Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the roughest pub in Dublin city?

Options
  • 15-10-2019 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

Morbid curiosity has me wanting to go to a dive of a place

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

I'd day any of the local spots in Cabra or Finglas and if you don't find what you're looking for u could always venture out to the Jobstown Inn. Good luck to ya

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Didn't some fella get a smack in a pub in Drimnagh too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Finch's in Ronanstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Noctors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Nope, the jetfoil and noctors were the worst 30 years ago but finch's is way ahead of that now. Mind you, the Cardiffsbridge inn and the Barry House wouldn't be far behind it.

• Advertisement

Dublin GAA Central Parnell Street.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gone for about three years, pub has reopened, closed and reopened again as two completely different pubs in the interim. Its not even vaguely rough now.

The Barry House mentioned above closed down about eight years ago; its open now as the Abbey Tavern and is apparently not as bad as it once was. I'm going off second hand info there but I suspect the person who mentioned it was going off ancient info!

The Oasis

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Which one did you get thrown out of ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

It gone a few years but the Museum Rest just of Queen St was pretty nasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Esse85 wrote: »
    Didn't some fella get a smack in a pub in Drimnagh too?

Think that was the Marble Arch. Conor McGregor hit some auld fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

This was a great old thread, hasn't been updated in a year.

And now dumb dumb will add the link:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2055647278

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

That's closed; And anyway it was a lot rougher in its previous incarnation The Blue Lion. When I was a stupid young fella just up to Dublin from the country I ventured in their one afternoon while doing door to door sales in businesses on Parnell street. Got tackled from behind, pinned down, and they robbed my bag. The lads play acted that they were only messing etc. I stupidly spent a while arguing with them for my stuff back. In hindsight I was lucky they didn't give me a hiding. :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

How would the Lark Inn on Meath street rank on the "rough" scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Trying to think of Dublin pubs where murder or attempted murder has taken place.
    Ballybough House, someone shot and killed in there as part of the Kinahan Hutch feud
    Deputy Mayor in Charlestown, Finglas, iirc someone went in there with a samarui sword and chopped off a mans hand
    Cabra House- some one shot dead in there in 2013 but I think it has had more than one shooting?

Must be a few more pubs with murders or attempts. Regency Hotel too of course.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Trying to think of Dublin pubs where murder or attempted murder has taken place.
    Ballybough House, someone shot and killed in there as part of the Kinahan Hutch feud
    Deputy Mayor in Charlestown, Finglas, iirc someone went in there with a samarui sword and chopped off a mans hand
    Cabra House- some one shot dead in there in 2013 but I think it has had more than one shooting?

Must be a few more pubs with murders or attempts. Regency Hotel too of course.

https://dyingforapint.blogspot.com/

Knock yourself out. Or maybe don't, if you do it too hard it could be considered a pub-related killing :pac:

petros1980 wrote: »
    That's closed; And anyway it was a lot rougher in its previous incarnation The Blue Lion. When I was a stupid young fella just up to Dublin from the country I ventured in their one afternoon while doing door to door sales in businesses on Parnell street. Got tackled from behind, pinned down, and they robbed my bag. The lads play acted that they were only messing etc. I stupidly spent a while arguing with them for my stuff back. In hindsight I was lucky they didn't give me a hiding. :o:o:o

Blue Lion was a different pub. That Dublin Supporters Club once was probably The Thornbush in that era.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Geuze wrote: »

Veerrryyyy rough. Full of junkies who I reckon they serve cos they'd be scared not too. Men fighting in the doorway and actually smoking inside!!! You've to ring a bell to get into the off licence and you'd be lucky to make it out alive! Absolute kip!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Geuze wrote: »

Its been done up, looks nice now, massive windows on the front. Same as the lamplighter just down the road.

The pub where luckys is now, looked rough before, Cant mind the name of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

retalivity wrote: »
    Its been done up, looks nice now, massive windows on the front. Same as the lamplighter just down the road.

The Lark Inn is still an absolute kip!! The place is full of scumbags!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

The Horseshoe Bor in the Shelbourne after Ahreland lose in the rugbah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

ShyMets wrote: »
    It gone a few years but the Museum Rest just of Queen St was pretty nasty

Was never in it but it looked like quite a joint. Could never figure out why they called it the Museum Rest, it's a good stretch from the Collins Museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

retalivity wrote: »

Both pubs were told they needed windows in by Kevin St or their bar licenses were not being renewed or something to that effect.

Luckys used to be Bohans. Lad who used to run the bar in Tolka Park was involved with Bohans before or after Tolka iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

Porklife wrote: »
    Veerrryyyy rough. Full of junkies who I reckon they serve cos they'd be scared not too. Men fighting in the doorway and actually smoking inside!!! You've to ring a bell to get into the off licence and you'd be lucky to make it out alive! Absolute kip!

:confused::confused::confused: Is the below the same pub :pac::pac::pac:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=ZzinXYjXMITWao-ZsIgN&q=lark+inn+meath+street+dublin&oq=lark+inn+meath+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0j0i22i30.480.4283..6107...0.0..0.76.799.15......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i131j0i22i10i30.X3gvXT3ruN8#lrd=0x48670c24fda048cb:0x4b59cc3194d8b22,1,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Morriseys on Cork street is as rough as a badgers arse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

The early house in the Chancery, I always sat closest to the door for a quick escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

tdf7187 wrote: »
    The Horseshoe Bor in the Shelbourne after Ahreland lose in the rugbah.

In fairness if you're looking for a collection of gangsters and chancers in fancy suits it fits the bill every day of the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

L1011 wrote: »
    Blue Lion was a different pub. That Dublin Supporters Club once was probably The Thornbush in that era.

The thornbush was a great pub in its day. Don't remember it being rough. I do remember a fella getting shot in the blue Lion though. It was rough alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Porklife wrote: »

Think that’s a different pub up the road you’re thinking of - Graingers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

The early house in the Chancery, I always sat closest to the door for a quick escape.

Ahhh I have a soft spot for the Chancery. Around 9/10am is an amazing anthropology opportunity. On weekends though so you get a good mix!

Advertisement