Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Actor of the modern era?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

AngryLoner wrote: »
    What, nobody for Ryan Gosling? He's the Gylfi Sigurdsson of modern cinema!

Middling? Bang average? Because that's what Gylfi is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Charltan Heston,Kirk Douglas,and George C. Scott.Also Bill Paxton.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Brad Pitt isn't really a great actor. He is fairly wooden like Keanu Reeves.

He generally plays the same role basically a handsome cool dude e.g. the Ocean's movies, Fight Club, Seven. Even as the lawyer in Sleepers.

He was good as a nutcase in 12 Monkeys and a psychopath in Kalifornia. The stoner, Floyd in True Romance was a good show but I'd say anyone could pull that off.

His performance in the Devil's Own was rank. The Irish accent was dire and you could see that he was struggling with it and it affected how he delivered his lines.

An actor should be versatile and be able to play a hero, a villain, a psychopath a convincing homosexual, be able to exude authentic emotion whether it's fear, rage, misery, etc.

Some that standout for me that can do this would be

Kevin Bacon

Sean Penn
    Jake Gyllenhal
    Cillian Murphy

Just on your point about an actor's versatility, tell that to the 'woke' brigade.

There is no way Day Lewis would be allowed play Christy Brown today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

This is it wrote: »
    Casey Affleck doesn't seem to get too many leading roles but I think he's very good. Gone Baby Gone wasn't a fantastic movie but I thought he was brilliant in it.

Wasn't Casey Affleck a bit bold during the filming of I'm still here. Thinks he has a bit of a rep. Good actor though. Superb in both The assassination of Jesse James and Manchester by the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Be right back

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Nah, he's made fcukall movies lately. :D

Now, now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Some favourites of mine already mentioned. Christian Bale, Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel Day Lewis. Also Joaquin Phoenix, Casey Affleck, Willem Dafoe, Michael Shannon, Octavia Spencer, Amy Adams, Frances Mcdormand, Matthew McConaughey, Mahershala Ali.

I love fillums :)

Solid, solid list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Brad Pitt isn't really a great actor. He is fairly wooden like Keanu Reeves.

He generally plays the same role basically a handsome cool dude e.g. the Ocean's movies, Fight Club, Seven. Even as the lawyer in Sleepers.

He was good as a nutcase in 12 Monkeys and a psychopath in Kalifornia. The stoner, Floyd in True Romance was a good show but I'd say anyone could pull that off.

His performance in the Devil's Own was rank. The Irish accent was dire and you could see that he was struggling with it and it affected how he delivered his lines.

An actor should be versatile and be able to play a hero, a villain, a psychopath a convincing homosexual, be able to exude authentic emotion whether it's fear, rage, misery, etc.
    What about Mikey the pikey?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Sam Rockwell a very overlooked actor he has been excellent in many of his roles.

If this was 15 years ago John Malkovich would be top of my list seeing him in polar opposite roles of Lenny in Of Mice and Men and Cyrus the Virus in Con Air he still has that spark even now in The New Pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭davidglanza

Tom cruise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tom cruise.

https://www.rogerebert.com/scanners/talking-heads--american-psycho--christian-bale--tom-cruise--miles-fisher--mad-men
    Director Mary Harron, on working with Christian Bale to develop the character of Patrick Bateman in "American Psycho":

"We talked about how Martian-like Patrick Bateman was, how he was looking at the world like somebody from another planet, watching what people did and trying to work out the right way to behave. And then one day he called me and he had been watching Tom Cruise on David Letterman, and he just had this very intense friendliness with nothing behind the eyes, and he was really taken with this energy."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,037 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Denzel Washington. Brilliant in most films he does. Manages to make a mediocre film interesting just because of his acting talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Stephen Graham is absolutely outstanding as Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire. Really nails the madness and coldness of the man. In fact, there are a lot of brilliant performances in that show that makes me think of the actors as being among the best in the business.

The aforementioned Michael Shannon plays an ideal role in BE, and has a real brooding presence in everything I have seen him in since.

Bobby Cannavale plays arguably the greatest villian in the history of television in Gyp Rossetti, and does an excellent job. Michael Stuhlbarg and Shea Whigham are both excellent in it too. All the three are solid.

But a very underrated actor in everything he is in is Michael Kenneth Williams. Perhaps the star of the show in Boardwalk Empire as Chalky White, and is great in the Wire too.

As for some of the mainstream guys, has there ever been an actor who has tainted their legacy with a litany of bad films more than De Niro? Cannot bring to mind a decent film he has been in in my adulthood (I am 32 now), and he has been a lot of duds. Silver Linings Playbook was well received I suppose, but I thought it was ****e enough (mainly due to Bradley Cooper's bad acting). His career reminds of Wayne Rooney's in soccer- first half genuinely excellent, faded badly thereafter.

He was in some classics too, Deer Hunter, Taxi Driver and Raging Bull.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

How could I have overlooked Cate Blanchett? Superb in practically every role she played and did a seriously convincing Dublin accent in Veronica Guerin.

Heath Ledger showed so much talent and promise. He was amazing as a very disturbed Joker in Batman: The Dark Knight and Brokeback Mountain. Such a waste and a real loss.

Cillian Murphy is the best of our home grown younger actors. He is extremely versatile in his roles (a sign of a really good actor). Michael Fassbender would be a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

I too can understand your position. His movies are very heavy. I will say that I enjoyed In The Name Of The Father. His scenes when he cracked up in the jail cell, when he started screaming during interrogation, when he confronted the IRA man who torched the prison guard were all very powerful performances. I liked him in The Boxer too. But his other movies like Gangs Of New York and There Will Be Blood, I just find so bleak. Doesn't take away from the actor's pedigree, I know.

I can also get what you're saying. There will be blood was very boring imo, I loved Gangs of New York though. The Crucible is one of my fav Daniel Day Lewis films, thought he was excellent in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Joe Pesci. Nobody could play a psychopath gangster better than Joe. It's actually funny because the guy is about 5"3 but he played some pretty intimidating characters very well. Plus the guy also had comedic talent as well.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Brian Cranston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Mads Mikkelsen is very good, done a great job in Hannibal. He has some Danish films that are supposed to be very good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Klaus Kinski he played the hunchback in For A Few Dollars More and some other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Ipso wrote: »
    Mads Mikkelsen is very good, done a great job in Hannibal. He has some Danish films that are supposed to be very good.

Pusher is a great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Rachel Weiss.

Incredible actress. Saw her in a few arthouse films back in the day. She was the lead in A Constant Gardner.

Married to Daniel Craig now & semi retired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Really? Why don't you like films?

Didn't say I don't like them, I just don't watch many. Someone mentioned Michael Kenneth Williams who was Omar in The Wire, he is in a Netflix film, the Red Sea diving resort, I watched that and enjoyed it. I do watch a bit of TV, but mainly documentaries, and not many films.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jazz_jazz

Anthony Hopkins
    Judi Dench
    Maggie Smith
    Edward Norton
    Gary Oldman
    Emma Thompson
    Tom Hardy

All excellent actors

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Maybe consider some of these points in thinking about your choice.

Box Office draw, ability to coexist with fellow cast members and the director, acting talent, can they be both a hero and villain. Do they fit the personality of a certain type of role. Are they good looking or god awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Jeff Bridges,has some great film roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Ed Norton was in some great movies but sort of disappeared after doing the hulk.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

From the 60's until now is very long period to choose from.

Jamie Foxx is very talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Just on your point about an actor's versatility, tell that to the 'woke' brigade.

There is no way Day Lewis would be allowed play Christy Brown today.

They'd probably have a problem with Hoffman in Rain Man and De Niro in Awakenings too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

jazz_jazz wrote: »
    Anthony Hopkins
    Judi Dench
    Maggie Smith
    Edward Norton
    Gary Oldman
    Emma Thompson
    Tom Hardy

All excellent actors

She is just brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81