Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Actor of the modern era?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Julianne Moore, Frances McDormand.
    Sarah Lancashire is brilliant too.

Joaquin Phoenix, Michael Douglas, Sean Penn and Ed Norton.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Steve Mc Queen and Bob Hoskins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

billyhead wrote: »
    The actor from the Green Book is good. Marshala Ali. Not sure if the spelling is correct

He is good but he isn’t even the best actor in that movie imo. Viggo Mortenson was great as Tony Lip and has been great in a number of roles.
    Eastern promises, A History of Violence, Captain Fantastic, The Road come to mind.

For you movie trivia buffs, the real life bouncer character Tony Lip that Viggo played in Green Book actually done a bit of acting himself. He was the old Mafia guy Carmine, who was the head of the New York/New Jersey gangs in The Sopranos and also small roles in goodfellas and Donnie brasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

Baffled by the votes for Leo, he's as lightweight as they come

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Sandz066

Mathew McConaghy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The cat in the sheba cat food ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen John Hurt or Richard Harris mentioned yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I could never get tired of watching Last of the Mochicans.

Wes Studi was the star of that movie IMO.

Great movie, music and scenery were class. The closing 20 mins are epic imo.
    Watched it a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Casey Afleck in Manchester by the sea was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Sam Rockwell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

The whale out of free willy... very believable performance! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

The whale out of free willy... very believable performance! :D

Nominated for an orca.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Nominated for an orca.

Speaking of Orca, Richard Harris hasn't been mentioned yet. Guy is one of the most legendary Irish actors.

Also Alan Rickman always performed well in his roles, especially the villain ones. He was superb at delivering lines and dry humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I have often wondered about the world of acting. It seems to be one of those professions where you call yourself an actor but you're not one till you make it.

I remember watching Chris Pratt on the Graham Norton show and he talks about being a younger man working in a restaurant as a bus boy and eating food that people didn't touch. That he was potless. Even Chris Hemsworth says he was about to go broke before he got Thor. Despite being on home and away for three years in 2004 to 2007. That also means you took the gamble of moving to the states.

It's funny to think that these bonafide millionaires now most likely worried about paying next month's rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Ralph Fiennes
    Shindlers List
    In Bruges
    Grand Budapest Hotel
    Harry Potter
    And everything in between
    Always watchable in every film hes been in

• Registered Users Posts: 42 iwilldare

James Gandolfini

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Justin Hartley and Mandy Moore. I’m in the middle of season four of This Is Us. The entire cast is great but they both completely stand out as incredible.
    It's funny to think that these bonafide millionaires now most likely worried about paying next month's rent.

Annie Murphy from Schitt’s Creek said the same thing. She hadn’t worked in two years and had $3 left when she got the audition. She was on the brink of giving up and when she got the part, she was so nervous that she considered not doing it!

The comedian Michael McIntyre was in thirty grand of debt when he made it! Most of the debt was from doing Edinburgh Fringe and borrowing off family members For him and his wife to survive and have a small wedding, if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭CFlat

Paul Giamatti.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Sam Rockwell

Agree. Great actor. Was outstanding in three billboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Heckler wrote: »
    Agree. Great actor. Was outstanding in three billboards.

Superb actor. It started for me when I saw Welcome to Collinwood years ago, and just about everything else since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Superb actor. It started for me when I saw Welcome to Collinwood years ago, and just about everything else since then.

Green mile he was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Another vote for Stephen Graham. Versatile and completely compelling on screen. Just an incredible actor...seems like a decent bloke too.

It would be hard for me to pick one, but for my viewing I'd go with Bale, Pitt, Pheonix or Dafoe.

I like DiCaprio, but more often than not I can see him in the role rather than the character he's playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Robert De Niro for me.

I don't care how many bad films he's been in because the bad films will be forgotten but Taxi Driver and others will be remembered.

I like his cameos in David O. Russell movies.

Okay in Lawn dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Onshuh

Daniel Day Lewis for me even for There will be blood alone.

Anthony Hopkins would be up there aswell.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

growleaves wrote: »
    Robert De Niro for me.

I don't care how many bad films he's been in because the bad films will be forgotten but Taxi Driver and others will be remembered.
    Classics like Brazil and Stardust

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Probably Alf from Home and Away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

.anon. wrote: »

He wasn't bad in Breaker Morant.

• Advertisement

.anon. wrote: »

Stone the flaming crows

Advertisement