Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Moore

Options
  • 09-05-2019 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

This fella, for all the talk about him.....

Over rated?????

Personally he would put me off a horse as opposed to encourage me to back it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭votecounts

he was shocking on kew gardens there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Everyone can agree he is overrated. You'd swear he was frankie dettori the way they go on about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Brilliant jockey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭votecounts

Earendil wrote: »
    Brilliant jockey.
    Calm down Ryan;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

He used to be superb, wasnt long ago he nearly went through the Royal Ascot card. Since he got the top job full time for AoB would you say he has gone a bit downhill?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Possibly not what he was but still without doubt one of the best around, become very fashionable to give out about him for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

votecounts wrote: »

Horse was having his first run of the season, and got well beat. It wouldnt be the first time for an AOb runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Possibly not what he was but still without doubt one of the best around, become very fashionable to give out about him for some reason

Some reason being his form maybe???
    No 2 ways about it, his form for 2 years now, considering the horse he rides, has been bang average

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

In the past i've thought he he took a while to find his form when coming back from injury but so far this season he has just been sh*t!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Donnchadh top man there now

• Advertisement

Why do clowns think Ryan Moore picks what horse he rides and all that?

Aidan picks who rides who

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

He is not as good as he is made out to be. In saying that I think the Coolmore job is one of the hardest and most unforgiving job around. If you make a balls of it everyone sees it. He won't be the first or the last to have come away from Coolmore with his reputation tarnished.

Awful on Kew Gardens today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

votecounts wrote: »

The horse hates Soft ground and hadn't won on it since his 2yo maiden win in Killarney. He had to give 4lbs away to winner and 7lb to rest of the field. It was an accident waiting to happen, he actually ran above form with the 3rd place horse but the 8L winner loved the mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Wouldn't touch him on a hold up horse in a big field.

Still OK from the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    He is not as good as he is made out to be. In saying that I think the Coolmore job is one of the hardest and most unforgiving job around. If you make a balls of it everyone sees it. He won't be the first or the last to have come away from Coolmore with his reputation tarnished.

Awful on Kew Gardens today.
    Explain how he was awful on Kew Gardens ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

i think its because he was so successful acouple years ago, and hes not as consistent now that hes getting flak.

He does seem to lose on a lot of favourites tho

i think its because he was so successful acouple years ago, and hes not as consistent now that hes getting flak.

He does seem to lose on a lot of favourites tho

It's fairly simple, he ain't a Richard Hughes ( who was excellent at coming from the back and getting up on the line ) but he seems to think that he is. He is dropping out most of his horses for the first half of the race and then he lacks the finesse to thread his way through a crowded or even half crowded field. What really sucks is that when he knows his chance is probably gone he then often just coasts home as if he didn't have a care in the world.

His strength is in pushing a horse out to the line where he's probably worth a pound or two of weight off a horse. He rarely rides to his strengths these days.

Ryan Moores confidence is shattered from all the abuse he recieves.

Bit like everyone abusing Jamie Spencer a few years back because it was the fashion and cool to do so

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Explain how he was awful on Kew Gardens ?

I would have made sure the horse was further up with the pace. It was obvious after 3 furlongs he wasn't loving the ground, so what, why was he entered then ?

If he runs him further up with the pace he doesn't allow the winner get ahead by 8 lengths, which is indicative to me of a bad ride. Yes the ground was soft but it wasn't a bog.

I want you to know however that your asking advice off a mug punter who is not a jockey. So don't bother responding with any " how do you know you haven't a clue tripe ". I know enough to see a crap ride when I see one.

Did you see today's race?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Not the same jockey he was 2-3 years ago.

if there's trouble to be found in a 6 horse race with the full expanse of the Newmarket racetrack then Moore is your man to find it.

Has taken the "keeping the horse travelling on the bridle" to another level where he seems to be riding in a different race to the rest of the jockeys to the point where he is only getting going when the rest of them are fighting the last 100 yards or he just drops his hands.

Tabor and Lewis are keeping him there and that suits Aiden as Moore is accepting at this stage of his career that Donnacha is going to be on some of the likely ones for the group 1s and this will be Donnachas last season riding before moving to Longfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭WicklowBrave

tipptom wrote: »
    Not the same jockey he was 2-3 years ago.

if there's trouble to be found in a 6 horse race with the full expanse of the Newmarket racetrack then Moore is your man to find it.

Has taken the "keeping the horse travelling on the bridle" to another level where he seems to be riding in a different race to the rest of the jockeys to the point where he is only getting going when the rest of them are fighting the last 100 yards or he just drops his hands.

Tabor and Lewis are keeping him there and that suits Aiden as Moore is accepting at this stage of his career that Donnacha is going to be on some of the likely ones for the group 1s and this will be Donnachas last season riding before moving to Longfield.

Is Donnacha really going straight into training after he stops riding?

In his defence there may have been or he thought there may have been something wrong with Kew Gardens as he jumped of him straight away afterwards.

Is Donnacha really going straight into training after he stops riding?

Probably just as a small satellite yard for ballydoyle but he will have his own horses as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭WicklowBrave

tipptom wrote: »
    Probably just as a small satellite yard for ballydoyle but he will have his own horses as well.

That’s gas. He’s a kid. I’d heard that this would be his last season riding. Best of luck to him. He comes across well.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭slimshady007

That’s gas. He’s a kid. I’d heard that this would be his last season riding. Best of luck to him. He comes across well.

He strikes me as a very capable and talented jockey, in any race I've seen him he generally always gives the horse the best chance of winning. Small sample size admittedly but I've seen lots of rides that Moore and even Joseph balls up in his day. I found it strange he didn't get a chance as number 1 like Joseph but maybe they knew he wasnt going to be riding long.

Aside from that, despite the wealth and success Aidan has kept his kids well grounded and no arrogance from them (at least in public) which is a credit to the man considering his dedication to horse training. If I were Joseph I'd likely have gone mad for a few years after winning all those group 1's but he seems just as dedicated to training as his father.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭famagusta

Word around Tipp is that Donnacha will be getting Wachmans yard when he is finished riding, which isn't far away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

He strikes me as a very capable and talented jockey, in any race I've seen him he generally always gives the horse the best chance of winning. Small sample size admittedly but I've seen lots of rides that Moore and even Joseph balls up in his day. I found it strange he didn't get a chance as number 1 like Joseph but maybe they knew he wasnt going to be riding long.

Aside from that, despite the wealth and success Aidan has kept his kids well grounded and no arrogance from them (at least in public) which is a credit to the man considering his dedication to horse training. If I were Joseph I'd likely have gone mad for a few years after winning all those group 1's but he seems just as dedicated to training as his father.

spot on, a very grounded family who are seriously focused on their profession. Never a hit of arrogance from them, they really are a credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

tryfix wrote: »
    It's fairly simple, he ain't a Richard Hughes ( who was excellent at coming from the back and getting up on the line ) but he seems to think that he is. He is dropping out most of his horses for the first half of the race and then he lacks the finesse to thread his way through a crowded or even half crowded field. What really sucks is that when he knows his chance is probably gone he then often just coasts home as if he didn't have a care in the world.

His strength is in pushing a horse out to the line where he's probably worth a pound or two of weight off a horse. He rarely rides to his strengths these days.
    Ah come on now ,Richard hughes who amassed the grand total of 2 British classics in his career. Now Moore isn't all that but hughes certainly is not the bench mark when discussing jockeys.;)

I see he is on the Cesarewitch winner for Rich Ricci ( crybabycry ) tomorrow. Low Sun it's called. Drawn 17 will not be easy but stays all day and won't mind the ground.

In fact given the ground there are only 7 horses who have won a race on soft ground before. Willie Mullins trains two of them. Whiskey Sour and Cry Baby's horse.

Considering Whiskey Sour got turned over by a stablemate in Mallow last time out I would say he is a certainty.

• Advertisement

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Ah come on now ,Richard hughes who amassed the grand total of 2 British classics in his career. Now Moore isn't all that but hughes certainly is not the bench mark when discussing jockeys.;)

Tee-hee, I didn't say Hughes was a super-d-duper jockey. It's just that I was looking for a jockey who could finish like a train and he was the first one that sprung to mind. :pac:

I suppose all jockeys go through bad spells and if they're lucky they get back on track. Dettori went through a pretty bad phase and he came back to put them all in the shadows on his good days.

Advertisement