Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Enjoyed the Brendan Grace specials on RTE

Never saw the man live but he was a legend and one of those clean comedians who would make a joke out of anything

One of this sons has a very strong American accent?? Did the family live there for a while ?

He was primarily based in the US since some of the kids were young enough to pickup an accent, probably 20 years ago. He performed for Sinatra and Davis in Dublin which opened US doors and was the making of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I don’t know if this is from a movie or TV show.

A guy is a state of depression (I think) - is unkempt and in a nightgown - and confesses that the previous week he masturbated to Helen Mirren in The Queen.

“Didn’t plan it, it just happened”

EDIT: is it Brian Gleeson in Standby? No shows in my Netflix continue list seem like candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 60,349 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

With Apple + going live next week I was reading there are close to 500 scripted shows airing in America now across Broadcast TV, Cable & Streaming

• Registered Users Posts: 55,460 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

So much TV, so little time...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And given how much of them won't ever get a physical release, and their services might disappear, in a few years it'll be like they never existed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, the AppleTV stuff has received very mixed previews. The ones they have being advertising heavily. The Jennifer Aniston one is described as "Sorkin without the Sorkin". And it the trailers did seem to be going for the Sorkin-vibe. The Momoa one is apparently meh: He's good but apart from that it's very derivative. Thankfully the one I'm most interested in (But not enough to buy), the Alt-History Space Race one "For All Mankind" is the best (But still with some caveats).

Without a TV station or huge backlog (Like Disney+) it will be very difficult for Apple to compete with established services like Netflix and Amazon (And HBO and Hulu in the US). A half dozen shows? 4.5 - 6 hours a week? I know they have deals to make Tom Hank's next WW2 series but that's early days yet. Maybe 3 years or so from now it might be worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I had seen a few underwhelming reviews for that Momoa vehicle; honestly it feels like Apple+ really misjudged the topography of modern TV: nothing in the line-up stands out as a unique or particularly interesting idea. As you say Grover, it all comes off as derivative.

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon (Disney too I guess) have all made pointed attempts to shore up as many popular IPs and adaptable literary material as possible, often for brazen attempts to hop on that post GoT goodwill towards sword & sorcery, and with the best will in the world, Tom Hanks doing another WW2 drama isn't _that_ exciting IMO.

pixelburp wrote: »
    ...... and with the best will in the world, Tom Hanks doing another WW2 drama isn't _that_ exciting IMO.

I must admit. I didn't even finish The Pacific. I did not find the characters, real or not, to be very engaging or likeable. I was looking forward to the airforce one though. But not enough to fork out almost half what I pay for Netflix.

I must admit. I didn't even finish The Pacific. I did not find the characters, real or not, to be very engaging or likeable. I was looking forward to the airforce one though. But not enough to fork out almost half what I pay for Netflix.

Same: it was only when the announcement was made that I even remembered Hanks produced that follow-up; like you I found it far less engaging than Band of Brothers, with that earlier show still quite fondly recalled. Apple+ just seems like such a half-hearted exercise overall, dipping their toes into the waters 'cos they feel being even tangentially involved in media necessitates a streaming channel.

• Advertisement

The series is a couple years away yet most likely and by then Apple might have her shows that appeal to you.

if not there is always the free trial period if you don't mind binging it. €4.99 isn't that much if it is a series you really want to see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Masters of the Air's been in development for at least half a decade. Hard to know how Apple will do with a WWII series, given their lack of experience. Wasn't a huge fan of The Pacific either, tbh.

Would like to see Hanks get on with 1776.

Reddick's great. They didn't want him as Daniels (The Wire) at first, or indeed Broyles (Fringe).

Reddick's great. They didn't want him as Daniels (The Wire) at first, or indeed Broyles (Fringe).

Who didn’t want him as Broyles or Daniels?

He doesn’t say,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Really couldn't see him as Charlie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is anyone here watching Giri/Haji? It's becoming one of the best series of the year for me. Beautifully put together, mixing short and sharp action with a melancholic zen (yes it's Japanese themed).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Is anyone here watching Giri/Haji? It's becoming one of the best series of the year for me. Beautifully put together, mixing short and sharp action with a melancholic zen (yes it's Japanese themed).
    Have it recorded. Good story, and looks great, with pretty good reviews. Been waiting for them to mount up, so will start watching soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Saw this on twitter and thought the same ....except he’s on the sex offenders list in the states now

The man, not the muppet

Is that the kid who became an airforce pilot? I remember seeing something years ago with Grover meeting the kids from the show.

• Advertisement

How after an episode of a BBC shows airs does it get added iTunes UK store.

I know a few tears ago it was a week - is this still the case?

Sky (Comcast) are set to open there own Flim & TV studio at Elstree by 2022 and are set to build 14 new sound stages along with other facilities there on 32 acres.

Netflix had announced that they were going to open 14 new sound stages at Pinewwood Shepperton

and

Disney had announced they had a deal with Pinewood at it's its other studio in Buckinghamshire.

The Streaming Wars are heating up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Sky (Comcast) are set to open there own Flim & TV studio at Elstree by 2022 and are set to build 14 new sound stages along with other facilities there on 32 acres.

Netflix had announced that they were going to open 14 new sound stages at Pinewwood Shepperton

and

Disney had announced they had a deal with Pinewood at it's its other studio in Buckinghamshire.

The Streaming Wars are heating up.

There's also rumblings of the Paramount decree which stops studios from owning cinemas and theatres being overturned which will have massively negative consequences. Disney already put a lot of pressure on theatres to block book their movies, imagine if they owned their own chain.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    There's also rumblings of the Paramount decree which stops studios from owning cinemas and theatres being overturned which will have massively negative consequences. Disney already put a lot of pressure on theatres to block book their movies, imagine if they owned their own chain.

Yes I've read about this a couple of times already. It's a really scary prospect for film distribution if it is overturned - though it's unclear what affect that might have on non American chains (if any). Certainly Disney have been basically circumventing the decree for a while now, if it's removed Disney cinemas will be right around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Have it recorded. Good story, and looks great, with pretty good reviews. Been waiting for them to mount up, so will start watching soon.

Just finished watching it. The series is bookended by two fantastic episodes, but sags a little in between. I wasn't sure whether I would continue after the third one, thinking that the opening episode perhaps had flattered to deceive.
    The opener was very stylish, with a tongue-in-cheek mishmash of styles, genres, action and humour; while the subsequent episodes lacked the style and verve of the opener, it settled into a complex plot with lots of humour- being slightly bonkers at times, but feeling a little weighed down- a little too slow at times.
    This was all redeemed in the last episode; the best series finale I have seen in a long time. The rooftop scene was one I would normally see as just pretentious and silly, when out of nowhere, came a scene that was just amazing-an emotional knock-out, timed to coincide with plot threads elsewhere being tied up. A truly memorable finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mammychicken

Can highly recommend Giri/Haji - so disappointed its finished!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Can highly recommend Giri/Haji - so disappointed its finished!!

Really enjoyed it! Seemed to fly under the radar a bit but definitely worth a watch

Thnking about the fuss that Disney don't have toys ready for Baby Yoda got me thinking Netflix are missing a trick not having a Netflix shop selling t-****s and other merch from there shows and films.

Stranger Things along could have paid for itself from merch alone.

It actually must have been very difficult for Disney to make that decision to not release merch initially. I mean no matter how many Non-Disclosure Agreements and secrecy clauses SOME manufacturer would have released an image.

Now I intentionally stayed away as much as possible from Mandalorian spoilers so maybe I was more successful than I thought but, as far as I can tell, nobody saw "baby Yoda" coming.

As for Netflix merch. Yeah, surely there is a market there. What with the resurgence of records and the time period Stranger Things was set, this would have been a prime avenue (Guardians of The Galaxy released the first soundtrack on TAPE!!! :) ).

I'm sure Netflix aren't short of a bob or two but the sharks are coming and 2 or 3 years from now they could be looking for extra revenue....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Talking about not wanting to spoil something through Star Wars merchandise, I remember reading the track listing for The Phantom Menace and it containing a big spoiler

Advertisement