Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superleague 2010 - The Banter Thread

Options
  • 02-02-2010 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Thought I would start a thread where we can discuss general, non-specific news and gossip related to the greatest game.

I get the impression that Brian Carney is going to be a regular analyst/presenter on Sky Sports. This I feel would be a big boost for the game in Ireland, I also think he will be a good addition to the presenting team. What do others think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Love Carney as a commentator. I've seen him on a number of different programs and he always comes across a s a knowledgeable pundit. I've been particularly impressed with some of his tactical analysis and he's got an easy convivial style which always helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

This is Brian's view on the season ahead, published in last weeks Sky Sports Sportzine.

“Well I have decided against commenting on Warrington because everyone knows we are going to win! Leeds are going to be the team to beat though. They’ve added a great forward in Greg Eastwood and now have great strike power on their right with Brett Delaney. Throw in a fit again best-in-the-competition hooker, Danny Buderus, and you have a formidable team.

Winner: It’s hard to back anyone but the Rhinos again!

Play-offs: Bradford, Castleford, Huddersfield, Hull FC, Leeds, St Helens, Warrington, Wigan. (He's certainly got this one wrong;))

Man of Steel: Danny Buderus

Now I know why you are a fan of his Toome:D

WakeyTyke wrote: »

Now I know why you are a fan of his Toome:D

Ahem, yes, think we can all agree he's a fine judge of the game...;)

Does anyone else feel that the 1 match bans for Louis McCarthy-Scarsbrook and Richard Moore were a bit harsh?

Whilst not condoning fighting on the pitch, these flash-point incidents occur, it's part-and-parcel of contact sport.

In this incident LMS (attempted) to head-butt Moore who threw one punch:eek:. There was no resulting mass brawl, no injuries.

Are we to assume that this is a new, zero-tolerance attitude to these incidents from referees or was Ian Smith being his usual over-zealous self and the RFL disciplinary committee are making an early season example of these two players?

In this incident LMS (attempted) to head-butt Moore who threw one punch:eek:. There was no resulting mass brawl, no injuries.

Are we to assume that this is a new, zero-tolerance attitude to these incidents from referees or was Ian Smith being his usual over-zealous self and the RFL disciplinary committee are making an early season example of these two players?

Saw the incident on Boots'n'All and thought the double red was a little harsh, but you could argue for it I guess. THe ugliest aspect of it for me was the LMS attempted glasgow kiss...guess it was something and nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Does anyone else feel that the 1 match bans for Louis McCarthy-Scarsbrook and Richard Moore were a bit harsh?

Whilst not condoning fighting on the pitch, these flash-point incidents occur, it's part-and-parcel of contact sport.

Ridiculous really. Louie was a bit of a muppet, but as you say Wakey, one attempted head butt and a single punch was the whole incident in a nutshell. Red card is probably understandable from an officious Ref, fair enough,move one. But a ban? WAY OTT. And one less player for Quins for a week!

Going to be a new time keeping system introduced across the board this season:

http://www.rugbyleague.com/rugby-league-news/new-time-keeping-system-for-super.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Big game tonight

Cmon Bradford

Anyone reckon somewhere in Dublin will show this for me :rolleyes:

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Big game tonight

Cmon Bradford

Anyone reckon somewhere in Dublin will show this for me :rolleyes:

You'll be lucky...be interested to hear how you get on though....

toomevara wrote: »
    You'll be lucky...be interested to hear how you get on though....

May involve asking several places in the city centre, although theres an ireland a match on tonight isnt there? or some under 21s or some union rubbish :p

• Advertisement

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    May involve asking several places in the city centre, although theres an ireland a match on tonight isnt there? or some under 21s or some union rubbish :p

Don't think thats on TV....but you'll still struggle!

toomevara wrote: »
    Don't think thats on TV....but you'll still struggle!

They used to show it in the UCD bars when i asked but only when it was quiet (generally was around weekends). Will prob have to be a stream :mad:

5 Catalans Dragons were arrested here in Leeds last night following a brawl in the centre of town.

Unfortunately, it seemed they were intent on taking the 'sore losers' tag too literally:(

Unfortunately, it seemed they were intent on taking the 'sore losers' tag too literally:(

Saw the highlights of the game on the super league show. Wakey played some lovely rugby, nice to see.

Sky+'d the new Boots'n'all Highlights show last night but haven't had time to watch it yet. I loved the quote from the club's website review of the match that said when we were good we were very, very good but when we were bad we gave away penalties!:)

Everyone has predicted how good Wires, Wigan, Hull and of course Leeds and Saints, are going to be this season but Wakey fans are genuinely excited by the squad of players Kear has assembled.

With a bit of good fortune we could pull off some big shocks (hopefully starting on Sunday;))

Sky+'d the new Boots'n'all Highlights show last night but haven't had time to watch it yet. I loved the quote from the club's website review of the match that said when we were good we were very, very good but when we were bad we gave away penalties!:)

Everyone has predicted how good Wires, Wigan, Hull and of course Leeds and Saints, are going to be this season but Wakey fans are genuinely excited by the squad of players Kear has assembled.

With a bit of good fortune we could pull off some big shocks (hopefully starting on Sunday;))

From the first weekend's showing I'd say Hull FC and Wakey have the most to be excited about. I'd worry for saints, looked rudderless against FC and you wonder, if, by losing Long, they've lost the guy who steered em round the pitch, the guy who provided the brain to all the brawn....

Well good news, Harlequins have had another player banned. Ryan Esders for a game for a dangerous throw. Players currently drawing lots to see who will be banned after the next round.

The Dragons have had a player banned for the match as well, Remi Casty, who cleaned out Paul Johnson big time with high shot on Sunday.

• Advertisement

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Well good news, Harlequins have had another player banned. Ryan Esders for a game for a dangerous throw. Players currently drawing lots to see who will be banned after the next round.

A morsel of good news for Quins:) Esders has won his appeal against his one match ban and is free to play against the Dragons

http://www.superleague.co.uk/article.php?id=16552

More good news for Quins (imagine how chuffed I will be when we win a game), but RFL chairman Mr Lewis is giving us a bit of love.

Super League needs Quins RL!!??

Lewis told BBC London 94.9: "We're putting in a lot of effort to help grow the game in the South East and London.

"Once we get people there, they will come back because it's a great sport."

He added: "We need to strike a balance and make sure that the Super League is seen by as many people as possible but at the same time recognizing that London and Harlequins are important to us," said Lewis.

Actually what is also good is the amount of time local radio in London seems to be giving to Rugby League too. Hopefully there will be a reasonable attendance against Catalans, on a Sunday, on a reasonably slow Football weekend.

I am at a loss why Quins can't draw a decent crowd:(

With the success of amateur RL development in London, the number of northern, Aussie and Kiwi RL fans currently living in London and the promotion it is getting :confused:

What is going wrong? Is it the Stoop's location?

i can never quite figure this out either, it certainly isn't for the want of trying. The Stoop itself is a great ground with excellent facilities, the location is a wee bit crap alright, that part of London is a bit quiet/twee....

With the success of amateur RL development in London, the number of northern, Aussie and Kiwi RL fans currently living in London and the promotion it is getting :confused:

Yeah, strange one. I think its ingrained as a "northern" sport, with even less history of Rugby League than parts of France, and so many football teams vying for peoples attention.

Stoop isn't a great for public transport. Tube gets you to Richmond, then the train. Not a big ordeal but apathetic punters probably use it as an excuse. The constant change of venue/name in the past has probably slowed growth. Aussie/Kiwis made up a large part of the early years of Broncos but you hear less of their accents these days (well, according to my sources as I only get to a game a year if I am lucky!!)

I think this year with the BBC local radio promoting it, and having a stable (and nice) venue we might seem some improvement (not holding breath though). If the W*nkers at the London Evening Standard acknowledged there was 2 codes for Rugby it would be a start.

They should def. always play on Sunday in Football season but they don't seem keen on that idea.

On a non-Quins note, Leeds Rhinos will be without the services of Carl Ablett for 8 weeks, bbc report of same here

Rhinos have lost Carl Ablett (8-10 weeks) and Brett Delaney (2 weeks +).

I am not sure how much Leeds will miss Ablett, he has yet to convince me that he is any more than a good club-standard player.

The loss of Brett Delaney will probably hurt more, he was looking like he could be a very effective try-scorer.

Wakey will welcome back Terry Newton and Richie Moore for the Leeds game, a welcome boost for the Wildcats in what will be a very tough forward battle.

Rhinos have lost Carl Ablett (8-10 weeks) and Brett Delaney (2 weeks +).

The loss of Brett Delaney will probably hurt more, he was looking like he could be a very effective try-scorer.

Totally agree, I like Ablett, solid journeyman, but I think the loss of Delaney is definitely a bigger blow.

Well here we go again:mad:

The RFL Disciplinary Committee again shows that the punishments it hands out are totally inconsistent, arbitary and open to accusations of bias.

Richard Moore gets a one match ban and a £300 fine for throwing one punch, David Ferriol throws a few punches and gets sending-off sufficient a £250 fine:rolleyes:

One can't help but admire someone who can turn optimism into an art form.

Take a bow Steve McNamara. If Gordon Brown or Brian Cowens needs a quality spin-doctor, to talk a recession into the boom-times, Steve's your man.

So his current revelation is that the drubbing by the Saints was actually a good thing for the Bulls and will be the making of his team:eek:

http://www.superleague.co.uk/article.php?id=16616

Does he genuinely believe that?

Can someone explain his logic to me? All I see is a team bereft of ideas, confidence and the essential systems and structures to operate by.

By blaming the players he is abdicating his responsibilities as coach and, on the contrary, I can only see things getting worse.

• Advertisement

The RFL have handed a £5,000 fine to the Crusaders over the debacle of 6 Aussie players, who were playing for them last season without proper work visas.

Can't help but think that if this had been an established SL club the fine would have been more like £50,000, but the RFL didn't want to risk upsetting or destabilizing the new Crusaders set-up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_league/super_league/celtic_crusaders/8531529.stm

Advertisement