Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mytaxi change in terms 5 Euro cancellation fee

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Spook_ie wrote: »
    On the subject of Lynk and Cab2K I'll see if I can find out the story behind their apps, see if they actually utilise the drivers phone or if the app merely alerts a dispatcher who then passes the call over the normal datahead. I suspect it's the latter.

I can tell you with the NRC App when the customer inputs the job it goes live straight into the dispatch system. It's always been that way, but some of the other apps (in the past at least) did nothing more than send an email into the dispatch centre for a dispatcher to upload it to the system.

to be honest though i think all the apps now once a job is entered, it goes live into the dispatch system. most dispatchers won't even know the job exists unless there is an issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

KoolKid wrote: »
    They should all be manageable through the one phone if you set it up right.
    As for operating an app. Surely it's the same an inputting options into the older style booking devices many of the major operators use.

Agreed they should be but from what spookie said it sounds like the apps have some sort of inbuilt software to not be up to date with jobs/locations unless the app is on the screen. Could be wrong but that was my interpretation of it. It wouldnt surprise me either, such a software function would make sense for Mytaxi to try to prevent drivers using Uber simultaneously and vice versa. That said it cant be that hard to operate two phones hanging in cradles from the windscreen. You can even get charger cables that split in two also.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Agreed they should be but from what spookie said it sounds like the apps have some sort of inbuilt software to not be up to date with jobs/locations unless the app is on the screen. Could be wrong but that was my interpretation of it. It wouldnt surprise me either, such a software function would make sense for Mytaxi to try to prevent drivers using Uber simultaneously and vice versa. That said it cant be that hard to operate two phones hanging in cradles from the windscreen. You can even get charger cables that split in two also.

From reading into it I don't think that is the case. Spook doesn't seem interested in using any other apps.
    This is the bit that honestly baffles me. All drivers complain about My Taxi. . Users complain about My Taxi. Users want an alternative but drivers continue to support My Taxi while at the same time complain that they are ripping them off.
    Common sense has to prevail at some stage. No?

KoolKid wrote: »
    From reading into it I don't think that is the case. Spook doesn't seem interested in using any other apps.
    This is the bit that honestly baffles me. All drivers complain about My Taxi. . Users complain about My Taxi. Users want an alternative but drivers continue to support My Taxi while at the same time complain that they are ripping them off.
    Common sense has to prevail at some stage. No?

I asked a taxi driver last year why he always complains about mytaxi yet still uses them instead of a taxi rank and he said its because mytaxi are now their bread and butter, especially during the day time and non-peak periods. When it is peak time on Fri/Sat nights then he and many other drivers switch off the app and will only pick up when flagged on the street because theres lots of work and those jobs avoid paying mytaxi their commissions. So it seems to be very much a case of can't live with them, can't live without them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

But some competition in the market could only be beneficial. They could support others at the same time as we've discussed.

• Advertisement

True but mytaxi seems to be the dominant player which is probably why drivers stick with them whilst also complaining about them. It might be a case that the other apps just dont have the critical mass that mytaxi do and hence when drivers try to use competitors there is a lack of work compared to mytaxi. Just speculating here but thats the impression I get. Also the article linked further back said almost 1 million Irish people have the mytaxi app on their phone, I doubt Lynk has anywhere near those numbers, at least their cars are a lot less visible on the street so they dont seem to be as big a player.

It is. But its the complaining taxi driver who put them there.
    Still no harm running multiple apps to support others.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I asked a taxi driver last year why he always complains about mytaxi yet still uses them instead of a taxi rank and he said its because mytaxi are now their bread and butter, especially during the day time and non-peak periods. When it is peak time on Fri/Sat nights then he and many other drivers switch off the app and will only pick up when flagged on the street because theres lots of work and those jobs avoid paying mytaxi their commissions. So it seems to be very much a case of can't live with them, can't live without them.

Ironically the above is pretty much ideal for drivers. They only pay when they need it and it actually brings them extra work.

By comparison, with the old radio dispatch system, you had to pay a fixed fee every week, all year round, no matter how few jobs you got and with many you even had to pay if you were away on holidays or off sick!

Paying for only the jobs you receive seems much fairer all round to me.

From the customers perspective, the apps are fantastic. They are so much easier to use and vastly more accurate then the old radio companies it isn't even funny. Personally when apps came in I can honestly say I took Taxi's far more frequently because of how quick and easy it was.

If it was raining out and I've a 10 minute walk to the bus stop, I'd say feck it, pull my phone out, do MyTaxi, and have a taxi at my door with 2 minutes. If I had to mess about with calling a radio company, then I'd rather walk in the rain to the bus! It was that painful.

The only issue with the apps, is that MyTaxi have gotten a monopoly and are now starting to abuse that power. But Taxi drivers have no one but themselves to blame for that, if they are only supporting one app and refuse to use others, even when it is so simple to do so.

bk wrote: »

The only issue with the apps, is that MyTaxi have gotten a monopoly and are now starting to abuse that power. But Taxi drivers have no one but themselves to blame for that, if they are only supporting one app and refuse to use others, even when it is so simple to do so.

Yeah I think the dominance of mytaxi in the market is going to come back and bite them. Once they are dependent on them then the commission they pay can only go up.

And no doubt when it does it will all be the customers fault.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

I'm dreaming here but in the same way MyTaxi use additional fees to improve the system for drivers, they should consider changing fees to level out the customer experience.

Example, at peak times make jobs zero commission. Stops drivers going off app when street business is peak.

Or zero commission if located in rank. I often try getting MyTaxi 200m beyond Heuston rank, but taxis won't leave preferring I assume to wait a few mins for a walk up no commission fare.

Unlikely I know, but they have scope to make the app work better for customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I've been in a few taxi's and I've asked drivers what their biggest problem is with Mytaxi, they've said that they would accept more jobs if customers put in the destination address, as they would now where they would end up. This seems silly to me that the destination address wouldn't be a requirement. If you call any taxi company, one of the first questions is where you are going to?

Now one could argue that if the fare is short or to far, that the driver would refuse the job. However, it wouldn't seem unreasonable for a taxi to travel 3k to pick up a client, only to find out the destination is 0.5km away.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Now one could argue that if the fare is short or to far, that the driver would refuse the job. However, it wouldn't seem unreasonable for a taxi to travel 3k to pick up a client, only to find out the destination is 0.5km away.

The point of these apps, is that a driver shouldn't need to come 3km, since a closer driver would normally be dispatched.

Back in the bad old days of radio dispatch, a taxi could be coming from half way across the city. But with MyTaxi having such dominance and almost every driver on it, that seems to rarely happen in my experience. They usually come from the local area.

As you say, I suspect a lot of drivers wouldn't bother with short jobs, which is probably why MyTaxi don't force it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

bk wrote: »
    The point of these apps, is that a driver shouldn't need to come 3km, since a closer driver would normally be dispatched.

all great in theory

but there is simply not anywhere near enough taxis to give that kind of coverage

Advertisement