Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the roughest pub in Dublin city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

GRACKEA wrote: »
    Ahhh I have a soft spot for the Chancery. Around 9/10am is an amazing anthropology opportunity. On weekends though so you get a good mix!

Lads with scars on their face from forehead to chin always had me on edge. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Ballybough had a pub where an IRA man who was managing the pub was shot dead a year or two ago.

There’s a pub up from Meath street market on a street with a few antique shops that is just bleak. The povos with enough money to sit inside do but there is a contingent of povos who don’t have enough money to sit inside who turn up with a bag of cans or whatever and stand a door up and let their kids play about while they shout over to whoever is outside for a smoke like as if they are patrons of the pub too. This was a Sunday I think. I parked there to walk up to Meath street and jumped in the car and locked the door in a mad panicked scramble when I got back at like 6pm on a summer day. I don’t think the pub has a name just a door and some smokers. There was a little church on the corner of the street that tourist were stopping to photo. About three or four minutes walk from Meath street.

There’s another couple of bars just off the spire heading towards temple street that have smell bags sat outside at 3pm out of their heads with kids in buggies. Always busy on a weekday afternoon too.

sugarman wrote: »
    The Lamplighter or Graingers?

Both are awful kips.

Which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

A favourite pastime of mine is a game called Danger Pints. A drink in some of the roughest pubs in Dublin. Generally you go in on a weeknight/weekend afternoon. Have one, max two drinks. Preferably sit at the bar for maximum enjoyment. Bonus points if there's been a murder or murder attempt. Ones I've frequented to date:

Barn House, Dolphins Barn
    Finches, Neilstown
    Jobstown House
    Killinarden House, Tallaght
    The Marble Arch, Drimnagh (my local)
    The Black Forge, Crumlin
    Cleary's, Kilmainham (surprisingly, this is the one I felt most uneasy in)

sugarman wrote: »
    The one you were talking about on Meath St.

Oh right. It’s not on Meath street. If you leave the market main entrance and head left to the chemist a bit up the road then take a left directly at the chemist you walk by loads of flats or assisted living looking buildings on the left and little houses on your right. A bit up this road is a big republican mural thing visible in an estate to the left. Three or four minutes up this road lands you at this pub with a little church and a few antique shops in a cluster.

Mad I remember the little details of this little trek because I was so on edge that fateful summer day. I also tried to buy pork ribs from the butchers but they hadn’t got any left. Lucky really because I don’t think I’d have made it back to my car if I went down this road with a bag of pork ribs.

Looking at google maps it’s Francis street I’m talking about. Can’t tell which one is the tough pub and which one is the hipster pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

A favourite pastime of mine is a game called Danger Pints. A drink in some of the roughest pubs in Dublin. Generally you go in on a weeknight/weekend afternoon. Have one, max two drinks. Preferably sit at the bar for maximum enjoyment. Bonus points if there's been a murder or murder attempt. Ones I've frequented to date:

Finches, Neilstown
    Jobstown House
    The Black Forge, Crumlin

Excellent this is what I was looking for. A concise list of where I might possibly get involved in a brawl or lose my life. Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The Finches is really not that bad. Try The Swallows in Deansrath. Chasers in Ballyfermot is intimidating due to the upstairs setup, but it's probably more depressing and grim than truly dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

BDI wrote: »
    Ballybough had a pub where an IRA man who was managing the pub was shot dead a year or two ago.

There’s a pub up from Meath street market on a street with a few antique shops that is just bleak. The povos with enough money to sit inside do but there is a contingent of povos who don’t have enough money to sit inside who turn up with a bag of cans or whatever and stand a door up and let their kids play about while they shout over to whoever is outside for a smoke like as if they are patrons of the pub too. This was a Sunday I think. I parked there to walk up to Meath street and jumped in the car and locked the door in a mad panicked scramble when I got back at like 6pm on a summer day. I don’t think the pub has a name just a door and some smokers. There was a little church on the corner of the street that tourist were stopping to photo. About three or four minutes walk from Meath street.

There’s another couple of bars just off the spire heading towards temple street that have smell bags sat outside at 3pm out of their heads with kids in buggies. Always busy on a weekday afternoon too.

The Liberty Belle, it always seems to have a few cushioned stools and waster outside it during the day.
    They have a sign outside inviting tourists in to pull their own pint. I'd bet any that did wouldn't be rushing back anytime soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

The Finches is really not that bad. Try The Swallows in Deansrath. Chasers in Ballyfermot is intimidating due to the upstairs setup, but it's probably more depressing and grim than truly dodgy.

Yeah the Swallows in Deansrath is far worse than Finches. Some fella strolled in there with a shotgun a few years ago looking for someone and one of the patrons, annoyed at the disturbance to his pint, battered the guy with the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

Noctors, without a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Porklife wrote: »
    Veerrryyyy rough. Full of junkies who I reckon they serve cos they'd be scared not too. Men fighting in the doorway and actually smoking inside!!! You've to ring a bell to get into the off licence and you'd be lucky to make it out alive! Absolute kip!

I was there one night.

I sat at bar in right hand room.

Space beside me, and then a man in the next seat.

My friend arrived later and sat in the empty seat between me and the man.

The man then frisked my friend. He patted him up and down.

He told us that he is related to both the Hutchs and the Kinahans.

He was familiar with Blacklion prison.

He told us about late-night and early-morning drinking dens in Dublin.

I would return to that pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

A buddy used drink in Finches. He said that on the way in the security would tap you down checking for knives etc. If you didn't have anything they would supply you!
    Same guy would never produce a €20- or €50- there, as there would be too many pan-handlers looking for a free pint if they felt he was flush.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Finches, Neilstown
    Jobstown House
    The Black Forge, Crumlin

Not to be pedantic but the Forge is Walkinstown. Also, it's not rough as such, it's just loud and uncomfortable. It's the kind of place you go to when you're young and dumb but then grow up and realise that not being able to hear yourself is not a fun night - although in saying that one of my close friend's parents still regularly drink there.

I went out with a Clondalkin (Greenfort iirc) girl for a while in my youth. She wouldn't bring me to Finches because she thought I was a bit too posh for it - I'm born and raised a minute around the corner from the Black Forge

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The Oasis

Is it called The Cabra House now? I haven't been in there in over 20 years but it was rough then and from what I can tell hasn't changed much over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Noctors is gone, I think. It’s been closed every time I’ve passed recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Is this on Sarsfield road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

"She wouldn't bring me to Finches because she thought I was a bit too posh for it"....

She may not have brought you to Finches for other reasons....he he ....

(gets coat...)

theteal wrote: »
    Not to be pedantic but the Forge is Walkinstown.

I'd be a little more pedantic and call it drimnagh :)

It's in the Bermuda triangle of all three really.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

I lived in Dublin years ago and I was told that the Swiss Cottage in Santry was a rough pub. I see its closed now but was it bad in its day?

Moghead wrote: »
    I lived in Dublin years ago and I was told that the Swiss Cottage in Santry was a rough pub. I see its closed now but was it bad in its day?

It wasn't great. But far from being one of the rougher ones even in the area. The Black Sheep, The Towers & The Penthouse were all worse.

When they closed down one by one, the Swiss did "inherit" a lot of different elements of scum but it wasn't too bad.

• Advertisement

I'd be a little more pedantic and call it drimnagh :)

It's in the Bermuda triangle of all three really.

That geographical line can be a bit of an anomaly but that side stretching up as far as St Mary's (and possibly the bingo junction) is Walkinstown. The strangeness is further compounded by the fact that Drimnagh Castle is actually addressed as Walkinstown too.

Anyway, if you're in the area OP, just go to the Halfway

greenpilot wrote: »
    "She wouldn't bring me to Finches because she thought I was a bit too posh for it"....

She may not have brought you to Finches for other reasons....he he ....

(gets coat...)

yup, I did mention that, the uncomfortable laughter in response was a little strange I will admit. . . . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

The patriots in Kilmainham, an english colleague was staying in the hilton and i had to go rescue him from the pub.............

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

miamee wrote: »
    Is it called The Cabra House now? I haven't been in there in over 20 years but it was rough then and from what I can tell hasn't changed much over time.

its suppose to be for sale, very few go into it now

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Noctors is gone, I think. It’s been closed every time I’ve passed recently.

Yeah it is. A lot of the clientele have started drinking in Lagoona in the IFSC, which results in a very strange mix on a Friday afternoon/evening of corporate after-work drinkers, and really rough folk.
    eusap wrote: »
    The patriots in Kilmainham, an english colleague was staying in the hilton and i had to go rescue him from the pub.............

Definitely wouldn't class the Patriots as rough. It's a mix of locals and tourists, and they do really decent grub from the Italian restaurant upstairs (you can eat it in the pub if you want).

Although the first time I was in there they played the national anthem at the end and everyone stood up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Does anyone remember the The Fleet on Fleet St, now part of Dolyes. Its gone about ten years. But my God, you got some class of character in that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

eusap wrote: »

The Patriots is absolutely fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Think that’s a different pub up the road you’re thinking of - Graingers?

Possibly, I just moved to the area and there are quite a few dodgy pubs knocking around!!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

If I would take me mate on a Bad Pubs of Dublin tour, I'd choose the following ones. Mind you I have only been living here for 2 years, so my experience is a bit limited.

- Kiltipper Inn, Kiltipper Tallaght. It's actually not too bad of a pub I like it but there's some rough people with tracksuits there. Also being extremely far out of town makes it quite unique to visit, most dubliners would never come here if they werent from the area.
    - Swiss Cottage has sadly closed but it was quite a rough pub.
    - Lloyds on Amiens street near conolly station
    - Molloy's Pub near conolly station
    - Berkeley Inn on Berkeley Street (I even suffered discrimination there)
    - Donaghmede Inn, better known locally as the Donaghmede Bin. It is truly the worst pub in Dublin I'd say. Absolutely no atmosphere, just a grey block of concrete in a suburban shopping mall. Fights or people tampering with the ATM are not uncommon.
    - Dicey's, not really a pub but yeah...
    - River Bar. I wouldnt even dare to enter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

machaseh wrote: »
    If I would take me mate on a Bad Pubs of Dublin tour, I'd choose the following ones. Mind you I have only been living here for 2 years, so my experience is a bit limited.

- Kiltipper Inn, Kiltipper Tallaght. It's actually not too bad of a pub I like it but there's some rough people with tracksuits there. Also being extremely far out of town makes it quite unique to visit, most dubliners would never come here if they werent from the area.
    - Swiss Cottage has sadly closed but it was quite a rough pub.
    - Lloyds on Amiens street near conolly station
    - Molloy's Pub near conolly station
    - Berkeley Inn on Berkeley Street (I even suffered discrimination there)
    - Donaghmede Inn, better known locally as the Donaghmede Bin. It is truly the worst pub in Dublin I'd say. Absolutely no atmosphere, just a grey block of concrete in a suburban shopping mall. Fights or people tampering with the ATM are not uncommon.
    - Dicey's, not really a pub but yeah...
    - River Bar. I wouldnt even dare to enter.

Excellent. Very interested in the ones near Connolly

Advertisement