Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Gym in Shed

Options
  • 08-05-2019 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭

Im throwing ideas around with himself about what to do with the back garden as its a mess of old paving and weeds right now and neither of us are interested in gardening or creating an "outdoor" space.

Something that would suit us both would be a home gym. In terms of essentials we would need a power rack, 2 barbells, assortment of bumper plate weights, a dual cable machine with pull up handles and a variety of attachment handles, 2 benches, a set of dumbells, a treadmill and a couple of mats. Maybe some other random items like a swiss ball, stretchy bands etc..

Im wondering how we could do this. A wooden shed? A concrete shed? Would you need heating? What do you do for a base considering that heavy things would be hitting it. Youd need to have power supplied.

How much space would it need, and what would the cost be (outside of the cost of gym equipment itself as we would build that up over time - Id be happy to start with a bench and a barbell). Id be happy to devote half or so of the back garden to it.

Id be interested in any ideas people have. The garden is a standard 3 bed semi d garden and currently occupied by a small barna shed in one corner that we would move.

It might be something we could never afford but Id like to hear any ideas people have. We are totally clueless and no DIY skills. So everything would be us hiring people to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Home/shed gym is my dream. I reckon it's a few years away from me though.

There's a poster called KKV built a shed gym. He has a pic in his training log here. He hasn't posted here much lately so perhaps throw him a PM?

I know little about building/DIY/sheds myself, but I'd imagine most prefab sheds have a floor that is completely unsuitable to deadlifts. I reckon the best solution would be to choose a decent sized prefab shed (without its own floor) and pay a builder to lay a solid concrete base for it. Then some decent rubber horse mats and that's the structure you'd need.

Equipment... plenty of options 2nd hand on adverts. Buy cheap first and perhaps invest in decent stuff later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Would love a home gym but the cost for something that will stand the test of time and won’t have me freezing my h**e off during the winter is prohibitive. Even a decent prefabricated one will be expensive and if you want to do it properly it would need to be wired etc.

Can’t see you getting away with something decent and comfortable for under €10k. You’d get a lot of gym membership for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Can’t see you getting away with something decent and comfortable for under €10k. You’d get a lot of gym membership for that.

Yes - I have considered this aspect of it. But Im looking at it more like a hobby, as addition to the gym membership. Im not thinking of it as something to replace my current gym membership (well maybe Ill replace the weekend membership).

Today I have a space out the back I never use. For anything.

If, for 7-10k I could get a space that both of us would use, even just once or twice a week - then it would be worth it to me. Not to mention that the structure itself would be valuable in terms of space/storage even if it stopped being a gym.

Im basically trying to think of "What can I do with my garden that is low maintenance and I will use". I could get it paved and put down some potted plants etc, and still pay 3-4k for that - and still never use it. Or I could put down grass and have to mow it all summer.

Some people would spend 25k on a car that theyd keep for a few years. I think 10k for a home gym that would be used by both of us for 10 years is a pretty good deal actually!

Home/shed gym is my dream. I reckon it's a few years away from me though.

Im kind of thinking in stages. Maybe I could get the concrete base this year. Then the structure next year. Then add a barbell and some plates. Some dumbbells.

The next year get a cable machine. Etc....
    There's a poster called KKV built a shed gym. He has a pic in his training log here. He hasn't posted here much lately so perhaps throw him a PM?

Great link thanks. Im thinking of something just like that except with mirrors on one side and maybe more windows/light. I wonder what size that is.

Yes - I agree with you re base. What about walls though, youd surely need something that would withstand the odd weight bouncing against it?

I suppose it would be an idea to measure the garden and draw out what large items Im thinking of (such as a power rack, treadmill, benches with space around them etc..) and get a sense of how big a structure Id want.

What about height. How much height would you need to cater for overhead pressing, pull ups etc?

Would you need to heat it or would it be alright insulated? Ive often worked out in very cold gyms and I actually prefer them cold to hot - but would it be off putting to go to a freezing shed in winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

In stages makes perfect sense.

re Walls. I guess it depends on what you need solid walls for? Not trying to be facetious, but what sort of equipment would you plan on getting that would be wall-mounted? If you plan on having something like TRX ropes, then yeah, a conventional shed wall wouldn't suffice. But if you plan on investing in a solid, good quality squat rack, that would have your squat/bench and pullup needs (assuming it has the handles).

I don't see a conventional shed wall having issues with weights hitting off them every now and then. I just think back to the abuse our shed growing up got with the wheelbarrow and lawnmower being stacked against it, and it lasted years. I reckon a shed would be fine as long as you weren't absolutely taking the piss.

Height requirement... well, you could figure that yourself. Assuming your husband is taller, have him overhead press a broomstick, measure the height and add 22.5cm (the radius of a standard bumper plate) and you have your absolute minimum height requirement of the ceiling. You'd need a little more as a 'just in case'. Depending on the type of squat rack, pressing inside it might not be possible if you have go small but you could easily do your squatting and benching inside with overhead pressing outside it.

Heating - again, I don't know. Would depend on if you plan on having the shed powered. My future hypothetical shed gym would need it though. Cold barbells in the hands and on the back make training unpleasant.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »
    Yes - I have considered this aspect of it. But Im looking at it more like a hobby, as addition to the gym membership. Im not thinking of it as something to replace my current gym membership (well maybe Ill replace the weekend membership).

Today I have a space out the back I never use. For anything.

If, for 7-10k I could get a space that both of us would use, even just once or twice a week - then it would be worth it to me. Not to mention that the structure itself would be valuable in terms of space/storage even if it stopped being a gym.

Im basically trying to think of "What can I do with my garden that is low maintenance and I will use". I could get it paved and put down some potted plants etc, and still pay 3-4k for that - and still never use it. Or I could put down grass and have to mow it all summer.

Some people would spend 25k on a car that theyd keep for a few years. I think 10k for a home gym that would be used by both of us for 10 years is a pretty good deal actually!

Absolutely, and a good sturdy outbuilding will add value to the house. My garden is the same, it’s a bit of a mess and I have zero interest, even cutting the grass is a pain.

Do be aware of planning regs as once you pass a certain threshold outbuildings require planning. You’ll likely get away with it but it could become a big issue if you want to sell up.

For heating make sure you have some basic insulation and then fit a good wall mounted electric heater. You’ll only be using it a few hours a week so no need for anything fancy.

re Walls. I guess it depends on what you need solid walls for?

Yeah - thats a good point re walls and things mounted. I would be happy with pull up handles on a cable machine or rack.

I guess I was just thinking about one of the gyms I use - there are LUMPS gone out of the walls from people slamming things against the plasterboard. But (a) youd be more careful in your own gym and (b) it wouldnt be plasterboard walls!
    Height requirement... well, you could figure that yourself. Assuming your husband is taller, have him overhead press a broomstick, measure the height and add 22.5cm (the radius of a standard bumper plate) and you have your absolute minimum height requirement of the ceiling.

Good idea. And realistically you could just make sure the centre was high enough for this. Im short so Id be grand at anything that is high enough for him.
    Heating - again, I don't know. Would depend on if you plan on having the shed powered. My future hypothetical shed gym would need it though. Cold barbells in the hands and on the back make training unpleasant.

Im thinking if I go down this route I will power it. Ill need lighting and itd be nice to have a socket or two, for hoovering/music.

Yes, thats a good point re cold barbells in the hands and on the back. But that might be a future add on....

Absolutely, and a good sturdy outbuilding will add value to the house. My garden is the same, it’s a bit of a mess and I have zero interest, even cutting the grass is a pain.

Do be aware of planning regs as once you pass a certain threshold outbuildings require planning. You’ll likely get away with it but it could become a big issue if you want to sell up.

For heating make sure you have some basic insulation and then fit a good wall mounted electric heater. You’ll only be using it a few hours a week so no need for anything fancy.

We are not long in the house and its our first house so we will probably be in it for a while.

We spent a good bit initially but we had to leave off some things until we can afford them.

So the bathrooms and back and front gardens were left alone. The front is alright, with a bit of maintenance but the back is truly awful.

So Im trying to think of the long term plan and fitness/working out being something we both do - seems like a good idea for us.

I actually got the idea doing an outdoor workout in Marlay Park a few weeks ago on their outdoor equipment. I started small thinking maybe I should install pull up bars outside.

Then last week myself and himself discussed if we can afford to do anything with the back garden this year and what we would do - which led to thinking more long term.

I just wish I had more of an idea of realistic costs for these things. I can cost out the gym equipment ok (and you can get a lot of secondhand servicable stuff). But I dont know how much it costs to get a concrete base and a shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Would love a home gym but the cost for something that will stand the test of time and won’t have me freezing my h**e off during the winter is prohibitive. Even a decent prefabricated one will be expensive and if you want to do it properly it would need to be wired etc.

I have had a home gym for over 2 years now and I still use it, and its money well spent, one of the best decisions could have been made.

Full power rack with cable included in it and olympic bar, plus weights from 5KG to about 30KG cost nowhere near that for me.

Few other accessories like ez curl bar etc, still cost is €2K or less?

I mean for cardio just go for a run. I have everything I need to do hundreds of exercises.

bottar1 wrote: »
    I have had a home gym for over 2 years now and I still use it, and its money well spent, one of the best decisions could have been made.

Full power rack with cable included in it and olympic bar, plus weights from 5KG to about 30KG cost nowhere near that for me.

I mean for cardio just go for a run. I have everything I need to do hundreds of exercises.

Did you build or install a separate room for it outside like I am thinking of?

And what were your costs.

Could you share info on what you have, where you got things etc, how much space you use etc?

• Advertisement

bottar1 wrote: »

I’m talking about the structure itself, the equipment is actually only a small part of the cost when I threw out the €10k figure. That’s what the op asked about.

If you already have a suitable space you can set up a home gym for next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭Alkers

How long are you likely to stay in this house for?
    How big is the garden?
    Planning may restrict the size of what you're allowed to build.
    You have several options from a prefab shed up to a seomra type structure and I'd say the cost would be ballpark from 5k to 25k depending on what you decide.
    If you do decide to go ahead, I would think of it more along the lines of building an additional room which you can then make a gym as opposed to building a gym from the get go. If you do ever chose to sell up, the room can be used as a games room, home office, spare bedroom, shed etc where as if you just have a steel shed in the back garden most people would probably want to remove it if they were looking to buy the house, particularly if you've no side access.
    Once you have the room built, making a gym is easy enough.
    We have a block built shed with rear access that we use half of as a home gym.
    It's not insulated and has no heating and it's fine to use 90% of the year. I normally do 5-10 mins on the treadmill just to warm up before doing anything else.
    We bought cheap foam tiles from Halfords which is all we have on too of the concrete floor, they aren't extremely durable but they're cheap to replace if any get damaged. Some of the gym specific flooring options are extortionate.
    If you had the budget you could go for an option with large opening doors for the garden wall so you could have an inside/outside area

Simona1986 wrote: »
    How long are you likely to stay in this house for?
    How big is the garden?
    Planning may restrict the size of what you're allowed to build.

10+ years.

I dont know exactly but its a standard 3 bed semi d with a big garden out the back. Im not great at estimating size by eye but it could be 8m*8m? Or maybe 8m*10m?

Id be thinking of a shed thats 6*4metres or less.

I can see structures in neighbours gardens that would be suitable size wise so I imagine planning is not an issue so long as I dont exceed 25sq metres and so long as I leave 25sq metres.
    You have several options from a prefab shed up to a seomra type structure and I'd say the cost would be ballpark from 5k to 25k depending on what you decide.

The home gym kindly linked to above cost 2.3k apparently for the structure - but they already had a base. Im not interested in something as fancy as a seomra structure - too expensive.
    If you do decide to go ahead, I would think of it more along the lines of building an additional room which you can then make a gym as opposed to building a gym from the get go. If you do ever chose to sell up, the room can be used as a games room, home office, spare bedroom, shed etc where as if you just have a steel shed in the back garden most people would probably want to remove it if they were looking to buy the house, particularly if you've no side access.

Im not really sure what the difference between a room that becomes a gym and a gym from the get go is? Anything that goes into it as a gym would be removable. And if it was just a room with a concrete base then it could be anything.
    Once you have the room built, making a gym is easy enough.
    We have a block built shed with rear access that we use half of as a home gym.
    It's not insulated and has no heating and it's fine to use 90% of the year. I normally do 5-10 mins on the treadmill just to warm up before doing anything else.

Yeah I generally prefer to work out in a cold area myself. Although during the snow I might have wanted heating ;)
    We bought cheap foam tiles from Halfords which is all we have on too of the concrete floor, they aren't extremely durable but they're cheap to replace if any get damaged. Some of the gym specific flooring options are extortionate.
    If you had the budget you could go for an option with large opening doors for the garden wall so you could have an inside/outside area

+1 on the Halfords tiles. What would be good to insulate a bit from noise? Have you the tiles directly on top of concrete?

Does the treadmill bother the neighbours?

....... wrote:
    +1 on the Halfords tiles. What would be good to insulate a bit from noise? Have you the tiles directly on top of concrete?

Yup directly in top of the concrete, there's still a fair thud from deadlifts or whatever but most of the actual noise comes from plates and bars banging together.
    ....... wrote:
    Does the treadmill bother the neighbours?
    No not at all, it can't be heard outside of the shed, ours is block built though.

Re: gym / room I was just getting you to think about if you spend a few k on a shed type structure and look to sell the house in a few years, people might not see this as a good thing and it won't increase the value of the house. Whereas if you go a full garden room approach, it will likely add to the value of the house so while it will cost more, you may get the money back at some stage. Just food for thought

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Im throwing ideas around with himself about what to do with the back garden as its a mess of old paving and weeds right now and neither of us are interested in gardening or creating an "outdoor" space.

Something that would suit us both would be a home gym. In terms of essentials we would need a power rack, 2 barbells, assortment of bumper plate weights, a dual cable machine with pull up handles and a variety of attachment handles, 2 benches, a set of dumbells, a treadmill and a couple of mats. Maybe some other random items like a swiss ball, stretchy bands etc..

Im wondering how we could do this. A wooden shed? A concrete shed? Would you need heating? What do you do for a base considering that heavy things would be hitting it. Youd need to have power supplied.

How much space would it need, and what would the cost be (outside of the cost of gym equipment itself as we would build that up over time - Id be happy to start with a bench and a barbell). Id be happy to devote half or so of the back garden to it.

Id be interested in any ideas people have. The garden is a standard 3 bed semi d garden and currently occupied by a small barna shed in one corner that we would move.

It might be something we could never afford but Id like to hear any ideas people have. We are totally clueless and no DIY skills. So everything would be us hiring people to do it.
    I went and done this about 4 years ago.
    Went with a 8m x 6m steel tech shed with concrete base.I've a big garden with loads of room.
    It was not a cheap project but will only add to the value of the house in the long run.

Best thing I ever did to the garden really.

Cost wise the it was..

From green grass to a 8m x 6m concrete base cost €3k.
    Drip proof Steel tech shed €5k.
    Wiring,lights,gutters,drains,plywood sheets on floor,rubber mats all extra,can't recall the cost but would be about€400-€500.
    Not cheap at all.
    I only use half the shed for a gym so you could adjust the price accordingly.

I can fit a squat rack,concept2 rower,rogue echo bike,farmers walk handles,kettle bells,plyometric boxes and all ancillary bits that go with them comfortably into half a 8m x 4m shed.Still loads of room for stretching etc.

An expensive little project no doubt but well worth it not to have to wait for a squat rack..!

I would be handy at diy.This helped when doing all the little bits and pieces to it.Saved a fortune really.

Oh and its freezing in it in the winter.An insulated shed is crazy money though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

There was already a shed at the back of my garden when I bought the house.

It’s only around 6.5m x 3m but I out in the following:

3mm carpet underlay flooring
    10mm x 1m2 rubber mats
    Watson power rack
    220kg bumper plates
    Hybrid barbell
    Swiss bar
    Fat grip curl bar
    Trap bar
    KBs in pairs - 8,12,16,20,24,28,32
    Some
    Dumbbells
    Flat bench
    White board.
    Bulgarian bag
    Med ball
    Ab mats

It’s still a work in progress and next on the list is a C2 Ski Erg.
    I’ve put around €5000 or so into the gym gear Alone.

It was already wired so have lights and sockets.

Didn’t bother with a heater.
    Just wear tights and hoodies.

Thanks for the info guys.

Its interesting to hear what people put into them - how much use do you get, do you still maintain a gym membership as well?

....... wrote:
    Its interesting to hear what people put into them - how much use do you get, do you still maintain a gym membership as well?

3 days a week for an average of 9 months of the year, don't maintain a membership also.

Use the garage daily for bicycle storage, tools and that sort of stuff too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I have a home gym in my basement. I put industrial rubber mats on the ground. This was probably the best investment. They are very solid with no give, so your feet don't sink into them, have great grip, can take a beating and they are great for floor exercises compared to a concrete floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Have a home gym in my parents shed I was using for years as I lived close by, was objectively in the best shape of my life when using it. Moved house a few years ago and will be trying to move everything over at the end of the summer.

Lucky enough that the new house has a big shed already so it'll just be tidying costs and some new equipment.

One thing I didn't spot was above was rust. My parents shed, while large, had a tin roof and non-insulated block walls. As a result it was cold, warmer air would condense on the barbells and weights and would leave some rust on them. Our ez curl bar would turn your hands orange :p Just food for thought if thinking about not insulating or heating. A scrub of a wire brush sorts them out pretty quickly but it is not ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 red tank

I am just about finished this same project.
    It is a block shed.
    Have a small garden so the gym is a bit on the small side but it will do for me.
    Regarding the costs, i did a lot of work myself.
    I dug the foundation for the concrete base.
    i am a block layer so i built it myself which saved money.
    There was about 300 blocks needed to build the shed.
    I also put on the roof.
    This all took a while but definitely saved me money.
    Here is a breakdown for the building of the shed.
    Concrete for the base. € 200
    Blocks and cement. €400
    Materials for the roof. €350
    Window. €70.
    I already had a door to use.

The equipment i have in the gym is as follows.
    CF 485 power rack with lat pulldown.
    Barbell.
    Safety squat bar.
    140kg of plates.
    Treadmill.
    EZ curl bar.
    Pair of selectable dumbbells. ( very hand for small gyms )
    Bench.

I have no isulation or heat in the gym. Before i built this i worked out in a rugby club gym that had no heating or insulation and it didn't bother me.
    Overall its an expensive project but it will be there for years and is very handy to only have to walk to the bottom of the garden to workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Thanks for the info guys.

I have a decent gym at work so no, don’t keep a gym membership.
    Occasionally I’ll use a gym on a pay as you go basis or use a guest pass from family/friends.

I also use the shed to store my bikes, wetsuits and running gear for triathlons and have a couple of sleds, harnesses and sandbags for outdoor conditioning.

I have a decent gym at work so no, don’t keep a gym membership.

My job pays for a gym membership for me so I would keep that, but Id probably ditch my weekend gym (which I use on pay as you go basis).

The one thing that I wonder about is that I tend to change up with I am doing in the gym every so often and I worry that I would find my equipment becoming obsolete over time as I moved onto other things.

I suppose this is less likely to happen with fundamental equipment like barbells/dumbells etc but even say a treadmill, I have had periods with injuries/surgeries that made some equipment unusable - which is grand in an ordinary gym because you can use other things but would be a bummer in a home gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

would a small gym setup be out of the question for a Steel shed which only has a metal frame based with osb fitted on top? the shed is sitting on top of blocks. I'm thinking the equipment may be too heavy?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It really depends on what you're putting in there but 150kg worth of plates, 20kg bar and bench and rack (variable but could be similar to the plates in total) shouldn't be out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Juran

We have a smallish semi detached garden. House built in 1995 before gardens were tiny.

We bought in in 2004, back garden was water logged grass, weeds, concrete block walls. Depressing.

We removed all the soil. ( backbreaking I can still remember it, took us a week with my father and uncle helping, took away 20+ trailers of soil, muck and rubble.

Patio on half using nice cream stone, nice looking gravel and artifical grass on the other half. Lots of sand and weed membrane underneath. No weeds since.

We plastered the walls and painted them. Looks very smart. We put down small lights as well.

We had a timber shed installed, it served us for for 15+ years, but was damp and tou coukdnt leave good gym equipment in it. They would turn to rust.

3 years ago, we got rid of the timber shed and bought a large Steeltech shed. We upgraded to Composite walls, which means they are insulated. The door is a proper PVC door. The shed has ventilation as well and damp proof under the floor. It cost almost €8k, which includes the concrete slab. We tiled it, and kitted it out as half storage / workshop, and half mini gym. Bike, weighs and rowing machine. We dont have heat. Its always very dry in there, never damp. After a few mins excercise, you warm up. We have a wifi extender from the house, so we can watch TV on the ipad out there.

Final note: it was a lot of work as we did most of it ourselves. But 100% worth it. In the summer months, our back garden with garden furniture and BBQ & pretty lights is like a second living room. Our steeltech shed was one of the best investment we ever made.

Hope this helps you see what you can do with your back garden.

Advertisement