Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in TV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oh No! It was Selwyn Froggitt :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Steven Bochco has passed away aged 74 from Leukemia. Anyone who grew up with Hill Street Blues, NYPD Blue, LA Law, Murder One and Doogie Howser MD will know the name... RIP.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/01/tv-shows/steven-bochco-obit/index.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Generally a good sign when Bocho's name appeared on the credits. RIP.

Hill Street Blues is one of those series which must be showing somewhere but not on FTA telly. I'll guess Universal channel has the rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hill Street Blues was as groundbreaking as you get without we wouldn't have HLOTS, The Wire,The Sopranos etc.

• Advertisement

Neil Shand has died at 84

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-humber-43775357

One of the most prolific gag writers of his age - up there with Barry Cryer, worked esp closely with David Frost and Spike Milligan on his Q/Lot of it About series .

Any excuse for Irish Noughts and Crosses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Harry Anderson has died - best known as Judge Harry Stone in Night Court, I also know him from occasionally popping up in Cheers as Harry "The Hat" Gittes, and he was also in the original TV adaptaion of It by Stephen King. He was also a magician, and (mostly) retired from TV in 2002.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Just read in the Guardian that Dale Winton has just died, aged 62!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

zorro2566 wrote: »

link? cant see it on their front page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

link? cant see it on their front page.

rte.ie have it on front page

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

zorro2566 wrote: »

Ah no, he always seemed like a popular man and an excellent light entertainment presenter.

I liked his cameos in Trainspotting and in Sleeper's Inbetweener video too.

That's a bit of a shock, never watched supermarket sweep obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

always liked watching hole in the wall. very silly fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Skid X wrote: »
    Ah no, he always seemed like a popular man and an excellent light entertainment presenter.

I liked his cameos in Trainspotting and in Sleeper's Inbetweener video too.

He briefly appeared in the original radio version of Lee & Herring's Fist of Fun too. Never seemed to take himself too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sad to hear about Dale Winton. I remember Supermarket Sweep on TV when I was younger and used to watch that BBC lottery show In It To Win It which he presented. Poor Dale had to stand there and listen to some really stupid answers. Hole In The Wall was a bit of fun as well. As has been said he didn't take himself too seriously.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I knew Dale hadn't been in the best of health for the last few years - but I'm still shocked and saddened to hear of his departure. :(:(:(

Many fond memories of watching the 'Sweep when away from school. He was great on In It to Win It, too - as well as late '90s BBC dating quiz The Other Half:

And for better or worse, one shouldn't forget this music video... :o:D

RIP, Dale. Next time we're at the checkout and we hear the beep (bip-bip!), we'll think of the fun you provided.

He was one of the good ones, always entertaining. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,654 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Two hours of ‘Supermarket Sweep’ starting right now on Challenge.

RIP Dale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I used to love Dale Winton presenting Supermarket Sweep. It's quite a shock to hear that he died so young. I heard that his last TV appearance was for Florida Fly Drive on Channel 5. I watched a few clips of it on the news earlier and he looked very unwell on it. Challenge TV is showing more of Supermarket Sweep from 12pm on Saturday to pay tribute to him. R.I.P Dale. He was a gent as a presenter. One of the good guys. Condolences to his family & friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,045 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

A slightly obscure one, but the Australian actress Cathy Godbold has died, aged just 43. Anyone who regularly watched Home and Away in the early '90s might remember her as Meg Bowman, who died from leukaemia in Blake's arms on the beach.

I remember her. It was back when I watched Home and Away. That's so sad. 43 is far too young. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ah man I remember that scene as well way to young at 43.

Belinda Emmett who would have been on the show around the same time died very young as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Lois aka Margot Kidder has passed :(

450790.jpeg

Joseph Campanella has died aged 93 RIP.

A character actor whose career spanned 60 years including everything from Mannix to The Practice.

MV5BMjExNDEzNjMyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTkyNzI1NTM@._V1_SY150_CR1,0,100,150_AL_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Cornelia Frances who played Morag in Home and Away has died aged 77. She was also in a couple of my mum's favourite Aussie dross soaps, Young Doctors and Sons and Daughters.

morag-bellingham.jpg

RIP

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭brian_t

Glynn Edwards died 23 May.

He played Dave, the barman of the Winchester Club in Minder.

rexfeatures_826211cw.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

"Allo Arfur" :p

Sad to see the long suffering barman that is Dave who could have run a tiling company with all the 'slates' Arfur gave him ;)

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jun/06/glynn-edwards-obituary

2104.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&

Advertisement