Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A-ha

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

crock! wrote: »
    Aha playing in London in the o2 on 14th of February 2018. Playing acoustic
    Yup, decided to take the plunge and buy a ticket for a hometown gig in Oslo next Feb. Acoustic will really suit them I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

Yup, decided to take the plunge and buy a ticket for a hometown gig in Oslo next Feb. Acoustic will really suit them I reckon.

Oslo would be great.ive two boys that love them so it would be a little pricey to go to Oslo. There 15 and 12.hope you have a ball. Acoustic will work really well with there music.

crock! wrote:
    Oslo would be great.ive two boys that love them so it would be a little pricey to go to Oslo. There 15 and 12.hope you have a ball. Acoustic will work really well with there music.

Get to London or one of the European shows! Great to hear you've passed their music on to your lads! Great work!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭omah

Thanks for posting details of Aha's European gigs, what a great band! Their "Take on Me" video was ground breaking.

What are yer toughts on the new unplugged album

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

my first crush (do people use that word anymore?)

I heard someone saying it in a nurseing home

I heard someone saying it in a nurseing home

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I didnt like it at all ,doesnt really suit the songs slowing them down like that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Big Tone wrote: »
    Does anyone here agree, or not, that A-ha are one of the most underrated bands of all time in this part of the world (Uk and Ireland) and the US? They've always been know for "Take on me" and THAT video, kind of regarded as one hit wonders in the US but they had so much more.

Agreed. They were a guilty pleasure for yearts. I saw them live and they were excellent.
    I think they were synth pop and unless you're Kraftwerk, that opens you up to being dismissed.

• Advertisement

It's really really good. Most of A-Ha's songs are written on guitar/piano by Paul/Magne anyway so the migration to acoustic works really well.

For my money the songs that work best are Forever Not Yours, Stay On These Roads, This Alone Is Love and the f**king epic version of Manhattan Skyline. I really like the version of The Killing Moon with Ian McCullough too. Morten sounds great throughout - lovely to hear them do a cover of Bridges' Sox Of the Fox too.

You're right Matt, they were dismissed for years but I think that's changed a lot over the last 15 years. Their first two albums have been pretty much reappraised and it was no surprise to see them get a Q Inspiration award about ten years ago. The fact that the likes of Ian McCullough is prepared to travel to the middle of nowhere in Norway to appear with them speaks volumes and it was great to see Jason Lyttle of Grandaddy sing their praises earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Agreed. They were a guilty pleasure for yearts. I saw them live and they were excellent. I think they were synth pop and unless you're Kraftwerk, that opens you up to being dismissed.

Not necessarily. There were many fine bands of that era whose music was based on synthesisers. Depeche Mode, OMD, Japan and Pet Shop Boys for example. These were talented artists with good songs. A-ha, however, were the complete opposite.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Not necessarily. There were many fine bands of that era whose music was based on synthesisers. Depeche Mode, OMD, Japan and Pet Shop Boys for example. These were talented artists with good songs.

Couldn't agree more. I'd throw Yazoo and their Upstairs At Eric album into that mix too. There's plenty of examples of synth bands that produced great music and songs with soul and heart.
    chicorytip wrote: »
    A-ha, however, were the complete opposite.
    :D That's laughable though. Check online for reviews of the first two albums - you'll struggle to find a negative one.

https://www.popmatters.com/129610-a-ha-hunting-high-and-low-scoundrel-days-2496152353.html

The band produced another 8 studio albums after that that were much more varied in style and tone than some of the bands you mention above achieved. That's why those who know their music have reappraised them in the years since 1985 and have seen past the packaging and don't just think of them as being Take On Me (which, incidentally, is a stellar pop song).

You've obviously for some bizarre reason decided to click into a thread for a band you don't like, to offer an expert opinion. But your 'complete opposite' remark doesn't suggest that you know better than everyone else - it only outlines a lack of knowledge (even if I do agree with your first point! :-) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Couldn't agree more. I'd throw Yazoo and their Upstairs At Eric album into that mix too. There's plenty of examples of synth bands that produced great music and songs with soul and heart.

:D That's laughable though. Check online for reviews of the first two albums - you'll struggle to find a negative one.

https://www.popmatters.com/129610-a-ha-hunting-high-and-low-scoundrel-days-2496152353.html

The band produced another 8 studio albums after that that were much more varied in style and tone than some of the bands you mention above achieved. That's why those who know their music have reappraised them in the years since 1985 and have seen past the packaging and don't just think of them as being Take On Me (which, incidentally, is a stellar pop song).

You've obviously for some bizarre reason decided to click into a thread for a band you don't like, to offer an expert opinion. But your 'complete opposite' remark doesn't suggest that you know better than everyone else - it only outlines a lack of knowledge (even if I do agree with your first point! :-) ).
    Musical tastes or preferences are not informed by "expert opinions". You either like a particular artist or you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

#electricsummer#aha2018

With rumour some electric picnic 2018 acts may be announced soon, wondering if this could be a hint?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭urbangoo

#electricsummer#aha2018

With rumour some electric picnic 2018 acts may be announced soon, wondering if this could be a hint?

This is my worry. I really hope not. I would love to see them play their own show and not a festival.
    I doubt they would get a headline slot for electric picnic. I would still have to make the trip though. I couldn't miss seeing them finally back in Ireland.

The electric summer hashtag just means that after their acoustic shows they plan to do a full electric tour. The have mentioned they are playing the UK next summer.

I would of loved to see at least one song from east of the sun and west of the moon.
    I like the arrangement of the unplugged album but the song summer moved on was not great from alice.all the rest were great

The band's Facebook page posted some heavy hints last night that they're coming to Ireland next summer as part of their Electric Summer tour. I expect they wouldn't be hinting at it now unless an announcement was very close, which pretty much rules out an Electric Picnic appearance as the EP line-up reveal normally happens in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

They are playing the Marquee in Cork, thank you dear Lord ,my prayers have been answered !

Is it a full aha concert

• Advertisement

crock! wrote:
    Is it a full aha concert

Yeah, full electric show. They've called the tour Electric Summer to emphasize it's not the acoustic thing.

My first crush!

Starting to look like these guys could've sold another night at the 3Arena gauging by the number of people looking for tickets. Amazing to think that promoters have passed over bringing them to Dublin for 17 years.

True North: New a-ha Film and Album out in Autumn 2022

'True North' is a filmed live-performance for future streaming release with new music from a-ha.

Set in the awesome landscape of Northern Norway and recorded in the town of Bodø up above the Arctic Circle, the music from the film will be made available as a new album from the group for the first time since 'Cast in Steel’ (2015).

"We chose this location as a way to showcase some of Norway’s most spectacular nature - where majestic mountains meet the raging sea - far up north, but right at the centre of the dramatic effects of climate-change."

"We want this film to be a poetic homage to the importance that nature holds in Norwegian culture, and in particular the ocean, which has provided us with a privileged life up here, from the early fishing boom to the troublesome riches extracted from the seabed in the form of oil," says Magne.

Well aware of the dualistic aspect of such practices in light of today’s climate crisis, a-ha has been interested and involved in various initiatives in this regard both individually, and as a band, over the years.

"As artists born here, nature plays a big part as backdrop to and inspiration for their creativity, and by choosing this location, they aim to also be part of the discussion for a model of sustainability for coming generations", a representative for the band says.

"Our aim is to try and create a thing of beauty and foster hope for the future in bleak times. As Norwegians, we are acutely aware that our own welfare has made our hands black from oil. Facing these challenges going forward is a global affair, but also something that we in particular will have to find ways to contribute to."

The Film is made in collaboration with Bodø 2024 and the The Arctic Symphony Orchestra.

TRUE NORTH - film and album scheduled for release autumn 2022.

Advertisement