Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A-ha

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

I take it no one agrees or disagrees, or couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

Calmez vous Big Tone ! I agree that they are an extremely under-rated band. I absolutely ADORE their album Scoundrel Days and listen to it on a regular basis. I think it very much stands the test of time and I never get sick of it..

LadyW wrote: »
    Calmez vous Big Tone ! I agree that they are an extremely under-rated band. I absolutely ADORE their album Scoundrel Days and listen to it on a regular basis. I think it very much stands the test of time and I never get sick of it..

Well I'm glad someone else thinks so, had to bump this up so it wouldn't slide without a reaction.

I agree with you, 1986's Scoundrel Days is great album and a worthy follow-up to 1985's Hunting High And Low.

Have you checked out any of their material since 2000-2010, it shows how they've actually got better over time.

I was at their last UK date for the "Ending on a high note" tour in Wembley Arena and it was a mind-blowing concert, absolutely unforgettable. Morten Harket is on record as the only pop singer who can sing five octaves and sounds brilliant live.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

Yes, I bought Minor Earth, Major Sky recently but em.. haven't got round to listening it yet... That concert sounds amazing! Would love to have seen them live.. ah well....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Responsible for some of the greatest pop singles of all time. I think Scoundrel Days remains their best album, but I really like East of the Sun West of the Moon and Memorial Beach, which are more organic sounding albums that their normal synth pop sound.
    Some of the post-reunion albums outstay their welcome, Lifelines in particular, as they opted for a democratic sharing of songwriting duties, rather than just having ten or twelve strong tracks. Analogue and Foot of the Mountain are arguably their best later albums.
    Paul Waaktaar's other band, Savoy, are also well worth investigation.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Bono was definitely listening to Sun Always Shines On TV when he wrote Beautiful Day thats for sure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I think they are so underated because back in the 80s they were marketed at teenage girls (I was one at the time, and yes, I wanted to be the girl in THAT video) and so were written off as candyfloss band.

We seem to be coming back around to an appreciation of a really good pop tune. One of the simple pleasures in life and not easy to find. .

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

My brother is a huge fan and I grew up listening to them (23 now).
    I think they are fantastic.

'Out of Blue comes Green' must be one of my favourite songs of all time.
    Needless to mention that songs like 'Hunting High and low' 'The Living Daylights' are pop perfection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I think they've suffered badly because of Take On Me and their original marketing as a fluffy teen band. They were anything but if you take the handful of bubblegum pop singles they released out of the equation. Some of their lyrics were a bit dark and unlike a lot of the teen bands which replaced them on the walls of teenage bedrooms, they wrote their own music and played their own instruments. I can only think of one cover version they did and that was an unusual choice - Crying in the Rain by The Everly Brothers.

I've got most of their albums and while I find them all a bit uneven, there's plenty of worthwhile music on them.

On a side note, I'd love to know where the fountain of youth that Morten Harket is drinking out of is hidden. The man turns 52 this year :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 TicTacWoe

One of the best 80s synth pop groups imo. This being one of the best songs of the period:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Ah yeah, always had time for A-ha.

Good news for A-ha fans both old and new.

A year ago this month, a-ha launched their final world tour in South America. The Ending on a High Note tour was a live celebration of a-ha’s 25 year career, which included stops in 63 cities in 21 countries, and culminated in four concerts in their home town of Oslo last December.

The band’s last ever live concert took place on December 4, 2010, and was recorded for release on DVD.

http://a-ha.com/news/articles/ending-on-a-high-note-live-dvd/

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

Myself and the mrs were at the final gig in Oslo.....was a great gig, the dvd should be a treat for any fan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭bradlente

They're a quality band,good cheesy electro-pop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

As poster in thread said ,when they first burst on the sceen with Take on me it was the teenybopper market they appealed to most but they had a heavier, more raunchy style to their act to come . I saw them in concert at in the RDS in Dublin back in 1986 ,still have the ticket stub and Hearld cuttings of that great gig . :)

Scoundrel Days is a great album and much better produced than the debt album ' Hunting High and Low ' with great tracks like Weight of the Wind ,I'm losing you , Cry Wolf and the very nordic ' Soft Rains of April and as mentioned by other poster ,U2's Beautiful day is really Scoundrel Days in disguise .;)

I also love Stay on these Roads with 'The Blood That Moves the Body,' 'Touchy' and 'You Are the One.'

Some other great album tracks that stand out are Crying in the Rain , Early Morning ,Move to Memphis ,Sun always Shines on tv and the beautiful (and also very Nordic sounding ) ' Forever Not Yours '

They are one of those band that didn't fit into any particular category, with there own style of rock but there's no doubt that A-HA are one of the great 80s bands

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Latchy wrote: »
    U2's Beautiful day is really Scoundrel Days in disguise .;)

Do you not mean Beautiful Day is ripped off The Sun Always Shines on TV? The guitar-driven Live in South America version of The Sun Always Shines on TV is excellent, and exposes the similarities even more.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Do you not mean Beautiful Day is ripped off The Sun Always Shines on TV? The guitar-driven Live in South America version of The Sun Always Shines on TV is excellent, and exposes the similarities even more.

Yeah I had ment to include Sun Always Shines to as also mentioned by jerryhandbags in my quote and If you listen to the thumping synth /bass line in Scoundrel Days , it's also very similar to Beautiful Day , something I hadn't noticed till I listened again recently .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It was nice to see them getting some recognition in later years and that they got back together to make some new music in the 2000s. I get the impression that the 3 guys wouldn't be exactly best buddies but they did manage to hold things together for a long time.

Hopefully Mags the keyboard player won't have too much trouble with his dodgy ticker :(

I never knew Mags has heart problems. That would explain a lot. Thanks for that link Firetrap.

Interesting video there too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

Aha are doing rock in Rio this sept and are launching a new tour and album called (cast in steel) new single is out in July called under the make up.great band and a lot more to them than take on me.best albums in my opinion is.scoundrel days .minor earth.and analogue

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

Aha are a fantastic band with Lifelines being my favourite track, followed by Scoundrel Days. Stay On These Roads another belter of a tune

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Would love to see a Dublin gig on the new tour ,I'm sure that they would have no bother selling the 3arena out.

They seem to be playing all seated gigs in the UK and the ticket prices are steep.
    Gigs on the continent have standing and are much more reasonably priced.

The new album is out,its not bad .

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

bradlente wrote: »
    They're a quality band, good cheesy electro-pop.

Jeez - you can't have read the rest of the thread - that's exactly the misconception that everyone's talking about!

Happened across this thread and just thought I'd echo the sentiment that they're hugely underrated.

Back with an acoustic tour too in June this year and early next year with a live album and dvd to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭urbangoo

A-ha are in no way a ‘cheesy’ band!

I have always said they are hugely underrated.

It would be great if they played Dublin on their acoustic tour but it’s probably not likely. I had to travel to the UK for their Ending on a High Note tour in 2011 and also their Cast In Steel tour last year.

They have so many great songs. Some of my favourites are I Wish I Cared, Velvet, Turn The Lights Down, Stay On These Roads and Manhattan Skyline.

I will never tire of listening to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Big Tone wrote: »
    I never knew Mags has heart problems. That would explain a lot. Thanks for that link Firetrap.

Interesting video there too..

Just when i couldn't have anymore contempt for Coldplay he says A-Ha shaped his music no wonder :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

urbangoo wrote: »
    A-ha are in no way a ‘cheesy’ band!

I have always said they are hugely underrated.

It would be great if they played Dublin on their acoustic tour but it’s probably not likely. I had to travel to the UK for their Ending on a High Note tour in 2011 and also their Cast In Steel tour last year.

They have so many great songs. Some of my favourites are I Wish I Cared, Velvet, Turn The Lights Down, Stay On These Roads and Manhattan Skyline.

For the love of God no! Not that one! ;) Can't argue with the rest though. :)

Yeah, can't see the acoustic show coming this way - I'll be hoping to get a ticket for the Oslo shows in June - but I think it's limited to 300 tickets per show so it's gonna be a tall order :(
    Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Just when i couldn't have anymore contempt for Coldplay he says A-Ha shaped his music no wonder :rolleyes:

An Oasis fan slagging off another band. Some people have no self-awareness :D

Confirming what some of us know already - Jason Lytle of acclaimed indie-band Grandaddy waxes lyrical of his love for A-Ha. It'd a really interesting listen...

http://www.fidelityhigh.com/jason-lytle-podcast/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

Aha playing in London in the o2 on 14th of February 2018. Playing acoustic

Advertisement