Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Presidential Election 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It looks like the article is a counter view to one William Hague wrote a few days ago in favour of Joe Biden

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/08/24/uks-national-interest-joe-biden-wins-presidential-race/

Perhaps Murray is playing the devil's advocate a bit but none the less he raises some good points.

Murray is a right wing nutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,364 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I hope the Biden and Harris ticket don’t play defence due to the polls and trump just being a enforced error of a president. They need to apply the pressure and push back against his ramblings. You’d hope any campaign manager worth their salt would learn from 2016 that it’s not over until you cross the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I didn't see much difference in the Democrat one.

The flag thing is an American culture thing.

America is similar to North Korea in many ways, mixed with religious fundamentalists.

Have you ever anything to add?

You say the same things every week and they're not the most earth shattering of statements, even if they're usually wrong. We geddit.

Can you bulk up your statements though so we can get some insight into your own thoughts?

I mean, you constantly rail at the futility of everything, how you don't really care about American politics, how the Dems and the GOP are all the same and how Americans don't care once they can [insert Americana trope].

It just seems trite and pointless though, when you're trying to always appear aloof and the smartest guy in the room. It's not working.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Below standard posts and responses deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Off topic posts have been removed. Leave the moderating to the mods please. The forum rules are laid out in the charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,849 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Water John wrote: »

Trump campaign meddling with Iowa absentee ballot requests. The #IMPOTUS team knows they need Iowa, they'll cheat. https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/514271-judge-grants-trump-campaigns-request-to-block-thousands-of-iowa-absentee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Water John wrote:
    Art Cullen who lives in Iowa seems to believe the tide has turned against Trump there:

I'm not convinced he ll win this one, but I still think it could be close enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,569 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Why would it? This is all on the GOPs watch. The Democrats aren't supporting violence but the people that can do something about it, namely the orange moron and his cronies in the white house are just fanning the flames and making things worse.

They have consistently come out against the police before the full details of incidents have been made clear. See Harris's comments about Blake for the most recent example. That shows they are more interested in taking advantage of the zeitgeist of outrage than they are for due process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Igotadose wrote: »
    Trump campaign meddling with Iowa absentee ballot requests. The #IMPOTUS team knows they need Iowa, they'll cheat. https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/514271-judge-grants-trump-campaigns-request-to-block-thousands-of-iowa-absentee

The officials left themselves open to be challenged by pre- completing so much personal details on the forms. Stupid to leave themselves open to a successful legal challenge.

The US will hit 6M covid cases tomorrow. That's what will dominate the news and the lives of people. Not those shouting at the RNC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,635 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The US will hit 6M covid cases tomorrow. That's what will dominate the news and the lives of people. Not those shouting at the RNC.

If I was Biden i would release a video of this horrible moment in USA history tomorrow outlining how many cases and more than 182k deaths

Lay it at Trumps feet

I didn't see much difference in the Democrat one.

Sure they're both the same.

trump-cpac-2020.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The man is abhorrent. Its all about draining the office for as much money while he can.

Here's an insight into what "being president" is all about.

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1299795007923261442?s=09

Can't wait for someone to come along and say "ah sure Joe would do the exact same"

It's a grift, a shakedown. Always had been...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Pro trump demonstrator killed last night in Portland. The media hasn't followed Portland as closely the last couple of weeks but are sure to be back in the spotlight again now. The far right had been showing up and counter protesting so something was inevitable to blow up, it's ironic that all these things Trump is trying to scare people about in Bidens American are happening daily in Trump's America, just incredible.

I don't condone the killing, from what I read so far there was shots fired during a clash as a caravan of trump protestors traveled through a demonstration. The country cannot take another 4 years of this division and hate.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Pro trump demonstrator killed last night in Portland. The media hasn't followed Portland as closely the last couple of weeks but are sure to be back in the spotlight again now. The far right had been showing up and counter protesting so something was inevitable to blow up, it's ironic that all these things Trump is trying to scare people about in Bidens American are happening daily in Trump's America, just incredible.

I don't condone the killing, from what I read so far there was shots fired during a clash as a caravan of trump protestors traveled through a demonstration. The country cannot take another 4 years of this division and hate.

I was talking to my mate earlier this morning who lives a couple of blocks away from where it happened. Organised pro-trump cavalcade, driving through town, Pepper spraying and paint balling anyone that came near them. She's now making plans to move here as she can't take the racial abuse she gets on a daily basis, from the patients that she's treating, who believe that she (who is second generation American Korean) brought the virus over herself.

It seems Milwuakee is the most segregated city in the US. that gives you a, them and us.
    Yes, the Dems need to focus on Covid and health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

So unbelievably out of touch. Antifa groups have been given free reign for 3 years by Democrat Mayor Ted Wheeler to cause havoc in Portland. The last 3 months there have been an absolute joke. Wheeler (and other elected officials) have helped facilitate it all. The theme is common of course: the areas with the most unrest are Democrat run with weak mayors who are afraid to confront the mob. When local leadership abandons the citizens, a point is reached where citizens feel they have no choice but to take matters into their own hands. This is what happened in Portland yesterday. Entirely predictable. But also entirely avoidable. Democrat mayors have enabled the mayhem and declined repeated offers of federal assistance from Trump. Decent law abiding citizens have looked on in horror as mobs have intimidated, harassed, beaten, looted, destroyed and burned. And then the ever cognitively dissonant will try to blame Trump. Ostrich parasitic syndrome. Deny what's before your very own eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

manual_man wrote: »
    So unbelievably out of touch. Antifa groups have been given free reign for 3 years by Democrat Mayor Ted Wheeler to cause havoc in Portland. The last 3 months there have been an absolute joke. Wheeler (and other elected officials) have helped facilitate it all. The theme is common of course: the areas with the most unrest are Democrat run with weak mayors who are afraid to confront the mob. When local leadership abandons the citizens, a point is reached where citizens feel they have no choice but to take matters into their own hands. This is what happened in Portland yesterday. Entirely predictable. But also entirely avoidable. Democrat mayors have enabled the mayhem and declined repeated offers of federal assistance from Trump. Decent law abiding citizens have looked on in horror as mobs have intimidated, harassed, beaten, looted, destroyed and burned. And then the ever cognitively dissonant will try to blame Trump. Ostrich parasitic syndrome. Deny what's before your very own eyes.

The irony of a Trump supporter coming out with this.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

When local leadership abandons the citizens, a point is reached where citizens feel they have no choice but to take matters into their own hands. This is what happened in Portland yesterday.

So predictable to see Trumpists parroting Tucker Carlson. Not an original thought in their heads, just endlessly repeating Fox News talking points. Meanwhile Trumpists are trying to kill protesters in Portland by running them over as police watch on (note the green man on the crosswalk lights).

• Advertisement

Trying to accost people in their vehicles has been a common theme of these unhinged lunatics. Regularly instigating conflict and then trying to play victim if they get hurt. Pathetic.

Trying to accost people in their vehicles has been a common theme of these unhinged lunatics. Regularly instigating conflict and then trying to play victim if they get hurt. Pathetic.

Can you show evidence of them being accosted "in their vehicles"? What I can see are trucks ramming through people on a street where the pedestrian light is GREEN. Embarrassing for you to pretend you can't see that. Does Trump mean that much to you that your rather deny reality than accept it? I expect you to reply with another mindless repetition of a Fox News talking point.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Can you show evidence of them being accosted "in their vehicles"? What I can see are trucks ramming through people on a street where the pedestrian light is GREEN. Embarrassing for you to pretend you can't see that. Does Trump mean that much to you that your rather deny reality than accept it? I expect you to reply with another mindless repetition of a Fox News talking point.
    We're looking at the same video. One of the vehicles was accosted by a number of people BEFORE the pedestrian crossing was reached. No person in their right mind is stopping in that situation.

We're looking at the same video. One of the vehicles was accosted by a number of people BEFORE the pedestrian crossing was reached. No person in their right mind is stopping in that situation.

I'd take my own eyewitness account from my friend who lives two blocks away, your interpretation of that video is grossly misinformed

The vehicles were clearly driving through the intersection having broken a red light spraying mace and shooting paintball rounds. Try again, if you need help click here: www.foxnews.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

I fervently hope Trump doesn't win. He is a fool and is dangerous but I fear the current riots are going to help him. Moderates who were leaning to Dems will switch if they feel threatened.

crossman47 wrote: »
    I fervently hope Trump doesn't win. He is a fool and is dangerous but I fear the current riots are going to help him. Moderates who were leaning to Dems will switch if they feel threatened.

But this is happening under Trump!! Switching to Trump is essentially saying: yes I want 4 more years of this.

But this is happening under Trump!! Switching to Trump is essentially saying: yes I want 4 more years of this.
    It's happening in Democrat controlled areas where elected officials are refusing to enforce the law and are instead giving free reign to (mostly) far left agitators to cause destruction. I know personal responsibility is a concept many struggle to understand. Easier just to blame everything on Trump, right? The restoration of order is dependant not only on Trump being re-elected, but equally as important are mayorships and governorships and other important positions on a local level. Democrats have facilitated the mayhem. So it's up to the citizenry to vote them out.

It's happening in Democrat controlled areas where elected officials are refusing to enforce the law and are instead giving free reign to (mostly) far left agitators to cause destruction. I know personal responsibility is a concept many struggle to understand. Easier just to blame everything on Trump, right? The restoration of order is dependant not only on Trump being re-elected, but equally as important are mayorships and governorships and other important positions on a local level. Democrats have facilitated the mayhem. So it's up to the citizenry to vote them out.

The right to protest is constitutionally secure, the Democratic officials are allowing their citizens to exercise their constitutional rights

So, any protesting is owned by the local Mayors and Governers, but Law and Order is owned by Trump. That sounds very like the Covid 19 being the responsibility of Governers not Trump.

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    The right to protest is constitutionally secure, the Democratic officials are allowing their citizens to exercise their constitutional rights
    One should never conflate peaceful protest with rioting, looting, arson, intimidation, assault, destruction of property. I support peaceful protesting 100%. The rest? 0%. And there has been far too much of the rest.

So, any protesting is owned by the local Mayors and Governers, but Law and Order is owned by Trump. That sounds very like the Covid 19 being the responsibility of Governers not Trump.

Like Trump always says, it's someone else's problem. Unless it's a win, then of course he'll take credit for it

One should never conflate peaceful protest with rioting, looting, arson, intimidation, assault, destruction of property. I support peaceful protesting 100%. The rest? 0%. And there has been far too much of the rest.

Yet you already have conflated the two

And there we have it another Fox News talking point like clockwork. So basically the narrative is, this is nothing to do with Trump. So by that logic it doesn't really matter who is president. Surely the same thing would happen under Biden as it is actually happening under Trump. Which is weird because at the RNC the republicans were constantly banging on that only Trump could fix things and it would get worse under Biden.

So which is it? This is nothing to do with Trump and it's all the fault of local Dems or Trump is the man to fix it (which is demonstrably false as he's been unable to do so to date).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Unfortunately Trump nor many of his supporters seem to agree and also reject peaceful protest, as seen in their responses to Colin Kaepernick and NBA protests, as well as their refusal to condemn their president for gassing peaceful protesters and the clergy for a photo op a few weeks ago. An incident I assume you will agree was completely disgusting to see from a president.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭briany

Most people commenting on a protest are not actually at the protest but viewing it through a lens and that lens can control how they see it. If you're looking at it through a news channel or Twitter bubble, you'll probably get a bias. Generally, people doing violence is more dramatic and therefore more interesting as it triggers the human 'danger' response. So, generally, even if those doing violence are only a small proportion of the overall protestors, they'll be represented as significantly larger.

That said, it cannot be said that in history there's been no such thing as a violent protest which was legitimate or necessary, or at least generally agreed to be so. Violent uprisings are often a part of a nation's story and a celebrated event even though they contain the things which also invite criticism in modern times like breach of peace, loss of life, injury, destruction of property etc. So a protest movement, in my view, cannot be instantly delegitimised by violent actors but instead it needs to be explained why their reasons for violence are illegitimate, or cynical and what effective peaceful alternatives exist to salve their stated grievances and which they have not yet exhausted.

Nope. Law and Order is primarily owned by Mayors. In a case where they're overwhelmed, they can (and should) call on federal help. As for pandemic preparedness, yes that does primarily lie at the State level. The CDC and other government groups can advise. But it's up to State leadership to take actual steps. States rights = States responsibilities. Some States were better prepared than others - though most were ill prepared. Then again most countries (ours included) were equally ill prepared! The most (disastrously) consequential decisions made in The States were the executive orders (carried out exclusively by Democrat governors) which mandated infected patients back into nursing homes. It amounts to senicide, and it's right that the Department of Justice has begun to look into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

duploelabs wrote: »

They are but it could be at Biden's expense. Trump will play the law and order card and will get some swing voters as a result. They are looking at words, not actions.

And there we have it another Fox News talking point like clockwork. So basically the narrative is, this is nothing to do with Trump. So by that logic it doesn't really matter who is president. Surely the same thing would happen under Biden as it is actually happening under Trump. Which is weird because at the RNC the republicans were constantly banging on that only Trump could fix things and it would get worse under Biden.

So which is it? This is nothing to do with Trump and it's all the fault of local Dems or Trump is the man to fix it (which is demonstrably false as he's been unable to do so to date).

You're being deliberately disingenuous. The mayhem is occuring in Democrat run States, almost exclusively at the hands of far left agitators. It is local leadership's responsibility to control it. And if they can't, then to request federal assistance (which Trump has offered from the start). So, like I said, it is crucially important to also elect mayors and other local officials who are willing to maintain law and order (including accepting federal assistance if necessary). Each person rioting, assaulting, burning, destroying - is responsible for their own actions (a message that has sorely been lacking among Democrat leadership). Why on earth would anyone want to elect a person for president who's party has effectively enabled all the chaos and destruction? What's the message? Vote for us and we'll remove our street thugs? Doesn't sound like a sound election strategy to me. The Republican Party, while far from perfect, at least seems willing to confront the violent anarchists and scumbags wreaking havoc across the nation.

• Advertisement

Very hard to try and have reasonable discussion in here when Tucker Carlson invective is being spouted like snuff at a wake...

There's a narrow and very racist white nationalist spin being put on events by one poster that's better ignored than dignified by responding to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Very hard to try and have reasonable discussion in here when Tucker Carlson invective is being spouted like snuff at a wake...

There's a narrow and very racist white nationalist spin being put on events by one poster that's better ignored than dignified by responding to it.

I don't reply when I see that stuff being trotted out. We need original ideas here, I don't read stuff anywhere else and then post it here I post my own opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

MadYaker wrote: »
    I don't reply when I see that stuff being trotted out. We need original ideas here, I don't read stuff anywhere else and then post it here I post my own opinions.

Wish the Trump zealots would hold to the same standards instead of copy/pasting from websites and trying to pass it off as their own work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

You're being deliberately disingenuous. The mayhem is occuring in Democrat run States, almost exclusively at the hands of far left agitators. It is local leadership's responsibility to control it. And if they can't, then to request federal assistance (which Trump has offered from the start). So, like I said, it is crucially important to also elect mayors and other local officials who are willing to maintain law and order (including accepting federal assistance if necessary). Each person rioting, assaulting, burning, destroying - is responsible for their own actions (a message that has sorely been lacking among Democrat leadership). Why on earth would anyone want to elect a person for president who's party has effectively enabled all the chaos and destruction? What's the message? Vote for us and we'll remove our street thugs? Doesn't sound like a sound election strategy to me.

Buck stops with the president. If this was protests under a Democrat president let me guess who you, right wing media and youtube talking heads would be blaming...

Show me where Democrat leadership have enabled violence! On the flipside Trump has continually enabled violence
    The Republican Party, while far from perfect, at least seems willing to confront the violent anarchists and scumbags wreaking havoc across the nation.

Yes like Charlottesville or the dozens of mass shootings last four years..

Republicans have stood back and done nothing and in Trumps case praised nazis that murdered civilians!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The FiveThirtyEight model has tightened again. I’m pretty much convinced Trump is going to win now. Time to settle in for another 4 years of stupidity.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Brian? wrote: »
    The FiveThirtyEight model has tightened again. I’m pretty much convinced Trump is going to win now. Time to settle in for another 4 years of stupidity.

I think its worth waiting until Labor Day in a weeks time to see if bounce is legitimate and Trump maintains his climb. Every election, the party nominee would get a bounce post convention. Nate Silver, who owns FiveThirtyEight, is skeptical that Trump has turned a corner. Trump actually got a bigger bounce in the polls in 2016 post convention.

Its hard to know if it could be down to the rioting/looting. Contrary to popular opinion, its not a widely held view by pollsters either that the rioting and looting in Oregon/Minnesota benefits Trump. At the end of the day, Trump polls poorly on race relations, this civil unrest is occurring under his watch and Biden increased his lead back in the early summer when the George Floyd protests started.

I guess we will know more in the coming days, and its the swing state polls that really count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Brian? wrote: »

It's still nearly 70-30.

I'd say that both your estimations of Trump's chances of winning, and your gauging of how bad it'll be are both wrong.

If he wins a 2nd term, it won't be 4 years of stupidity. It won't be less criminal, less violent, less destructive to the status of the Western world than the previous four. Stupidity is the least of our worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Gbear wrote: »
    It's still nearly 70-30.

I'd say that both your estimations of Trump's chances of winning, and your gauging of how bad it'll be are both wrong.

If he wins a 2nd term, it won't be 4 years of stupidity. It won't be less criminal, less violent, less destructive to the status of the Western world than the previous four. Stupidity is the least of our worries.

Stupidity is indeed the least of our worries. Though it's probably too late anyway, any hope of defeating climate change hinges on Trump losing.

letowski wrote: »
    I think its worth waiting until Labor Day in a weeks time to see if bounce is legitimate and Trump maintains his climb. Every election, the party nominee would get a bounce post convention. Nate Silver, who owns FiveThirtyEight, is skeptical that Trump has turned a corner. Trump actually got a bigger bounce in the polls in 2016 post convention.

Its hard to know if it could be down to the rioting/looting. Contrary to popular opinion, its not a widely held view by pollsters either that the rioting and looting in Oregon/Minnesota benefits Trump. At the end of the day, Trump polls poorly on race relations, this civil unrest is occurring under his watch and Biden increased his lead back in the early summer when the George Floyd protests started.

I guess we will know more in the coming days, and its the swing state polls that really count.

There's an old saying that the real electioneering doesn't start until after Labor Day. I'd be largely in agreement that we'll see lots of see-sawing between now and Nov 3.

In the meantime, Biden needs to differentiate between legitimate protestors and the element that's hanging on to the Black Lives Matter movement and causing chaos. It's time for calming of the waters in the face of Trump"s inflammatory rhetoric and actions. And on that score, WTF is he doing by planning a trip to Kenoshe on Tuesday?? Crazy pot stirring!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    There's an old saying that the real electioneering doesn't start until after Labor Day. I'd be largely in agreement that we'll see lots of see-sawing between now and Nov 3.

In the meantime, Biden needs to differentiate between legitimate protestors and the element that's hanging on to the Black Lives Matter movement and causing chaos. It's time for calming of the waters in the face of Trump"s inflammatory rhetoric and actions. And on that score, WTF is he doing by planning a trip to Kenoshe on Tuesday?? Crazy pot stirring!!

Biden has to tread very lightly for sure. But I actually think this weeks events will largely come to pass in 8 weeks time as the protests die down once again. Covid, and by extension the economy will be the only thing on most American's minds on November the 3rd. For example, the Q3 GDP Update on the 29th of October will be a huge day. Also I imagine the ironic (and totally legit) discovery of a vaccine in late October could help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The argument that the protests are all Democrats fault because they've got democrat led mayors is really disingenuous really as its more of a consequence of demographics.

It pretty much holds true that almost every urban/city in the US is predominantly democratic, with rural areas more heavily republican.

So blaming the mayors because of their demographics just rings like a bit of a false narrative.

There have been cops shooting black people in US cities for a long time, and those cities have been predominantly Democrat for a long time too, but we haven't had the violence we're seeing today.

One thing is different today though, and that's who the president is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement