Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Body failing me or wrong technique?

• 24-05-2019 8:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭

I am overweight but have played sports before and have tried going to the gym etc.

I have tried squatting but I feel the pressure in my knees a lot and I am unable to get it in a way that I don't feel the pressure in my knees. I have looked at the videos and I try my best to replicate it but I always feel like I lean forward a bit or else I'll fall backwards. Even just bodyweight squats.

Then I cycled yesterday and noticed by knees were hot afterwards. I have always had knees that are "squeaky", i.e I can hear them like a hinge moving. But how can you cycle a bike wrong? Bike shop set the saddle height too.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

Lifting shoes will go some way in assisting your technique. Failing that small weights (2.5kg plates or smaller) under your heels to raise them up. Also are you warming up sufficiently? Lots of exercises on youtube you can follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I am overweight but have played sports before and have tried going to the gym etc.

I have tried squatting but I feel the pressure in my knees a lot and I am unable to get it in a way that I don't feel the pressure in my knees. I have looked at the videos and I try my best to replicate it but I always feel like I lean forward a bit or else I'll fall backwards. Even just bodyweight squats.

Then I cycled yesterday and noticed by knees were hot afterwards. I have always had knees that are "squeaky", i.e I can hear them like a hinge moving. But how can you cycle a bike wrong? Bike shop set the saddle height too.

Thoughts?

It sounds like you have technique issues when it comes to squatting. If you intent to squat, then go to a good trainer and have that addressed.

My knees pop lile bubble wrap if I squat down without any weight but it isn't an issue in and of itself.

We're your knees just 'hot' or sore?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

It sounds like you have technique issues when it comes to squatting. If you intent to squat, then go to a good trainer and have that addressed.

My knees pop lile bubble wrap if I squat down without any weight but it isn't an issue in and of itself.

We're your knees just 'hot' or sore?

They were hot. They don't hurt at all. It's just I feel the pressur in my knees when I squat. Same when I cycle a bike and I don't think theres a wrong way of cycling a bike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Thoughts?

Squatting: what’s you hip mobility like? Do you have tight hamstrings?

Cycling: the bike shop probably eyeballed the saddle height. Did they use any measurement equipment, your knee angle should be measured at the bottom of the pedal stroke using a protractor. If this wasn’t done your saddle heigh could be wrong. Are you using clipless pedals? If not you are probably putting your feet on the wrong part of the pedal and throwing off your technique. It’s actually easy to cycle a bike “wrong”, especially if you haven’t done it in a while and have mobility issues.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Brian? wrote: »
    Squatting: what’s you hip mobility like? Do you have tight hamstrings?

Cycling: the bike shop probably eyeballed the saddle height. Did they use any measurement equipment, your knee angle should be measured at the bottom of the pedal stroke using a protractor. If this wasn’t done your saddle heigh could be wrong. Are you using clipless pedals? If not you are probably putting your feet on the wrong part of the pedal and throwing off your technique. It’s actually easy to cycle a bike “wrong”, especially if you haven’t done it in a while and have mobility issues.

They did eyeball it.

Yes I'm just pedalling normally with runners. I'll check out what angle it should be at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement