Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Moore

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

tryfix wrote: »
    Tee-hee, I didn't say Hughes was a super-d-duper jockey. It's just that I was looking for a jockey who could finish like a train and he was the first one that sprung to mind. :pac:

I suppose all jockeys go through bad spells and if they're lucky they get back on track. Dettori went through a pretty bad phase and he came back to put them all in the shadows on his good days.

Used to love Hughes myself during the Canford Cliffs era, probably his heyday?

On Moore, dips in form are part and parcel of the game.
    He's a sitting duck as he's on the best horses, and often, the most over bet horses. Is it fair to base his performance on profit/loss to a pound with that in mind?
    Ballydoyle would have no qualms about moving him on if they weren't content he was contributing to the operation and I think they have far more knowledge than us punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Didnt Low Sun win in Galway last year
    Decent horse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Didnt Low Sun win in Galway last year
    Decent horse

He's a very good horse. He won the Cesarewitch at Newmarket. He has a great chance. I hope Ricci brings his hankey with him. Your favourite jockey is in the saddle.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    He's a very good horse. He won the Cesarewitch at Newmarket. He has a great chance. I hope Ricci brings his hankey with him. Your favourite jockey is in the saddle.

No she isn't!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Used to love Hughes myself during the Canford Cliffs era, probably his heyday?

On Moore, dips in form are part and parcel of the game.
    He's a sitting duck as he's on the best horses, and often, the most over bet horses. Is it fair to base his performance on profit/loss to a pound with that in mind?
    Ballydoyle would have no qualms about moving him on if they weren't content he was contributing to the operation and I think they have far more knowledge than us punters.

I think Hughes went through a golden sunset to his career with horses like Sole Power showcasing his particular talents.

I don't know what to make of Moore. If he wasn't the big name that he was before he went to Coolmore I don't think he'd still be in the Job. The Coolmore crew can be fierce loyal to people who they like and they can be ruthless with top class talents that they fall out with.

Before Moore got the Coolmore job he had been a flat version of Tony McCoy, a jockey who'd push every ounce out of a horse to get it over the line in 1st place. He's still very good in a tight finish, but whether he's riding to orders or whatever he's inclined to ride an awful lot of horses from out the back which isn't a huge handicap to a horse because horses tend to run to form from the back IF they don't get blocked in or leave it too late to peg back a horse that has gone for home.

Some jockeys have the hands and vision/timing to sit quietly out the back and weave their through a field. The likes of Piggot was awesome at it. Moore ain't that kind of jockey, I cringe when I see him getting himself into a difficult position behind a few horses, he's incredibly poor at weaving his way through a field and he's riding for an outfit who are usually happy to mind a horse once it's obvious they won't be winning so he gets to coast home and the horse doesn't run to its regular level of form. He's worth a bit in a tight finish so Coolmore will eventually get their wins out of Moore and often Coolmore themselves are playing games with which of their multiple entries is primed to win on the day of a race.

It's frustrating to see him on a horse because you don't know whether you are going to get a Dr Jekyll or Mr Hyde performance. He puts me off backing O'Brien's horses, and ye can't just ignore the fact that he's on the highest rated stable entry in a big race because all things being equal that highest rated individual should be first home of O'Brien's runners and most often is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Great ride by Ryan there :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

****e

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

famagusta wrote: »
    Word around Tipp is that Donnacha will be getting Wachmans yard when he is finished riding, which isn't far away
    Aidan's dog will be getting his own stable at this rate :pac:

Seriously though, Joseph is already shaping up to be the real deal. If Donnacha is near his ability, the O' Brien boys will have flat racing sewn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Confirmed he is taking a trainers course - https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/donnacha-obrien-joins-trainers-course-but-still-plans-to-continue-riding/381141

Hardly a surprise, he's a tall lad, maybe even a little taller than his brother from what I can see.

Another peach there on Mekong at Sandown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Horse wasn't good enough to win either way imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Ah will ya stop... The best horse won that race.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Wasn't that Sangarius that he is on in the next all the rage for antepost markets at one stage last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dk6dk6

Clutching at straws here

Jesus Christ.............He got Mekong beat in that race!
    Wow........just....wow

Best jockey in the world? Not the best jockey in his own fu**ing house

Harsh enough Roger, but I don't care anymore he deserves any bollickings he gets.

That being the case, worst ride ever, he is truly useless.

Advertisement