Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭Cartman78

It's worth following Brittany Ferries on Twitter for anyone looking for info on the Port Aven drama :(

The Customer Service reps are contactable via Direct Messages as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'm really not feeling confident about 1st June sailing.
    Think I'll ring BF on Monday and see what they have to say. Good to hear that they are helpful and willing to offer refunds to free is up for re-routing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I'm really not feeling confident about 1st June sailing.
    Think I'll ring BF on Monday and see what they have to say. Good to hear that they are helpful and willing to offer refunds to free is up for re-routing.

We're returning on 31 May arriving in Cork on 1 June. I was assured that the sailing would take place. Hopefully if there is a change, we will get a bit more notice.

vienne86 wrote: »
    We're returning on 31 May arriving in Cork on 1 June. I was assured that the sailing would take place. Hopefully if there is a change, we will get a bit more notice.

Cool, that's somewhat reassuring.
    I'm keeping a close eye on this thread, and the BF site so hopefully if there is a cancellation well have as much notice as possible.
    Hope it works out for you too

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭GLCC

Travelling on June 1st also. If this sailing is cancelled and refund is offered, will the refund be for one way or return ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 gud

pennyblack wrote: »
    Staying at Castell Montgri Campsite Estartit in early June 2018 for the first time with 2 teenagers.
    Would really appreciate any tips to make our holiday enjoyable.
    Any info re transfers from Airport to campsite would be most helpful.

Thanks

Hi pennyblack, do you have any info on the bus transfers. Going to castell montgri in June with 2 kids. Would appreciate any help

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,319 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

GLCC wrote: »
    Travelling on June 1st also. If this sailing is cancelled and refund is offered, will the refund be for one way or return ?

Heard of a friend who's travelling out on 1st of June from Cork and he got a call yesterday offering a refund, or go from Dublin or delay a week.
    A real mess. Not sure did he book through an agent or direct.

Cheers for that ShamoBuc. I will try and get in contact with them so.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Heard of a friend who's travelling out on 1st of June from Cork and he got a call yesterday offering a refund, or go from Dublin or delay a week.
    A real mess. Not sure did he book through an agent or direct.

Just another update on this. I was in the 'manage your booking' page on the Britanny Ferries website and I am now getting the message below for June 1st.

The crossing is now unavailable, please choose an alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Bloody hell; the WBY fiasco last summer and now BF. What next - they close the Landbridge?

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    Bloody hell; the WBY fiasco last summer and now BF. What next - they close the Landbridge?

Brexit!!!!! That should put the tin hat on it!

Well, I haven't heard anything further re my return, but it is now looking like our crossing from Roscoff on 31st is in doubt. Not a lot I can do, heading off from on the W B Yeats tomorrow. Our booking is tricky enough for Brittany Ferries, as it's a holiday deal - they booked the hotels. It will be interesting how they would handle a return on the W B Yeats for us as it would entail another night in France.....would they book it for us, I wonder? They are giving us compensation for the transfer to Irish Ferries tomorrow, so I wonder what they would do about an extra overnight??? I think I'll just hang on for a bit. We're lucky as we're retired, so have flexibility.

And I am wondering where the Connemara might be off to instead of going to Santander tonight????? It is currently in Ringaskiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dave445354

Booked for 8th June and getting nervous !!

Connemara has left Ringaskiddy.

Destination Roscoff.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-8.295/centery:51.843/zoom:13

I wonder who's on it!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭westgolf

just an additional point, the amount of the deposit depends too on the company and varies massively.
    Thrifty and Budget charge massive deposits, sometimes over €2000, and they will likely insist on it being off one card which is impossible for many people leaving them stuck getting full expensive insurance.
    Enterprise also charge a high enough deposit in advance, and unlike others, they bill it properly, not just a block, and then they refund it afterwards a week after your rental ends. That means if you cross a billing period on your card, you are paying that wedge of money back or paying interest or whatever your conditions are with the card.
    Proper full service companies like Hertz on the other hand only charge a few 100 Euro deposit even if the possible excess is over 1000, and from memory only as a block not fully booked as a charge. I rented a car from Hertz in Holland last year and actually had to ask the lady if that was a mistake, as I was so used to getting billed the full excess in advance from other companies !

Did a bit of research, went with indigo car hire. Got a Ford focus for 11 days for €310, no massive excess, unlimited mileage, insurance included.

Just received the below by email.
    I'm booked cork-roscoff on 1st June.
    because of a technical issue on Pont Aven the Roscoff Cork sailing on Friday May 31st and Cork-Roscoff sailing June 1st are in doubt but are not at this point cancelled. If you choose to make alternative travel arrangements over this weekend we will refund your booking accordingly. We will have a clear idea early next week and if sailing is cancelled, all impacted customers will be contacted by sms adn email.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Has the BF issue made the news!!! Or have I missed it. Can't believe something like this hasn't hit the airwaves in some form..

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Has the BF issue made the news!!! Or have I missed it. Can't believe something like this hasn't hit the airwaves in some form..

Irish Examiner had it this morning - heard it mentioned on 'It says in the papers' on Morning Ireland.

Nothing in my inbox, but then bizarrely, all my booking had to be done by phone and I received the blurb by snail mail......my first email was my booking for the WB Yeats tomorrow, a forwarded email from Irish Ferries to Brittany Ferries.

Sitting tight!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭peter4918

Dave445354 wrote: »
    Booked for 8th June and getting nervous !!

It’ll surely be sorted by then

peter4918 wrote: »
    It’ll surely be sorted by then

If their flagship, which holds 2,400 passengers, is suddenly missing, getting sorted won't be easy. But you would hope some sort of a tub could be wheeled in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Do Travel Agents book ferries for people?

Or are ferries completely dependant on people/companies self booking?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Do Travel Agents book ferries for people?

Or are ferries completely dependant on people/companies self booking?

Travel agents book ferries as part of packages - have had camphotel do this as part of packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

kippy wrote: »
    Travel agents book ferries as part of packages - have had camphotel do this as part of packages.

Had the same with Eurocamp in 2017.

IF Dublin-Cherbourg fully booked next weekend, no space at all :(

Anybody know if Travel insurance will cover accommodation costs if ferry is cancelled ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

DavyD_83 wrote:
    IF Dublin-Cherbourg fully booked next weekend, no space at all

What about Stena from Rosslare?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kilkennymum

We were also due to sail out on the 1st June, and also received this email late last night.
    I wonder when BF states a refund of booking, does it include a refund to include the return sailing or just the sailing out next Saturday 1st?
    We hope to travel though England and onto France instead..bit of a haul but at least we won't miss out!

First Up wrote: »
    What about Stena from Rosslare?

Booked out for any useful date as well.
    Have booked IF and pushed dates back to 6th.
    Waiting for callback from eurocamp now to see if accommodation can be moved to fit too. Don't really have a backup plan if they can't.

On Twitter the are ppl reprove that they have been told over phone by Brittany office in UK that the 1st has been cancelled. Haven't seen that brides my Britany anywhere, but at the moment it's enough to make me figure out anoher plan.
    Looking like a lot of people are doing same already

Oh, on IF site it looks like there is availability on 31st & 2nd but when trying to book it won't let you add cabins (even though it doesn't say they are unavailable). I got the same error when I checked on Thurs, so looks like it was already to late then.

• Advertisement

That's my return from France on 31st down the tubes so. I'm lucky that there is availability on IF on 1st, so could stay an extra night in France and come home that way.

Advertisement