Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,091 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I'm about halfway through Slade House by David Mitchell. I remember loving Bone Clocks and am enjoying this so far too. There's something about his style of writing I really enjoy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'm reading The Way of All Flesh by Ambrose Parry and enjoying it so far. 19th century Edinburgh is an interesting place :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

miamee wrote: »
    I'm reading The Way of All Flesh by Ambrose Parry and enjoying it so far. 19th century Edinburgh is an interesting place :D
    Did read it not that long ago and really enjoyed it !

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm about halfway through Slade House by David Mitchell. I remember loving Bone Clocks and am enjoying this so far too. There's something about his style of writing I really enjoy.

I loooove David Mitchell, you can really get lost in his books. :) The only one I didn't really like was Number9Dream, way too violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Xofpod

New one coming out shortly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Just finished Dear Child by Romy Hausemann (translated by Jamie Bulloch) ... superbly chilling & I just could not put it down

Next is Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Finished Leonard and Hungry Paul. Not sure what all the hype is about. It's an easy read but there's no substance to the story. The characters are quite charismatic though.
    Next up is the Audible version of Dervla McTiernan's new book, The Good Turn. She usually delivers a good story.

The last resort: a memoir of Zimbabwe by Douglas Rogers
    True story of a family and their backpacker lodge during the crisis.

On another note,
    This Sat went (first time since lockdown) to drop books to a charity shop.
    I do regular clear-outs at home because of lack of space, and this time had built up quite a stash.
    Was surprised to see the staff surrounded by boxes and boxes of donated books, they were nearly overwhelmed.

Just started Get a Life, Chloe Brown. Liking it so far! I had started an ebook version of Yellow Wallpaper (a short story) but the version I got from the kindle store was a disaster, full blocks of sentences missing so impossible to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

In the midst of The Night Circus and I am thoroughly enjoying it!

Back in Tudor England again with Prophecy by S J Parris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

David Copperfield
    Beautiful.

I'm reading Sally Rooney's Conversations with Friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

bobbyss wrote: »
    David Copperfield
    Beautiful.

In a similar vein - just finished Oliver Twist, very enjoyable preceded by Great Expectations which I didnt enjoy as I found the language off putting and overall too long for what is=t contained. However, back to the library tomorrow.

An American Marriage by Tayari Jones

• Advertisement

The Fourth Shore by Virginia Baily
    Set in 1930's colonial Libya

My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Callan57 wrote: »
    My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell

I enjoyed that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Finished Chapter & Verse: New Order, Joy Division and Me, by Bernard Sumner. This is my third or fourth read through memoirs of that Manchester period, and it's definitely diminishing returns by this stage....
    Also read the Fifth Season, N.K.Jemisin, a fantasy novel - great storytelling and setting. I'll definitely pick up the sequels.

Next, on to Washington Black, Esi Edugyan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kattunge

Currently reading A Man Called Ove. So far so good.

• Advertisement

Finished The Hungry Road by Marita Conlon-McKenna. A bit of a bleak book but worth reading just to be reminded that there were worse times than those we're going through now.

Going to revisit Thomas McNulty & Co. now with Sebastian Barry's A Thousand Moons.

Wyldwood wrote: »
    now with Sebastian Barry's A Thousand Moons.
    I did read it just a few weeks ago and liked it. Might try other books by the same author.

Have just started The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished Naomi Klein's This Changes Everything Capitalism v The Climate.
    I cannot recommend the book highly enough. It was published in 2014 so things have obviously got worse not better with the climate since it was published but she really gets to the heart of what has happened and what needs to be done to save us and the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

Just finished Uncovered by Leah Lax.

Now onto How We Disappeared by Jing-Jing Lee.

Finished My Dark Vanessa this morning ... really disturbing but gripping read, awesome for a debut novel.

Then I read The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse for a bit of kindness and gentleness ... beautiful, inspiring little read

Now it's on to American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins

Finished Get a Life Chloe Brown, mostly a nice romance story, but some random Mills and Boon-esque sex scenes popped up that were a bit jarring and distracting.

Onto The Silent Patient now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

"In Times of Fading Light" by Eugen Ruge. Excellent. It deserves all the prizes it won, and then some.

Just finished Stoner by John Williams.
    I had not heard of it before, found it in a bookshop amongst the "new classics".
    What an amazing book, won't forget it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Started " All that's dead" by Stuart Mac Bride,

Starting Our Little Cruelties by Liz Nugent ... If it's as good as Unravelling Oliver I'll be very happy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart.

On to The Young Survivors by Debra Barnes.

Starting Our Little Cruelties by Liz Nugent ... If it's as good as Unravelling Oliver I'll be very happy

A great read imo. Unravelling Oliver is the only one of hers I haven’t read!

adox wrote: »
    A great read imo. Unravelling Oliver is the only one of hers I haven’t read!

You should give it a go, I really enjoyed it

You should give it a go, I really enjoyed it

Have it on kindle to read.

Finished Fifty-fifty By Steve Cavanagh yesterday.

Exhilarating courtroom drama.

adox wrote: »
    Have it on kindle to read.

Finished Fifty-fifty By Steve Cavanagh yesterday.

Exhilarating courtroom drama.

:) I picked up Twisted from the library earlier this evening

Just started the first book from The Last Kingdom.

I've never really followed a series of books and feet it might be a good time to settle into a sequence of page turners, for various reasons.

I like it after the first couple of chapters anyway.

My Coney Island Baby by Billy O’Callaghan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Just after finishing Shadowplay by Joseph O'Connor. Not previously a major fan but enjoyed this. Hugely entertaining.

• Advertisement

Orchid & The Wasp by Caoilinn Hughes

Magpie Lane by Lucy Atkins.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just finished "Hollywood Park" - A Memoir by Mikel Jollett.

Jollett is the front man of US band The Airborne Toxic Event. When I first heard he'd written a memoir I assumed it would be about his journey to music, forming the band, touring, the highs and lows of the rock and roll lifestyle etc. And while it does eventually lead to music and the band, it starts with him, aged 5, his older brother, and their mother, escaping from the infamous Synanon cult, which he was born into, and had lived with all the other children, separate from their parents from the age of 6 months, in what was essentially an orphanage within the cult compound. The bulk of the book is Jollett recounting their life after this point, on the run initially from the now violent cult, then his long road to understanding, accepting and dealing with the long lasting damage of those early years, and his relationships with his parents and brother, who were all dealing with the same things in very different ways.

It's a really good read, and despite dealing with some really dark stuff it's ultimately a love letter to his dad and to music and to family.

Just after finishing Shadowplay by Joseph O'Connor. Not previously a major fan but enjoyed this. Hugely entertaining.

I borrowed this during lockdown, it's the kind of book I would normally lap up but I just couldn't get into it. I fully plan on getting my hands on it again though and hopefully will enjoy it next time.

Renia's Diary by Renia Spiegel.

Finished American Dirt. It's an amazing book, had me sitting on the edge of my seat for a lot of the time. Harrowing read at times but an extraordinary reminder of the terrible situations migrants of all nationalities have to endure to escape from intolerable situations.

• Advertisement

Finished Cadillac Jack by Larry McMurtry
    Now reading US by David Nicholls, charming so far

Finished Orchid & The Wasp ... bit of a struggle to finish it, just didn't do it for me.

The Heat of Betrayal by Douglas Kennedy

On the Night Circus now, and finding it very...padded.

miamee wrote: »

And now I am reading the follow up, The Art of Dying and it is also fantastic :)

Disobedience by Naomi Alderman

• Advertisement
Advertisement