Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guinness Pro 14- Tv Viewing Options

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I see the fixture list has been updated with the Eir Sport logo up on the page including DAZN & both Freesports & Premier Sports as separate logos to know which match is on from whichever channel has the rights. There is also the SA broadcasters logo (with the red 'S' & the orange tip on it) which had appeared there since last season since two SA teams joined the Pro14 last season but the broadcasters logo is named as BBC Alba?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Clegg wrote: »
    Tommy Bowe, Luke Fitz, DoC, Mazzie Reilly and Murray Kinsella are the Eir Sport pundits for next season's Pro 14.

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1026868549699207172?s=19

No Connacht reps is disappointing, there’s enough Munster and Leinster pundits around the place as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

its_phil wrote: »
    No Connacht reps is disappointing, there’s enough Munster and Leinster pundits around the place as it is.

In fairness, Bowe, Fitz and DOC are Grand Slam winners and test Lions. There's no comparable Connacht player out there.

But this is just the press release. They'll need a lot more pundits over the course of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

awec wrote: »
    I think his analysis is a load of bollocks tbh.

DeliriousDaringAmmonite-size_restricted.gif

In fairness, Bowe, Fitz and DOC are Grand Slam winners and test Lions. There's no comparable Connacht player out there.

But this is just the press release. They'll need a lot more pundits over the course of the season.

That’s great, but the amount of bluffing and repeated throw away lines when it comes to taking about Connacht is usually a joke. Hopefully, like you say, more will be announced and Bowe hosting should be interesting.

Don’t know how DOC will be critical of Munster when he’s a corporate ambassador for the province.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Or incredibly boring and mundane if he is anything like how he writes.

"Well Tommy, if we spend 5 minutes going through this line break frame by frame, you will see here that this player should have been approximately 3.2 feet to his left, with his arm at a slightly more acute angle. However because this other player was running at him at a velocity of 4 feet per second, it caused him to take a step to the right roughly 1.2 seconds earlier than he should have, and this caused the line break".

I think he'll be forced to dial the detail back because it'll have no mainstream appeal. There is a reason he doesn't have a writing gig with an actual media outlet.

He has already done the RWC with TV3 and been excellent. He gave good insight and obviously doesn't have the time/format to deliver in depth tactical analysis.

I suspect the reason he's not with a traditional media outlet is that he would never be able to write the pieces that he does with The42. I don't particularly enjoy the hyper analysis but there's a market for it and he has a strong following that would evaporate if he was shoehorned into writing pieces in the IT or Indo.

He's also their chief rugby writer. He gets sent to the away tours etc. He was in NZ last summer. He was in Australia this summer. He gets close to the players and the action. If he went to one of the other publications, he'd be fighting with Thornley, Watterson, Cummiskey, ROC etc. for the nod to go on these tours and seniority would be likely to prevail for first refusal.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Who would be good for Connacht? Maybe Jackman... but he's tied up a bit.

I'd like to see someone from Connacht on there but not sure how many in the media are ex-Connacht. Maybe one of the women from out west...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That’s great, but the amount of bluffing and repeated throw away lines when it comes to taking about Connacht is usually a joke. Hopefully, like you say, more will be announced and Bowe hosting should be interesting.

Don’t know how DOC will be critical of Munster when he’s a corporate ambassador for the province.

As a matter of interest, who from Connacht has gone into punditry? What candidates could they choose from?

The line up for Eir Sports is about recognition and developing their show and brand. DOC, Bowe and Fitz are not great. Fitz will throw something controversial out once in a while but will probably contradict himself before long. Bowe is going to be anchor so I don't see him giving much opinion or being much more than a pretty face. DOC has looked very uncomfortable in front of the camera previously on Sky; hopefully he improves.

Choices for a Connacht option would have been slim enough. Michael Swift? Eric Elwood? Gavin Duffy? Eir simply weren't going to take any of those guys over the three former players they've gone with for the panel. They could be brilliant or could be awful but a recognisable face will do more for their viewing figures in their first season.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

stephen_n wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, who from Connacht has gone into punditry? What candidates could they choose from?
    What's Mike McCarthy at these days?

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    The line up for Eir Sports is about recognition and developing their show and brand. DOC, Bowe and Fitz are not great. Fitz will throw something controversial out once in a while but will probably contradict himself before long. Bowe is going to be anchor so I don't see him giving much opinion or being much more than a pretty face. DOC has looked very uncomfortable in front of the camera previously on Sky; hopefully he improves.
    I think DOC is great to listen to tbh, he's interesting.

The way Bowe talks annoys me.

I think DOC is great to listen to tbh, he's interesting.

The way Bowe talks annoys me.

As an informal chat on something like the OTB roadshows, brilliant value. As a pundit on Skysports, painful. He was incredibly uncomfortable and rigid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I was wondering the same - I thought he was decent enough the few times I saw him on Sky.

Ronan Loughney, Mike McCarthy, Fionn Carr and George Naoupu would be four big available names out west. The other big names would have been Muldoon, O'Loughlin, Elwood, Wilkinson, McFarland and O'Connor but they are all involved in coaching.

Loughney in particular was good with TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I suppose Duffy, McCarthy or Swift? Andrew Dunne maybe? I'm not totally bothered by no Connacht pundit, just don't know if Luke and DOC are right calls for quality wise.

Having DOC when he is contracted to Munster is gonna dilute alot of what he has to say you'd imagine. I prefer him when he is co-commenting than being a pundit.
    I enjoy Luke's podcast when he is chatting with players informally, but when he is giving his own opinion on matches I find myself rolling my eyes to him alot (particular when he talks about Connacht, can tell he doesn't do any homework on them)

I enjoy Downey and McCloughlin on The Hard Yard podcast and they may have been worth pursuing

Tbh, I know Eir is Ireland centred but I was hoping for a Scottish, Welsh, Italian and South African pundit too

I don't get the Murray slagging - if you think his articles are overkill fair enough, but give the 42 Podcast a try and he is much more concise in getting to what his point is. I think he'll be brilliant on TV with some software gadgets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

A good line up I think. Looking forward to having the coverage now.

Tommy was the main interviewer for the Rugby Players Ireland awards this year.

He was ok. You can tell he is a really nice and affable fella and it comes accross, but he couldn't hide how hard he was trying. More exposure will solve that. I think he will be really good.

I listen to Lukes podcast every week and am a huge fan. I liked his stuff on Sky Sports too. He's good at being the fall guy. Can see Donncha and Tommy ripping the piss out of him a bit. It's clear how much he likes exciting rugby. Looking forward to seeing him gushing over some tries.

DOC is just pure charisma, was born to be on telly. Great acquisition

I have only seen a bit of Maz Reilly. But she seemed happy in interviews to give answers that weren't just your run of the mill stock replies. Hopefully will tell it like it is.

I have so much time for Murray. I have been to a few live shows of his rugby show he does for the 42. He speaks very well. True nerd of the game. Was wasted at the WC being paired with Sinead Kissane who I think is just a really poor journalist and anchor

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ronan Loughney, Mike McCarthy, Fionn Carr and George Naoupu would be four big available names out west. The other big names would have been Muldoon, O'Loughlin, Elwood, Wilkinson, McFarland and O'Connor but they are all involved in coaching.

Loughney in particular was good with TG4.

Mike McCarthy would be good I’d say, he’s got a great sense of humor. Loughney might yet end up there, they will need another forward for input.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Justice for Neil Francis.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I spoke to a guy in eir yesterday and he said that that you can cast from either the mobile sports app or the broadband app even though on the website it says the mobile app is not chrome cast enabled. He said they just say this to encourage people on to broadband.

Does anyone know if there's any truth to this and have you successfully cast eir sports to your TV as a mobile only customer?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The €27.50 us DTH satellite subscribers have to pay for a service with no app (just setantago.com on a PC/Mac, when it works) is enough to drive one to Eir Broadband. If only I could get it (no line into the house, apparently thanks to a botched lay service in the estate).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

I spoke to a guy in eir yesterday and he said that that you can cast from either the mobile sports app or the broadband app even though on the website it says the mobile app is not chrome cast enabled. He said they just say this to encourage people on to broadband.

Does anyone know if there's any truth to this and have you successfully cast eir sports to your TV as a mobile only customer?

Don't think Eir guy gave you full story.
    If you are a Sim Only customer, you have access to Eir Sports but you must use the Red Eir Sports app, which does not support casting.
    We tried it at home the last few days and what we found, is that using screen mirroring on the phone to a chromecast, the video and audio will play on the tv for about 30-60seconds before it freezes. Tried it with a roku box as well, but it had no video just audio.

My understanding is that if you are an Eir broadband customer, or a bill pay mobile customer, then you can use the Eir Sport green app which fully supports casting!
    In either case you login in with your myeir account.

Question for others - am wondering if you can run the Eir Sport Red app on an android box which is connected directly to a tv, so no casting involved!
    Eir just talk about using a phone or tablet to run tha app, so am not too sure if the app does some form of hardware checking (chipset/GPU) to see if it should run.

If anyone knows any different, then I am open to correction.

So I gather virgin customers have no way of getting EIR right? I'm not moving from Virgin as the internet is too reliable.

Can you just pay for the App?

I'd be willing to pay something reasonable, if it's unreasonable I'm just going to stream.

So I gather virgin customers have no way of getting EIR right? I'm not moving from Virgin as the internet is too reliable.

I'd be willing to pay something reasonable, if it's unreasonable I'm just going to stream.

No way of getting Eir as a Virgin customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

No way of getting Eir as a Virgin customer.

Out of interest do Virgin subscribers in NI get Eir Sports 1 as well as Premier Sports 1/2?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Another 'out of interest' question - has anyone signed up for the PremierSports Player option UKP9.99/mth as a broadband only user ie: not getting it through their sky or virgin media tv package?

No legal options available to Virgin Media Ireland customers, unfortunately.

Well, technically there's one legal option - switch your mobile phone to one of the Eir Mobile contracts with the free Sports pack and watch it on your phone. What white_westie said above might indicate you could cast it to your TV too, but that's very unclear. Not a particularly useful option either way imo, as Eir Mobile aren't a very good mobile network.

I have no idea how strong PremierSports' "UK Only" detection is, but I suppose there are ways around that (moving to the UK is what I mean obviously....), and you could get an app-only subscription from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭PMC83

I've been around the block on this one.

Mobile only
    , (pay as you go) -No APP
    Mobile only, (bill) -Red App, wont cast. BUT if you have an iphone you can buy 'Mirror Iphone to Samsung' for 5 quid. It works great. Though image is closer to SD the HD.
    Mobile +Tv/Broadband- Green App- you can cast with this, but if you have the TV package why bother.

I'm actually looking at buying myself a nice samsung tablet, which I believe will mirror whatever is on screen to my samsung Tv. Mirroring is different to chrome cast so cant be blocked.

Eir unfortunately cant install in my house as the phone line is hidden somewhere in the wall and they wont run a new one in for me unless I pay a third party crowd to do it. They are VERY tricky to deal with on the phone, and the tech guys are actually third party as well so it really feels like you are consonantly being told 'you need to talk to the next guy'.

Another 'out of interest' question - has anyone signed up for the PremierSports Player option UKP9.99/mth as a broadband only user ie: not getting it through their sky or virgin media tv package?

Can you get that in the republic? Or northern Ireland only?

PMC83 wrote: »
    Can you get that in the republic? Or northern Ireland only?

If you want to spend the 9.99 to test out that theory, please go ahead, but I don't think anyone else has yet, so nobody knows.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    If you want to spend the 9.99 to test out that theory, please go ahead, but I don't think anyone else has yet, so nobody knows.

:D I think I may let someone else. Tbh its just same theres no PRO12 app you can directly subscribe to. Save everyone a world of hurt.

Advertisement