Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foo Fighters, RDS, Wed 21st August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The security was a little over the top. Why bother putting a phone and coins in a little bag when anyone with a belt will set it off so you'll have to show them. Just take everything out of your pockets and if something buzzes then show them. Waste of plastic.

All that just to let people with big backpacks in and some people had large cameras too so they weren't even following their own rules.

There was also a surprising lack of security towards the end. There was a lad on someone's shoulders in front of me and I couldn't see the stage at all. They're usually quite good at getting people down.

Apart from the gimp blocking my view, they're all minor issues that wouldn't ruin the gig in anyway, just a bit strange how they make a fuss about strict bag and camera sizes and they let everyone in.

Sound was on point. Dave was very clear. Nice change from 3Arena never being able to hear vocals. Great gig, good crowd interaction. Anyone who says Dave spoke too much and the whole "oh they left at 10:30" was clearly at the wrong gig. They broke the curfew. Did you miss the part where he said the manager reminded him? Dave's a mad man. The faces he made when jamming or when the crowd were singing were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I didn't get a plastic bag or see any metal detectors? Quick pat down and all good as per any other gig!
    I was only going in at 7.45pm time, must have given up by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,289 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I walked in with a hipflask around my belt at the back and quickly shuffled past the metal detectors.

Hardly tsa standard security :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    I didn't get a plastic bag or see any metal detectors? Quick pat down and all good as per any other gig!
    I was only going in at 7.45pm time, must have given up by then?

I was wondering wtf the bag was for alright. Thought it was a mini poncho for my mobile or something due to weather :pac::pac:

I was handed it when I arrived (7:55pm to be honest) but no explanation, and was just patted down and asked what was in my pockets. All a bit bizarre.

Wonder if there's a fine for breaking the curfew (not that they'd care anyways )

Was kinda funny to see yer man in the red shirt beside him nearly signaling to wrap it up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

seamus wrote: »
    Which side did you come in?

We found there was loads of room when you came in the Simmonscourt gate. For some stupid reason we went all the way to the other side to get beer at the food area, and the pitch was a lot busier on that side.

At the Simmonscourt gate, there was tonnes of room.

Yeah we came in the side where all the food and bars were. If only we knew there was room on the other side

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Shlippery wrote: »
    I was wondering wtf the bag was for alright. Thought it was a mini poncho for my mobile or something due to weather :pac::pac:

:pac: Joking aside a few people pushed past us using their phones in the bags like they were mini phone ponchos. Thought it was genius :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Which side did you come in?

We found there was loads of room when you came in the Simmonscourt gate. For some stupid reason we went all the way to the other side to get beer at the food area, and the pitch was a lot busier on that side.

At the Simmonscourt gate, there was tonnes of room.
    I walked from the Bewleys crossroads, first entrance (getting in on old stand side of the pitch) was closed at that stage so we all had to go to the far end (so we got in at the corner of stage and new stand. Took a walk around Pitch 1 for a look, the old stand side was noticibly busier. Reckon they copped that and closed the gate to fill the other side of the ptich

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭showpony1

I was in Pitch 2 bit of a pain stuck beside some eejits as well that kept moshing for every chorus of any song they knew not just heavy parts and doing some weird noise like an indian "lowlowlow" using their hands over their mouths when everyone was cheering that was deafending, think they were turkish. Couldn't really move around without going way back in Pitch 2.

i have tickets on phone and they checked them going under the arch of the stand from the area with the food/drinks into the perimeter of the pitch. Then they asked to check again going from this area out onto the pitch. They asked for the ticket everytime went out to toilet and back to pitch. i am wondering if my phone had died what would have happened. Also - was there the same area for toilets for Pitch 1/Pitch 2 cos then surely could have just got a friend to bring out a ticket and went into Pitch 1.

best songs i thought were pretender, hey johnny park, big me, monkey wrench and the thin lizzy parts.
    I thought last night was enjoyable but remember being blown away by them at Oxegen 2011, possibly because
    i was drunker and in the pit/festival atmosphere.

I am back in "Golden Circle" for post malone tonight so will hopefully be better view and less hassle going to toilets and getting drinks. Though i saw post malone in 3 arena and probably will be nightmare getting drinks as they will be on high alert IDing people so will take ages to get served.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Probably the same guy we were walking behind/in front of on the way in. Two lads, one huge big fat guy, both absolutely buckled, waving all over the place, literally bouncing off the walls going down Simmonscourt rd.

I wouldn't mind if they were clearly young fellas, we'e all been there. But they were easily in their 30s. 90 quid wasted because they decided to go get hammered before a gig.
    This guy wasn't fat, a guy with glasses around 30s alright I'd say, he had a small bag on his back people were helping him put on properly he was so twisted as he fell out of the place.

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Was that after an impromptu mosh pit? One lad got very agro (I think at his missus being pushed over) and didn't seem to want to let it go. Everyone ignored him until he calmed down.

That seems exactly like it yes, was towards the left middle of pitch 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭showpony1

OSI wrote: »
    Pitch 1 got bright yellow wrist bands that they were checking for.

so the ordeal going onto pitch 2 then was for what - to ensure seated people weren't going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nate Mendel is one of the most normal rockers out there

Very odd to say but hes very laid back and just normal. Brilliant at what he does

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Old school fan. Loved the old stuff being played..hey Johnny park was out of the world.new stuff bar run have me time to get some beer. Amazingly sound crowd as always at the foos.

Fantastic energy and he really went full at it in second half. 9/10.

Dave's Almost 50 and still mad...love it.

Yeah 50! I wasn't at it now. Is pat still with them? 60! Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Ran out of buns and cheese at one hot dog stand and ran out of chili and cheese in the one beside it. Still charged 6.50 per dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

This guy wasn't fat, a guy with glasses around 30s alright I'd say, he had a small bag on his back people were helping him put on properly he was so twisted as he fell out of the place.

I think he was beside me too at the start (was in pitch 1, front/middle right if looking at stage) and he was smashed, portly, about 5'6' if even and had glasses. I looked around at one stage before it was dark and he was literally falling asleep standing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

That seems exactly like it yes, was towards the left middle of pitch 1.

We were hanging out in the same spot then! The chap ripped is poncho off like hulk hogan, think he was looking for a reaction he didn’t get. Didn’t detract from from the gig at all of course!

Lesalare wrote: »
    I think he was beside me too at the start (was in pitch 1, front/middle right if looking at stage) and he was smashed, portly, about 5'6' if even and had glasses. I looked around at one stage before it was dark and he was literally falling asleep standing up.

No doubt the lad, he barged past us to head that direction and came back from there, night over after 3 songs the daft bean :pac:
    We were hanging out in the same spot then! The chap ripped is poncho off like hulk hogan, think he was looking for a reaction he didn’t get. Didn’t detract from from the gig at all of course!
    Haha most defo :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Foo's gig number 7 for me and probably the best one so far , great setlist overall and great to get a good few old songs.

Surprised they didnt play anything from Sonic Highways.

We were in Pitch 1 and had a great time, and agree with a lot of people that the crowd seemed dead on , we had no trouble at all around us.

We tried to get this going for Lisa's birthday but didnt really take off (bar the two lads in front of us)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

5th show for me. Definitely one of the best, though I think Milton Keynes back around 2007/2008 edges it simply because I'm a huge Jimmy Eat World fan so to have them as support was amazing for me. That, and fireworks. I'm a simple man - you have fireworks at the end of Everlong to finish the show, and I'll give it top marks every time :o

Though I do like the fact they didn't do an encore last night. A tiresome tradition that I've grown to dislike more and more!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

5th show for me. Definitely one of the best, though I think Milton Keynes back around 2007/2008 edges it simply because I'm a huge Jimmy Eat World fan so to have them as support was amazing for me.

I'll see your Milton Keynes and raise you Dublin, July 12th, 2002. Foo Fighters and Jimmy Eat World in the Ambassador.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Good gig would've like more from "Wasting light" which is the best recent one imo

The crowd was sound and that for me makes it 10 times more enjoyable

minus points for playing "wheels" and it's a pity they just didn't play "big me" as normal

Overall very enjoyable gig

I'll stick around was awesome!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Lofidelity

What was the picture on Taylor's drums last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I'll see your Milton Keynes and raise you Dublin, July 12th, 2002. Foo Fighters and Jimmy Eat World in the Ambassador.

Sure I was only 15 at the time. Dont think I'd ever been to Dublin on anything other than a school tour! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Third time seeing them, first was in 2003 and enjoying them more and more as the years go on. The pace of the opening songs was just frantic, incredible energy.

Only downside (and I'm likely to be alone on this) was the organisers handing out thousands of single use plastic bags for the security lines for the coins etc. in your pocket. Needless waste TBH, and a bit surprising given the current environmental culture.

They did the same in Belfast. Waste of resources and adds to the volume of rubbish.

Belfast was the sixth time seeing them. It was up there with the best. Managed to get into the pit about two minutes before they came on thanks to a lovely security lady who let my wife and I and our two kids (11 and 13) in. I think part of what made it so good was their excited wee faces :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Good gig would've like more from "Wasting light" which is the best recent one imo

minus points for playing "wheels" and it's a pity they just didn't play "big me" as normal

I wasn't there, but minus points for Wheels??? That'd be in my top 3 songs of any Foos gig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Agree with you on the more Wasting light point but not on your comment re: wheels....I thought it was a quality version of a quality tune!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Agree with you on the more Wasting light point but not on your comment re: wheels....I thought it was a quality version of a quality tune!

Yeah its just not my type of foos song, i actually detest it :eek:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Really enjoyed that, thought Hot Milk sounded like Paramore and a lot of stuff you hear on radio, I didn't hate them but I wouldn't go out of my to hear anything else from them. that frontwoman wasn't lacking in confidence anyway, Frank Carter was grand, I like how he did the first half of his set in the crowd, he does look like the type of fella that would be in your face looking for spare change in Dublin, but seems alright, nice salt of the earth character.

Was Pitch 2, right beside the mixing desk, sound was perfect but was relying on screens to see anything, a few giants standing in front of me, and I'm not even that small, the crowd was a step above your usual big event crowd, there was no constant yapping or strolling around non-stop, and they were singing along to the more obscure songs, gigs are more fun when people actually seem interested in the band.

Have never seen them before so their habit of stopping and then continuing when I thought the song finished caught me a few times, even the more bland stuff they have like Learn to Fly, Best of You and My Hero were fun live, I'll take their word for it that Under Pressure wasn't rehearsed, thought it was good, great to see Dave on drums.

Was hoping they'd give us a full cover of Boys Are Back in Town, was kinda dissapointed they didn't, Walk, Wheels, Times Like These, Everlong and This is a Call were the highlights for me and The Pretender too, what an opener that was, I enjoyed the stuff off the last album, they do a good cover of Let There Be Rock, was hoping they'd throw that in, the band was pretty tight, was especially impressed with Taylor, a lot of bands struggle to find one world class drummer never mind two.

One minor thing that annoyed me, the amount of disgusting f*cking smoke I inhaled all night, honestly I wish smoking was banned at these gigs, still good night overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah its just not my type of foos song, i actually detest it :eek:

Sure guess if it doesn't float your boat. Last time I saw them (Lisbon '17), I was giving out that they hadn't played it, roughly 18-20 songs in. Dave starts half-strumming, telling some story and boom. Right after I wrecked my voice for Monkey Wrench. What a 1-2 combo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Really enjoyed that, thought Hot Milk sounded like Paramore and a lot of stuff you hear on radio, I didn't hate them but I wouldn't go out of my to hear anything else from them. that frontwoman wasn't lacking in confidence anyway, Frank Carter was grand, I like how he did the first half of his set in the crowd, he does look like the type of fella that would be in your face looking for spare change in Dublin, but seems alright, nice salt of the earth character.

Was Pitch 2, right beside the mixing desk, sound was perfect but was relying on screens to see anything, a few giants standing in front of me, and I'm not even that small, the crowd was a step above your usual big event crowd, there was no constant yapping or strolling around non-stop, and they were singing along to the more obscure songs, gigs are more fun when people actually seem interested in the band.

Have never seen them before so their habit of stopping and then continuing when I thought the song finished caught me a few times, even the more bland stuff they have like Learn to Fly, Best of You and My Hero were fun live, I'll take their word for it that Under Pressure wasn't rehearsed, thought it was good, great to see Dave on drums.

Was hoping they'd give us a full cover of Boys Are Back in Town, was kinda dissapointed they didn't, Walk, Wheels, Times Like These, Everlong and This is a Call were the highlights for me and The Pretender too, what an opener that was, I enjoyed the stuff off the last album, they do a good cover of Let There Be Rock, was hoping they'd throw that in, the band was pretty tight, was especially impressed with Taylor, a lot of bands struggle to find one world class drummer never mind two.

One minor thing that annoyed me, the amount of disgusting f*cking smoke I inhaled all night, honestly I wish smoking was banned at these gigs, still good night overall.

Yeah, they only covered it 169 times since 2006 and played it live 3 times in the last 7 days. No practicing at all.

Advertisement