Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foo Fighters, RDS, Wed 21st August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

"we're going play all night....yap yap yap, we're going to play loads of songs yap yap yap yap yap yap song yap yap yap yap song.....yap yap"
    ...10.30 on the dot...Good night"!

:)

great gig though enjoyed it
    Need to check that watch of yours I'd say, you're gonna be 15mns late to everything today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Hi guys, Dave here using my mate s8n’s account. Thanks for coming, was a great show !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

They always pronounce Thin Lizzy as Tin Lizzy to take the piss out of our Irish accent. That's why he had it spelt that way on his shirt. Was quite amusing imo.

Gig was just class. Absolutely what you expect from them. Surrounded by a great bunch on pitch 1. Will definitely be paying the extra from now on. We were in pitch 2 for Bon Jovi and it wasnt the same. Pitch 1 definitely worth it. Even the rain timed it perfectly and added to a great atmosphere. Still in great form this morning after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,486 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

dobman88 wrote: »
    They always pronounce Thin Lizzy as Tin Lizzy to take the piss out of our Irish accent. That's why he had it spelt that way on his shirt. Was quite amusing imo.

It's actually the way you are meant to pronounce Thin Lizzy.

The band's name came from a robot character in The Dandy called Tin Lizzie, which they adjusted to Thin Lizzy as a playful reference to the local Dublin accent, in which "thin" would be pronounced as "t'in".

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭BangBeater

Last minute decision to go and glad I did.

Great gig. Saw the queue's on way in for the security check and could hear Foo's come on and thought I was gonna miss a lot of them but moved pretty quickly.

Thought sound was good, band were great and crowd were mighty even with that rain coming down.

Side note. That Rockshore is awful tack!

Was in Pitch 2.

Enjoyed 'Wheels' and 'My Hero' dedicated to the physio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

BangBeater wrote: »

'My Hero' dedicated to the physio.

F*CK YOU FREDDY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,856 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Crowd was pretty friendly last night

I imagine tonight's gig with Post Malone will be like a war zone. Gangs of wannabe rappers/MMA fighters etc in the one area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Yeah I'm sure there'd be a noticeable difference!
    Glad the missus didn't get tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

dobman88 wrote: »

Gig was just class. Absolutely what you expect from them. Surrounded by a great bunch on pitch 1. Will definitely be paying the extra from now on. We were in pitch 2 for Bon Jovi and it wasnt the same. Pitch 1 definitely worth it. Even the rain timed it perfectly and added to a great atmosphere.

Eh? pitch 1 was the same price as pitch 2!

They had golden circle implemented for Bon Jovi alright (despite the zone resembling nothing like a circle :pac:), Personally wouldn't pay an extra 60 or whatever on top of ticket for the privilege would rather get a ticket or 2 to another gig(s) tbh. My Bon Jovi ticket was free though so all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was surprised how far back you actually were in Pitch 1. You mustn't be able to see anything in Pitch 2. Maybe Marlay has ruined me :)

As others say, I felt the rain really added to the atmosphere.

There was some dragging out, wasn't mad on the under pressure cover. Something from Thin Lizzy or even U2 would have gone down better.

Great gig though. A lot of the Concrete & Gold stuff comes across a lot better live & loud. La dee da in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

PTH2009 wrote: »

I imagine tonight's gig with Post Malone will be like a war zone. Gangs of wannabe rappers/MMA fighters etc in the one area

Minor skirmish kicked off at a point beside us on Pitch 1, also was a lad in bits went past us prior to the band coming on stage spilling his 2 pints of Guinness on people he batted off towards the end of Run saw him wobbling back past us as he hit the exit could barely stand, end of his night most likely 3rd song ffs.

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Yeah I'm sure there'd be a noticeable difference!
    Glad the missus didn't get tickets!

Suppose Frank Carter was prob not a law abiding citizen in his day lol

Minor skirmish kicked off at a point beside us on Pitch 1, also was a lad in bits went past us prior to the band coming on stage spilling his 2 pints of Guinness on people he batted off towards the end of Run saw him wobbling back past us as he hit the exit could barely stand, end of his night most likely 3rd song ffs.
    Probably the same guy we were walking behind/in front of on the way in. Two lads, one huge big fat guy, both absolutely buckled, waving all over the place, literally bouncing off the walls going down Simmonscourt rd.

I wouldn't mind if they were clearly young fellas, we'e all been there. But they were easily in their 30s. 90 quid wasted because they decided to go get hammered before a gig.

seamus wrote: »
    Probably the same guy we were walking behind/in front of on the way in. Two lads, one huge big fat guy, both absolutely buckled, waving all over the place, literally bouncing off the walls going down Simmonscourt rd.

I wouldn't mind if they were clearly young fellas, we'e all been there. But they were easily in their 30s. 90 quid wasted because they decided to go get hammered before a gig.

Should they have even been left in ???

Seen quite a few drunks at gigs down through the years but never once seen anyone refused entry cause of that issue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Eh? pitch 1 was the same price as pitch 2!

They had golden circle implemented for Bon Jovi alright (despite the zone resembling nothing like a circle :pac:), Personally wouldn't pay an extra 60 or whatever on top of ticket for the privilege would rather get a ticket or 2 to another gig(s) tbh. My Bon Jovi ticket was free though so all the better.

Ah whatever it's called. Point being, we were behind the barrier for Bon Jovi and inside the barrier for Foos and being inside is definitely worth it, whether you have to pay a bit extra or not. A lot more room and comfort and a great view of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

I didn't get to the gig until just when the foos came on as a friend was delayed getting to me but I found pitch 1 jammed when we got there. Was there more room once you got into the middle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Absolutely loved the gig. The man knows how to work a crowd and I (weirdly) thought the rain added to the occasion, almost like we were all part of something!

Highlights were ‘my hero’, ‘best of you’ and ‘monkey wrench’.

Only negative was a mosh pit developing near us
    on pitch 1, which in itself is totally fine of course....but one lad started to get proper agro, doing a hulk hogan-esque rip off of his poncho. Can’t stand that macho bull at a gig where everyone should just be there for the music/craic!

It was a special night for me, I loved every second of it! It did feel like we were part of something :o

mossy464 wrote: »
    I didn't get to the gig until just when the foos came on as a friend was delayed getting to me but I found pitch 1 jammed when we got there. Was there more room once you got into the middle?
    Which side did you come in?

We found there was loads of room when you came in the Simmonscourt gate. For some stupid reason we went all the way to the other side to get beer at the food area, and the pitch was a lot busier on that side.

At the Simmonscourt gate, there was tonnes of room.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

should have got tickets for this one, sounds brilliant...

last time I saw foos was on the nothing to loose tour when they played the Olympia, Dave scaled the side boxes and climbed all around the balcony with guitar in hand... mad dangerous, anyone remember that? 5th of Dec 2000... fack I feel old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    should have got tickets for this one, sounds brilliant...

last time I saw foos was on the nothing to loose tour when they played the Olympia, Dave scaled the side boxes and climbed all around the balcony with guitar in hand... mad dangerous, anyone remember that? 5th of Dec 2000... fack I feel old.

Yeah, I was at that. Phenomenal.

"If you want to sit down for a concert, go home and watch the Woodstock video." :)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Third time seeing them, first was in 2003 and enjoying them more and more as the years go on. The pace of the opening songs was just frantic, incredible energy.

Only downside (and I'm likely to be alone on this) was the organisers handing out thousands of single use plastic bags for the security lines for the coins etc. in your pocket. Needless waste TBH, and a bit surprising given the current environmental culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Too tired to post anything long.

Sound was crystal clear for such a windy night.

New songs sounded great live, especially Run.

When Dave teased Teen Spirit on the drums I nearly lost my sh!t.

What a f*cking band.

I need some sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

PTH2009 wrote: »

Rock crowds are mostly very friendly, some legend gave me 8 euros at the end of the night at Slane (Metallica) so I could the the lads the last beer

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Yeah, I was at that. Phenomenal.

"If you want to sit down for a concert, go home and watch the Woodstock video." :)

also Dave and Taylor doing the drum-off... pure class.. i got a knock moshing and my jaw locked! good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Was that after an impromptu mosh pit? One lad got very agro (I think at his missus being pushed over) and didn't seem to want to let it go. Everyone ignored him until he calmed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

s8n wrote: »
    Hi guys, Dave here using my mate s8n’s account. Thanks for coming, was a great show !!

Ya right.....'dave'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »

Only downside (and I'm likely to be alone on this) was the organisers handing out thousands of single use plastic bags for the security lines for the coins etc. in your pocket. Needless waste TBH, and a bit surprising given the current environmental culture.

I thought this was nuts, so I contacted them this morning and they replied:

"
    Many thanks for your observations.

The RDS are actively engaged with consultants and have a team working on making our venue as sustainable friendly as possible, we aim to reclycle all plastic beer bottles, compress carboard, segregate waste generally for our own events as best possible.

Last nights event was run under licence by a Promotor and we are actively engaged with them to contractually stipulate the non-use of single use plastic.

Kind regards and again we do appreciate the feedback,"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Just wondering what was he referring to before he sang Wheels when he was saying something along the lines of us relating to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Old school fan. Loved the old stuff being played..hey Johnny park was out of the world.new stuff bar run have me time to get some beer. Amazingly sound crowd as always at the foos.

Fantastic energy and he really went full at it in second half. 9/10.

Dave's Almost 50 and still mad...love it.

Advertisement