Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Coach Experience

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Spotted a 181 reg in Limerick City this afternoon, en route to Ennis. My first time seeing something this fresh on the 300 route!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

I was on a Dublin Airport to Portloise service earlier this evening (one of the very old double deckers). We had some issue before the M50 toll, the coach crawled for a while and eventually stopped under a bridge (it was raining). Since the hard shoulder was blocked by cones, we stopped on the M50 left lane. It was worrying to see passing cars and trucks not see there was a stopped coach and move to the middle lane at the very last second. Fortunately whatever issue we had got fixed in 3-4 minutes and we continued to the Red Cow. Had it lasted any longer, I would have been off the coach.

I had 40 minutes to watch a few idiotic incidents at the Red Cow. One driver hit a mirror on the lamp post opening the door (a double decker). A few minutes later he started moving while some passengers were still unloading luggage from the rear compartment (the driver was focussed on the mirror and moved off with the door open to avoid hitting it). Really lucky no one got injured.

I was surprised to see a 181 reg show up on the Killarney service I am on now. Fine coach but no WiFi unfortunately. Almost empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

embraer170 wrote: »
    I had 40 minutes to watch a few idiotic incidents at the Red Cow. One driver hit a mirror on the lamp post opening the door (a double decker). A few minutes later he started moving while some passengers were still unloading luggage from the rear compartment (the driver was focussed on the mirror and moved off with the door open to avoid hitting it).

Was this also Dublin Coach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

tabbey wrote: »

The Red Cow is dominated by DC.

The day i drove their coach i seen no other operator there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Think it's just JJ and DC there, never seen anyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Think it's just JJ and DC there, never seen anyone else

Bus Eireann have 1 or 2 services that stop there. Don't think they're very regular services though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

tabbey wrote: »

Yes, it was a Dublin Coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

How many times did Ye break down on route?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

i have also herd that any new drivers have to pay for there own uniform

i have also herd that any new drivers have to pay for there own uniform

Yes that’s correct.

€110 taken from your first weeks wages to pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yes that’s correct.

€110 taken from your first weeks wages to pay for it.

Lol. What kind of company makes staff pay for their uniform?! I don’t think I’ve ever encountered an Irish driver with them, makes sense!

road_high wrote: »
    Lol. What kind of company makes staff pay for their uniform?! I don’t think I’ve ever encountered an Irish driver with them, makes sense!

I’ve never heard of it being done upfront like Dublin Coach do it until they told me themselves.

In one previous job it was in the contract that you had to reimburse the company if you left before a certain time.

Basically you are expected to work 1 free day in return for a uniform.

Not a chance would i!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Mybe I am wrong, but wasn't there a rumour doing the rounds where Mick O'Leary also charged his slaves ( oops slip of the fingers...staff ) for their uniform?

But seriously, & back on topic. I often wondered how DC's coaches passed their annual DOE? I have used them often to get to the Airport ( from Newbridge ) and the condition of some of their coaches opn this route ( 726 ) leaves a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Reason for charging for uniforms is because there is such a huge turn over in staff.

If they stay on anything after the 1st fee is non costing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Reason for charging for uniforms is because there is such a huge turn over in staff.

If they stay on anything after the 1st fee is non costing.

I wonder why there such a high turnover?

I wonder why there such a high turnover?

At the moment there's a higher turnover of fire extinguishers than personnel.

Fuk you...I spit out me tea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Matthew Gleeson

McDonald’s and Ryanair both do this

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Matthew Gleeson

Sorry if it’s already been asked. But any idea what’s the roster at DC?

Sorry if it’s already been asked. But any idea what’s the roster at DC?

You're fine, it's any 5 days over 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

some of the 181 are going on to the Belfast route and the 171 are going to go on other routes the 1st 181 route branded is 181-KE-1464 and was in Belfast this afternoon for a video promo for the 400/M1 serivce they have also singed a deal for 60 new Mercedes-Benz Tourismo the first of which will arrive in September it should work out at 6 a year. Most 171 Reg to Ennis Route and 161 Reg and 142 Reg in kerry probably

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

some of the 181 are going on to the Belfast route and the 171 are going to go on other routes the 1st 181 route branded is 181-KE-1464 and was in Belfast this afternoon for a video promo for the 400/M1 serivce they have also singed a deal for 60 new Mercedes-Benz Tourismo the first of which will arrive in September it should work out at 6 a year. Most 171 Reg to Ennis Route and 161 Reg and 142 Reg in kerry probably
    The rate there going on fire and breaking down. by the time the final 6 is delivered they will probably be the only ones left in the fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Passed a 09 reg coach broken down at the bus stop outside the ibis at the Red cow junction yesterday afternoon. Looked to be sitting in a puddle of coolant.

Saw a pic on Facebook of another one broken down at the airport roundabout in Dublin yesterday ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

McDonald’s and Ryanair both do this

Shameful practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

This post has been deleted.

as far as i know they can't do anything as it's a commercial service.
    something does need to be done though IMO

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The rate there going on fire and breaking down. by the time the final 6 is delivered they will probably be the only ones left in the fleet.

It's a bit like the Battle of Britain at this stage, dublin coaches going down in flames all over the country :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

as far as i know they can't do anything as it's a commercial service.
    something does need to be done though IMO

Not disbelieving You EOTR, but are You saying because it's a commercial business NOTHING can be done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Not disbelieving You EOTR, but are You saying because it's a commercial business NOTHING can be done?

i'm saying that i don't think the NTA can do anything. not that nothing can be done by anyone. the authorities very much can do something i'd imagine.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement