Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on weight loss

• 08-05-2019 1:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭

I have been quite unhappy with my weight for some time, have stopped playing sport a number of years ago due to marriage, work and lack of free time. I have now became lazy and over weight. I go the gym then don't see results I lose interest.

Can anyone give me a quick run down a lil more in dept then the usual change your diet and work out you will lose weight. I've no idea what to do when working out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You can start by tracking what you are eating in an app like myfitnesspal so you can see what's going on. Depending on your time I'd look at walking as an initial activity, maybe get a friend to walk with you. Like everything you need to get into the habit. Once you are up and at it start looking at changes you can make to your diet, in portion sizes or what you eat. Lots of resources online and some good support on boards too. The gym may not be for you, it's not for everyone but if you do choose to do it get them to make up a programme for you. You probably won't see too much change in the first 3-4 weeks. If the gym is not your thing what else would you like doing? Whatever you choose to do keep at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭SouthDublin6w

is_that_so wrote: »
    You can start by tracking what you are eating in an app like myfitnesspal so you can see what's going on. Depending on your time I'd look at walking as an initial activity, maybe get a friend to walk with you. Like everything you need to get into the habit. Once you are up and at it start looking at changes you can make to your diet, in portion sizes or what you eat. Lots of resources online and some good support on boards too. The gym may not be for you, it's not for everyone but if you do choose to do it get them to make up a programme for you. You probably won't see too much change in the first 3-4 weeks. If the gym is not your thing what else would you like doing? Whatever you choose to do keep at it.

Thank you, I just wanna see results quicker then is normal, I need to put the work in and accept it won't happen over night too. It's just hard when ya don't know where to start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The "faster than usual" you can go for through HIIT programmes and dietary focus. A gym can help you with working on all of that and in all likelihood offer classes or a trainer to work on it so maybe go talk to one? Choose a place that you like. The F45 programme is one example that is all the rage on that front. Here's an example of it in Sandyford but all gyms will do variations of HIIT these days.
    https://f45training.ie/sandyford/

is_that_so wrote: »
    The "faster than usual" you can go for through HIIT programmes and dietary focus. A gym can help you with working on all of that and in all likelihood offer classes or a trainer to work on it so maybe go talk to one? Choose a place that you like. The F45 programme is one example that is all the rage on that front. Here's an example of it in Sandyford but all gyms will do variations of HIIT these days.
    https://f45training.ie/sandyford/

Im gonna check this out mate thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

For faster than normal results, have a bigger calorie deficit. Exercise is important for general health and will burn calories but the speed of weight loss will primarily be dictated by diet.

• Advertisement

For faster than normal results, have a bigger calorie deficit. Exercise is important for general health and will burn calories but the speed of weight loss will primarily be dictated by diet.

Do i need to eat compliccated with my line of work I work crazy hours and sometimes do not have the time to prep, if i asked the wife shed slap me.

Do i need to eat compliccated with my line of work I work crazy hours and sometimes do not have the time to prep, if i asked the wife shed slap me.

Nothing needs to be complicated but invest some time you do have to prepare for a few days. It is a bit of effort but probably more value in investing an hour in preparing food for a few days than in exercising for half an hour and making poor food choices. Nothing complicated though

Nothing needs to be complicated but invest some time you do have to prepare for a few days. It is a bit of effort but probably more value in investing an hour in preparing food for a few days than in exercising for half an hour and making poor food choices. Nothing complicated though

Thanx mate, sometimes I just need a root up the hole to get the finger out.

Thanx mate, sometimes I just need a root up the hole to get the finger out.

It takes me less than 30 mins to put together my lunches for the working week on a Sunday. A slow cooker would help with batch of dinner cos minimal supervision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

1. The most important thing about losing weight is you need to be in a caloric deficit. (GOLDEN RULE)
    - you can achieve this by eating less or eating the same and exercise or both.
    2. Different things work for different people, what works in most cases is HIIT (short burst full-speed sprints combined with walking for example).
    3. You are what you eat. If you eat takeaways, sugar or deep fried food RIP.

Don't forget, it's not about how much time you spend in gym, it's about how wet is that t-shirt when you leave.
    I'm 1.83cm/6ft and recently went down from 78kg to 72kg in a month, eating less, healthier, HIIT on treadmill for 10 min 2km, weights 30min, every second day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,628 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have been quite unhappy with my weight for some time, have stopped playing sport a number of years ago due to marriage, work and lack of free time. I have now became lazy and over weight. I go the gym then don't see results I lose interest.

Can anyone give me a quick run down a lil more in dept then the usual change your diet and work out you will lose weight. I've no idea what to do when working out.

Diet and intake of food and liquid is 80 percent...

Fitness and exercise is 20 percent..

One absolute vital tip...try get to bed early. Most weight gain is late in the evening. Eating when not even hungry..drinking when not thirsty or needed..

My diet is bloody crap. When I do prep healthy i either have 5 meals of turkey burgers and rice or pasta and boiled chicken. Knowledge is brutal.

My diet is bloody crap. When I do prep healthy i either have 5 meals of turkey burgers and rice or pasta and boiled chicken. Knowledge is brutal.

Good overview on what good food looks like. Eating well doesn't have to be restricted to turkey burgers or boiled chicken. Experiment with spices on meats. If your food is as bland and tasteless as Turkey burgers and rice, you'll drop that before long and your taste buds will hate you.

Good overview on what good food looks like. Eating well doesn't have to be restricted to turkey burgers or boiled chicken. Experiment with spices on meats. If your food is as bland and tasteless as Turkey burgers and rice, you'll drop that before long and your taste buds will hate you.

They ready do mate. Im gonna take in everything I've listened hwre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've no skin in his game, but Scott Baptie/ Foodforfitness.co.uk is good for recipes (there's a good few free, but I brought the ebooks and we use them all the time), and clear and simple advice.

His book "101 Ways to Lose Weight and Never Find It Again" is pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Duppie1

will

be

the following

great attached

Video Link, See Next Post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

99% of what James said in this video is correct however the portion sizing thing he mentioned only holds true if your eating 5-6 meals .He does say you don't have to eat frequent meals but if your only eating 1 or 2 the portion size thing goes out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

rosmoke wrote: »
    1. The most important thing about losing weight is you need to be in a caloric deficit. (GOLDEN RULE)
    - you can achieve this by eating less or eating the same and exercise or both.
    2. Different things work for different people, what works in most cases is HIIT (short burst full-speed sprints combined with walking for example).
    3. You are what you eat. If you eat takeaways, sugar or deep fried food RIP.

Don't forget, it's not about how much time you spend in gym, it's about how wet is that t-shirt when you leave.
    I'm 1.83cm/6ft and recently went down from 78kg to 72kg in a month, eating less, healthier, HIIT on treadmill for 10 min 2km, weights 30min, every second day.

Not necessarily true . Sweating is only the bodys way of cooling you down. If you sat in a sauna with a t shirt on youll be sweating but you wont have burned anything. A person can have a great weights workout or a long walk and not sweat much

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    99% of what James said in this video is correct however the portion sizing thing he mentioned only holds true if your eating 5-6 meals .He does say you don't have to eat frequent meals but if your only eating 1 or 2 the portion size thing goes out the window

He referenced 3 meals at the point he was talking about carbs.

It's a 3 minute video outlining guidelines for the majority and he'd have a lot of clients and insight into what works for them so 3 meals probably represents the central part of a normal distribution. Of course the portion size changes if its 1 meal per day but if you're aiming for a 3 minute video, you're not going to be addressing all cases for all people but get a good guide for a majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 atar

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I'm just going to throw out a few points that may or may not suit you OP, but you could consider them:-

If you're training by yourself and your results so far haven't been what you expected, then what you could do is either hire a trainer or join a gym running group classes of some sort. The latter is going to be the most affordable option for most people. If you're in South Dublin, and particularly Dublin 6, then F45 has been mentioned, there's also Body Sculpt Dublin in Dundrum and probably several CrossFit gyms within striking distance. If you can get to Sandyford Industrial Estate there are probably 10+ gyms that might fit the bill at this stage.

The advantage of doing this is that you get at least some coaching from a fitness professional, and to an extent it's taken out of your hands. How good what you get is can be variable but even though people on here will complain about every fitness methodology out there, the reality is that if you went to CrossFit gym a few times a week for six months and made even rudimentary dietary changes your chances of losing quite a bit of weight are good, depending on the base you're beginning from.

It's worth mentioning that it doesn't necessarily have to be a conventional gym. A white collar boxing club, a brazilian jiu jitsu club, running club, outdoor boot camp... Anything where you're going and working hard several days a week could burn you the calories you want and encourage a healthier lifestyle.

Many of the type of settings we're talking about will point you in the right direction of some kind of reasonable dietary advice and there will be people there who can answer questions.

The main advantage over solo training is that if you like the people you're training with, and like the coaches, you start to feel at least some element of communtiy or buzz that might increase your adherence and attendance, which is what they want and also what you want (Because it'll generate results).

In terms of "fast results" to be honest I agree with Alf that it depends on how extreme you're prepared to go with your calorie deficit, if you were to go the route of immediately monitoring calories via an app. That can work if you're quite an "all or nothing" mindset, and a lot of men are. It's a grievance of my wife that I can cut several kilos by making a sudden decision and then following it obsessively for several weeks until I hit my target weight. It's more common for men to be successful in doing that than women I think, anecdotally speaking.

The downside of "fast results" and particularly a diet based approach is that you'll have to recognise that a new approach to eating is here to stay, and get comfortable with it, unless you want to see a rebound back to close to where you were. Sudden weight loss can also bring issues like stretched skin, and sometimes the aesthetics that people expect don't actually materialise. If you are fat and have no muscle mass then you would be surprised that dropping weight and then being "skinny fat" does not necessarily make you look better naked.

What I'd suggest personally is you find a way to train you enjoy and you hammer that hard, and you begin with your diet by making significant but manageable changes. The meal prep may be hard, but you start to do them for at least a chunk of your weak. You stop drinking unnecessary liquid calories. You limit drinking alcohol to maybe 2 nights a week, and you make it 2 drinks on those 2 nights. You stop eating bread more than once a day. You make sure you're eating a protein source with EVERY meal. You up your fruit and veg intake. You bias towards leaner sources of animal protein... Fish at least once or twice a week, and avoid fattier meats, and so on.

If you're training a few days a week and were to make these general changes then I think you could make decent progress in several months. Particularly, as I said, depending on the base you're beginning from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 manpreetrockerji

Active, intense styles of yoga help you burn the most calories. This may help prevent weight gain. Ashtanga, vinyasa, and power yoga are examples of more physical types of yoga. Vinyasa and power yoga are usually offered at hot yoga studios. My Health Calculator

• Registered Users Posts: 2 somu141

Hello, friends Plz check the link below for weight loss tips:

https://shrinke.me/5RzQY

• Registered Users Posts: 2 somu141

Tips to Lost 80 Pounds In a Day: https://shrinke.me/S99WK

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭KurtBarlow

With regards weight loss the most important factor is being in a calorie deficit. You don't have to do any exercise or eat ''healthy'' however exercise and healthy eating is recommended for health factors and healthy eating to keep one satiated on a calorie deficit and to get your micronutrients in . Intermittent fasting is a tool that can help because a lot of people find it easier to stick to your calorie budget with a low eating frequency. The smaller your meals are the more bland they tend to be . A popular IF approach is 16:8 where by you eat in an 8 hour window skip breakfast and eat only lunch and dinner . Now don't get me wrong there is no problem in eating breakfast but bear in mind you have to budget your calories for it . If your calorie budget is 1500 calories its much nicer to be able to eat 750 calories twice a day as opposed to 500 calories three times a day . The gym isn't for everyone but lifting heavy weights with compound exercises like squats bench press and deadlifts along with military shoulder press and pull ups is great for building muscle and toning your body . If you don't have a clue what to do when you enter a gym, hiring a good personal trainer to go through these exercises is a great investment . Just 3x1 hour full body sessions a week is all you need.

Going back to nutrition whilst I said being in a calorie deficit is all you require to lose weight. 80% of your diet should still be good food , think high quality protein sources like chicken fish eggs greek yogurt beef pork cottages cheese and good carbs like rice potatoes fruit and vegetables . Vegetables are fibrous vegetables are low calorie and packed with nutrients you can load up on these . A lot of people follow a low carb keto approach and this is perfectly fine if this is the way you enjoy to eat however do not get into the mindset that you HAVE to cut carbs to lose weight. YOU DO NOT. If you prefer carbs you just have to budget them in your calorie budget and will have to go on a lower fat plan. People get caught up in a lot of fallacies about carbohydrates. Carbs cause your body to raise insulin levels and put you in a non fat burning state , this is actually true HOWEVER its not for the whole day and Fat does not require the presence of insulin to be stored as fat so if you overeat on keto your going to gain weight . If protein and exercise are equated the same person eating 1500 calories from keto will lose no more fat then a person eating 1500 calories from a higher carb approach. True at the beginning of a low carb approach more scale weight is dropped but this is just water and glycogen . a certain amount of carbs are stored in the muscles as sugars called glycogen so when carbs are dropped this glycogen is dropped too.

Any other questions let me know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Overall I do agree with your post however want to mention couple of things.

If you eat healthy diet the metabolic rate can up-regulate to burn even more calories all down to micro-nutrients.

Unless chicken is organic I would avoid it along with highly inflammatory milk & cottage cheese.

If you can maintain calories deficit while eating carbs - fine, however if you are on true keto diet less likely you be able to overeat, fullness factor comes beforehand and stays far longer when you have no crazy spikes of insulin.

Some glycogen stored in muscles at all time even if you don't consume any.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭KurtBarlow

Most crazy insulin spikes occur when you eat shite food with very little protein . When you eat good carbs like potatoes people very rarely eat them by themselves and there is usually a significant fat and protein source also taken. Alot of people eat protein for satiety purposes but potatoes are in face the most satiating food in existence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Eating high amount of protein also spikes insulin but yeah I agree : )

Not sure about potatoes very high in GI unless I eat raw?

I don't buy imported chicken because it's tasteless due to long cold temperature storage in transit, the injected water leeches out during cooking and it shrinks, and the animal welfare standards for the chickens are low in many countries of origin.

However, when it comes to Irish chicken, the whole poultry industry is pretty well regulated and frankly whether you pay for a low-end Irish chicken or a high-end Irish chicken you're getting something that would be considered premium in most of the world. All the breeders are monitored. Same story with our beef and pork. I'd like to think the whole horse meat entering the food chain scandal from a few years ago is not the norm and I'm just going to skate over that if it's ok with everyone, lol.

When you pay more for an organic Irish chicken or whatever, you might be getting a tastier animal, but it depends on breed, age, diet, it does just depend.

The main reason to pay more probably is higher animal welfare standards for the chicken.

Nutritionally, if it's Irish, it's not going to be that different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

Don’t over complicate things, know what you eat, specifically calories), be aware most portions here are huge too, things like a bowl of cereal can be twice the portion listed on the package!

trackers are great; My fitness pal is a good one, I’ve used it free for years.

A combination of regular exercise and good diet will produce results, be consistent about tracking results as well, pick a weigh in day and time and stick to it, note it down.

You don’t have to be a saint about foods either, just track the ‘bad’ foods and adjust the rest of your intake around that.

Alcohol is a killer though so if you do then moderate and be aware it slows loss.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,916 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Lads, given this thread was started over two years ago I'd imagine it's fairly safe to say you're all shouting into the void...

• Advertisement

Ah damn, I didn't cop that. When the bot resurrected the thread I didn't catch the date on the OP's post. Sorry guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MadalinN

Hi, I'm Madalin and recently I discovered a solution on how to lose weight, if you are interested, I have a link for, , I hope to be helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ash97

I was in the same situation. I couldn't lose my weight, althought I was on a strict diet and worked hard in a gym. I felt depressed and had lack of motivation. Then I read an article that changed my life https://betterme.world/articles/losing-weight-but-look-fatter/ There are a lot of useful informations and tips to lose weight. Now I finally see results and I'm enjoying myself. I'll recommend you to read it too.

Post edited by ash97 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

Where is it and what was it you read

• Advertisement
Advertisement