Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

feargale wrote: »
    Is Tom Murnane hurling for Kerry in the 2019 championship or is he suspended? Thanks.

He's suspended from club anyway and I think he as retired from inter county

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Down by 2 at Half time in the Joe McDonagh cup.

1-7 to 0-8

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Clare this weekend, any thoughts on likely team? Will be without Peter Crowley & Gavin White at a minimum, any other injury concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Same As wrote: »
    Clare this weekend, any concerns?

Nope. Standard 12-15 point win.

• Advertisement

pf5xbGAKe4KZ176vPxuVBv9idtcM1Eia.png

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Well this is interesting. Caveat is this piece was written by a Legion man and Murphy plays for crokes. Obviously doesn't name a source so who knows.

Shane Murphy, meanwhile, is currently out of the picture. Some journalists seem to be under the impression that the Dr Crokes netminder, who missed the league campaign due to club commitments, “opted out” of the Kerry set-up but it’s my understanding that he was informed by management that he was surplus to requirements – for this year at least.

https://www.killarneyadvertiser.ie/clare-v-kerry-preview-munster-excitement-at-an-all-time-low/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

dobman88 wrote: »
    Nope. Standard 12-15 point win.

i would happily take a 10-12 point loss after last years debacle in killarney

i would like to ask how many of these players are not available for kerry tomorrow due to retirement or injury , none of which are in the machday 26

Barry John Keane
    Barry O'Sullivan ,
    Brendan O'Sullivan ,
    Daith Casey ,
    Dara Moynihan
    Darran O'Sullivan ,
    Donnchadha Walsh ,
    Fionn Fitzgerald ,
    Gregg Horan,
    Jack Barry ,
    Jack Savage ,
    Kevin McCarthy ,
    Killian Young ,
    Paul Murphy ,
    Peter Crowley ,

i would happily take a 10-12 point loss after last years debacle in killarney

i would like to ask how many of these players are not available for kerry tomorrow due to retirement or injury , none of which are in the machday 26

Barry John Keane, not called up by mgmt
    Barry O'Sullivan , not called up by mgmt
    Brendan O'Sullivan , dont know
    Daith Casey , not called up by mgmt
    Dara Moynihan, injured
    Darran O'Sullivan , retired
    Donnchadha Walsh , retired
    Fionn Fitzgerald , not called up by mgmt
    Gregg Horan, dont know
    Jack Barry , injured
    Jack Savage , injured
    Kevin McCarthy , that's a long story but officially injured I guess
    Killian Young , retired
    Paul Murphy , injured
    Peter Crowley , had surgery las week so out for a while

• Advertisement

Killian Young hasn't formally retired but didn't make any appearance during the league campaign.

Jack Savage wasn't selected on the panel for the season, could well be in training but not from what I've heard. Same for Brendan O Sullivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

That forward line will have to put up a massive score today to give us genuine momentum. 5 of the best forwards in the game. If these guys click no team including Dublin can stop them and then our defensive averageness won’t be relevant. Looking for at least a couple of goals and 20 plus points this evening largely from play.
    Hoping Gavin White gets some minutes from the bench, another massive player for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭wonga77

Im not sure what the story with Brendan Sullivan is, Valentia arent fielding a team so he isnt playing at all.
    Killian isnt retired yet either. I think Kevin Mac left the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Forge83 wrote: »
    That forward line will have to put up a massive score today to give us genuine momentum. 5 of the best forwards in the game. If these guys click no team including Dublin can stop them and then our defensive averageness won’t be relevant. Looking for at least a couple of goals and 20 plus points this evening largely from play.
    Hoping Gavin White gets some minutes from the bench, another massive player for us.

Problem with that is the better teams will fall back, turn you over and then destroy you on the counter. We may get away with it this evening but I wouldn’t like to be facing in to the Super 8’s with that lineup teams are just too tactically good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

wonga77 wrote: »
    Im not sure what the story with Brendan Sullivan is, Valentia arent fielding a team so he isnt playing at all.
    Killian isnt retired yet either. I think Kevin Mac left the panel

Kevin Mc was dropped, he didn’t leave by choice

Same As wrote: »
    Killian Young hasn't formally retired but didn't make any appearance during the league campaign.

Jack Savage wasn't selected on the panel for the season, could well be in training but not from what I've heard. Same for Brendan O Sullivan.

Jack is gone to the states in the last week - had a very good club championship & county league before going.

Would definitely be a better option than a couple of lads inside at the moment but doesn’t seem to be in Peter’s affections

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Problem with that is the better teams will fall back, turn you over and then destroy you on the counter. We may get away with it this evening but I wouldn’t like to be facing in to the Super 8’s with that lineup teams are just too tactically good now.

I suppose we would actually have to get the ball to them first anyway for them to have any chance.
    Can’t make any sense of that game tonight. Only positive was James first half display.
    Tim Moynihan on radio Kerry is hard to listen to. “A mother and father belt of a shoulder”. What does he be on about. Surely they could get some guys with better modern knowledge, Darren O Sullivan,Donnacha Walsh,Marc O Se etc.

I suppose we would actually have to get the ball to them first anyway for them to have any chance.
    Can’t make any sense of that game tonight. Only positive was James first half display.
    Tim Moynihan on radio Kerry is hard to listen to. “A mother and father belt of a shoulder”. What does he be on about. Surely they could get some guys with better modern knowledge, Darren O Sullivan,Donnacha Walsh,Marc O Se etc.

Darran busy selling his soul to Paddy Power, Donncha doesn't seem the type for that kind of role, Marc is on eir.

James and Seanie Shea injured tonight? Hopefully nothing serious for either man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

‘He's selling dummies like he'd be selling donuts inside in a shop'

Outside of our full forward line- I think we are fairly average.

And Keane is falling into the one managerial failing that drives me nuts whereby a manager picks a bench of guys who do exactly the same thing but just not as good as the lads starting.

Having Burns, Lyne & Mike geaney on the bench is just idiotic as they are going to do the same thing as o brien or Moynihan but just not as good.

It might not matter against Clare but against better teams we will need players who can change the game. We need at least one playmaker on there. I’d also like to see Gavin o brien back in as we offer an extra option when pushing up on teams kick outs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Outside of our full forward line- I think we are fairly average.

And Keane is falling into the one managerial failing that drives me nuts whereby a manager picks a bench of guys who do exactly the same thing but just not as good as the lads starting.

Having Burns, Lyne & Mike geaney on the bench is just idiotic as they are going to do the same thing as o brien or Moynihan but just not as good.

It might not matter against Clare but against better teams we will need players who can change the game. We need at least one playmaker on there. I’d also like to see Gavin o brien back in as we offer an extra option when pushing up on teams kick outs

In all fairness with the raft of injuries that we have his options for the bench were probably fairly limited.

I do agree that at the moment if you take our forwards out of it we are nothing special. There is a lot of potential in the young players like foley and Gavin White, Moynihan etc but that is all it is at the moment, potential. Our midfield is the biggest worry, very little depth there.

few stats from tonight , it was 1-09 to 0-8 points from play in favor of kerry

1-09 to 0-3 points at half time , clare out scored kerry in the second by 0-9 to 0-6
    kerry created 16 scoring chances from play scoring 10 ,in total scored 16/23
    clare created 14 scoring chances from play scoring 8 , in total scored 12/22

i am not having a go but that last 20 minutes is as bad as i have seen kerry against us , we played terrible at times tonight , there are tons of things for kerry to work on after tonight

not once did kerry really put our young keeper under pressure for short kickouts , stephan ryan is 19 years of age on his second ever senior championship game tonight in both club or intercounty , our 4th keeper to be used this season and 5th in 10 months

you did have a couple of goal chances in the first half , but in truth everyone expects kerry to kick on with a 9 point lead at half time , i genuinely think clare did not play that well tonight ,
    as pointed out last night kerry are missing 5 players through injury , ;lost there best midfielder after 18 minutes to a soft black card , lost o donohue to a hammy at the start of the second and o'shea at the end of the game , but that must be a worrying performance tonight
    also is it just me or is kerrys level of conditioning below par for this time of year , intensity levels seemed to drop rapidly in the second half too

i know you are dammed if you do , dammed if you dont in these type of games against weaker opposition ,but to an armchair football supporter that was very unkerry like

munster87 wrote: »
    ‘He's selling dummies like he'd be selling donuts inside in a shop'

i seriously miss poor ol wishy's commentaries on near by birthday party's , half way through a league game , birthday requests from terrace talk iin the middle of an all ireland final or the way he would always mention how his mother was a kanturk woman half way through the second half just as cork would get on top of kerry with aidan walsh kicking into gear in 2010

he was a gem , a lovely man to be fair , may be too fair at times , still miss him though , huge gap to fill for radio kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭cms88

Anyone knoe the story with the de Brun fella from Fries playing with Limerick? He's played U 21 and Junior with them as well i think

good interview by peter keane from last night !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

good interview by peter keane from last night !

Great interview by PK called it as he saw it. Much better to se an interview like that rather than the insipid interviews given often on the Sunday game

Slava Ukrainii

Seems Jack Savage is in America for the summer. Nice to see lads enjoying their youth and hopefully see him back in a Kerry jersey some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

dobman88 wrote: »
    Seems Jack Savage is in America for the summer. Nice to see lads enjoying their youth and hopefully see him back in a Kerry jersey some day.

I think the odds are he doesn't have a future with Kerry - just that slight bit too ponderous for inter-county to my mind. He's a superb club player but at intercounty level where you get closed down much quicker he's too easy nullified by intercounty defenders.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I think the odds are he doesn't have a future with Kerry - just that slight bit too ponderous for inter-county to my mind. He's a superb club player but at intercounty level where you get closed down much quicker he's too easy nullified by intercounty defenders.

I'd wager he does have a future - prob better than 4/5 of the forwards in there at the moment. Just needs to get the discipline under control.

Would be our best playmaker if he was inside there but do agree that he can take a little bit too much out of the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

I'd wager he does have a future - prob better than 4/5 of the forwards in there at the moment. Just needs to get the discipline under control.

Would be our best playmaker if he was inside there but do agree that he can take a little bit too much out of the ball

Better than what 4/5 forwards? Better playmaker than Seán O'Shea? Come off it. He got a good shot at it with Kerry, just isn't up to that level. Struggled with the physicality for one thing.

Was a decent underage player and still a very good club player.

His clubmate Barry John Keane, in my view, is someone who has been treated harshly though. No point going back into that I guess.

Advertisement