Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish bloggers..the truth coming out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I’d highly recommend this article about a group of Australian influencers. One of the best long-form articles I’ve ever read. Lots of shade thrown, both subtle and not so subtle.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2019/07/the-coast-of-utopia-surfer-moms-instagram-influencers/amp

Yer wan who refuses her kids all screens including phones and tellies yet relentlessly pushes their images all over instawank, bookface and the rest made me vomit up me dinner a little bit.

Maeve Higgins, Alison Spittle, and every other Irish female comedian as well on the various comedy threads. There’s a serious waft of misogyny from a relatively small cohort of angry men around here.

Might help their cause if any of those were actually funny

KiKi III wrote: »
    I read a few pages of it and her diet, body, work ethic and boyfriend were all torn apart. I hope she's making some money out of it because if she's not she's absolutely mad to put herself through that level of scrutiny.

But shur she's however many years into it at this stage..At this point I'm sure it's become an aspect of her identity, she would probably find it very difficult to turn around ad go 'oh, I'm not an influencer anymore..'..It probably didn't start out like that..Familiarity probably breeds contempt too..That whole site is probably pretty much all the same..It's pretty vicious though..We're fierce civilized here in comparison..

Most influencers dont bother me because like the vast majority of sensible people that dont tune in, im relatively unfamiliar with the who's who. More power to them if they make shed loads off the current idiocracy. Not sure if she falls under this category but Maura Higgins for example was declared a millionaire a few months ago. It says more about the people who would follow this girl than the girl herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Young, beautiful people have always been able to make quite a lot of money by doing not very much. Those with inherited wealth even moreso.

Social media didn't create this phenomenon.

• Advertisement

Young, beautiful people have always been able to make quite a lot of money by doing not very much. Those with inherited wealth even moreso.

Its surely made it more prevalent though??

Like fair play and all to em,deosnt affect me either way.......

Reminds me of when everyone used snigger at jedward,with a net worth of 6.5 million,whos laughing at who now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Not nessarilly, a lot of these blogger's and influencer's end up in rehab and observing their addictive behaviours and self obsession they're usually miserable.

Even when they end up in rehab and rock bottom they still blog about it.

It's all superficial waffle, they're never happy.

Just empty vessels and no soul or spirit within them...

You're probably living a more honest and reliable lifestyle yourself.

Social media didn't create this phenomenon

No but it accelerated it greatly and as a result, more ordinary people have become even more vaccous and Now, everyone with a social media account and a good camera phone can become a 'star'. The talent scouts and the agents have been removed from the process.

Its surely made it more prevalent though??

Like fair play and all to em,deosnt affect me either way.......

Reminds me of when everyone used snigger at jedward,with a net worth of 6.5 million,whos laughing at who now

Well, yeah - but only to the extent that people choose to buy into it.

I love Instagram, but a friend of mine joined and left during lockdown because he felt it was vacuous. Now fair enough, but he was choosing who he was following and he chose stereotypical influencer types.

I mostly follow my own friends, family, and acquaintances, then a bunch of sobriety and mental health accounts, and then a few celebrities/public figures but only if I find them genuinely entertaining or they have a bit of subtance about them.

The nice thing about it is that you can totally curate your own feed, unlike facebook where you're constantly bombarded with stuff because your friend liked/ comment on it. So if your feed is full of vacuous eejits, it's more of a reflection on you than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Most influencers dont bother me because like the vast majority of sensible people that dont tune in, im relatively unfamiliar with the who's who. More power to them if they make shed loads off the current idiocracy. Not sure if she falls under this category but Maura Higgins for example was declared a millionaire a few months ago. It says more about the people who would follow this girl than the girl herself.

I think Maura is a great example of this whole phenomenon which is much bigger than just influencers. Ok she was funny and entertaining, and she is a very pretty girl. But now your personality alone, and keeping in shape and being willing to parade around in skimpy bikinis, all while being crass and open about sex, means you’re a strong independent woman and entrepreneur, and opens the doors to untold riches. I already know what her new show on Monday night will be like before I even watch it. We have been dumbed down as a result of all this, and I am ashamed to say I am a consumer of it. Life is tough and this type of brain numbing entertainment has become the relief.
    It’s equally as bad on the lads side with them all going around topless, obsessed with gym, eating out and partying in Ibiza.
    There is no real beginning to it, but E and the Kardashian empire have to take a lot of the blame for all this.

• Advertisement

nthclare wrote: »
    Not nessarilly, a lot of these blogger's and influencer's end up in rehab and observing their addictive behaviours and self obsession they're usually miserable.

Even when they end up in rehab and rock bottom they still blog about it.

It's all superficial waffle, they're never happy.

Just empty vessels and no soul or spirit within them...

You're probably living a more honest and reliable lifestyle yourself.

Which influencers have ended up in rehab?

I think Maura is a great example of this whole phenomenon which is much bigger than just influencers. Ok she was funny and entertaining, and she is a very pretty girl. But now your personality alone, and keeping in shape and being willing to parade around in skimpy bikinis, all while being crass and open about sex, means you’re a strong independent woman and entrepreneur, and opens the doors to untold riches. I already know what her new show on Monday night will be like before I even watch it. We have been dumbed down as a result of all this, and I am ashamed to say I am a consumer of it. Life is tough and this type of brain numbing entertainment has become the relief.
    It’s equally as bad on the lads side with them all going around topless, obsessed with gym, eating out and partying in Ibiza.
    There is no real beginning to it, but E and the Kardashian empire have to take a lot of the blame for all this.

One time, we looked at Posh and Becks as the vain bimbo couple who seemed omnipresent. Compared to the present lot, Posh and Becks are actually quite reserved ,secretive and actually likeable.

Well, yeah - but only to the extent that people choose to buy into it.

I love Instagram, but a friend of mine joined and left during lockdown because he felt it was vacuous. Now fair enough, but he was choosing who he was following and he chose stereotypical influencer types.

I mostly follow my own friends, family, and acquaintances, then a bunch of sobriety and mental health accounts, and then a few celebrities/public figures but only if I find them genuinely entertaining or they have a bit of subtance about them.

The nice thing about it is that you can totally curate your own feed, unlike facebook where you're constantly bombarded with stuff because your friend liked/ comment on it. So if your feed is full of vacuous eejits, it's more of a reflection on you than them.

Tbh....im not on insta (too old to be starting now),have twitter mainly to follow pages linked to a hobby/interests of mine,and find it the same..

..i never get sucked into the mire of toxic comments or outrage culture,that so many dismiss it as (not following/followed by friends/family either though)

One time, we looked at Posh and Becks as the vain bimbo couple who seemed omnipresent. Compared to the present lot, Posh and Becks are actually quite reserved and secretive and actually likeable.

And both of them had a real talent, that started them off and kept them going as their main interest for many years. Now the talent is to just have no shame, to be pretty and in good shape, or if you’re a bloke to be ripped, to be willing to go around filming yourself, to say stupid things like “this is such a vibe!!”. I seen one idiot who films himself, and he goes to Starbucks at least every day and raves about it being the most amazing coffee when he has it. Then he approached them to see if they would collab and they basically told him to f$ck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

I have figured it all out.

These people have always been around. Young beautiful talentless people selling us stuff. There were people who tried and failed at this career through the decades. Its just that now with the internet we see the failed ones and the successful ones. We never seen the failed ones before now.

With the power of the internet the failed ones can pretend they are successful even when they arnt.
    If you work all year and all you have to show for it is massive credit card debt and a few pairs of free designer shoes you arnt an influencer you are a chancer.

Seen a girl sitting on the Luas tracks the other day while a pro camera lady took pictures of her. Nice enough looking girl, would need to lose about a stone or two to be a magazine model though, photoshop will sort that id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I have figured it all out.

These people have always been around. Young beautiful talentless people selling us stuff. There were people who tried and failed at this career through the decades. Its just that now with the internet we see the failed ones and the successful ones. We never seen the failed ones before now.

With the power of the internet the failed ones can pretend they are successful even when they arnt.
    If you work all year and all you have to show for it is massive credit card debt and a few pairs of free designer shoes you arnt an influencer you are a chancer.

Seen a girl sitting on the Luas tracks the other day while a pro camera lady took pictures of her. Nice enough looking girl, would need to lose about a stone or two to be a magazine model though, photoshop will sort that id imagine.

Don't hold back whatever ya do.

Don't hold back whatever ya do.

Had you read through 37 pages on tattle.com that wouldn't even register with you..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Had you read through 37 pages on tattle.com that wouldn't even register with you..

No, I've a fair idea what it's like and that kind of talk is not my vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I quite like Maura Higgins and fair play to her. She's can't be blamed for taking advantage of the opportunities she got. I wouldn't class her as an influencer at all, she's just a standard reality TV dervived celebrity from what little I know of her. I don't think she's writing to establishments expecting free bed and board and the rest in return for mentions and likes on YouTubes and #Insta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

That's a very good article. You did warn it was a long read, I should have made tea before I started it.

Sorry, yeah, it is long. But so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I didn't read the whole thread but someone asked if women find Alison Spittle funny.
    I'm a woman and I find her about as funny as a wallop around the chops, but it has nothing to do with her gender.
    I also don't find Ed Byrne or Jason Byrne funny.

I’d highly recommend this article about a group of Australian influencers. One of the best long-form articles I’ve ever read. Lots of shade thrown, both subtle and not so subtle.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2019/07/the-coast-of-utopia-surfer-moms-instagram-influencers/amp

That is a very interesting read, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

fussyonion wrote: »
    I didn't read the whole thread but someone asked if women find Alison Spittle funny.
    I'm a woman and I find her about as funny as a wallop around the chops.

You’re obviously an angry man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

My friend saw a woman on the beach arranging and rearranging her children for an eternity to get the right shot. The kids were getting really hacked off with it - they just wanted to play and be kids.

That stuff is utterly toxic! People trying to show how openminded they are with their "fair play" etc, you may mean well (or not - could simply be contrarianism, I believe that's common on the internet): just no. I accept it's happening, I can easily avoid it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to say it's fine.

And comparing it with online discussion of current events, societal concerns? Apples and oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

My friend saw a woman on the beach arranging and rearranging her children for an eternity to get the right shot. The kids were getting really hacked off with it - they just wanted to play and be kids.

That stuff is utterly toxic!
    Just ICYMI

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭banie01

fussyonion wrote: »
    I'm a woman and I find her about as funny as a wallop around the chops, but it has nothing to do with her gender.
    I also don't find Ed Byrne or Jason Byrne funny.

Male, but as is stereotypical of my gender (apparently)
    Once the novelty of the cork lilt wears off, she's not funny.

There are some exceptional Irish funny ladies, Aisling Bea and Deirdre O'Kane spring to mind immediately.
    It's not a women aren't funny thing.
    Comedy is wholly subjective but in my own sexist opinion, using Spittle and other comics as "evidence" that female comics are victims of patriarchy or sexism is a poor argument IMO.

There are many, many comics active at the moment who are funny, female and Irish.
    It's just that a cohort of poor ones are being pushed as the funny faces, when they ain't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

In general I find comedians funnier than comediennes but it gets said that women are never funny/can't ever be funny. Obviously nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So much "nastiness" directed at "females" trying to "earn" a "living", I'm "running" out of "inverted commas" have you "got" any.

It's honestly like this at times with the quotaion marks

RewardingSlimIbadanmalimbe-max-1mb.gif

banie01 wrote: »
    Male, but as is stereotypical of my gender (apparently)
    Once the novelty of the cork lilt wears off, she's not funny.

There are some exceptional Irish funny ladies, Aisling Bea and Deirdre O'Kane spring to mind immediately.
    It's not a women aren't funny thing.
    Comedy is wholly subjective but in my own sexist opinion, using Spittle and other comics as "evidence" that female comics are victims of patriarchy or sexism is a poor argument IMO.

There are many, many comics active at the moment who are funny, female and Irish.
    It's just that a cohort of poor ones are being pushed as the funny faces, when they ain't!

I don’t really watch stand up, but I find Deirdre o’Kane painful to listen to. When she was presenting the 6 o’clock show she was very poor, she wasn’t able to engage with guests, everything she says was about herself and she was terrible reading the auto-prompt. She was basically the complete opposite to Muireann who has that gig now and is fantastic at it. I imagine her (DOK) standup is very planned out and rehearsed, she wouldn’t be great at spontaneous comedy. I didn’t watch much of moone boy but she was meant to be good in that and the Noble movie she did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I don’t really watch stand up, but I find Deirdre o’Kane painful to listen to. When she was presenting the 6 o’clock show she was very poor, she wasn’t able to engage with guests, everything she says was about herself and she was terrible reading the auto-prompt. She was basically the complete opposite to Muireann who has that gig now and is fantastic at it. I imagine her (DOK) standup is very planned out and rehearsed, she wouldn’t be great at spontaneous comedy. I didn’t watch much of moone boy but she was meant to be good in that and the Noble movie she did.

Her voice over work is appalling too, the radio ad she did for some appliance company was ironically the final nail in their coffin.

Advertisement