Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boonen Banned from TDF

Options
  • 11-06-2008 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭

Well well,what do make of that,what is going on......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

bunnygreen wrote: »
    Well well,what do make of that,what is going on......

I am really annoyed ... Boonen was one of my favourite riders ... and not only because he was handsome ... I guess I still have Jens Voigt ... ( please Jens stay clean )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Caroline,Jens is a monster,some sprinting uphill in this tears paris-nice,boonens a bit of a playboy,nice legs alright.

Caroline,Jens is a monster,some sprinting uphill in this tears paris-nice,boonens a bit of a playboy,nice legs alright.
    Oh ye, Boonen has an Amazing looking backside and legs ( sorry guys ... that's my revenge from you talking about women's bum on a previous post ) ...

Voigt has always been my favourite pro cyclist ... my mother is still a fan of Indurain after all these years.

yeah boonen is a good looking guy,i could have done with his ass and legs on the Wicklow 200,thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

yeah boonen is a good looking guy,i could have done with his ass and legs on the Wicklow 200,thats all.

I could have maybe done with his coke on the 200 :)

• Advertisement

caroline,vous etes francaise n'est pas?

Tiny,thats a trump.

caroline,vous etes francaise n'est pas?
    Oui de Bordeaux ... but you wouldn't know ... I lost the accent after all these years...

What really annoyes me about Boonen taking coke it that, he probably hasn't just picked up the habit recently ... so, why do we only know about it now. Does it mean he was off cocaine during the tours? And on During training? I don't get drugs ... I much prefer a nice cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I think this is a good move by the ASO. Shows they are more interested in cleaning up the sport than UCI.

• Advertisement

Caroline,mais vous ne détruisez jamais le goût pour le thé

Caroline,mais vous ne détruisez jamais le goût pour le thé
    Good effort ... mais je ne comprend vraiment pas cette phrase ;)
    Tea is my favourite thing in Ireland ... ahhh a nice cup of Barry's tea ... with milk and 1 teaspoon of sugar. J'emporte toujours mon the avec moi en France ... but they don't always have kettles ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Boonen is one of my favourites. It's a pity he has let this happen.

I think we should start taking bets ... who do you think will get caught during the TDF this year?? ... maybe one of the Australians this time ( random guess )

one of the columbians?

And something else I don't understand ...

http://www.europeloton.com/2008/05/basso-to-become-anti-doping-ambassador.html

* ... Hi My Name is Ivan and I have been off the doping for 2 years ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'm going to guess at Cavendish -simply cos he's so much to lose!

Valverde

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

penexpers wrote: »
    I think this is a good move by the ASO. Shows they are more interested in cleaning up the sport than UCI.
    Personally I think this is a cowardly media-driven move by ASO. Anti-doping, sure. But a distinction must be made between recreational drugs and drugs used for performance enhancement. As has been by UCI and WADA. You can be anti-doping in sport (as I most certainly would be) while being pro-legalisation for many recreational drugs. But at the end of the day, ultimately the two are not connected and SHOULD NOT be connected.

Point is, Boonen was not taking coke to help him win the TdF.

Next thing the TdF will have some rule banning 16 year olds as "performance enhancing."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Yes but he knows thw score ( bad pun) and he was stupid to mess around with coke. These guys know that they can be tested at any time. No excuses. Its their responsibility to stay clean from ALL drugs. Really disappointed to hear he was caught. Great rider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

sy wrote: »
    Yes but he knows thw score ( bad pun) and he was stupid to mess around with coke. These guys know that they can be tested at any time. No excuses. Its their responsibility to stay clean from ALL drugs. Really disappointed to hear he was caught. Great rider.
    I disagree. There are rules. Cocaine outside competition is non-peformancing enhancing. 2 days is the rule. No-one disagrees with this. Even this result was supposedly leaked as Boonen had broken no anti-doping rule.

Anti-doping is not about "everyone hold hands and say NO to drugs", it's about unfair competition in sport. This distorts that message.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

What really annoyes me about Boonen taking coke it that, he probably hasn't just picked up the habit recently ... so, why do we only know about it now. Does it mean he was off cocaine during the tours? And on During training? I don't get drugs ... I much prefer a nice cup of tea.

We're not just hearing about it now. Its been in the rumour mill for months.

Off course he was off cocaine during the tours, it would show up in any tests.

Coke is only classed as an in-competition PED as it only gives benefit on the day, not in long term training.

I'm probably more anti-doping than they next guy but this wasn't doping, this was stupidity and partying.

penexpers wrote: »

Not really no.

Alcohol is considered a PED. Obviously an in-competition PED. How many people would test positive for alcohol in an out of compeition dope test?

Lets get clear on what is and isn't performance enhanhing doping. Coke out of competition is not performance enhancing.

blorg wrote: »
    Personally I think this is a cowardly media-driven move by ASO. Anti-doping, sure. But a distinction must be made between recreational drugs and drugs used for performance enhancement. As has been by UCI and WADA. You can be anti-doping in sport (as I most certainly would be) while being pro-legalisation for many recreational drugs. But at the end of the day, ultimately the two are not connected and SHOULD NOT be connected.

Next thing the TdF will have some rule banning 16 year olds as "performance enhancing."

+1

(beat me to it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

blorg wrote: »

I don't think ASO were approaching it from a doping point of view, merely an image point of view. I think they want everyone who enters the TdF to be totally clean of performance enchancing drugs and recreational drugs. Boonen as such a high profile rider was stupid to get caught and now he's paying the price.

I agree with the ASO for not wanting him in. I think he's a great rider, I'll still follow his results and he is still one of my favourites, however, the sport is already suffering from so many setbacks with doping that they simply have to leave him out. It doesn't matter if it's recreational and out of competition. The sport must be seen to be clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

well quickstep have at least stood behind him.

i have to disagree with the ASO; this was not doping and that's a s far as their remit should go. recreational drug use (that has no performance enhancing effect) is none of their business, it's a matter for the law should it come to that.

i can see why they've banned him though, he would be a likely stage winner and they don't want that kind of publicity, but i dislike their make-it-up-as-we-go-along policy as to who can and can't race and why. it's basically saying "it's my gaff, i can do as i please". it's true, but that doesn't make it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

But this is what I don't understand, and you see it with footballers too (Being a Chelsea fan I am remembering Mutu and Bosnich flushing their careers down the toilet). Not only are they role models to fans and under the glare of the media spotlight, but they live and breathe an industry that enforces extremely strict testing.

Surely they aren't stupid enough to think that they can get away with it? I don't know how long trace amounts of cocaine remain in the body, but if I were a professional athlete, I wouldn't stake my career and reputation on a pretty silly pastime. Like Caroline said, he should probably have stuck to a cup of tea per day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭erizo

and what about all the politicians that run different countries in europe that are high on coke?

and what about all those taxi drivers that drive you high on coke on a saturday night?

how many people does coke, nowadays, off-season, during the season...
    and it is not considered a enhancing drug, anyway, i guess it is fair to be banned, because it is a drug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I don't know how long trace amounts of cocaine remain in the body, but if I were a professional athlete, I wouldn't stake my career and reputation on a pretty silly pastime. Like Caroline said, he should probably have stuck to a cup of tea per day.

Usually 24hrs but up to 48hr max. - it's one of the quicker ones to be expunged hence more suitable for people who are regularly drug tested than for example cannabis which can remain in the body for weeks.
    It is a bit unfair that he can be banned for non performance enhancing drugs but I guess it is illegal so once it went public they could hardly ignore it after all the scandals of the last few years.

Advertisement