Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sticking a bathroom into a pre-existing concrete shed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Would you need planning permission to make it a habitable residence?

Of course you would. This thread is a complete piss take. It started off as putting a bathroom into a shed. Now there is a kitchen going in and it is going to be a "granny flat". The o/p doesn't want to introduce his visitors to his dad!! He has no building skills but he is going to create a flat out of a few bits of second hand materials taking the shortest cuts possible. What a joke.

What's with the aggression Claw Hammer? Although I found your post funny and humouros, i'm assuming it wasn't meant that way, and was intended to give out to me?

As an aside, today i built a few stud walls and hung 2 doors. Shockingly, it all seems to be going okay. I didn't order enough timber though, and I've no idea how, because I was 110% i'd ordered more than i needed, so I'll need to get some more in the morning (unfortunately this means cutting it and bringing it in the car, as I would otherwise be waiting days for delivery, and im back to work on friday, so hoping to get the remaining wall and 2 doors hung tomorrow).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

What's with the aggression Claw Hammer? Although I found your post funny and humouros, i'm assuming it wasn't meant that way, and was intended to give out to me?

As an aside, today i built a few stud walls and hung 2 doors. Shockingly, it all seems to be going okay. I didn't order enough timber though, and I've no idea how, because I was 110% i'd ordered more than i needed, so I'll need to get some more in the morning (unfortunately this means cutting it and bringing it in the car, as I would otherwise be waiting days for delivery, and im back to work on friday, so hoping to get the remaining wall and 2 doors hung tomorrow).

You are not even that good at making up lies.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

You are not even that good at making up lies.

MOD NOTE. Please remain civil CH. You have had a couple of posts that are borderline.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Quick progress pic, for clawhammer's benefit:

progpic.jpg

• Advertisement

Quick progress pic, for clawhammer's benefit:

progpic.jpg

MOD NOTE: You've both had a go now, so from here on keep the personalities out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbh. I have no idea how you went from the opening post to that picture in two weeks.

It appears you were being disingenuous about the plans initially when looking for advise.

So it stands to reason people may be a bit miffed by how you keep changing the story.

For me though your wasting money here for no reason. Destroying a perfectly usable work space for a flat that you can't rent so you can shower in your back garden .

Begs belief. Frankly.

I'm going to assume your again not being candid and that you are trying to rent this in the cheap and keep the neighbours out of the loop.

Students I suppose....

Based on my now assumed rental . I think any advise should be framed with regulations in mind

listermint wrote: »
    Tbh. I have no idea how you went from the opening post to that picture in two weeks.

It appears you were being disingenuous about the plans initially when looking for advise.

So it stands to reason people may be a bit miffed by how you keep changing the story.

For me though your wasting money here for no reason. Destroying a perfectly usable work space for a flat that you can't rent so you can shower in your back garden .

Begs belief. Frankly.

I'm going to assume your again not being candid and that you are trying to rent this in the cheap and keep the neighbours out of the loop.

Students I suppose....

Based on my now assumed rental . I think any advise should be framed with regulations in mind
    MOD NOTE: WARNED FOR IGNORING INSTRUCTIONS

listermint wrote: »

Students I suppose....

I'd be wasting my time. Even if I wanted to rent it out, it's not in an area that'd make sense to build it for rental purposes. I'd be a long time waiting for it to pay for itself.

I knew i wanted to make a 'granny flat' of sorts before I ever made this thread. I didn't want to specifically mention it for fear of pages of 'regulations say' kinda posts. If I was building it with the intention of renting, I'd do it properly, as it would probably cost feck all extra and I'd be able to legitimately rent it.

As it stands, it's for my own use, so it doesn't matter if it falls apart (hence the DIY) as I won't be fussed about it.

As an aside, from a 'garage' to the stud walls as per the above pic took 2 days, not two weeks. I'm no DIY expert, but I have a saw, and a stud wall is not a difficult thing to put together. :)

That said, I appreciate that everyone on here will be more than likely just giving out to me, so with that in mind I'll bow out of the thread.

I do appreciate all the information and advice that was given in relation to the plumbing aspect as that's the part that worried/worries me the most - as it may cost an arm and a leg, though hopefully not. Hoping to get some quotes in next week.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. Cheers to everyone who was constructive. Much appreciated. :)

Wearb wrote: »
    MOD NOTE: You've both had a go now, so from here on keep the personalities out of it.

Sorry, just seen this. For clarity (for both yourself and clawhammer) I wasn't trying to have a go at him. I've come across him before on these forums and he seems like a generally helpful chap. I wasn't trying to insult him or anything.

Was legitimately adding the photograph so he could see that I'm not lying to the forum (not sure what the point would be) and perhaps figured it'd lead to some better advice :)

Claw - I most certainly hope there are no hard feelings :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Whatever about the ins and outs, where this might come back to bite you hard is if/when you decide/ need to sell. Or you keel over and someone else is trying to sell etc. The solicitor for the prospective buyer may well be looking for evidence of planning permission. Think of the hassle that could create??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd ditch the flat idea and turn it into a workshop with facilities

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Whatever about the ins and outs, where this might come back to bite you hard is if/when you decide/ need to sell. Or you keel over and someone else is trying to sell etc. The solicitor for the prospective buyer may well be looking for evidence of planning permission. Think of the hassle that could create??

Knock a stud wall or two and it's back to being an empty garage/shed? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭monseiur

A reliable heating system is a must for those long cold damp winter nights, so do not skimp on insulation both in attic & external walls.
    Just slab one side of stud partitions until electrician has done first fix
    Keep an eye on the likes of Done Deal - you can pick up top quality stuff for a fraction of new price if you're patient, have a little trailer (or can borrow one) and willing to travel a bit.
    Consider fitting a little second hand solid fuel stove with glass front in kitchen/sitting room area, as well as heating the room it'll give a warm, cosy homely feeling, no need to build a chimney, a stainless steel flue thru' wall will do.
    Consider fitting a gas cooker in kitchen instead of an electric to ensure that the supply from main residence is not overloaded, also check with electrician before fitting immersion heater. Of course if, by chance, there's no immersion or electric cooker in main residence this will be a big bonus re load etc.
    If you can pick up a good shower pump handy, fit it or leave pipes exposed so it can be fitted later.
    Don't be unduly worried about planning permission, people have built hovels, cottages, big country houses, castles, churches, cathedrals in this country long, long before these planning rules were dreamt up:p.......anyhow it's by far easier to get retention for something that's already in existence than it is to get planning...in other words forgiveness is easier obtained than permission:)

M.

Seen as this is the plumbing and heating forum, I figured I'd ask here if anyone had any advice on this quote i got?

Pretty much, the garden space between the house and shed is approximately 9meters. I wanted to use the gas boiler itself, to power the (3) radiators and a shower/sinks. I have gotten a quote from a plumber that installed my gas boiler, and did radiators in an extension for me. The quote he gave me is approximately 2,500 - 3,000. This seems fairly hefty to me.

Can anyone tell me, am I right to think that's a bit on the high side, or am I being delusional thinking it could have been any cheaper?

(the idea would be that he would run the piping from the boiler to the shed, install 3 rads and install the shower unit. A different chap that's working on the job would 1st/2nd fix the rest of the bathroom, do the waste pipes, run the pipes in for the sinks, etc.)

Advertisement