Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Conditions Tuesday night/ Wednesday (Wind gusts from 100km/hr to 140km/hr)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Touched 70 mph in a very heavy rain shower here in Galway around 11 am, cant post it as its not a PC station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Malin Head's 12z synop reported a maximum mean wind of 24 m/s (47 knots ish) within the previous hour. South Uist Range, in the Hebrides, reported 46 gust 62 knots.

ECMWF agrees very well with observations.

186471.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Touched 70 mph in a very heavy rain shower here in Galway around 11 am, cant post it as its not a PC station.

I think you need to check to see if your anemometer is faulty because it is obviously over-reading big tiime. Highest gust at NUI (on top of concourse tower) was just 42mph at 10am:

186480.png

If you are living on an exposed rock out on the west coast of Connemara though then fair enough as Mace Head recorded a max gust 65mph at 10am

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Never made it this morning to Malin Head as I was scared incase the bridge in Derry got closed as it would be chaos getting back again!!

However, hit the North Coast instead at Portrush and by god it was windy up there!

I'm about 19 stone, and I could barley stand the wind was that strong, I have video footage which I will upload later this afternoon.

I'm going back out now down to the edge of Lough Foyle to get some more footage of the winds.

Winds easing now at Malin Head, 36 gust 55 knots at 3 pm.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Casement 36 knots; Airport 41 knots - gusts still topping out here (@3m) at a miserable 27 knots.

Maybe I have it stuck in the wrong gear?

ASCAT pass at 1820 yesterday, showing some 60 knot vectors in the southeastern quadrant.

Ship Atlantic concert was reporting 10 metre swell near that area earlier in the day.

186482.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Casement 36 knots; Airport 41 knots - gusts still topping out here (@3m) at a miserable 27 knots.

Maybe I have it stuck in the wrong gear?

Took a flight from Dublin this morning - got airborne in record time thanks to the strong headwind. Strangely enough not much chop once up in the air, though you could hear the roar of the wind.

Su Campu wrote: »
    Winds easing now at Malin Head, 36 gust 55 knots at 3 pm.

Mean up by one knot on 4pm reports (37), with high gust down by one knot (54) on 4pm reports. Pressure gradient actually tightened by 2.0 mb between Malin and Belmullet in the last hour as well but sustaining between Malin and Finner. Mace Head still reporting gales and unusually, continues to report higher mean wind speeds than Belmullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just had some crazy gusts here with very heavy hailstones. Dangerous condition's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

I'm in Belmullet for the Christmas holidays. It was very stormy early this morning. It's not as bad now but there are still some very strong gusts with the showers. I'm just back from a trip to Ballyglass lighthouse. The sea is very violent today. I took some photos and video and will upload later today once I get better internet access.

Mean up by one knot on 4pm reports (37), with high gust down by one knot (54) on 4pm reports. Pressure gradient actually tightened by 2.0 mb between Malin and Belmullet in the last hour as well but sustaining between Malin and Finner. Mace Head still reporting gales and unusually, continues to report higher mean wind speeds than Belmullet.

I think it's just Mace head's exposure, right on the coast.

Sligo Airport, which is also right on the coast, is reporting 29 gust 40 kts.

High gust of 60 kt at Malin on 5pm reports whilst Mace Head grabs a 56, but mean speed dropping a little at both stations.

A gust of 79mph was recorded at Derry's Eglinton Airport, 1mph higher than a gust logged at 10:00 GMT at Malin Head

Taken from BBC News.

Where can I find out information from the airport?

Taken from BBC News.

Where can I find out information from the airport?

Here.

42 gust 67 knots at 1120 this morning.

Here.

42 gust 67 knots at 1120 this morning.

58 gust 69 knots at 13:20 that must have been around the time everything blew over on my street!

11.5 meter waves reported at the 62105 buoy to the west of Donegal this afternoon.

[SIZE=-1]BBXX 62105 28144 99554 70121 46/// /3034 10086 20046 40162 53048
    22200 00106 11223 70115
    333 90710 91155=[/SIZE]

58 gust 69 knots at 13:20 that must have been around the time everything blew over on my street!

Jays I missed that one, that's some wind alright! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

mad hail here just now and a flash of lightning, there was a shower of wet snow about an hour ago , pretty wild out there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Really bad here at the moment with heavy sleet and there are even snowflakes being dragged down with the gusts. Looks like a Blizzard at times :).
    Ground partially white now from hail/sleet
    Hail ball anyone...
    4oTLdl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

58 knots sustained? Not too far off a category 1 hurricane! Derry airport isn't in an overly exposed area either

I never made it up to the cliffs earlier, was planning on going but had some visitors and it was too dark afterwards, very rough sea's here though all day

Yeah the airport would be at sea level but would be sheltered eitherside by the Inishowen Mountains, and the hills of Eglinton.

The same time that, that was recorded the Christmas tree in Eglinton snapped in half!

I'm just rendering my video now in Sony Vegas and will hopefully have it uploaded within the hour!

I'm just rendering my video now in Sony Vegas and will hopefully have it uploaded within the hour!

Looking forward to seeing it Tyler, Can't remember the last time we had a decent bit of wind here in east Galway.

Mean windspeed at Malin up to 38 kts on the 6pm reports but decreasing elsewhere.

Graph showing hourly high gusts at Malin Head and Mace Head between 8am and 6pm today:

186505.PNG

I had Belmullet data included in the chart also but had to delete it as it the graph was very cluttered looking. Peak gust speeds at both Malin & Mace occurred at 10 am followed by a general decline before picking up a litte again during the late afternoon.

Looking forward to seeing it Tyler, Can't remember the last time we had a decent bit of wind here in east Galway.

Mean windspeed at Malin up to 38 kts on the 6pm reports but decreasing elsewhere.

I had Belmullet data included in the chart also but had to delete it as it the graph was very cluttered looking. Peak gust speeds at both Malin & Mace occurred at 10 am followed by a general decline before picking up a litte again during the late afternoon.

The Malin 18Z synop reported maximum MEAN winds of 22 m/s (42-43 knots) within the previous hour. Still blustery up there.

[SIZE=-1]AAXX 28181[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]03980 17657 /3020 10068 20031 30114 40139 52052 60042 71085 86///
    333 10085 86/31 86/50 90710 91129 91222=[/SIZE]

I was just looking at some of the readings from Christmas Day's storm Dagmar that caused destruction in Norway. Kråkenes Lighthouse (40 m) recorded an incredible 86 knot sustained wind, with gust to 103 knots, on Christmas evening before the anenometer was vaporised! A few other stations along the coast also lost their anemometers around then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

an incredible 86 knot sustained wind, with gust to 103 knots, on Christmas evening before the anenometer was vaporised!

103 knots......that's 120mph and 195 kph :eek:

Here's my footage from earlier today along the North Coast at Portstewart and Portrush.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Here's my footage from earlier today along the North Coast at Portstewart and Portrush.

I cant get over the size of some of the waves :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

YOU CALL THOSE WAVES?!?.............. Meh!

ZIS IS A WAVE!!!

[IMG]http://www.lovethesepics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Stormy-weather-and-rough-seas-at-Roker-Lighthouse-©-Gail-Johnson.jpg[/IMG]

:rolleyes: :pac: :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement