Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sticking a bathroom into a pre-existing concrete shed?

Options
  • 18-05-2019 3:36pm

Howdy folks.

Just looking to see if anyone can tell me if what I'm looking to do is effectively a straight-forward, quick and easy job, or a big construction undertaking?

Effectively, I have a garage. It's about 15x25ft in size. It's got electricity, and I use it to park the car in. I want to stick a sink into it, and figure whilst I'm doing it, may aswell go the whole hog and put a full 'en-suite' style bathroom in there with a toilet and shower. I figure there's no point in half-doing it if I'm gonna start messing with the plumbing.

(my thinking is if I change my mind, I can always remove the bathroom, but at least the plumbing will be there to put a bathroom back in if ever it's needed, so may aswell plumb for everything at the one time).

Mains water is readily-accessible from the neighbours garden (it feeds an outdoor tap in my garden, and the pipe is actually visible up the wall, so i presume would simple be a case of T-junctioning off it to run a new pipe carrying fresh water to the shed?

As far as I am aware, our waste water pipes also run from our house, up the garden, underneath the shed (where i want to stick the bathroom) and out into the public area. So again, i'm just wondering out loud here, if this makes the job a little bit easier as I am very close to the pipework required (ie; I don't have to dig trenches along a whole garden etc. or lift a full patio or the likes)?

I have a drone, but it's raining at the moment. If it stops I'll try get an aerial pic of the garden/house and outline where the pipes run, etc. and the location I hope to stick the bathroom in.

But just wanted to see if anyone's done this before and how they got on financially? (theres a window where the proposed bathroom would go on the garage, so i wouldn't need to get involved with adding extractor fans or such for a shower). Shower would need to be an electric one, I believe, in order to heat the water.

Also, silly question, but we have a combi boiler in the house - I imagine the thoughts of getting that to heat water in the garage, or a radiator in the garage, etc. would be megabucks as the piping would need to run the full length of the garden? I mean actual garden costs aside, I presume a plumber would want serious money, and would the boiler be efficient at heating the garage/water if it has to travel 30-40ft up a garden first?)

Sorry for the rambling message. :o

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

Electricity will not be strong enough for a shower, you'll need new supply directly off your household meter to the shower.
    You cannot use your neighbors water.

Check if you can use a water mains fed shower in your area.

Nothings cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The answer is yes it can be done, but I see some potential issues with the plan.
    First with the instant hot water shower.
    You will need to be able to get the electrical supply for it directly from the main house fuse board because it cannot be connected into any other circuit. Given that the shed is detached, the cable needs to be correctly sized for the distance and fully weather protected. This can only be done by a Registered Electrical Contractor.
    The water supply being mains, then you need a mains fed shower unit e.g. Triton T.80.
    However, manufacturers require that there is a minimum water pressure and flow rate available for the shower unit when water is used elsewhere.
    As a rule of thumb, the supply at the shower should still meet the manufacturers minimum water requirements when the cold kitchen tap is opened and flowing at maximum.
    Plus, you really shouldn't be using your neighbours water, which could become more of an issue if metering happens.
    Drainage, from what you described, should be relatively straightforward, depending how deep you need to go to access the drains via a new Armstrong Junction (A.J.) and if you're digging through concrete or earth.
    After that, a basic shower tray, doors, w.c., sink and some tiles would be adequate.
    Costs will depend on your own skills and how much of it you can do yourself.
    You should start by getting an Electrician to give you a costing to get the supply for the shower from the fuseboard out to the shed and fitting the shower, because if that can't be done, or it blows the budget, the rest is irrelevant.
    Getting contractors in to do everything, I would imagine its going to be easily a few thousand euro, if not more, given that a standard supply and fit for only the instant hot water shower unit installed inside a typical house is somewhere between 700 - 800 euro.

Howdy do folks. Just some quick replies to clarify things:

The neighbours garden is actually our mains water. Due to a bit of an error during building an extension and renovating the garden, we paved the whole place and left my mains water pipe in next doors garden (for the building of the extension etc. we knocked the back garden wall between the two houses, which is what caused this issue to occur). This effectively means I've no stopcock that's easily accessible, but i hope that if I'm digging up the garden for this project, I can return it back to it's rightful place (my garden).

The point I was more trying to make was that the actual mains supply is easy to access, though.

The garage was originally built to be a workshop for my brother who set out as self employed. It got wired up and has it's own fuseboard (albeit it does piggy-back off the main board in the house). It had hard-wired transformers and such for table saws, but brother's business was badly timed with the recession and it never really seen much use as a workshop. But I believe the wiring that's there is decent enough. The wire going from the house to the shed is about 1" diameter?

I messaged an electrician that worked here before, and although he was in the shed, he was only in it once or twice so wouldn't expect him to remember it vividly. He asked about whether there's a fuseboard or not. I also have 3 lights in the garage, that are all operated together (ie; all on or off at the same time). I need electrician to move these around and make them independent (so the bathroom can have it's own light, for example, rather than an all-or-nothing approach). He reckons I'd spend under €500 to do the lights and the shower. But again, he said that's ball park and he'd have to revise it when he actually sees the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It would be far more satisfactory and legal to take cold water from the distribution system in the house and run it to the garage. It would be a small bit more trouble and expense to do it but wold save a lot of bother. If you plumb the garage with mains water, it means that when the plumbing in the garage is used the house will be starved of mains water. You are also only allowed take one tap from the mains before it reaches the storage tank. You are already in breach of this and you shouldn't make it worse. You will also have a much more reliable shower if you use stored water. If you put in a mains shower into the existing set up, it will be stared whenever the outside tap is turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

You are also only allowed take one tap from the mains before it reaches the storage tank. You are already in breach of this and you shouldn't make it worse.

Do you mean one additional tap from the mains?
    Most outside taps, I have seen, are taken from the mains supply below the kitchen tap. Is that against refs?

• Advertisement

Cerco wrote: »
    Do you mean one additional tap from the mains?
    Most outside taps, I have seen, are taken from the mains supply below the kitchen tap. Is that against refs?

You are allowed a cold tap in the kitchen, then the storage tank. There are no additional taps allowed and feeding an outside tap is against regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

You are allowed a cold tap in the kitchen, then the storage tank. There are no additional taps allowed and feeding an outside tap is against regs.

Really? Why is that?
    What about other connections to mains, showers, washing machines etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

Just a general observation - unless you plan to convert the workshop into chalet/flat in the future I would advise to just fit a toilet & small sink/WHB in a corner - you can connect toilet directly to existing tap or fit a storage tank in attic above toilet. Walls can be stud partition type easy removed later if you change plans.
    Generally speaking sheds, workshops etc. are cold, draughty and sometimes damp and with our mostly dreary climate the chances of the shower/bath ever being used are slim. It's totally different in say the likes of Spain where some have outdoor showers and a climate to match!

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Really? Why is that?
    What about other connections to mains, showers, washing machines etc.

The rules are the rules. I don't make them.

It would be far more satisfactory and legal to take cold water from the distribution system in the house and run it to the garage. It would be a small bit more trouble and expense to do it but wold save a lot of bother. If you plumb the garage with mains water, it means that when the plumbing in the garage is used the house will be starved of mains water. You are also only allowed take one tap from the mains before it reaches the storage tank. You are already in breach of this and you shouldn't make it worse. You will also have a much more reliable shower if you use stored water. If you put in a mains shower into the existing set up, it will be stared whenever the outside tap is turned on.

Yeah - the water is shared. So if two water sources are turned on, they share the pressure (ie; turn on everything at once, and everyone just gets dribbles of water).

Our entire downstairs is mains fed as far as I am aware (sink in kitchen, sink/toilet/shower in new bathroom extension, and outdoor garden tap). We have an upstairs bathroom that is fed from a storage tank.

However, SEAI inspected my set up and passed it in order for me to get a grant (I'm unsure if they actually cared about that kinda stuff, but they never mentioned it). Grant was for the boiler, but they did fail it initially on a leaky radiator that had nothing to do with the actual boiler installation, so I presume they checked peripheral regulations, too.

My plumber at the time, who is registered/certified/etc (not a back alley cash-in-hand effort) said I could remove the water storage tank and bypass it altogether if I wanted to, but advised against it on the grounds of being without any water in the event of a water outage in the area (I was asking him about this as I planned to convert the attic, where the storage tank is, before realising the attic space was too low to convert, resulting in me keeping the storage tank).

• Advertisement

monseiur wrote: »
    Just a general observation - unless you plan to convert the workshop into chalet/flat in the future I would advise to just fit a toilet & small sink/WHB in a corner - you can connect toilet directly to existing tap or fit a storage tank in attic above toilet. Walls can be stud partition type easy removed later if you change plans.
    Generally speaking sheds, workshops etc. are cold, draughty and sometimes damp and with our mostly dreary climate the chances of the shower/bath ever being used are slim. It's totally different in say the likes of Spain where some have outdoor showers and a climate to match!

To be honest, this has been in my head since this discussion took place (about plumbing the shed, which already has electricity). i use it as a garage and a bit of a hobby space. The idea of turning it into a 'granny flat' of sorts has been sitting in my head.

I don't think it'd cost much, and although i'd never rent it out, or actually live in it, it seems like a great idea for people staying over, or if i just wanted a bit of privacy (has it's own access point that doesn't need you to go through the house).

If I plumbed in the shed, then the rest is just partition walls, really, to add a bedroom or storage room or whatever.

I'm half afraid of mentioning that on here though, for fear of being beaten with a book of regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

Don't ask a question unless you want an answer :)

As mentioned before, you'll need an independent electrical supply from your house fuse board for the shower. Wait till your electrician has had a look and get back to us.

We're actually trying to help you with free information.

Tom44 wrote: »
    Don't ask a question unless you want an answer :)

As mentioned before, you'll need an independent electrical supply from your house fuse board for the shower. Wait till your electrician has had a look and get back to us.

We're actually trying to help you with free information.

I'm always happy to get an answer, and I enjoy discussing these things. I'm also someone who enjoys the practical side of DIY, albeit with very limited knowledge of many things.

I just dislike when a thread gets immediately derailed with a 'well, the regulations say' talk. I'd never go for planning permission on this as I'd never get it, and I'd be jumping through hoops to have what is effectively a comfortable, insulated shed.

The plan is to convert it to a living space. However, I tried to skirt around actually saying that, as I don't want a ten-page thread discussing the planning laws and regulations :o:p.

If a qualified plumber and electrician, and a registered, above-board and trusted builder are all willing to work on it, and give it a thumbs up, then that's good enough for me. :)

(and that's not me trying to be snarky to anyone on here. I appreciate in many situations the regulations are extremely important for people to adhere to).

Anyway - It's still early days. I've gotten a quote from the electrician of €300, albeit it doesn't cover the whole aspect of his work, and he'll leave the place in need of re-plastering/patching up, which will cost money. Plumber and builder have yet to visit and throw figures at me. So until I get those two figures, I'll not be able to decide whether or not I will go ahead with it.

Plan is to turn a shed, that's approximately 14ft x 30ft, from a large single room (garage) into a partitioned shed, with a bathroom, bedroom and small storage room. Plumber said it's possible for my current boiler to heat it (radiators) and heat the water (which will remove the need for an electric shower, thankfully), builder says it's certainly capable of being plumbed up as the waste water (manhole) is right next to it.

Shed has three lights on two 2-way switches, but all are on or off together. Electrician will alter them to be independent of each other, change their location on the ceiling, and they'll get their own switches (which is what he quoted €300 for, but I reckon it'll be a little trickier than he's suggesting). :)

So now you are going from putting a sink into a shed to creating a granny flat? You are now going from "I figure there's no point in half-doing it if I'm gonna start messing with the plumbing." to cheap-skating?
    The most expensive job is the one that has to be re-done because it wasn't done properly in the first place. Your plans sound like a dogs dinner to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You could get a small combi gas boiler , same type mobile homes have. It’ll use a gas cylinder bottle. And could also run a radiator.

Before getting any quotes form electricians etc. sit down with paper, pen & ruler and draw a sketch of your proposed final lay out. All trades will be able to give you quotes based on a detailed sketch.
    With 14 x 30 you could easily fit a good size bedroom, a toilet, sink & shower plus a kitchen/sitting room area. You may have to change location or existing doors & windows and break our some new window opes. - easily done with kango & con saw. You could pick up new or as new uPVC double glazed windows at small money on the likes of Done Deal, also check with window manufacturers - they have unused stock due being made the wrong size, last minute change of design etc. etc. Once you have the windows you can cut opes. and fit cills to suit. Same applies to kitchen/sitting room - loads of as new sinks, cupboards, wall units, worktops, sofas, tables, chairs etc. available at a fraction of new prices.
    Drop a water storage tank up in the attic space before fitting ceiling - you won't have to worry about size of hatch later !
    Also check with SAEI re. grants for wall & attic insulation etc. They won't be concerned about whether you have planning or not.
    If you are any way handy you could do the bulk of the work yourself and save a packet in the process.........labour is not cheap
    .............and don't even dream about applying for planning permission

So now you are going from putting a sink into a shed to creating a granny flat? You are now going from "I figure there's no point in half-doing it if I'm gonna start messing with the plumbing." to cheap-skating?
    The most expensive job is the one that has to be re-done because it wasn't done properly in the first place. Your plans sound like a dogs dinner to be honest.

I already sketched out several options for layouts. I knew what I wanted to do before I started the thread, I just didn't want to actually say it as I didn't want to go down the planning permission rabbit hole that so few threads survive.

Whilst I'm waiting on people to come around to me and quote, I wanted to make the thread as I figured this would at least give me an idea on the realities of it all (ie; plumbing it up will be the biggest job, and I've no idea what it'll cost).

Before getting any quotes form electricians etc. sit down with paper, pen & ruler and draw a sketch of your proposed final lay out. All trades will be able to give you quotes based on a detailed sketch.
    With 14 x 30 you could easily fit a good size bedroom, a toilet, sink & shower plus a kitchen/sitting room area. You may have to change location or existing doors & windows and break our some new window opes. - easily done with kango & con saw. You could pick up new or as new uPVC double glazed windows at small money on the likes of Done Deal, also check with window manufacturers - they have unused stock due being made the wrong size, last minute change of design etc. etc. Once you have the windows you can cut opes. and fit cills to suit. Same applies to kitchen/sitting room - loads of as new sinks, cupboards, wall units, worktops, sofas, tables, chairs etc. available at a fraction of new prices.
    Drop a water storage tank up in the attic space before fitting ceiling - you won't have to worry about size of hatch later !
    Also check with SAEI re. grants for wall & attic insulation etc. They won't be concerned about whether you have planning or not.
    If you are any way handy you could do the bulk of the work yourself and save a packet in the process.........labour is not cheap
    .............and don't even dream about applying for planning permission

Monseiur gets the idea! :)

The garage was built as a workshop, and then became a home gym, and now is a garage (due to be a granny flat of sorts).

As a result of all the changes, it has 2 windows, a door, and a large roller door. The roller door is the biggest area for loss of heat, but I will be keeping it, as I don't want to change the look of the building from the footpath. I'd rather everyone still just thought it was a garage.

So the plan is to build a partition wall inside the roller door, with a door on it, so it'll be like a draught lobby, but still maintain it's own independent access point.

I need to get water and heating into it. My plumber reckons my current boiler in the house is well capable of supplying the garage without being under pressure, and the builder reckons fitting a bathroom is no bother, either.

However, neither have actually priced it, so I'm still in the middle of a general uncertainty at the moment as to the feasibility of it all.

My hope, is that I can get:

- Bathroom suite supplied, plumbed and tiled.
    - Heating installed (3 radiators and hot water)
    - Partition walls built, slabbed and doors fitted (all likely to be DIY)
    - Walls skimmed (unsure of DIY'ing this or not)
    - Laminate floor down
    - Electrician moving the lights around and giving them their own switches.
    - Walls painted (DIY)

With a budget of about €4k, absolute maximum of €5k. My gut instinct is that simply getting hot water/heating in, and the first fix plumbing/kango-ing for the bathroom (pipes in and out) will set me back about €2k.

Which means I could build the walls and get some rockwool to insulate them (approx €600), purchase the bathroom suite (approx 400), sort the electrician (approx €400), buy a laminate floor (approx €300), and get the bathroom tiles supplied and bathroom suite installed (approx €300) for a budget of roughly €4k.

I have a bag of plaster skim there, but I'm unsure of attempting that as a DIY effort. All my prices are likely optimistic, too, (but you never know).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

A shower off the mains in that set up would be useless. Every time there is a draw in some other part of either house, pressure will drop and the shower will be awful. I certainly wouldn't have it.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    A shower off the mains in that set up would be useless. Every time there is a draw in some other part of either house, pressure will drop and the shower will be awful. I certainly wouldn't have it.

I appreciate the concern, and I have thought about it, however, I can't see it really being an issue, as it's unlikely that two people will be showering at the same time.

Meaning the interruptions you face will likely be limited to a couple of seconds of poor water pressure if someone turns a tap on somewhere else, to fill a kettle, or flushes a toilet. The odds of two people using water at the same time is fairly slim.

For clarity, it's likely there will be one person living in the house, and one in the 'shed' (parent/child).

I appreciate the concern, and I have thought about it, however, I can't see it really being an issue, as it's unlikely that two people will be showering at the same time.

Meaning the interruptions you face will likely be limited to a couple of seconds of poor water pressure if someone turns a tap on somewhere else, to fill a kettle, or flushes a toilet. The odds of two people using water at the same time is fairly slim.

For clarity, it's likely there will be one person living in the house, and one in the 'shed' (parent/child).

Aren't there people next door using the same mains supply as well?

• Advertisement

Aren't there people next door using the same mains supply as well?

Erm.. I doubt it?

I don't know a whole heap about plumbing, but my water has never suffered from pressure loss unless someone in my house used water elsewhere. I've never had the pressure just randomly drop when in the house on my own, so I presume next door is on a completely different setup to mine?

(nor have the neighbours, who I get on very well with, ever complained about their water pressure).

We're a terrace of four houses, so I presume each has it's own connection..

I hope your tenant is happy.

Erm.. I doubt it?

I don't know a whole heap about plumbing, but my water has never suffered from pressure loss unless someone in my house used water elsewhere. I've never had the pressure just randomly drop when in the house on my own, so I presume next door is on a completely different setup to mine?

(nor have the neighbours, who I get on very well with, ever complained about their water pressure).

We're a terrace of four houses, so I presume each has it's own connection..
    I am completely confused. At one stage the mains water was in the neighbours. You don't want the conversion of the garage seen from the front but it is in a terrace.

I hope your tenant is happy.

I will be the tenant. :) And I hope I will be. :)

I am completely confused. At one stage the mains water was in the neighbours. You don't want the conversion of the garage seen from the front but it is in a terrace.

Sorry - I later elaborated - My mains water supply was moved during an extension build. The back garden wall between myself and my neighbour, was knocked, to allow easier access for the build. At the bottom of my garden is a concrete shed, which has access for a car (so i can get into my house from the back or the front, not like most houses nowadays that are built back-to-back).

As an oversight during my house extension/garden renovation, the mains water supply was left 'out of the way' in my neighbours garden. We only noticed at the very end of the project. Neighbour didn't care, and I didn't want to pull up fresh paving to fix it.

So it's the mains supply for my house, but because of the way things went, it's in my neighbours garden, and easily accessible (you can see the pipe).

My garage is at the bottom of my back garden - not at all connected to the house, invisible from the street at the front of my house, however, there is a public green area to the rear of my house (used mostly by delivery companies, people taking shortcuts, bin lorries etc.) and this is the only place my shed can be seen from. It currently looks like a generic garage/shed, and I want to maintain that look.

I'm pretty sure a few of the houses around me have done similar to what I'm hoping to do (perhaps only as a fancy 'garden room' but it's not something I'd ask about as I don't know many of my neighbours well enough to ask. Those I do know well enough haven't done anything over than the usual 'storage shed' in their garden.

I will be the tenant. .

I believe you.

I believe you.

I live in louth. Not dublin city centre. Be a long time before anyone around me is here is badly stuck enough that they'll be looking to rent out a shed. A room in a house is €100 per week here, bills included.

Wouldn't be worth my while bothering. On top of that, imagine going to look at a place, and the owner tells you that your front door is a roller door.. can't imagine it going down too well.. haha.

To ensure constant supply of water fit a 30 Gallon water storage tank in attic, costs about €120.00 Fit a copper cylinder with immersion and if you want a little extra luxury fit a 2 bar Stuart Turner or similar shower pump - not cheap but worth it in the long run. Check with your electrician first in relation to immersion to ensure that your supply is adequate.
    Consider fitting an all glazed patio door just inside your roller shutter door, when closed the roller door will make the building more secure and maintain the ''garage look'' Good heating system and good insulation is vital....needless to say the two are related.

The o/p is doing this on the cheap. If he is happy to run his shower from mains water and he is talking about having a bag of skim coat, I don't think luxury is his priority. He is working to slum landlord standard.

To ensure constant supply of water fit a 30 Gallon water storage tank in attic, costs about €120.00 Fit a copper cylinder with immersion and if you want a little extra luxury fit a 2 bar Stuart Turner or similar shower pump - not cheap but worth it in the long run. Check with your electrician first in relation to immersion to ensure that your supply is adequate.
    Consider fitting an all glazed patio door just inside your roller shutter door, when closed the roller door will make the building more secure and maintain the ''garage look'' Good heating system and good insulation is vital....needless to say the two are related.

The plan is to stick an interior door on a stud wall inside the roller door. I'd like to put a PVC one in, but I don't think I'd be able to fit it myself with the frames and all, so I'd say interior door is my option at the moment.

Plan is to stick some rockwool/earthwool (whatever you prefer to call it) inside all the walls. Won't be an amazing insulator, but better than nothing.

The o/p is doing this on the cheap. If he is happy to run his shower from mains water and he is talking about having a bag of skim coat, I don't think luxury is his priority. He is working to slum landlord standard.

There is truth in this comment, alright.

My shed started out as a work shop, then became a home gym, then was a garage, now is being turned into a living space. I don't really want to spend a whole heap on it because it could all be getting ripped out in a few years if I decide I actually preferred it as one of it's previous guises, or decide i want something different instead.

I picked up a kitchen on the cheap, and I've the wood there to start building walls. I got some doors cheap, etc. the plan is to do this on the smallest of budgets. If I am actually living in it a year from now, then I will look at upgrading as I go along.

However, if in a years time it's never been used and it's sitting idle, then I'll have been glad I didn't spend megabucks on it.

I know there's a notion in the thread that I'm building to rent it out, but that's not the case. It really is just for me (live with parent, and although we get on great, I want my own space/privacy so i can come and go, and have company etc. without having to introduce people to my dad along the way).

My timber and a couple of sheets of plasterboard arrived today, and I got the kitchen units, too. I'm off work til friday, so I'm hoping to make some use of wednesday/thursday and get the stud walls built and hopefully hang the doors. Though I've never done either before in my life, so I'm sure it'll be a disaster from the word go.

Still awaiting builder to get back for quote on getting the drainage/mains in, and the plumber to quote for extending my house boiler into my shed for water/heating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Would you need planning permission to make it a habitable residence?

Advertisement