Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shannon radar down again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

Spot the difference, same organization, same day, same time, different radar:

495786.JPG

495787.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Comhra wrote: »
    Probably left up to keep the Boards crowd from moaning and griping.....:)

Worth every moan and gripe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Villain wrote: »
    ... the lack of communication is very frustrating...

While the radar is a mess, to be fair there is no lack of communication. Their website says that it would be out until at least the 3rd week in November at the earliest and that any updates would be posted there. There are obviously no updates yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

While the radar is a mess, to be fair there is no lack of communication. Their website says that it would be out until at least the 3rd week in November at the earliest and that any updates would be posted there. There are obviously no updates yet.

The frustrating lack of communication is regarding the radar network upgrade plans.
    "Met Éireann has already commenced planning for a major programme to expand and modernise the Irish weather radar network."

That's all we have from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,917 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Rougies wrote: »
    The frustrating lack of communication is regarding the radar network upgrade plans.

That's all we have from them.

They said that years ago. Regarding our "moans & gripes". For some the radar is a luxury, a little extra. For others it's a daily essential that can effect how much we earn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I mean an update that says what the ongoing issues are, this isn't the first time it has been down and if as suspected that it is due to old hardware that parts are hard to secure or what is the issue.

Also what the plans are for a new radar with some timelines, my FOI request is to the department to see if there is any detail on funds being allocated and any potential issues that may delay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The_Outsider

Great to see it back!

I really hope that plans for a permanent replacement and upgrade of the network are being executed.
    I look forward to reading the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Can nearly hear the muttering of now f*ck off and stop complaining under the breath as the tweet went out
    Tweet at 10.15 Attn: All Shannon Radar Users
    The radar is now working under normal scheduling as before and available online at http://met.ie since 09:45 Z this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Anyone running a book as to when it goes down next ?

Based on the past performance, my money would be down again before Christmas, lets hope not.

SlowBlowin wrote: »

Based on the past performance, my money would be down again before Christmas, lets hope not.

Don't jynx it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭highdef

Just as a deep low pressure approaches from the south whilst we are several days in to a deep easterly in early January with a screaming northerly trying its best to push back the impending blizzard but to no avail.

Hasn't been raining over in Shannon today so lets see what happens when the next heavey rain front moves over it

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

From looking at the Met Éireann app a few minutes ago, it appears the Shannon radar could be back online? Fingers crossed it stays working now for awhile...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Carol25 wrote: »
    From looking at the Met Éireann app a few minutes ago, it appears the Shannon radar could be back online? Fingers crossed it stays working now for awhile...

It is, and has been discussed in the posts immediately previous to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It is, and has been discussed in the posts immediately previous to yours.

Whoops, apologies. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So plenty have been following this thread! :)

So plenty have been following this thread! :)

Met also getting asked questions on twitter as well. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Power failures and overheating cause long-term outages at Ireland's 'most important' weather radar https://jrnl.ie/4908856

Live now. A few FOI requests to get the real picture.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    Power failures and overheating cause long-term outages at Ireland's 'most important' weather radar https://jrnl.ie/4908856

What a joke

irishgeo wrote: »

The relevant paragraph:

In a statement during the outages, Met Éireann apologised to those in affected counties for the loss of coverage.

It also said that it is planning a major programme to expand and modernise Ireland’s weather radar network, which it expects to meet the country’s needs to 2040.

However, it is not yet known when these upgrades will take place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Discodog wrote: »
    The relevant paragraph:

In a statement during the outages, Met Éireann apologised to those in affected counties for the loss of coverage.

It also said that it is planning a major programme to expand and modernise Ireland’s weather radar network, which it expects to meet the country’s needs to 2040.

It's easy to plan, I'm planning on redecorating the house for the last 10 years.

Joe Public wrote: »
    It's easy to plan, I'm planning on redecorating the house for the last 10 years.

Apparently they were planning seven years ago. This planning takes a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Probably sometime in the late 2030's I'd imagine. . . .at a cost of around treble the original estimate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

TD Timmy Dooley PQ got a reply.

PQ1.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

How come met Éireann has to go through a procurement process for equipment
    Yet the Oireachtas can get the worlds best printing press asap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,474 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Oireachtas went through a procurment process too. The printing press wasn't the problem.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Joe Public

talkabout wrote: »

One big problem about etenders is that the job often goes to a big bureaucratic organisation who are good at responding to tenders with little emphasis on checking out their previous work. Hopefully the experienced Met people in Met eireann will have have a major say in who gets the job rather than just leaving it to the accountants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

Taking 365 days in a year (some use 366) for 2018
    304 days for 2019
    They probably take away routine maintenance also, say circa 3 days, plus even a mid year check of 1 day

2018- average 98.93% Avail .... circa 4 days downtime (7 days with maint)
    2019- average 92.71% Avail .... circa 24 days downtime (28 days with maint)

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    TD Timmy Dooley PQ got a reply.

PQ1.png

Well colour me beautiful - we're getting five dual-polarisation radars.

Now let me guess the locations for the additional three...

Cork Apt or Farranfore Apt
    Knock Apt or Finner Camp AWS or Donegal Apt.
    Waterford Apt

Dublin and Shannon to get upgrades.

I've highlighted my three guesses in bold.

talkabout wrote: »

The PIN notice did not specify the band but I expect they are implying C band. I would really like to see at least one S band system somewhere the West - possibly Valentia or Belmullet. They need to include a quality of service agreement with a target uptime of ~99% (including servicing) with financial penalties if not met.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Danno wrote: »
    Well colour me beautiful - we're getting five dual-polarisation radars.

Now let me guess the locations for the additional three...

Cork Apt or Farranfore Apt
    Knock Apt or Finner Camp AWS or Donegal Apt.
    Waterford Apt

Dublin and Shannon to get upgrades.

I've highlighted my three guesses in bold.

Well hopefully, as I'm a stones throw from one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Radars don't need to be located at current stations. They can be anywhere. That opens up a lot more possible locations, unless we get the usual nimbysm like we have with the wind farms. But from that list, certainly Waterford and Donegal Airports are most needed. Others would be south Kerry/west Cork, Belmullet/Mace Head and somewhere like Mullingar.

Radars don't need to be located at current stations. They can be anywhere. That opens up a lot more possible locations, unless we get the usual nimbysm like we have with the wind farms. But from that list, certainly Waterford and Donegal Airports are most needed. Others would be south Kerry/west Cork, Belmullet/Mace Head and somewhere like Mullingar.

I suspect they are counting on the radar systems in Wales and Cornwall to cover the SE. Coastal locations west of Cork and south of Donegal would seem to be the most attractive in terms of maximum range. After that it is down to spacing between them (assuming there will be more than one), proximity to service personnel, good road access, terrain type (avoiding mountains is hard in the inland direction!) and availability of a good (3 phase?) power supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

ecowise wrote: »
    I suspect they are counting on the radar systems in Wales and Cornwall to cover the SE. Coastal locations west of Cork and south of Donegal would seem to be the most attractive in terms of maximum range. After that it is down to spacing between them (assuming there will be more than one), proximity to service personnel, good road access, terrain type (avoiding mountains is hard in the inland direction!) and availability of a good (3 phase?) power supply.

The Welsh radar doesn't give good coverage for the SE and the Cornwall one is way out of range.

3eI9Zyn.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SeedySam22

All things being equal for any site the 1st preference should be height. We don't want our precious radars being knee deep in water.

Rougies wrote: »
    The Welsh radar doesn't give good coverage for the SE and the Cornwall one is way out of range.

Sorry for not making myself clearer. By SE I meant for observing rain systems coming from the SE. I think both Wales & Cornwall are very useful for this. Likewise on the SW & W coasts we want to see systems as early as possible before they make landfall.

SeedySam22 wrote: »
    All things being equal for any site the 1st preference should be height. We don't want our precious radars being knee deep in water.

I'm not sure I understand you, why would a radar be placed somewhere liable to being knee deep in water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It would be nice for the SE to get some decent coverage - even the full fat weather stations are rare down here.

• Advertisement

It would be nice for the SE to get some decent coverage - even the full fat weather stations are rare down here.

If they are going to deploy another 3 C-band radars in addition to Dublin and Shannon then I would include the SE. One in Belmullet, one in Valentia and one in Waterford. My reasons for these locations are to get maximum additional coverage from easily serviceable sites. Other locations would also work but these seem reasonable. Any other suggestions?

Useful interactive map for weather radar installations relevant to Europe:

http://radar.meteo.be/en/1682986-In+Europe.html

The best guide to new locations may be to look for existing government owned sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SeedySam22

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand you, why would a radar be placed somewhere liable to being knee deep in water?

While both radars are high up in the airports they could have access closed off due to local flooding in relatively low lying land

Radar isn't looking too good in Shannon
    yJqvscx.png

spookwoman wrote: »
    Radar isn't looking too good in Shannon

It seems to be normal on met.ie and metoffice.gov.uk.

The interference always seems more pronounced on netweather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Big storm coming in so, naturally, it's down again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

171170 wrote: »

It's not on netweather, seems to be on met.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

171170 wrote: »

It's working again - alleluia!

Advertisement