Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Conditions Tuesday night/ Wednesday (Wind gusts from 100km/hr to 140km/hr)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Just showed on sky news there they had winds up to 125mph in norway

Yes i was flicking through the channels earlier and i saw some devastation in Norway. Roofs off building, over turned cars, Containers blown off ships in dock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Scandinavian storm was called Dagmar.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-27/dagmar-s-hurricane-winds-cut-power-to-170-000-people-in-nordic-countries.html
    Storm Brings Damage Across Nordic Region
    By Kati Pohjanpalo -

The storm Dagmar lashed the Nordic countries with Hurricane-strength winds, cutting power and Norwegian natural-gas exports as it damaged buildings, shut roads and halted train traffic.

About 264,500 homes in Finland, Sweden and Norway were without electricity as utilities such as Vattenfall AB worked to restore power after the storm yesterday toppled trees and damaged lines, according to estimates today by companies and grid operators.

In Finland, the number of those blacked out has increased as winds have picked up again, leaving 190,500 customers at Fortum Oyj (FUM1V), Vattenfall and Savon Voima Oyj without electricity, the utilities said. Some failures may last for days, Fortum said. In Sweden, about 44,000 homes were without power as of 2:33 p.m., according to a compilation from the three-largest utilities, including Vattenfall and EON AG.

The storm is causing the worst outages since the Janika storm in November 2001, said Heini Kuusela-Opas, a spokeswoman for Vattenfall in Finland, by phone today.
    Ormen Lange Halt

About 30,000 homes were without power in Norway as of 2 p.m., grid operator Statnett SF said in a statement. Statoil ASA (STL), Norway’s largest oil company, reduced staffing on its offshore oil platforms over the weekend while maintaining production, Stavanger Aftenblad reported yesterday, citing Baard Glad Pedersen, a company spokesman.

Royal Dutch Shell Plc (RDSA)’s Ormen Lange natural gas field was operating at 50 megawatt power out of a capacity of 200 megawatts, the Nord Pool power exchange said late yesterday in a statement, citing grid disruptions. A Shell spokesman, who declined to be identified by name, said by phone today that the company is now increasing gas exports after a halt.

The highest average wind measured in Norway was 44.6 meters per second (100 miles per hour), with gusts reaching 64.7 meters per second, Norway’s Meteorological Institute said. All measuring stations had winds peaking at more than 32 meters per second, or hurricane strength, the institute said. Gusts exceeded 30 meters per second at the Helsinki-Vantaa airport yesterday, the Finnish Meteorological Institute said.
    Trains Canceled

Finns in the southeastern and southern parts of the country, including the capital Helsinki, were told by the police to stay indoors during the storm. In Sweden, train traffic in the middle and northern parts of the country was halted and smaller, local roads were temporarily closed.

Train traffic in much of northern Sweden was expected to restart earlier today after being canceled on Christmas Day, according to the Swedish Transport Administration. Buses are replacing some train traffic in Finland, train operator VR said.

Fortum will pay as much as 700 euros ($915) in compensation to each customer who has been without power for 12 hours or more, the company said. It has also moved workers from less affected areas to help fix the damage.

Vattenfall expects to pay as much as 900 kronor ($131) in compensation for Swedish customers with a failure of 12 hours to 24 hours, said Magnus Kryssare, a spokesman at the Stockholm- based utility.
    Cost Estimates

About 500 damage claims have been filed to Norwegian insurers, a number that will probably rise “significantly” in coming weeks, Finance Norway, which coordinates claims from natural disasters, said in a statement yesterday. Claims will probably exceed the 275 million kroner ($46 million) paid after the storm Berit, Tonje Westby, the group’s spokeswoman, said in the statement. Storm-related claims may top 1 billion kroner this year, the most since 1995, she said.

Finnish insurers are compiling cost estimates, Risto Karhunen, head of loss prevention and security at the Federation of Finnish Financial Services, said by phone. Yesterday’s storm may have caused extensive damage because it covered the entire southern part of the country, he said. In comparison, four local storms in 2010 caused insurers to pay out about 100 million euros in claims, he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Met Eireann Update

Tonight

A clearance to occasional rain or hail showers will follow and it will become much colder as the rain clears. It will become extremely windy overnight with stormy conditions developing in northern and northwestern parts by morning. Lowest temperatures of 2 to 5 degrees but two windy for frost.

Tomorrow

It will be stormy tomorrow through many parts of Connacht, Ulster and north Leinster, with severe and damaging gusts of 110 to 140km/hr in exposed places( strongest on northern coasts). Winds should not be as severe further south but still very windy and squally. A cold, bright day with some sunny spells but widespread rain and hail showers and local thunder especially in the west and north. Top afternoon temperatures of just 5 to 7 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Nice and stormy here already off the NW coast of Donegal, first time in a few years I'm at home for a decent storm so looking forward to tomorrow, will probably take a drive up to the cliffs if its not too bad

The storm is called Robert. NB NB NB NB NOT BOB!!! NB NB NB NB . Robert! :)

anabwkna.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The rain is just starting here in galway looks really heavy on the radar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The storm centre is actually around 100 miles further north than the ECMWF had progged it at 18Z, in the LFQ of a small 60 m/s jet streak. We could see this deepen a little more and remain on a more northerly track, taking the strongest winds with it.

Go to Satreponline and play with the pseudo WV and IR images (as forecast by the model), overlaying them with the actual images. This shows the actual images to be a little north of the forecast.

Airmass RGB with ECMWF forecast overlay, showing the low centre to the north of the model forecast.

186395.PNG

Might overrun the forecast NE track and give us westerlies not north westerlies later tomorrow and thursday......so less graupel and quicker return to Heatwave, yahhhay! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bleugh really nasty out there now. Pull the blanket over the head stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Pat Clarke on Late forecast,winds gusting generally 60km/hr and up to 135kmh/hr in Hilly and Exposed parts of W/Nwest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

No upgrades on the 18z runs anyway.

All eyes on Malin Head, again, tomorrow:
    186428.png

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I'm heading up to Malin Head myself tomorrow! I'm actually off work for a change so I'm going to make the most of it. Video footage will be got as well.

Any rough ideas of peak winds?

Any rough ideas of peak winds?

Consensus seems to have peak winds around noon or shortly after but likely to remain gusty up there until late afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Tyler, would expect the strongest winds to set in around 0700-0800 and last beyond 1300h before letting up, so peak winds likely to be about 1000-1100 and in the vicinity of 45 knots gusting to 70. The gradient decreases sharply just to the south of mid-Donegal and I expect we may hear reports of about 50-60 knots from some of our weather watchers but only 40-50 knots in Mayo and other more exposed locations. This really almost misses Ireland except for the Inishowen and nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Thanks guys, looks like I'll be leaving here pretty early in the morning then :)

Tell ya what MT. I reckon today ( Weds) won't be much worse than Monday was...as in perhaps 10-15%% higher and the monday peak gust in Malin was 56KT....meaning around 64-65KT max today. My 2c anyway.

Mondays gusts did not even get their own thread ....sure why would you when a snow bunny thread out on FI looks so funky instead. :cool:

Sponge Bob wrote: »

sure why would you when a snow bunny thread out on FI looks so funky instead. :cool:

Embrace the snow bunny SB:

186436.PNG

and make your peace.

Embrace the snow bunny SB: and make your peace.
    flamethrower.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Strong winds with heavy horizontal blowing rain & hail here, had a scary experience driving home an hour ago driving straight into the rain, had to pull over it was that bad with visibility down to a few metres.

On Arranmore Island here so probably similar conditions to Malin Head, shame I have no weather station

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Extremely windy here now with vicious squally rain showers. Just in from work. Water very high along coast here and not high tide (4.1m) for 2 more hours. Noticeable drop in temp too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Went to bed at 12 last night, one of the stillest nights we've had for some time, not a breath of wind. Expected to wake up to a raging howling wind, but nothing here, barely a breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

I had planned to walk up the sugar loaf in co Wicklow today... Reckon this storm will have dissipated on the east coast by late morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

I was woken up at 03:15 by a strong gust and again around 05:20 . anyone get a grab of the hourly summary's from Met.ie?

seems to have eased off a little now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

46 gust 68 kts at Malin Head at 10 am. How you doing up there Tyler??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

johnfás wrote: »
    I had planned to walk up the sugar loaf in co Wicklow today... Reckon this storm will have dissipated on the east coast by late morning?

Storm? :pac::pac::pac:

Eh..no...the breeze will abate late; stay away from the Sugar Loaf.

I see Casement reporting a gust of 33 knots and Dub Airport 38 knots yet my anemometer only registered 27 knots.

What are the Met Eireann guys doing wrong? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Wild Bill wrote: »
    I see Casement reporting a gust of 33 knots and Dub Airport 38 knots yet my anemometer only registered 27 knots.

What are the Met Eireann guys doing wrong? :cool:

Is your anemometer 10 metres high?

My own for example at the moment is just 4 metres high so would not register the full effects.

Just to add the highest gust I registered was 34 knots at 5:29am.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Min wrote: »

My own for example at the moment is just 4 metres high so would not register the full effects.

Just to add the highest gust I registered was 34 knots at 5:29am.

same as, i registered 23 knot gust at 6am, (but i know my anenometer isnt in a good position so thats pretty windy for where it is)

Min wrote: »

'fraid not - it is at a vertically challenged 3m agl.

That was a fine gust for Kilkenny - though I note you are 220m asl compared to my lowly 125.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Very Stormy day indeed here on the west coast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement