Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Pro 14- Tv Viewing Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Riskymove wrote: »
    TG4 are not listed there unfortunately

Look again. TG4 is listed for Connacht vs Glasgow and Connacht vs Zebre the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

They definitely are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Listed for me anyway.

• Administrators Posts: 54,087 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I posted the FTA games in Ireland (i.e. the TG4 matches) earlier in the thread:
    awec wrote: »
    FTA games in Ireland until Christmas (there are two weeks with no FTA game).

Cardiff v Leinster
    Scarlets v Leinster
    Munster v Ospreys
    Leinster v Dragons
    Cardiff v Munster
    Connacht v Scarlets
    Connacht v Leinster
    Ospreys v Connacht
    Connacht v Dragons
    Leinster v Ospreys
    Dragons v Leinster
    Connacht v Ulster

Leinster x 6, Munster x 2, Connacht x 5, Ulster x 1.

In the UK, Ulster are never on Freesports, but they are on S4C once and BBC Alba twice.

Basically Ulster fans without Premier Sports won't ever get to see Ulster in English before Christmas at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

MJohnston wrote: »
    They definitely are.

That's very odd - I had a look on the phone instead and can see all the logos

The logos for TG4 and Premier sports are not showing when I look at that page on PC. However, if I hover the cursor in the area where the logo should be the name of channel appears!

thanks anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

OldRio wrote: »
    Well I have eir broadband so happy days.

Any problems with it? I've just taken the nuclear option and cancelled my Virgin subscription so that I can sign up for the €39.99pm Eir Broadband deal and cast Eir Sport. With nippers in the house I cant go to the pub or RDS as much as id like to.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭legohouse

Winters wrote:
    Any problems with it? I've just taken the nuclear option and cancelled my Virgin subscription so that I can sign up for the €39.99pm Eir Broadband deal and cast Eir Sport. With nippers in the house I cant go to the pub or RDS as much as id like to.

I have done same..cancelled virgin just got eir installed today with the tv option.. the rugby on eir made me change
    havent been home yet so will let you know what its like

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Meanwhile while eir hire Tommy Bowe, their friends at Premier Sports have gone for a colleague to host Ulster home games.

Oh, and the commentator’s Mark Robson....

https://www.pro14rugby.org/2018/08/10/trimble-heads-trio-of-top-talent-for-premier-sports-in-northern-ireland/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭OldRio

Winters wrote: »
    r
    Never had any trouble to be honest. We're out in the sticks, Leitrim, therefore the speeds are poor. 4Mb. That's my only complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

icdg wrote: »
    Meanwhile while eir hire Tommy Bowe, their friends at Premier Sports have gone for a colleague to host Ulster home games.

Oh, and the commentator’s Mark Robson....

https://www.pro14rugby.org/2018/08/10/trimble-heads-trio-of-top-talent-for-premier-sports-in-northern-ireland/

What does this mean for games televised by both eir and premier? Will we get to see Trimble and co for certain matches or what?

I’d imagine so, though can’t say for certain. Trimble is seemingly only hosting Ulster home games. What seems to be the case is that Premier Sports is hiring different broadcast teams for games being hosted in Scotland, Wales, and NI. I’d expect we’ll see at least some of that coverage, particularly where there’s no Irish team involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Will Fitzgerald continue doing his analysis for the 6 Nations on the BBC during his time with Eir?

Also; have Eir announced their rugby commentator for their own rugby coverage yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

No legal options available to Virgin Media Ireland customers, unfortunately.

Well, technically there's one legal option - switch your mobile phone to one of the Eir Mobile contracts with the free Sports pack and watch it on your phone. What white_westie said above might indicate you could cast it to your TV too, but that's very unclear. Not a particularly useful option either way imo, as Eir Mobile aren't a very good mobile network.

I have no idea how strong PremierSports' "UK Only" detection is, but I suppose there are ways around that (moving to the UK is what I mean obviously....), and you could get an app-only subscription from them.

<snip> is paid and legal option.

Everyone with issues getting Eir Sports and all the European rugby shoudl subscribe. €60 for the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Heymans wrote: »
    <snip> is paid and legal option.

Incorrect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

is paid and legal option.

You can't really believe this.

• Advertisement

is paid and legal option.

Everyone with issues getting Eir Sports and all the European rugby shoudl subscribe. €60 for the year

There's zero chance that is legal. There's also zero chance your post will not be removed, so I'm redacting the name of the service you posted.

So much for sticking up for the person who is trying to resolve problems of posters on here.

It may or may not be legal but with borderless world of the internet different countries' legal systems may or may not find a remedy to illegal jurisdiction issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

So much for sticking up for the person who is trying to resolve problems of posters on here.

It may or may not be legal but with borderless world of the internet different countries' legal systems may or may not find a remedy to illegal jurisdiction issues.

Its not legal here anyway, and claiming its legal is misleading.

The only salient point here is that you claimed in your original post that it was legal when you didn't know if it was or not.

The only salient point here is that you claimed in your original post that it was legal when you didn't know if it was or not.

By virtue of the fact that it's a paid for service I considered it to be legal.

In hindsight that might not be the best of conclusions to have come to. It is up for debate however I don't think anyone here has definitive proof either way.

Considering all the talk of streaming sites I wished to input my pennys worth given the good quality of streams it provides.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,087 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The only legal way to view the Pro14 in Ireland is via Eir Sports, TG4 and S4C if you can get it.

Other providers are not to be discussed. Paying for them does not make them legal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

In hindsight that might not be the best of conclusions to have come to. It is up for debate however I don't think anyone here has definitive proof either way.

Considering all the talk of streaming sites I wished to input my pennys worth given the good quality of streams it provides.

Unless the content is broadcast on the platforms that paid for the rights, then it's illegal. I'm pretty sure it's also not allowed to discuss these sites on boards as it leaves the site open to legal action.

That is terrible reasoning, I'm afraid. There are countless dodgy services that charge for pirated streams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

You also have to pay for heroin, whats your point? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭kooga

From a516 digital Just getting back on topic - s4c hd is now no longer on the sky irl epg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

kooga wrote: »
    From a516 digital Just getting back on topic - s4c hd is now no longer on the sky irl epg
    One can set it up on the "other channel" facility under services.

https://en.kingofsat.net/detail-s4c.php

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭darklighter

I'm assuming the games on S4C etc. will also be on Eir? (apologies if this has already been answered further up the thread)

Neither is the sd channel. It is still in hd on freesat though.

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/08/s4c-taken-off-irish-sky-epg.html?m=1

Its loss on the sky epg means no record facility but yes still on the freesat box

There may be an overlap in games shown but I assume they will focus on the Welsh regions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Its loss on the sky epg means no record facility but yes still on the freesat box

There may be an overlap in games shown but I assume they will focus on the Welsh regions

May I be a bit pedantic and say that it is possible to manually record 'other channels' on Sky by linking your Sky box to an external video/DVD recorder and ensuring your Sky box is tuned to the channel you want to record from and that it stays tuned to that channel for time you want to record. I know this is awkward to do compared to direct recording from epg but possible nonetheless.

• Advertisement

I'm assuming the games on S4C etc. will also be on Eir? (apologies if this has already been answered further up the thread)

That’s what the original announcement said - all 152 games to be on eir Sport (see https://www.pro14rugby.org/2018/05/03/qa-for-eir-sport-broadcast-partnership/) However right now the Pro14 broadcast schedule shows a number of games not on eir Sport (including at least one involving an Irish team!). Right now games not listed to be on eir Sport but are on S4C are Scarlets v Kings (R5), Cheetahs v Cardiff (R7), Connacht v Dragons (R8, on TG4), Dragons v Edinburgh (R9), Cardiff v Connacht (R14, on TG4), Treviso v Scarlets (R15), and Scarlets v Cheetahs (R16).

Talking of Wales, here’s Premier Sports Welsh crew:

https://www.pro14rugby.org/2018/08/14/sam-warburton-shane-williams-and-martyn-williams-headline-premier-sports-team-in-wales/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I am on Virgin.

I pay 70 p/m for basic tv and pretty decent broadband.

Have decided to move to Eir and will be doing so in the next few weeks.

Their offer currently is around 50p/m for the first 12 of 18 month contract and then 90p/m thereafter.

I know a few people with Eir broadband in my area and they say it is very good. We're not heavy users in my house.

Tbh it's a pretty good deal in my eyes. I could never justify paying too much for Sky/ BT because I wouldn't get much use as I only really watch rugby and they never really showed enough as they shared the games and Sky had barely any pro14 anyway

But now that they're all on the same platform, I have no problem paying 20 a month extra as I'd happily watch 2-3 rugby games a week. And all the Heineken Cup is on BT now.

At that rate you’re paying €7 a month less not €20 more. If you average it out over 18 months it’s only €63 a month which isn’t bad really.

Wonder will Eir Sports and Premier have separate presenters,
    commentators, summarisers and panellists for Pro 14 games? Will there e.g. be 2 separate sets of panellists for Ulster home games with both Tommy Bowe as well as Andrew Trimble hosting coverage?
    As Eir Sports 2 shows exactly the same programmes as Premier Sports 1 I wonder what will happen if there are 2 separate teams employed by each of the broadcasters?

Wonder will Eir Sports and Premier have separate presenters,
    commentators, summarisers and panellists for Pro 14 games? Will there e.g. be 2 separate sets of panellists for Ulster home games with both Tommy Bowe as well as Andrew Trimble hosting coverage?
    As Eir Sports 2 shows exactly the same programmes as Premier Sports 1 I wonder what will happen if there are 2 separate teams employed by each of the broadcasters?

They haven't been clear on that. If Ulster are playing a Welsh team at home I'd imagine Trimble's team will be in the studio and there will just be one set of commentators with someone pitchside. The same feed going to eir and premier. Perhaps some of the Welsh team might come over to provide a neutral team.

The Welsh would probably have a home game to cover in Wales anyway. They could do with a balanced team in the studio. No point having Trimble and all Ulster lads focusing on just Ulster with the feed going to Wales.

E.g. the 1st weekend Cardiff and the Ospreys are both at home on the Friday evening at the same time. I'd imagine there will just be one studio team at one ground with just commentators at the 2nd game. Like what happens with Sky on the rugby.

The following day Connacht and Munster are at home - presumably the studio will be at Thomond Park and cover both games from there.

I doubt somehow Tommy Bowe will be presenting 6-7 games a weekend - that would be a very heavy workload! What Premier seems to be doing is that there will be three crews, one for Ulster games, one for Welsh games, and one for Scottish games, and that for games taking place in those jurisdictions, the particular crew will be used. Then you will have the eir Sport crew who I presume will be used for games taking place in Ireland. Obviously that leaves Italian and South African games - I can see derbies in those countries being presented with no wrap (let’s face it the interest in those games here won’t exactly be huge) with the relevant crew of the opposing team’s country being used for this their games.

That’s just how I see it working incidentally based on what Premier have put out so far, obviously we have to wait and see what happens in practice!

But for Irish derbies e.g. Ulster vs Munster will both Tommy Bowe for Eir Sports and Andrew Trimble for Premier Sports both be on site?

But for Irish derbies e.g. Ulster vs Munster will both Tommy Bowe for Eir Sports and Andrew Trimble for Premier Sports both be on site?

I'd imagine you will see a mix of both for the big derbies. You would think there would still be just the one studio.

More than likely a one off to launch the season.

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1029728825385668613

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

They were testing eir sport one hd on sky last week so at least that much of it will be done

That’s great news (and about time, we had Setanta Ireland HD, as was, on UPC, as also was, about a decade ago!)

Mind you they say free to air, but I’d lay several bets they mean free to view (ie Sky digibox and viewing card required).

Also, eir are the new referees sponsor, so no more Specsavers jokes:

https://www.eirsport.ie/leinster-s-clash-with-blues-will-be-free-to-air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭nc6000

bennyl10 wrote:
    They were testing eir sport one hd on sky last week so at least that much of it will be done

My Eir Sport 1 is now in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

Lads, is the only way I can watch this (living in England now) getting Premier Sports package or a sky sports package?

Scythica wrote: »
    Lads, is the only way I can watch this (living in England now) getting Premier Sports package or a sky sports package?

Premier Sports. Sky no longer have any Pro14 (or European rugby) coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Scythica wrote: »

Sky don’t have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Has anyone seen an announcement for the TV rights in Europe yet? Living in Holland and last year could get all the games on teh eurosport app.

You’ll have to squint to read this one, but it’s a got a bit of detail on how Premier Sports will be presenting the Pro14. Also, it seems they have picked up some rights to the PRL “A” League for their English viewers.

http://twitter.com/carolyn_hitt/status/1030744442339246081?s=21

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Account suspended?

• Advertisement
Advertisement