Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Episode 1 - The Nudie Man - 11/01

2»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Bloomsday et al...

Exactly what are you comparing us to?

Cos if its fully funded broadcast quality TV.... then I appreciate the complement! :)

DeV.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Well done all, a few funny scenes, good start to a series with a few funny moments and a good setup for the plot to unravel. Particularly liked the pacing and the little background touches.

A slight gripe would be that the accents seem to come from across the country (and one girl sounds English) and I found myself turning the volume on my speakers up and down depending on whether there was background music or characters interacting. But other than that it is as good as if not better than anything on rte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

A slight gripe would be that the accents seem to come from across the country (and one girl sounds English)

That'd be a fairly accurate representation of modern day Westport accents... it's a fairly cosmopolitan town, especially with English accents, because of high emigration lots of Westport and Mayo people emigrated to England, had families over there and brought them back, etc.

I know what you mean about accents in general though, many Irish films have an horrendous amount of regional accents when they might be set in a small town in the 1950's, maybe we notice but people outside Ireland don't?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Also, with the budget contraints things like "can this person act" "are they willing to act for up to 2 weeks on location without being paid" "do they look even vaguely like the character"

Believe me, ticking those boxes put you in a very strong position to get the part and we were lucky to have one person fulfil those criteria. If they had a limerick or dublin accent..... well beggars cant be chosers :)

Hence my point above. Bloomsday is comparing us to full quality TV and full budget productions. Thats a compliment.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I actually agree, and found it a strength rather than a weakness, to have some different accents, and this reflect Westport in its diversity of accents. It drives me mad to hear a lot of 'badly faked' accents in tv shows. I find it way more believable (just like real life) to leave the actor's own accent - say English - and have that be a part of the character.

I don't think it was to do with budget restraints at all really. Accents are usually the last thing that come into play for casting (just look at Holllywood!:P). In saying that, I do believe there are a couple of actors playing WAY far from their own accent, but I bet they don't stand out as 'accents' at all. I think that was more a choice than a necessity.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

inisboffin wrote: »
    I actually agree, and found it a strength rather than a weakness, to have some different accents, and this reflect Westport in its diversity of accents. It drives me mad to hear a lot of 'badly faked' accents in tv shows. I find it way more believable (just like real life) to leave the actor's own accent - say English - and have that be a part of the character.

Fair enough, maybe I'm thinking of castlebar :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Fair enough, maybe I'm thinking of castlebar :pac:

Aasy now, my Grandda was a Fishhead!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mitchconnor

This is bizarre. I know its an old thread but i just heard of The Covies when I stumbled upon it online. This seems to have been filled with friends of the production and people too nice or afraid to criticise.
    This isn't a good show. There's no spark, no passion, nothing feels authentic or real, one simple example is this beautiful young actress with the abusive husband. I don't understand the situation, she looks about 25, she's a stunning girl who gives nothing but the impression through her looks, her dress and the way she holds herself as being a strong, independent, cosmopolitan woman. I'm sorry but the idea of her being a put upon country wife just isn't credible. No doubt her arc is to get away from him, find her strength etc etc but it's just not a believable situation on any level.
    While its always nice to see people getting out there getting things made it doesn't mean I have to admire just because it was hard to make. Every production, even big budget ones have limitations and constraints, it's not acceptable to go around talking about it and using it as an excuse, it's the problem of the producers of the products not the viewers. If I go to a shop to buy a chair for instance and see an ugly chair made of rotten wood with three legs and the carpenter is there beside it talking about how hard it was to make and how he had very little money and no time I'm not going to think what an admirable man he is for going out and trying his best, I'm going to think he's a stupid person with a bad product.
    It's just not good. I'm sorry, we're in the age where true quality can be produced from nothing for nothing. Just go to Vimeo.com and take a look around.
    I have a degree in film & tv production and had 2 years experience in it before I went into another industry. I have a fairly good idea about what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

I have a degree in film & tv production and had 2 years experience in it before I went into another industry. I have a fairly good idea about what I'm talking about.

Mitch by all means you are entitled to your opinion - but the quote at the end just looks stupid, and actually betrays ignorance rather than knowledge.

I also find it rather bizarre that you seem to think if someone is good looking and dresses ok that they can't possibly be involved in an abusive relationship. [Actress is 30 BTW]

I suspect all you've done is watch episode 1.

FYI - Covies has already garnered a number of awards not least Sarah Carroll won a best acting award for her role as Bridie.

But clearly you feel passionate enough to write on here about how bad it is. Some eight months after the last post - So fair play to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Oh and by all means post up some Vimeo links to the good stuff - especially if they have published budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Davan

Episode one is now up and live.

Advertisement