Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tour of Afghanistan in India 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

BOHtox wrote: »
    That's the end of field restrictions though is it?

Yep. Will be more difficult now as shots that were going over the outfield for four will now have fielders in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Required run rate creeping up now.

RR 11.14
    RRR 15.46

Be interesting to see who's winning on DL at the minute

KOB with a massive six down the ground and it wasn't even off the middle of the bat.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Slowed right down now, no boundaries in ten deliveries

95-0 after 9 overs. Runs not flowing as much now.

• Advertisement

Good over from Stirling. Big six off the first ball and a boundary off the last. 109-0 after 10.

Here comes Rashid Khan though.

Straight away, he gets a false shot out of O'Brien and it should be a simple catch only for it to be inexplicably dropped.

Good boundary by Stirling and Ireland get their first record of the match with Stirling and O'Brien now holding Ireland's best ever T20 partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

3 a ball required. Think that's it done. We gave it a good bash but really we lost it with the bowling.

Not to sound too negative, I'd love to eat that humble pie :D

Now Stirling goes and gets the highest individual T20I score for Ireland.

• Advertisement

KOB out 37

O'Brien steers a full toss straight to a fielder out on the boundary. Could have hit that anywhere he wanted to.

Balbirnie out

Quicker one by Rashid Khan goes straight through Balbirnie. He is class in fairness.

End of Stirling now. Slog sweep straight to a fielding. Great effort by him though. Pity he didn't get to his century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

VillaMad wrote: »
    Absolutely pathetic bowling. Yes Afghanistan are batting brilliantly but the bowling is short or wide and just asking to be hit.

Hasn’t it long been thus though? We used to be able compensate a bit by sharp fielding. Not much you can do though when the ball is flying overhead!

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Hasn’t it long been thus though? We used to be able compensate a bit by sharp fielding. Not much you can do though when the ball is flying overhead!

Yes it has been a issue with an Ireland for sometime but today was another level in bad bowling albeit on a pitch which was heavily favoured towards the batsmen.

Ireland used to as you say compensate with good fielding and good tight bowling but that worked 10 years ago and with the evolution of T20, over time, batsmen have become more unorthodox and ready to try shots not in the coaching manual which has made it harder for bowlers.

VillaMad wrote: »
    Yes it has been a issue with an Ireland for sometime but today was another level in bad bowling albeit on a pitch which was heavily favoured towards the batsmen.

Ireland used to as you say compensate with good fielding and good tight bowling but that worked 10 years ago and with the evolution of T20, over time, batsmen have become more unorthodox and ready to try shots not in the coaching manual which has made it harder for bowlers.

It's why I'd be more concerned for our team in the longer formats. Wickets have that extra premium when you play the test match game. You've got to be able to take wickets, even when the batsmen are not looking to take chances. Our game has developed more around the shorter formats and it seems to me anyway, that our batting and fielding standards tend to be disproportionately better that our bowling.

Going well enough here after 10. Can we keep it up or will scoreboard pressure be too much?

Quite fearful to be honest we struggled against the Afghan's at home last summer so we are going to be up against it in Asian conditions. Team composition has changed a bit with some new blood getting a run of games, J.Little in particular looks a decent death bowler, something we have need since A.Cusack retired. I hope S.Singh has a good tour, a guy who has really upped his game recently, adding to his variations with the ball and better performances with the bat aswell.
    In short I'd say we should aim to win 1 T20I
    Make the ODI's competitive (Afghan's gunning for the summer CWC)
    Our best shot at a win could be the stand alone Test (Which should be a great occasion regardless).

ODI tomorrow I think? The T20s have come & gone with fairly comprehensive wins for the Afghans.

Will this 'tour' be a whitewash? Afghans have more depth in both batting & bowling that we do now. We seemed to be able to take them on in reasonably even contests a few years ago but their standard has risen and either Irl has declined or remained static.

Sport is a funny thing but I'd have thought that luck would play a bigger part in the shortest format and we didn't get much change there. Maybe they'll relax in the ODIs and we can pinch a game but I wouldn't hold out much hope for the test. If we can't threaten batsmen when they are throwing the bat at all & sundry, there's little hope of dislodging them when they want to play a steady game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

BarryD2 wrote: »
    ODI tomorrow I think? The T20s have come & gone with fairly comprehensive wins for the Afghans.

Will this 'tour' be a whitewash? Afghans have more depth in both batting & bowling that we do now. We seemed to be able to take them on in reasonably even contests a few years ago but their standard has risen and either Irl has declined or remained static.

Sport is a funny thing but I'd have thought that luck would play a bigger part in the shortest format and we didn't get much change there. Maybe they'll relax in the ODIs and we can pinch a game but I wouldn't hold out much hope for the test. If we can't threaten batsmen when they are throwing the bat at all & sundry, there's little hope of dislodging them when they want to play a steady game.

It does help to have the world ranking number 1 T20 bowler in your team who has taken multiple wickets against Ireland.

He’s only number 2 in the ICC ODI rankings but there’s nowhere to hide against consistent talent.

Having said that, one man doesn’t a team make so that’s not a complete excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I think Ireland will win the test match. Afghanistan won't apply themselves and bat for a long time. When they played India, the spinners were destroyed and they lost 20 wickets in 399 balls. They only made 109 & 103. The Odis could be a whitewash.

Ireland win the toss and will bat first in the opening ODI

Porterfield out second over

12/1 after six. Lots of dot balls

Crikey 15/3 after 10.

Balbirnie out and McCollum out first ball on his debut

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

And Stirling was not given out LBW when he was plumb.

Thank god for the no ball, free-hit 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

Oh, there is official live streaming on YouTube. Cricket Ireland posted this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrL7oE1Ko_M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

HonalD wrote: »
    It does help to have the world ranking number 1 T20 bowler in your team who has taken multiple wickets against Ireland.

He’s only number 2 in the ICC ODI rankings but there’s nowhere to hide against consistent talent.

Having said that, one man doesn’t a team make so that’s not a complete excuse.

It's timely to add that Mujeeb is only 17 years old and is Number 9 in ODI rankings :eek:

• Advertisement

KOB out a while too. 46/4 after 23.

Stirling 27 off 63
    Simi 5 off 26

Getting in some test practice anyway

Advertisement