Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Can't see it being much more than 2/3 full to be honest (between both games). Only 11000 at Dublins standalone game with Wicklow last year in Portlaoise. Can't see Louth fans travelling and our game will probably draw 6-7k. I wouldn't really be interested in watching a Dublin training match after our game.
    Bit mad how, in just a few years, the Leinster council have gone from insisting that no other stadium in Leinster other than Croke Park had the capacity to host a Dublin game to having a double header with a Dublin game in Portlaoise.

Bandwagon fans not interested until semi final and finals nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Can't see it being much more than 2/3 full to be honest (between both games). Only 11000 at Dublins standalone game with Wicklow last year in Portlaoise. Can't see Louth fans travelling and our game will probably draw 6-7k. I wouldn't really be interested in watching a Dublin training match after our game.
    Bit mad how, in just a few years, the Leinster council have gone from insisting that no other stadium in Leinster other than Croke Park had the capacity to host a Dublin game to having a double header with a Dublin game in Portlaoise.

Maybe we all are overreacting now, I'm more concerned with traffic and parking than tickets. Mainly because Saturday is a busy day and I could do with the game being as late as possible and as easy to get to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

meath and carlow fans will be in there cars by the time the dublin game starts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Dickie10 wrote: »
    meath and carlow fans will be in there cars by the time the dublin game starts

Yeah i wont be hanging around for the other game anyway, finding a place to park without getting blocked in by the other supporters is my priority

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

It's all gone quiet here this week.
    Carlow management and Murphy banned for the game.

While I'm not overly sure the bearing a manager being on the sideline has on the performance of a team, not having Murphy is a big boost for us and we should really be looking to win this game by 5-8 points I would say. Carlow will be tricky and Meath have not played well in Championship football when coming in as favourites in a good while now. Carlow beat Kildare last year and have come as close as anyone in Leinster to the Dubs a couple of years ago too.
    However, this year hasn't been great for them and we have a championship game under our belts which should have our lads up to speed again but needless to say, I am still worried!

Meath by 4 I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Obrieski wrote: »
    It's all gone quiet here this week.
    Carlow management and Murphy banned for the game.

While I'm not overly sure the bearing a manager being on the sideline has on the performance of a team, not having Murphy is a big boost for us and we should really be looking to win this game by 5-8 points I would say. Carlow will be tricky and Meath have not played well in Championship football when coming in as favourites in a good while now. Carlow beat Kildare last year and have come as close as anyone in Leinster to the Dubs a couple of years ago too.
    However, this year hasn't been great for them and we have a championship game under our belts which should have our lads up to speed again but needless to say, I am still worried!

Meath by 4 I reckon.

Listening to a few of the podcasts, some theorising that the challenge match drubbing by Kerry might have set us back confidence wise a bit having finished the league on a high. I've said this on here before and I'll say it again. We need to improve all of our restarts as a team. From throw in, to kick outs, to hop balls, to secondary contests on brekaing ball from midfield. We are very small side still at 5,7,10 & 12. The positions that usually mop up breaking ball. Colm McNally was brought in to make us more tactically asutue but we are still lacking in tactics from restarts. The keeper lost confidence in kicking it long V Offaly as a result he tried forcing the issue with shorter kicks and we gave away some shocking ball at times.

I also want to see some fire from Meath. Even an early dust up between the sides might set us alight. Everything was so flat versus Offaly. The mood music needs to be improved. McEntee needs to have these leaving the dressing room knowing the heritage of the jersey and what it means. You could hear it in the crowd in the league match V Kildare when we scored the late penalty. We seem to have lost this over the last few matches. I'll be in Portlaoise anyway support the lads. Up the Royal!

The handicap has us -6. I think we might beat that. Dry ball again on saturday and not much of a wind.

will there be a group of meath fans going behind the town goals in portlaoise on saturday? remember when we used to have loads of fans there in 2002/03 vs westmeath and 07 v galway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Carlow didn't kick a single wide against Kildare last year. They can definitely beat us if we're off our game like we were against Offaly. They were a much worse team a number of years ago when they took us to a replay.

Hard to believe that we're not even in the summer and the football A leagues are only a handful of games away from being completed.

Surprisingly easy in the end. Carlow losing Broderick so early meant it was always going to be difficult for them. Was a little worried halfway through the first half when we were pegged back after a decent start. But the two quick goals put the tie to bed.

A semi final, probably in Croker, against Laois or Westmeath. First championship game in Croker since 2016 if I'm not mistaken.

• Advertisement

There were slight shades of the Offaly match creeping in until the two goal salvo took all the appetite for a fight out of Carlow and the game was effectively done. Meath still a bit casual in possesion at times leading to a few turnovers. They'll need to sort this out but I'd be very hopefuly it will be ramped up as we go along in the championship. Thought Keoghan played very well and from recollection I think his darting run forward created the first goal. Menton had a better game in midfield and I thought our kick outs were much better albeit Carlow never pushed up on us to the extent Offaly did. A few times our decision making in the second half cost us a few goal chances. We'd brake with 5 on 4's or 4's on 3's and fail to execute the right goal scoring chance. Invaribly one of the attackers would carry into contact when the right pass to the man in space would leave for handy goals. I'd give us a solid 7/10 for yesterday.

Just on a seperate note I noticed two lads in full Dublin gear recording the entire game with a big camera and tripod setup at the back of the standing terrace. Noticably without any official GAA credentials on them. Are they allowed to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

There were slight shades of the Offaly match creeping in until the two goal salvo took all the appetite for a fight out of Carlow and the game was effectively done. Meath still a bit casual in possesion at times leading to a few turnovers. They'll need to sort this out but I'd be very hopefuly it will be ramped up as we go along in the championship. Thought Keoghan played very well and from recollection I think his darting run forward created the first goal. Menton had a better game in midfield and I thought our kick outs were much better albeit Carlow never pushed up on us to the extent Offaly did. A few times our decision making in the second half cost us a few goal chances. We'd brake with 5 on 4's or 4's on 3's and fail to execute the right goal scoring chance. Invaribly one of the attackers would carry into contact when the right pass to the man in space would leave for handy goals. I'd give us a solid 7/10 for yesterday.

Just on a seperate note I noticed two lads in full Dublin gear recording the entire game with a big camera and tripod setup at the back of the standing terrace. Noticably without any official GAA credentials on them. Are they allowed to do this?

I'm glad someone was recording it, might pop up on Youtube.

I imagine the Sunday game will cover the goals, Ben Brennans point and Donal Keoghan getting a wallop and that will be it.
    The Semi Final isn't being televised either, even on GAAGO, a real shame for people who have emigrated to have to fabricate a picture of the game in their mind from LMFM commentary...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

No football on rte again this week. Have they packed it in for the hurling altogether!

I know meath v carlow wouldn't excite too many neutrals but u'd think mayo v rossies would get a decent audience.

3 from play n 1 wide that hit the post from young Conlon when he came on in the 65th minute is fairly impressive stuff.

RTregularly show two live hurling games on the Sunday before showing extended highlights of those games and other hurling games that evening. Then they’ll show 2 minutes per football game if you’re lucky. And a good chunk of that will be shots of players warming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭snowgal

RTregularly show two live hurling games on the Sunday before showing extended highlights of those games and other hurling games that evening. Then they’ll show 2 minutes per football game if you’re lucky. And a good chunk of that will be shots of players warming up.

Yea it is a full on disgrace the lack of coverage. Listening to the commentary today on line the wmeath Laois game sounded great... Conlon was very good when he came, he should warrant a start next game, rather than Tobin who loses pocession way too often... also we should’ve had st least 5 goals yesterday, they need to be killing games like that

On the game itself I thought Padraic Harnan played very well. Great to have him back on board.Hard to judge too much in the second half, as has been said we left at least three goals behind us too.

Disappointing campaign for the minors, was really hoping they would build on the success of last year.
    Good win for the ladies, Monica McGuirk up to her usual antics of pulling off some wonderful saves...clip going around online of a save from the other day, phenomenal stop.
    3 from 3 in the Christy Ring and into the semi final - hopefully the lads can go on to win it again, be a great boost

How are we feeling about Sunday? Has there been many tickets sold or much of a Meath crowd heading to HQ?
    First Championship game there in a while so hopefully we get a good turn out and a big performance.
    Want a crack at Dublin to really see where we stand but if we have learned anything as Meath fans over the past number of years, we cannot afford to look beyond the next game. Laois will be a very stern test, in O'Loughlin they have one of the best midfielders in the country.

I'll be heading along anyway. I think it will be tough enough now, Laois had a decent league. Hope we bring a crowd along, as it stands we're two wins away from the Super 8s the team need all the support they can get.

cant see anymore than 30k at the double header , id say there will only be about 8,000 in croke park for meath game which will lead to a shocking atmosphere. laois are average if we cant beat them by 6 or 7 points we would be better off letting them play dublin in final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

The only use of this pointless provincial championship is that getting to the final is an easier route to the Super 8s.

Get dicked by Dublin then have one game to get in.

That's the motivation for Sunday. Nothing to do with the title. GAA have to do something and scrap the current format.

When was the last time that the Leinster final losers won their next game? 10 years? If we do make the Leinster final (and that’s a very big if), odds are still against us.
    Laois worry me. They seem to always give us a game regardless of how good we’re going/bad they’re going. Colgan will have to be spot on with the kickouts as Laois are likely to lord it at midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

When was the last time that the Leinster final losers won their next game? 10 years? If we do make the Leinster final (and that’s a very big if), odds are still against us.
    Laois worry me. They seem to always give us a game regardless of how good we’re going/bad they’re going. Colgan will have to be spot on with the kickouts as Laois are likely to lord it at midfield.

There has been 17 leinster final losers, only 1 leinster team that has lost a leinster final went onto win their next qualifier game. That was in the first year of the qualifiers in 2001 , 17 years ago when Dublin were beaten by Meath in the leinster final. In 2001 Dublin got a handy draw v Sligo in their next game in the backdoor. Dublin won. The next 16 teams who have lost a leinster final failed to win their game in the backdoor. So 1 time ever has a team won after losing a leinster final, won their next game in the backdoor. And overall in all proviences 80% of teams that lose provicial lose their next game in the qualifiers. If we beat laois, which is going a very tough game. We play Dublin, if we lose, you are looking possibly Donegal, Tyrone or Monaghan in the backdoor. They are on the side of the draw of leinster losing team I think. Reaching leinster final, might mean one game away, but the stats show it is incredibly hard to win a qualifier after losing a leinster final. The odds would be stacked against ua. You lose the leinster final and you play a Donegal or Tyrone who have a pile of games in the backdoor.
    Anyway laois is the main worry and that is a 50 50 game ,we r good eonugh to win, but can we peak twice in one year. Laois are always a bit of a bogey team with big wins over Meath in 1985, 1992, 2003 2006 and 2012. After Dublin and kildare laois are the county in Ireland with most victories over Meath in last 40 years of the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Harnan dropped for mcentee, thought he was one of our best players vs carlow :confused:

Updaye, Turns out Harnans injured, makes more sense

Hurlers seemed to make hard work of that semi final. Won by 9 in the end but the game was still in the balance with 15 minutes to.
    Down or Roscommon in the final. It would be disaster if we were to lose to either but we'd have to improve massively for next season if we are in the McDonagh cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Sonny678 wrote: »
    The next 16 teams who have lost a leinster final failed to win their game in the backdoor. So 1 time ever has a team won after losing a leinster final, won their next game in the backdoor.

It's rare but has happened a few other times. The last time was ten years ago. Laois beat Derry in 2005, and Wexford beat Down in 2008 and Kildare beat Wicklow in 2009. All three had been beaten by Dublin in the Leinster Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

It's rare but has happened a few other times. The last time was ten years ago. Laois beat Derry in 2005, and Wexford beat Down in 2008 and Kildare beat Wicklow in 2009. All three had been beaten by Dublin in the Leinster Final.

I thought it was less, it is still very rare. And teams that were beaten were easier draws eg Sligo v Dublin 01 Sligo in div 3 , Kildare v Wicklow 09 , Wicklow in div 4. Down and Derry wouldnt have being top teams in 05 and 08. When you lose a leinster final you are more then likely meeting a top team on a run through the backdoor. No team that has ever lost leinster final has beaten a top team in the next game.

Anyway the laois game, is the big one today. Its a 50 50 game. Laois r really tricky opposition. In Meaths last 5 games with Laois we have won 1. Hopefully we can win our first match in in 5 years in Croker, since we beat kildare in 2014 leinster semi final and reach the leinster final for the first time in five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

So this Joe McQuillan sabotage move is working well ;)

Got the win. Not exactly a fantastic performance but still didn't expect an 11 point win.
    While I am realistic about the Dublin game, I think it'd be good to see how our players fare against the best. I'd be especially interested to see how Conlin does. We're not going to win, but if we can get a few goals, I hope we can keep it relatively competitive (for a Leinster game involving Dublin, that is).

• Advertisement

Got the win. Not exactly a fantastic performance but still didn't expect an 11 point win.
    While I am realistic about the Dublin game, I think it'd be good to see how our players fare against the best. I'd be especially interested to see how Conlin does. We're not going to win, but if we can get a few goals, I hope we can keep it relatively competitive (for a Leinster game involving Dublin, that is).

A quick view on the final score and you'd think we won handy but the fact of the matter is we were not great for large portions of this match. Our full back line and some really poor kicking by Laois including a simple free from the 21yd line kept us ahead when on merit we should have been behind. Having said that during Laois's good spell they were chugging hard for every score whereas we were picking off points economincally and generally looking dangerous on the counter albeit a bit wasteful on transition from defence to attack on a few occasions.

We won't be touching Dublin. They'll be 12-14 pts favourite and I expect them to service that. We need to not let a big number take the wind out of our sails. Super 8's qualification is still the barometer for our season. I'm slightly worried that we'll be beaten by Dublin and a team north of Navan will take us out in the qualifiers after that.

Thoughts on a few players today....O'Sullivan started poorly losing the ball in his first 2/3 possessions. After that however he came into the game and kicked some fine scores in the 2nd half and dictated a lot of our forward play. Keoghan is our Roll's Royce. James Conlon is a career corner forward and nowehere else. Jinky and good off both feet but struggles to hit the target from further out with a few dropping short. Colgin made a cracker of a save...Still had one absolute howler of a kick out but overall was pretty good. Menton had one of his better games. Took his goal chances very well popping up in advanced positions. He is facing the best footballer in the country next time out in Fenton. Hopefully, he will revel in the challenge. Newman was quiet but kicked an important free after Brennan had missed two on the hogan stand side in the second half when we badly needed one.

Advertisement