you can't use B but can use D, and at the end of it all you might end up with D". There is no definitive answer to what renewable to use or what build method to employ. What I've done is try find a combination that suited me.

Then came the second stressful part of it. After deciding on a solution for myself I then had to go about trying to portray the importance of doing it the way I wanted to the builders I selected. My Dad and Uncle done a massive amount of work on the house, and I saved a fortune because of it, but they are old-school builders and have really struggled to come to terms with my 'new age' thinking in terms of insulation/renewable energy etc. This has lead to arguments and work having to be redone because it wasn't done to my satisfaction. My advice to avoid this is if at all possible, find a builder that is educated on modern building techniques and one who will listen to your concerns and who you feel comfortable with.

I've tried my best to get the best building fabric I could afford that suited my situation, but I've always had the feeling that shortly after investing in a method its outdated, or a 'better' solutions becomes available. Its a sign of the fast moving nature of the industry currently, and the every increasing importance of new technologies. When I started stuff like PHP and Airtightness was something that applied to passive houses and was the stuff of dreams, or the wealthy. Now its increasingly normal and in all probability it will soon be standard spec. To equate it to something its like buying a new phone, only to have Steve Jobs (or his replacement as is the case now) announce a shiny new version of it, a few weeks later, with a better screen, better camera and you suddenly have an old phone.
    If you were starting all over again tomorrow would you still go down the direct labour route or engage a contractor? - budget permitting of course.
    I'd definitely go down the direct labour route, but one thing I would do is that I would hire a project manager to help buffer some of the stress for me, and to deal with on-site issues that I couldn't deal with immediately due to work.
    I suppose if you found the right contractor then he would do a similar job, but I feel a project manager would be more suited to my particular needs as I like to take my time over the decisions made. In my situation in hindsight hiring a project manager would've easily paid for itself, which was the main reason I didn't go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭peterc14

I was asked this on another forum so I said I'd post it here too.

Also it really throws off your interpretation of money. In normal life, depending on what our financial situation is we think of everything in terms of €10 or €100. For example you think I'll buy a pair of jeans so you think to yourself ok thats gonna be €50 (5x€10), when you are building a house this increment is changed to €1000. Figures quoted are in massive multiples so suddenly you think that €20 is nothing and only equivalent to what you previously equated to €2. I have found it hard at times to separate my personal budget management, and my house budget management. This at times has lead me to being reckless with my personal budget as I've impulsed bought with large sums because they felt like small sums.

Now for the second question about whether I would buy a house. No. Building has been massively stressful and has nearly broke me both financially and emotionally at times, but when I walk through my house I know it is exactly what I want, and I could never buy a house where I could state that.

Totally agree with you 100% having finished house recently... money does not seem to go far when building a house. Now that I am finished I am hoping I can go back to thinking that 50 euro is quite a bit of money and not just a couple of sheets of insulation or couple lengths of timber etc!!

Also totally agree that although it basically takes over your life and thinking, if you design it as you want and all the little details are as you had planned and wanted then its very very rewarding and makes living in the house that you stressed over great.

• Advertisement

11-11-11

Seems almost poetic that I should move in on that date, but thats what seems to be happening :D

11-11-11

Seems almost poetic that I should move in on that date, but thats what seems to be happening :D
    Go for the grand slam and open the door at 11 minutes past 11 in the morning :D

Im sure you're relived as well as excited

Im sure you're relived as well as excited

Massively excited and equally as nervous. Worried that when it actually comes to live in it, ill discover a million design flaws, but I suppose thats all part of the charm of the building process.

11-11-11

Very fitting Quazzie, best of luck in the new house! Let us know how it is to live in;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Having moved into a house in need of updating during the summer, I have a whole new level of respect for anyone who takes on a build!

Fair play to you Quazzie. Enjoy it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Just want to say, well done quazzie!

The house looks amazing and you can see the hard work you put into ever detail of it

I wish you the best in your new home for your family :)

Cheers Tal. Also a massive thanks for coming out and taking some pictures of the house. Here it is.

house001o.jpg

This is the kitchen. The addition of an "American style fridge" is probably the only thing that will change. The more eagle eyed among you will notice the dangerously placed sockets beside the sink. I want to assure you that these are deactivated and are going to be moved. We placed them before we bought the kitchen, but because we bought a display kitchen for a discount price they were placed wrong. They were deactivated because of the proximity to the sink and the obvious dangers involved and we are currently waiting for them to be moved.
    house002q.jpg

This is just another view of it showing the corner window.
    house003a.jpg

This is the other end of the same room. As you can see we've set aside one part as a dining area, and another part of the room as a tV viewing/relaxing area. I am so proud of this room as it works exactly how I wanted it to. We can watch TV whilst eating our dinner, we can sit at the table whilst talking to others sitting on the couch. It has a really relaxed feel to it, and the flow of the room is superb. The light and heat that comes through the windows from even the faintest of sunshine is amazing and adds massively to the room both aesthetically and also in the solar gain.
    house004e.jpg

Next up is the entrance/foyer. This is where the stairs is. It is mostly unfinished but I'll put up the pictures as it gives an idea of what it will look like when finished. The stairs and ballustrade upstairs are unpainted/unstained but they'll be painted white over the next few weeks with the walnut threads and handrail getting a nice lacquer to bring out the colour. I am delighted with the stairs. The quality is really excellent, and I know its still early days but there is zero movement in it. its solid and excellently put together. as you can imagine from the second picture, when you walk in the front door your eyes are immediately drawn upwards to the 2 keylite windows up above. The large stained purlin beams above really give a beautiful 'old' feel to the foyer. Its hints at my original idea for the house, which has always been a modern take on an old farmhouse.
    http://pix.ie/tallon/2644722
    http://pix.ie/tallon/2644723

There are two bedrooms which remain unfinished, but I am in no hurry to do anything with them yet. This picture shows how far along they are, but I'm happy to just close the door on them for now until we are settled, both mentally and financially.
    http://pix.ie/tallon/2644721

As they say on MTV cribs, this is where the magic happens. The master bedroom. Plenty of more furniture to be added but I'm really happy with how it feels. The room might look small but I think the bed throws off the scale a bit because its a Super King Size (6ft x 6ft) bed. The thing is absolutely massive, but sits nicely in the room. I forgot to ask Tallon to take a picture from the other way showing the doors to the en-suite and WIW but I'll do that later myself and edit this post to include it.
    http://pix.ie/tallon/2644720

Now just back to the outside one more time to the South elevation. As you can see I went with the idea 'more glass = good'. The corner windows are what people comment on the most, and I'm really happy with how they turned out. This is the view you see when you drive up to the house so its the first impression people get and I have to say I'm delighted with how it all turned out.
    http://pix.ie/tallon/2644712

I'll keep adding pictures as I go along finishing room and landscaping but I just wanted to put these up to show the progress so far.

This is the kitchen. The addition of an "American style fridge" is probably the only thing that will change. The more eagle eyed among you will notice the dangerously placed sockets beside the sink. I want to assure you that these are deactivated and are going to be moved..

BS, I can see them plugged in :P

I was actually referring to the ones just over the fridge, but now that you say it I must ask the electrician when he returns about the proximity of the others.

I was actually referring to the ones just over the fridge, but now that you say it I must ask the electrician when he returns about the proximity of the others.
    Put them behind the tea-coffee things... Near the cooker.. Won't need to move the electronics at all then

Tallon wrote: »
    Put them behind the tea-coffee things... Near the cooker.. Won't need to move the electronics at all then

I think there is a regulation about the proximity of an electrical outlet to a water source. I'll have to look it up as its not a regulation I'm familiar with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Well done Quazzie, it's been a long time coming. I hope you have a decent sweeping brush though because I'm still finding coffe beans since your last visit here :mad:

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Well done Quazzie, it's been a long time coming. I hope you have a decent sweeping brush though because I'm still finding coffe beans since your last visit here :mad:

And thats why you'll never step foot in my house. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 podgecase

well done on completion great thread. Could you pm me where you got doors from thanks. Were they kit form. look lovely....:)

Just thought I'd pop this here...

Passive house time lapse building in Wicklow

22564 pictures, 15 minutes full animation edited down to 5 minutes.
    Camera Nikon D5000 time lapse function integrated, one picture every minutes.

Enjoy !

<SNIP>

Mod edit: Tallon please read the forum charter. You're around long enough to know better.

Sorry muffler, I literally just Copy Pasted that, didn't read the last bit... Obviously have NO affiliation whatsoever with the company

Apologies again

• Advertisement

I woke up this morning, and pulled the curtains to be met with a window covered in condensation. Having bought a high spec double glazing I was worried about what it meant, especially since all four panes in the window had it on it. What I found upon further inspection really confused me though. The condensation was on the outside of the glass. :confused:

I was that taken back by it I was straight onto google to try find an answer. What I found was this, so instead of being worried, I should be happy, because it means my window is of a high spec, and its a good thing :D

According to this, it only happens in certain weather conditions also, all of which were met today. Hopefully that means it won't be an ongoing issue so.

I woke up this morning, and pulled the curtains to be met with a window covered in condensation. Having bought a high spec double glazing I was worried about what it meant, especially since all four panes in the window had it on it. What I found upon further inspection really confused me though. The condensation was on the outside of the glass. :confused:

I was that taken back by it I was straight onto google to try find an answer. What I found was this, so instead of being worried, I should be happy, because it means my window is of a high spec, and its a good thing :D

According to this, it only happens in certain weather conditions also, all of which were met today. Hopefully that means it won't be an ongoing issue so.
    The joys of it "doing what it says on the tin" :D

I came across this locally last year where a refit with triple glazing resulted in the North facing windows experiencing external condensation. I had a fair bit of difficulty in trying to explain it to the client. :(

Forgot to ask....are you well settled in and is there anything you would change or do differently?

Forgot to ask....are you well settled in and is there anything you would change or do differently?
    Definitely. I don't think anyone moves into a house and thinks they wouldn't do some things differently. I'll throw a few up here now, but I'll go away and have a proper think about it and post a more comprehensive answer later.

A few small things I would change:
    1. Light switches. A few of them, whilst in the most logical place are just in the wrong place. A bit more thinking on the subject, and a few more practice walk arounds of the house, and I would've discovered that a few of them would be moved to somewhere that feels a little more natural. Its only a small thing but its something that affects us ever day.
    2. Wooden floors. I've got either wooden floors (laminate) or tiles throughout the whole house. As an aesthetic theme, they work perfectly and tie some of the rooms together, and blend them into the hall, to give a lovely appearance. Living with them though is a different subject. They attract a lot of dust which really shows up on them, but that's not even the biggest issue. The sound just bounces off them. This means that sound can be heard throughout the house. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to start putting down some rugs to try counteract it.
    3. The Foyer. When you walk in through the front door the Foyer is double height and its one of the best parts of the house. The problem being though that its also the worst thing to live with. Nearly all the rooms, in some way open up onto the Foyer. This means that all the noises of the house get transmitted through this and it's hard to live with especially when we've a three year old who goes to bed at half eight.
    4. The kitchen. At the moment the only TV in the house is in the kitchen/dining/living open plan room. This leads to a bit of a problem when trying to watch TV when dinner is being prepared. The noises involved in cooking means the TV can't be heard and eventually gets turned up until all of a sudden we're shouting before we know it.

I'll try post up some more later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

They attract a lot of dust which really shows up on them,

Just remember that there is just as much dust in a house with carpets, it's just that it isn't so obvious as it gets trapped between the fibres in the carpet.

At least with your wood and tile floors there is no where for the dust to get trapped and it gets cleaned away regularly.

With carpets even if you are meticulous in vacuuming them regularly it is still next to impossible to get all the dust out.

Then bear in mind that contained in household dust are lots of things like human skin follicles that dust mites just love to feed on.

Just try Googling for information on the amount of allergens and other nasties that build up in carpets over time and you will be glad of the minor irritation of seeing the dust on your hard floor.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

Sorted :):

g_02626195.jpg
    Link

I actually have the same problem in my house, having both tiles or wood in the all of the rooms downstairs.
    They are a nightmare to keep clean and I am actually thinking of buying one the automatic vacuum cleaners next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Either of you gents have HRV installed?

We've 150m2 of tiling\timber down stairs and we're not experiencing the dust issue that we would previously have had in our old house on tiles\timber. We do have HRV.

We also don't have rads which I too understand can cause dust to gather etc.

When I was specing early on in our build I was considering a centralized vacuum system. I was concerned how that it might affect the balance of the HRV so I asked the PHI about it. They stated that it wouldn't make any difference but that they don't recommend them because the HRV unit considerably cuts down on dust in a home so the benefit of the centralized vacuum system was greatly reduced.

It may be another small but worthy plus point for HRV.

Granted if either of you do have HRV then I've just spent 20 lines blowing hot air...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

Do you need internal ducting for HRV to work though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

davkav wrote: »
    Do you need internal ducting for HRV to work though?

Yes, I wasn't suggesting you upgrade. It was an observation.

• Advertisement

davkav wrote: »
    Sorted :):

g_02626195.jpg
    Link

I actually have the same problem in my house, having both tiles or wood in the all of the rooms downstairs.
    They are a nightmare to keep clean and I am actually thinking of buying one the automatic vacuum cleaners next month.

Have you feedback from anyone that has one? We've a labrador which adds alot of hair and dirt into the mix:(. If the place isn't hoovered for 2 days it looks like there is thumbleweed blowing around the place:rolleyes:

I got my ESB bill Friday which completed my first year of bills for the house. €2724 for the year, which might sound like a massive amount to some, but there are other factors in play. 1. Its the first year of a new build which is always more expensive than any other year as the house is still drying out. 2. That figure includes all out electricity and all our heating. 3. Its a large 3000 sqft house so can't really be compared to a standard semi-D. We don't have any fires or rads so everything is included in that.

I got my ESB bill Friday which completed my first year of bills for the house. €2724 for the year, which might sound like a massive amount to some, but there are other factors in play. 1. Its the first year of a new build which is always more expensive than any other year as the house is still drying out. 2. That figure includes all out electricity and all our heating. 3. Its a large 3000 sqft house so can't really be compared to a standard semi-D. We don't have any fires or rads so everything is included in that.
    Can you remind us how you're supplying heat and hot water? ;)

just do it wrote: »
    Can you remind us how you're supplying heat and hot water? ;)

All coming from a geothermal heat pump and ufh. Dual meter for the ESB so it's ran at night as much as possible.

By way of comparison a 2004 dormer bungalow that had an energy upgrade in Jan/Feb 2001 is annually costing €2,500 to run. €800 electricity, €1,200 oil, €500 solid fuel for stove. It is 150m2 and after the upgrade has a BER rating of 170kWh/m2/yr.

So half the size costing the same amount to run and while much improved, still not a comfortably warm house to live in:(. It's an exposed site and a windy night like tonight is the big issue. It just saps the heat out of the house. The master bedroom is upstairs on the western gable with 3 external walls and a window on each of those. Looks great, but it's a cold hoor of a room!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 manhattan28

Hi Quazzie,

Just by way as a follow up to this thread I was wondering have you done much more to the house since moving in and what the cost per sq. foot price is now. I'd imagine if you built a garage, did landscaping (including seeded lawn, kerbing, tarmac, gates, pillars and walls), completed the two bedrooms and bought American style fridge etc, that your current price would have gone from 70 euro/sq foot to at least 80 euro/sq foot (€30K extra)?

Also does you cost include planning and architect fees, engineer fees, percolation test, solicitor cost etc?

Very informative and interesting post btw :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 irish1

More Glass / Windows = More Heat Loss !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

More education / thought = better posting = longer life expectancy around here.

Advertisement