Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stallions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 strik

myfeelings wrote: »

Acclamation will also be a hot sire at the sales and rightly so.

His fee is 35k this year but think he is well worth it ... leading sire of 2yo in europe.... this branch of the Northern dancer line through try my best, waajib and Royal Applause is turning out to be a very speedy line!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MassDeb8r

Yeats €9,000

I would in a heartbeat, produce a nice staying mare like Quevega or Solerina and away we go !!

Nice pull-out in yesterdays Racing post on New Stallions 2012,some less than 10k below
    Name
    Stud
    Rating
    fee
    Zoffany
    Coolmore
    Roderic O'connor---Ballyhane
    Lovelace
    Springlodge
    Lilbourne Lad
    Rathbarry
    Frozen power
    Ballyhane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Didn't realise Air Chief Marshall was at stud. Has had a very good reception, covered 120 mares at 3k a pop.

I'm really not a fan of sending horses to stud after their two year old season.

• Advertisement

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I'm really not a fan of sending horses to stud after their two year old season.

Fillies or Colts?... Always nicer to know if they trained on.

Colts strik

Colts strik

He was a good horse Lilbourne Lad but it would have been nice to see what he did as a 3 and 4yo .... out of that group I think Lovelace is the best value!he trained on & he is the joint highest rated horse by Royal Applause with Acclamation who is booked out this year at a price of 35k

Who has been your most disappointing sire?

I know it's early days yet but do not like Dylan Thomas one bit as a sire. He had some nice mares sent to him and no stakes winners yet

Who has been your most disappointing sire?

I know it's early days yet but do not like Dylan Thomas one bit as a sire. He had some nice mares sent to him and no stakes winners yet

Poor start with his 2yo but it may be early to call he found huge improvement as a 3yo himself so it will be interesting to see how his 3yo do this year.... would say a lot of them will find improvement and could be worth following from a betting point of view!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 horseboy

Hi guys, am new.

really interesting thread this I would love to know more about the breeding side to the game but it's difficult to find a lot out there on the web. does anyone have any informing links or sites ect as I'd love to know more. At the minute I just use the racingpost website where you can browse through what sire's have produced ect? How does one decide what will make a good NH stallion ect? I have so many questions :D

Personally I have always thought that if I had a broodmare and I had say 10-15k to get it covered I'd go for Zamindar who has produced some lovely fillies.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mike.l

strik wrote: »
    .... out of that group I think Lovelace is the best value!he trained on & he is the joint highest rated horse by Royal Applause with Acclamation who is booked out this year at a price of 35k

Nice review of him in the Irish Field this week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

New Approach did the business with his first 2yo runner Dawn Approach at the Curragh on Sunday. Galileo is turning out to be a sire of sires.

http://bloodstock.racingpost.com/news/bloodstock/derby-hero-new-approach-off-to-a-flyer-at-stud/1005916/top/

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭JimDeChamp

It's a type of grading system i.e. a++, a+, a, b+, b, c+, c, d, f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Musir has just joined coolmore Australia .The worst sire at the moment is motivator by a country mile.

JimDeChamp wrote: »
    It's a type of grading system i.e. a++, a+, a, b+, b, c+, c, d, f

Cheers Jim, the higher the variant the better it is?

Yea a++ in theory is the best possible mating... But then again it's all about what works with the mare

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

Fastnet Rock has had 100 winners so far this season in Australia. Possibly the next big Coolmore sire. He's standing in Tipp at the moment.

Listed as private but is 50k this year, fella in Coolmore said they had it as private because they didn't know what to charge as they didn't want him to cover a huge book of mares?? I'm not quite sure why.

Bit of a noob question: Just how close can inbreeding be. For example, could you send a daughter of Sadler's Wells to a son of Galileo?

• Advertisement

Bit of a noob question: Just how close can inbreeding be. For example, could you send a daughter of Sadler's Wells to a son of Galileo?
    Not sure Urban but this looks quite uncomfortably close.
    Inbreeding to Urban Sea a possible risk - Bolger

JIM Bolger confirmed on Tuesday that he is to send eight mares to Sea The Stars - two of the daughters of the Gilltown stallion's half-brother Galileo. Bolger conceded that the mating between Sea The Stars and Lush Lashes, the trainer's triple Group 1-winning daughter of Galileo, could be "slightly risky" as it creates 2x3 inbreeding to Urban Sea. The resulting foal will also be inbred 4x4 to Danzig through Sea The Stars' sire Cape Cross and Lush Lashes' damsire Anabaa.

Last season's 1,000 Guineas runner-up Cuis Ghaire, another of Bolger's high-performing daughters of Galileo, has also been booked to Sea The Stars.

"It is slightly risky but it's worked before," said Bolger, who bought out partner John Corcoran in Lush Lashes when the bidding reached 1.8 million guineas at last year's Tattersalls December Sale.

"Marcel Boussac had a lot of success inbreeding. If it doesn't work the first time, there is always a chance that it could work down the line - a filly bred like that could become a very good broodmare. It's the best going to the best."

http://bloodstock.racingpost.com/news/bloodstock/sea-the-stars-lush-lashes-maoineach-cuis-ghaire-blas-ceoil-inbreeding-to-urban-sea-a-possible-risk-bolger/680563/

That does look very close

Third race at Cork today sees Henrythenavigator's first runner ( I think), or first in the UK and Ireland anyway. Think he should make a good stallion, top pedigree, won't be through lack of chances if he fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 the fella who

Alright guys, which national hunt stallion represents good value now??

How much have you to spend...?

JimDeChamp wrote: »
    How much have you to spend...?
    Eh I have two mares that a mate wants to cover, he's willing to spend up to 5000 euro in total, I think thats too much!!!! Especially looking at NH foal prices, ive been trying to root out a stallion that might be about to become popular, its not easy though. One of the mares is accordion, the other Lahib.

Getaway is a beauty, royal anthem Is a nice horse, scorpin has fine big foals

what about daylami?? or doyen??

Two I really like are Gold Well (full brother to Montjeu) and Court Cave(full brother to Beat Hollow). Have really impressed me this season as NH stallions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 myfeelings

Daylami's progeny seem to have serious problems with their wind. If your mare is any way unsound stay clear(prob shouldnt be breeding from her anyways if she is). Getaway being German bred is very tough and genuine and covered a large book last year at a reasonable price, Monsun will turn into a very good sire of National Hunt sires with Schiaparelli also going to be a good horse to breed from.

Stowaway covered a huge book last year so maybe if ye're thinking of selling as a store in 5 years his stock could be winning when your selling. Keep your covering fee as low as low as possible as the price of keeping mares and going to vets is astronomical. Getting large vet bills is not a nice feeling. The trick with choosing any stallion when possibly selling the progeny is having a good idea what will be selling in a few years and not just what is selling now.

"The trick with choosing any stallion when possibly selling the progeny is having a good idea what will be selling in a few years and not just what is selling now"

I'm not been smart here or anything but in all honesty if we knew that we would be millionaires...

Jumping stallions are alot different to flat stallions, Some jumping stallions never go out of fashion...!

Doyen is a nice horse, was always gonna make a decent jumping stallion.

yeah doyen pricey enough though,especially if you get landed with fillies. Anyone hear anything about Robin Des Pres in Anngrove??

myfeelings wrote: »
    Daylami's progeny seem to have serious problems with their wind. If your mare is any way unsound stay clear(prob shouldnt be breeding from her anyways if she is). Getaway being German bred is very tough and genuine and covered a large book last year at a reasonable price, Monsun will turn into a very good sire of National Hunt sires with Schiaparelli also going to be a good horse to breed from.

Stowaway covered a huge book last year so maybe if ye're thinking of selling as a store in 5 years his stock could be winning when your selling. Keep your covering fee as low as low as possible as the price of keeping mares and going to vets is astronomical. Getting large vet bills is not a nice feeling. The trick with choosing any stallion when possibly selling the progeny is having a good idea what will be selling in a few years and not just what is selling now.
    Yeah Stowaway is full up this season,with Whytemount stud I think, they are also standing Mr.Dinos who I looked at couple of years ago, thought he was nice enough, but probably not selling at the minute. Want to try find a horse like stowaway!!!

Will you be sending the two mares to the same stallion?

• Advertisement

Would ye not just take a chance and send one mare to flemensfirth...?

He was hoping to spend about 5k between the two, Flemensfirth is at 10k this year

Who ever told you that is having a laugh.. He might be 10k for the people willing to pay that for him

Why would they list it on their site if they're having a laugh

Do you believe everything you read..?

• Advertisement

Obviously not, but how much would they negotiate for one of the top NH stallions in the country when he could probably fill a full book at his fee

Alot, I was even surprised how much they dropped...! Depends on the sex of the foal too

Interesting. Would they cover it for free if the mare was really top class?

No two mares dont have to go to same stallion, I thought maybe same stud so I could hammer out deal, its a tricky business, the ones I fancy are pricey and the rest all have pros and cons, time is ticking away so see what happens, some stallion is going to come out of the pack as regards Flemensfirth, I cant see them really dealing too much. In fairness Coolmore seem to have the best selection and they noyt over priced, noticed Golan getting a couple of 4yo maiden winners in ptp recently, which is good, seen as I have a nice 3yo!!!

I stand by Court Cave and Gold Well. Think they're going to be very popular over the years,I read today Court Cave covered something like 140 mares last year or is booked to this year

They'll deal when it comes to flemensfirth, price isn't really to do with the mare, more so to do with the owner... What stallions were you thinking of..?

Furner's Green is odds on for the Guineas trial at Leopardstown. Will be a first group win for Dylan Thomas should he win. Interesting that Bolger sends an unraced colt by Teofilo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Dealing with a lower class of Stallion here but Thousand Words had his first winner on friday from his third runner in Lyric Ace for Richard Hannon. He won very comfortably beating the Brocklesby runner up into third.
    It could turn out to be a good sire to follow for 2 year olds.

Furner's Green is odds on for the Guineas trial at Leopardstown. Will be a first group win for Dylan Thomas should he win. Interesting that Bolger sends an unraced colt by Teofilo
    Well Furner's Green did the business for Dylan Thomas in the Guineas Trial and his runners in the Ballysax ran well enough. His progeny seem to be the type to improve with age, he could have a decent future as a stallion yet.

Teofilo showed he can get classic contenders with Light Heavy winning the Ballysax today, the form isn't up to much but Galileo is beginning to look like an excellent sire of sires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 myfeelings

Akeed Mofeed is by Dubawi not Dylan Thomas. As for Galileo being an excellent sire of sires that is very early to say as New Approach's are only starting to race and Teo's are only 3 this season and we're only at the start of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement